• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Valravn

FPS is around 60-90, mostly 75. 2560x1440, 980 sli, 4790k @ 4.4 ghz and 16 gb ram.
Hairworks and motion blur are disabled. I hate motion blur.

Just FYI, this isn't the first time Kepler underperformed compared to everything else in a game. In Far Cry 4, the regular 290 was nearly 30% faster than the 780, which is the same case in Witcher 3: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/07/far_cry_4_video_card_performance_review/6

hardocp said:
The GTX 780 and 770 are bad for this game in terms of performance. You'd be better off with the AMD Radeon R9 280X which will offer a better experience compared to either of those video cards. Compared to the GTX 760 the AMD R9 270X would also be better.

I don't know if NVIDIA ever 'fixed' Far Cry 4 performance, but considering how the problem persists across an entirely different engine, it's probably going to be a thing in several future games.

My 6-year-old PC with AMD cpu and gpu combo runs the Witcher 3 on ultra (w/o hairworks) at 1080p 35 fps.

AMD PhenomII x4 955 BE 3,2Ghz
AMD HD 7870 Ghz edition 2Gb
Memory 8Gb

I've only played for about 30 minutes (gotta go to work) and didn't experience anything weird/crash.
The game's beautiful and well optimized, even without a dedicated driver from AMD.

That's promising for me, I have a 955BE and a 270x(only slightly better.) Really need to finish Witcher 2 first though!

Played my first few hours, game is pretty cool and the trees/foliage are just insane. A bit surprised that the animation of Gerald is PS2 era quality...

Had one crash straight to Desktop. Did not seem GPU/CPU related. Looking at playthroughs on YT, even the console versions crash. Game needs patches.

It was the same in TW2. I hated Geralts walk/run animation in that game, considering how good everything else looked, the bad animation stuck out like a sore thumb

Is there any one-stop-shop post of ini tweaks i might have missed anywhere?

I only played 30 mins last night but it looks incredible. Dat cutscene when the wild hunt showed up, holy shit.

Gloam

Got the game running on my computer which is well below minimum specs: C2Duo e8400, GTX 460, 4GB Ram. Had to halve a lot of the values in the rendering .ini file but the game seems to be running well enough in a window, ugly as sin though. Just hope my computer doesn't melt!

King_Moc

Banned
Are the freezes related to 970?

My 660ti can run this game on 30fps on medium-high settings and I had no freezes or crashes so far.
Still, I just ordered a 970.
Was this a mistake? :(

Mines been fine. I have around 60fps on ultra with some overclocking.

Cross posting from the i3/750Ti thread.

I recall a few people asking about performance on a GTX 570. Here's my rig:

Stock 2500k
GTX 570
12GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Here are my game settings:

GvGAsp3.jpg

I have it capped at 30. It's locked most of time, the lowest I've seen it go is 26 or 27. Of course i'm still very early on, so it could all go down the toilet at some stage. Could be tweaked more, but i'm happy with it.

A random screenshot:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rolled back to the GTAV drivers. Still a lot of stuttering. It's most prevalent in towns, with issues like NPCs sometimes popping in to existence right in front of me.

It's like the game is choking with data streaming.

It definitely helps, but it still eats up 5-10 or more FPS for me.

With HairWorks off, I see about 40 FPS outside. When I turn it on (with the "fix") my frame rates drop to about 30. Before the fix, I was plummeting down to 20-25.

I'm still going to keep it off for the time being because the performance hit just isn't worth it.

Works well, using a 290x.

Ty was gonna go with my 970 to see if I could get performance with hair works, Now I can stay with my main rig.

Edit: wrong person quoted but yea....... Lazy now

The_Poet

Banned
3570k @ 4.4
970 SLI OC

1080p Ultra w/everything + hair

I could barely get over 45fps until I switched from borderless windowed to fullscreen, now I'm locked 60. It's something to try if you haven't yet and your performance is baffling you.

I call bullshit.

EDIT: didnt see SLI lol.

Does anyone know how CPU tied the game is? Any benchmarks available for different CPU clocks?

In other words, is it worth OCing for this game?

I got a 960, i5 and 8gb of ram.

If anyone else is it my boat, what settings do you use?

Also when i go to fullscreen mode the game crashes...

Asskicker

Does anyone know how to get Shadows (HBAO+) working on grass? Everythings on ultra but no grass casts a shadow.

Any way to do this for PC? Just tried 1 instead of 2 and it didn't work :(

edit: whoops meant KB&M

Yeah, that would be nice. Annoying that it keeps popping up, even though I don't even have a controller plugged in.

Selecting fullscreen makes my monitor go blank and i cant even alt+tab out, then i reset computer and it take bout 30secondsmfor monitor to kick in...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I am really pleased so far with my rig.

I7 3770k
SLI 970 FTWs
16GB Ram
256GB Intel SSD
W8.1

Running at 4k all settings Ultra, AA On, AF Forced, and Hairworks on.

I get a constant 30 FPS in gameplay, though it does drop to 28 or so during some conversations, and it's not enough to distract from anything .

0 crashes yet on my setup.

Been playing for like 10 hours. Haven't left the prologue area yet. Amazing game.

Tankshell

So having had multiple CTD and freezes on launch night. I played last night for a solid 7 hours with NO problems, no crashes whatsoever, I changed the following things:

- removed the slight overclock from my GPU (which had never caused any problems before)
- changed the in game setting for framelimit to 'no limit' (all the way to left)
- turned the in game vsync setting OFF
- enabled adaptive Vsync via Nvidia control panel
- set the power mode to 'Maximum performance' in Nvidia control panel

ru55lee

Neo Member
I have an i7 3930k @ 3.8ghz with 2 GTX 670 FTW 4GB. I get a nice 60fps with a mixture of high and ultra with no hairworks. I tried using the 30fps lock so I can run everything on ultra but it seems really jittery.

So jittery it's hard to see the effects of hairworks :/

I also have massive problems with jitter.
Tried forcing 30fps inside the game and RadeonPro (Double Vsync) but it´s still there.
Looks very ugly and makes the game a chore to play.
Even the cutscenes are eye-straining to watch. :(

Guys, do I only need to use the control panels adaptive refresh (half). Or do I need riva's limiter and the ingame 30fps limiter as well to get judder-free gameplay?

Only using the ingame one worked fine yesterday, but today it judders like crazy

im getting a wierd pixel grid when playing in fullscreen. does anyone know what thats about? playing in 1080p 144hz with gsync

I am not sure if what I am thinking of is what you are describing but try turning off Antialising - Transparency in the nVidia control panel.

I noticed that white geese had lines running across them in segments. I also had this problem in Wolfenstein: New Order (faces were segmented by pixelled lines) and found that switching this setting off fixed it.

Man I don't get it. I can't get sli to work with W3 with my 980's sli, but it works fine on my other system with titans Sli. The systems aren't identical by any means, but, WTF!!!!! I want to play the game.

danthefan

So guys, have an i7 something or other (over clocked to about 4.2GHz), 16GB memory and a 580GTX.

Any idea how it will run? I think the card may be an issue.

Shadownet

Banned
So I got a GTX 970, I'm getting mostly 60fps on 1080p right now.

But sometimes (like very rarely) I suddenly get fps drop if I either spin the camera or take a step in any direction. Its so weird. Like it would go from 60 to 5fps real fast and then bounce back up.
-----
Is there any settings that you can turn down from Ultra to High or Medium that doesn't really make that big of a difference that will give you more fps?

MisterM

I also have massive problems with jitter.
Tried forcing 30fps inside the game and RadeonPro (Double Vsync) but it´s still there.
Looks very ugly and makes the game a chore to play.
Even the cutscenes are eye-straining to watch. :(

Have you tried forcing 30fps with RadeonPro and using Unlimited in-game?

I'm using that plus Double Vsync (no triple buffering) and I felt it was acceptable for 30fps. Much better than in-game 30fps lock + in-game Vsync.

King_Moc

Banned
So I got a GTX 970, I'm getting mostly 60fps on 1080p right now.

But sometimes (like very rarely) I suddenly get fps drop if I either spin the camera or take a step in any direction. Its so weird. Like it would go from 60 to 5fps real fast and then bounce back up.
-----
Is there any settings that you can turn down from Ultra to High or Medium that doesn't really make that big of a difference that will give you more fps?

Most obvious one is foliage distance from ultra to high. That was the difference between 50fps and 60fps for me. Maybe the same for shadows, though I'm no sure how much impact that has.

What doesn't work?

Sli doesn't work with my 980's for some reason. I see a few people having the same issue on the geforce forums - but now that I got sli to work on my other system with my titans, I don't know.

I really don't want to swap GPU's just to see if for some reason the gpus are now suddenly conflicting with something on the system.

Gibbo

do movies run like crap for anyone else? The real time cutscenes seem ok after the ini fiz. But FMV videos still stutter a fairbit

OK i'm pretty impressed with my 960.

30FPS lock with high/ultra settings with all post processing turned on.

My TV is 50hz so can't get 60 anyway, which I just found out now using fraps.

Does this mean all this time 60fps games on the Xbox were only displaying at 50?

EDIT: Found I could pick 60hz in my monitor settings on the TV. Clicking this now it displays up to 60 in fraps everything seems sweet.

OK i'm pretty impressed with my 960.

30FPS lock with high/ultra settings with all post processing turned on.

My TV is 50hz so can't get 60 anyway, which I just found out now using fraps.

Does this mean all this time 60fps games on the Xbox were only displaying at 50?

Try to set vsync off and then on, it'll probably do 60. Do you have an AMD card? I had this problem with my old 6850; games would default to 50hz because the hdmi wouldn't go over 59 so it defaulted to the nearest round number down.

Have you tried forcing 30fps with RadeonPro and using Unlimited in-game?

I'm using that plus Double Vsync (no triple buffering) and I felt it was acceptable for 30fps. Much better than in-game 30fps lock + in-game Vsync.
Thats what I tried.

Will wait for New AMD drivers and the first patches.

I have an older version and was thinking I might need to replace it sometime. What's the deal with your new ones?

I should've checked this before I left, way late with replying. I had a Naga Molten that developed the click and hold issue with the LMB, contacted Razer back in 2013 before the warranty ended but never saw a reply, but it stopped happening for a while and I kind of forgot about it until it came back with vengeance later. Contacted them again late last year and even though by that time my warranty ran out they still replaced it because of my contacting them before.

They replaced it with the Naga 2014, it's all fine and good, I like the more clicky number pad, I actually leave the light on since it's not as intense and generating heat like the Molten would but not crazy about the front/back button placement but the problem is with the rubber pad they added to the side for your pinky to rest against, it's really more of an annoyance but the glue they used ends up oozing out from under the pad makes a sticky mess. It seems to be a rather widespread issue from what I've seen and when it happens again with replacement number three I'm just going to peel the pad off, clean up and put some other glue under it because it doesn't seem like the problem is going to go away. On the bright side I'll have a couple other Naga 2014s to use for replacement parts.

I gave up using Logitech mice after also having the same issue my Naga Molten had and I think I went through at least four G7 mice over the course of three or four years and after the last one ended up with the same problem I gave up (even though Logitech replaced it every time for free and would have again) and got my first Naga which also developed that same problem, it's annoying because I was barely a PC gamer for all that time and what gaming I did do was mostly restricted to WoW and I wasn't a clicker. I still have my old HP, trackball mouse from 2003 that works fine and am currently using until the replacement arrives and the only problems I've ever had with it has been needing to take it apart to clean the crap out of it every once in awhile. I just don't like using it anymore after being so use to a laser mouse and having so many buttons available but at least it's durable.

Try to set vsync off and then on, it'll probably do 60. Do you have an AMD card? I had this problem with my old 6850; games would default to 50hz because the hdmi wouldn't go over 59 so it defaulted to the nearest round number down.

Found out the problem, had to set the propertys of my monitor.

But now that I have a locked 30fps with pretty much high/ultra, I dunno if I can drop it down to get 60fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aight, my stuttering is definitely performance related, probably something to do with the tweaks I've applied. Stock ultra stutters much less, but still a little. Low doesn't stutter at all.

I'm not dropping below 30fps though, so I wonder what exactly is causing the stuttering, what part of my hardware is bottlenecking, or what in the engine is choking that maybe could be fixed. Draw distance might be the culprit, which makes me wonder if it's my i5.

Fucking great, my gtx 970 has just died...getting crazy coloured blocks and missing textures all over the screen before it freezes.... :( tried other games, definitely the GPU :(

Top Bottom