• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With polls showing he might lose Utah, Utah GOP asks Trump to campaign in the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty

Not surprising. The response among the Republicans I personally know towards Trump is indifferent if not down right hostile. His only saving grace in this state seems to be that Hillary Clinton is just as disliked as he is.

If you are a Republican and have to campaign in Utah of all places you are fucked, just fucked.

If this makes Hilary decided to campaign here as well I might actually go to see her.

Not surprising. The response among the Republicans I personally know towards Trump is indifferent if not down right hostile. His only saving grace in this state seems to be that Hillary Clinton is just as disliked as he is.

If you are a Republican and have to campaign in Utah of all places you are fucked, just fucked.

If this makes Hilary decided to campaign here as well I might actually go to see her.
first of all, no she's not.

second of all, why is she so disliked in the first place (if it is something sensible and not some stupid sexist bullshit)?

Darkgran

Trump is absolutely hated here. My brother in law who is a hard core conservative guy is voting for Hillary because Trump talked shit about his golden boy Romney. I'm hearing it everywhere.

avaya

Trump is absolutely hated here. My brother in law who is a hard core conservative guy is voting for Hillary because Trump talked shit about his golden boy Romney. I'm hearing it everywhere.

This news sustains me. It gives me hope.

Jeff-DSA

Trump is amazingly disliked here. He's the punchline of the majority of jokes right now. Democrats, Republicans, and Independents are all on the "anybody but Trump" bandwagon.

With or without Romney speaking up, Trump was never going to be popular in Utah. He's just a poor fit for our culture. There's a real chance that Clinton will win the state.

People here really hate him. The Mormon church is surprisingly good about the refugees and Muslims, and they try to maintain an air of respectability and everyday decency that Trump runs completely counter to. With most of our population being Mormon, and a sizable chunk being Latino plus our economy doing pretty good... This is probably the worst of the red states for him.

Trump is amazingly disliked here. He's the punchline of the majority of jokes right now. Democrats, Republicans, and Independents are all on the "anybody but Trump" bandwagon.

With or without Romney speaking up, Trump was never going to be popular in Utah. He's just a poor fit for our culture. There's a real chance that Clinton will win the state.

anigif_enhanced-31611-1432824437-19.gif

It's anecdotal, but it's still so delicious to hear.

massoluk

Banned
Chances of him offending Mormon even more with his mouth while campaigning in Utah because he doesn't really understand Mormon?

RoKKeR

Anecdotal again, but yes, Trump is hated by many here. Some of my coworkers are hardcore conservatives but would never vote for Trump. His demeanor and attacks on religious liberty are so far removed from many of the Mormon values that define the state at large. Plus, him taking aim at Mitt Romney is idiotic and certainly does him no favors. Furthermore, as others have said, Utah has a growing Mexican population.

Any return to Utah will be met with heavy protest. (true in many parts of the country) The one event he held during primary season was the source of a fairly large protest. (one I ended up in the middle of, actually)

I remembered toying with the idea of a Hilary win in Utah a few months ago, but now it seems like there is a chance it might just happen. Trump suffered his worst loss of the primary season in Utah, and I feel that voters here will go for "anyone else" before Trump. I know Gary Johnson's campaign headquarters are in SLC, I could see him getting a solid share of the vote.

Almighty

first of all, no she's not.

In Utah? Yes, yes she is. The polls show it and my anecdotal expedience shows it as well. The most common thing I have hard when talking politics is "I dislike/hate Trump, but Hillary Clinton isn't much better."

second of all, why is she so disliked in the first place (if it is something sensible and not some stupid sexist bullshit)?

On that your guess is as good as mine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Remember when politics used to be about policies and making the country/peoples' lives better?

no
In the race between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson for president in 1800, Jefferson called Adams "a blind, bald, crippled, toothless man who is a hideous hermaphroditic character with neither the force and fitness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wonder why Utah is so much more susceptible to turning on Trump than the other republican states.

Surely there has to be more than Utahns valuing "consistency and predictability" like the article says.

The reason why Utah is so heavily mormon is because before Utah was a state, Mormons were driven out of the rest of the US. Utah was a land where mormon ex-american refugees settled.

Needless to say, Mormons are not a fan of religious persecution, and that's the heart and soul of Trump's campaign.

Steel

Banned
Point out a time in our country's history where this is the case; where a politician did the "right thing" at the cost of their political clout/position

Pretty much Lincoln's entire presidency(hell, he even did some things that were outright illegal)? The Civil Rights Act also ousted the dixiecrats and turned them to the pubs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, I'm not getting this article.

The Utah GOP is worried that Trump might lose the state in the general. This is no doubt due to the fact that Trump is incredibly unpopular. So the Utah GOP's solution is to...expose himself even more to the people of Utah? Wha?

Wonder why Utah is so much more susceptible to turning on Trump than the other republican states.

Surely there has to be more than Utahns valuing "consistency and predictability" like the article says.

Flat out questioning the faith of another candidate who happens to be a prominent member of the local religion will do that.

Trump is a perpetual line stepper, and I can see how people of the Mormon faith would be aghast at him taking shots at Romney.

The Utah GOP is worried that Trump might lose the state in the general. This is no doubt due to the fact that Trump is incredibly unpopular. So the Utah GOP's solution is to...expose himself even more to the people of Utah? Wha?

Shhh.

rjinaz

My dirty mind says, gee, thanks for that imagery.

Seriously though, Trump should stay out of Utah, there is no good he can do there.

Trump's greatest hits against Romney

Mitt was begging for it. I could have told him "drop to your knees"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv8M66ZbAZA

This is so amazing. Trump goes in on Romney losing due to demeaning 47% of the US.

How much of the US populace do we think Trump has demeaned so far?

Hispanics make up ~16.5% and he's been far more offensive to them than Romney ever was to the 47% from what I remember

Muslims are I think ~1% of the US

Is it safe to assume Trump has said terrible things about Blacks and Woman?

That would be another 12% of the US by race and like 51.5% by gender

Steel

Banned
This is so amazing. Trump goes in on Romney losing due to demeaning 47% of the US.

How much of the US populace do we think Trump has demeaned so far?

Hispanics make up ~16.5% and he's been far more offensive to them than Romney ever was to the 47% from what I remember

Muslims are I think ~1% of the US

Is it safe to assume Trump has said terrible things about Blacks and Woman?

That would be another 12% of the US by race and like 51.5% by gender

Don't forget the chinese. And Japanese.

Trump is openly ridiculed within the several Mormon churches I've been to here in Utah. Ultimately, I don't think there is much he could even do to sway Mormons to like him, his saving grace in Utah is convincing the die-hard republicans here that Hillary is more evil than Trump.

Disgusting. At the same time, I know as election season gets nearer, the First Presidency of the Church is going to be very clear on the need for the members of the church to go vote. They're pretty good at mobilizing the membership in an emergency lol.

Today I learned my brother (he's 15) is a Trump supporter.

I don't know what to say. How could this happen, under the same roof as me?

He says Hillary is clearly the greater evil. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say about Trump, he just yelled at me.

I'm just at a loss here. I didn't know what else to do so I banned him from using my gaming PC for a week (which I went back on because taking him from what he wants to do will only drive him farther away)

My parents too, they just questioned how he could not see evil.

It's the kids, guys. He's going to go for the kids.

Lesath

He says Hillary is clearly the greater evil. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say about Trump, he just yelled at me.

I'm just at a loss here. I didn't know what else to do so I banned him from using my gaming PC for a week (which I went back on because taking him from what he wants to do will only drive him farther away)

Give him a break, he's 15. Why, when I was 19, I actually bought Ron Paul's rhetoric for a while. With luck he'll grow out of it.

Risette

A Good Citizen

He's a kid. Just pat his head condescendingly and tell him he can't vote anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom