• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With PSVR 2 gaining PC support, what's the best PC VR option moving forward?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I've been contemplating diving into this space now that I have a PC that can take advantage of high-fidelity VR, and I had been leaning towards the Meta Quest 3....

But, making the assumption that PSVR 2 works on PC correctly and in a full-featured manner, would that be the preferable headset for PC VR?

I see a decent amount of PSVR 2 headsets on Facebook Marketplace for pretty cheap ($300 or less), and it's kind of tempting if/when I can use it with my PC.

Quest 3. If you don't have a VR device and are looking for one, Trial a Quest 3 at Best Buy if you can. People really need to try VR before they buy.

Minsc

Gold Member
As a Quest 3 owner, while I'm pretty excited to test the PSVR2 on PC, I don't expect it to replace the Quest 3 by any means.

But depending on your timetable, the Quest 2 Pro which should have more news this year - is possibly going to be a nice marriage of a higher end headset like AVP with VR/gaming. So it could be a huge step up from the Quest 3, like the Quest 3 was to the Quest 2.

Bry0

Strictly for PC? Still the quest 3.

I'd only recommend getting the PSVR2 if you also have a PS5 where you will use it extensively. But even still, we don't know what the PC support looks like and how good it will be.
I have both quest 3 and psvr2 and I have to agree with this 100%.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn, the Quest 3 is really that good huh? I never touch my Quest 2 anymore, so I haven’t been able to justify a 3.

I actually recently sold a design to Digital Foundry that they’re going to use for their merch, so maybe I’ll put that money towards a Quest 3. 🤔

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Meta Quest 2 or 3.

You spend either $250 or $500, and you’ve got the most popular PC compatible VR device, that includes its own platform that allows for wireless play.

PSVR2 only makes sense if you’ve got a PS5, and even then you’re losing out on wireless VR gaming.

XXL

I think the PSVR2 haptics (headset and controller) and the PSVR2 controllers are much better than any fidelity gains from the Quests lenses, which are minimal at best.

Guns feel amazing on PSVR2.

I'll mention, I own the Quest 2, but not Quest 3.

Crayon

Haven't tried a quest 3 but from what I've heard, it psvr would be better if you have a ps5 and pc, but quest would get you pc + standalone.

The psvr should really be $100 cheaper though. It's very nice but you have to look at the sales.

Couple of things I don't like straight off the bat: separate power adapter. Guess they needed more amps than what usb can provide? but I have multiple displayport to usb-c cables that have integrated usb-a plugs for powering the cable and they work absolutely great.

Based on the video above, it's totally weak sauce about the bluetooth situation. The adapter should absolutely have had it's own BT module in it if you need to be so pedantic about getting the "perfect" adapter. This feels worse than the mess that is finding compatible BT adapters to work with wiimotes.

I'm probably not going to bite on this, seems half-assed.

Couple of things I don't like straight off the bat: separate power adapter. Guess they needed more amps than what usb can provide? but I have multiple displayport to usb-c cables that have integrated usb-a plugs for powering the cable and they work absolutely great.

Based on the video above, it's totally weak sauce about the bluetooth situation. The adapter should absolutely have had it's own BT module in it if you need to be so pedantic about getting the "perfect" adapter. This feels worse than the mess that is finding compatible BT adapters to work with wiimotes.

I'm probably not going to bite on this, seems half-assed.
I’ll wait to see how widespread the issue is. Worst case scenario is get a new $15 Bluetooth adapter.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Damn, the Quest 3 is really that good huh? I never touch my Quest 2 anymore, so I haven’t been able to justify a 3.

I actually recently sold a design to Digital Foundry that they’re going to use for their merch, so maybe I’ll put that money towards a Quest 3. 🤔
Meh the quest three is better but it’s not night and day from my perspective. It’s basically like a yearly upgrade from iPhones. Not needed if you got a quest 2 and are not hard core into VR. Maybe quest 4 will be a better bump

Delt31

So I love VR and have all of the headset outside of Pimax as they usually let you down and move on.

By far, Vision Pro is the king but if you’re into games, it’s not the one.

I have quest 3. It’s incredible for the price. Bigrscreen beyond absolutely smokes it. More expensive but for people saying PSVR2 (which I have too) or Quest 3 are PCVR kings, absolute joke. But if you want super low cost and something that is good, sure - quest 3.

I have quest 3 for the exclusives And the citra emu. It’s good but don’t kid yourself thinking it’s the ideal headset For pcvr. If it’s quest 3 or PSVR2, quest 3 imo

and people are delusional if they think quest 3 is better than vision pro

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
PSVR2 most likely will be the way to go for PCVR for the time being.
That doesn't make sense to me. What gap does the PSVR2 fill in the PCVR market. I can't see why PC gamers would get a PSVR2, it's partly old tech and the adapter doesn't even take full advantage of its features. The Quest will continue to be the sensible choice for most people as you can use both as untethered standalone and untethered PCVR. And if a pure PCVR headset is your thing you still have the full range from solid and affordable headsets like the Pimax Crystal Light, all the way to massively superior (and expensive) headsets like the Somnium VR1.

Last edited:
I've been contemplating diving into this space now that I have a PC that can take advantage of high-fidelity VR, and I had been leaning towards the Meta Quest 3....

But, making the assumption that PSVR 2 works on PC correctly and in a full-featured manner, would that be the preferable headset for PC VR?

I see a decent amount of PSVR 2 headsets on Facebook Marketplace for pretty cheap ($300 or less), and it's kind of tempting if/when I can use it with my PC.
Unfortunately it's the Quest 3 until we get the new upcoming headsets from Lenovo and Samsung.

So I love VR and have all of the headset outside of Pimax as they usually let you down and move on.

By far, Vision Pro is the king but if you’re into games, it’s not the one.

I have quest 3. It’s incredible for the price. Bigrscreen beyond absolutely smokes it. More expensive but for people saying PSVR2 (which I have too) or Quest 3 are PCVR kings, absolute joke. But if you want super low cost and something that is good, sure - quest 3.

I have quest 3 for the exclusives And the citra emu. It’s good but don’t kid yourself thinking it’s the ideal headset For pcvr. If it’s quest 3 or PSVR2, quest 3 imo

and people are delusional if they think quest 3 is better than vision pro
Vision pro is a shitty PCVR headset because of the lackluster windows integration.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Is it going to be fully compatible or missing features. Tempted to get one for pc
no eye tracking, no hdr, no headset haptics. It's such a damn shame, as it could have been a top notch PC HMD. You still get OLED, but they are paired with fresnel lenses. It should be perfectly fine with sim games, where you are mostly stationary. I heard the headstrap allows the headset to shift with aggressive movements, but I have only used one once and didn't move around much, so I cannot confirm. If you don't already own a headset, still a good deal for $350.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense to me. What gap does the PSVR2 fill in the PCVR market. I can't see why PC gamers would get a PSVR2, it's partly old tech and the adapter doesn't even take full advantage of its features. The Quest will continue to be the sensible choice for most people as you can use both as untethered standalone and untethered PCVR. And if a pure PCVR headset is your thing you still have the full range from solid and affordable headsets like the Pimax Crystal Light, all the way to massively superior (and expensive) headsets like the Somnium VR1.
This has the combo of being cheap And having OLED. Maybe someday haptic can be added in which would be best in class.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For what it's worth, Digital Foundys John Linneman says the Quest 3 is by far the superior headset of the two, for various reasons.

Better displays and wireless operation among them
I can understand why he would say that but for dark games and space games that LCD grey is horrible on Quest3.
Looking forward to picking up PSVR2 for those types of PC VR games.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It should be perfectly fine with sim games, where you are mostly stationary.
The tiny sweet spot from the outdated optics is a big problem, especially for flight simulation. As a sim-enthusiast you would be somewhat crazy to consider the PSVR2 for this if you already didn't have one. When it comes to optics Meta is at the forefront, the Quest has a massive sweet spot, perhaps even better than headsets at many times the cost. I know some real-world fighter pilots using the Quest 3 in DCS VR for that reason (and for being untethered).

Last edited:

Three

As far as I know it's missing some features like eye tracking.
I assume this is game/API related and since Quest 3 doesn't have eye tracking there is very little game support for eye tracking to begin with. If Sony decide to port their games they're likely to support eye tracking too.

Three

And if a pure PCVR headset is your thing you still have the full range from solid and affordable headsets like the Pimax Crystal Light, all the way to massively superior (and expensive) headsets like the Somnium VR1.
The Pimax crystal light is $700 with no controllers. You can get a PSVR2 for $350 with controllers.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The Pimax crystal light is $700. You can get a PSVR2 for $350.
Yeah; I've seen the same argument for consoles vs PCs.. But it doesn't quite work like that.

And the Pimax Crystal Light is better in almost every regard. Which is why it's sold out for the next two-three months (afaik).

Last edited:

Three

Yeah; I've seen the same argument for consoles vs PCs.. But it doesn't quite work like that.

And the Pimax Crystal Light is better in almost every regard. Which is why it's sold out for at least the next three months.
What doesn't work like that? People were complaining about $550. $700 minimum spec and no controllers for Pimax is a big ask.

PSVR2 is a much more affordable option with pretty much all the things the Light has (plus more that the Pimax Light doesn't have except they're not officially supported on PC like eye tracking, haptics, HDR etc)

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
What doesn't work like that?

If the argument were true that "consoles are cheaper than PCs!" and it was solely about price, then simply nobody would use PCs. Same with VR. It's a distinct market (this isn't breaking news). Those who are interested in flexible use already bought a Quest, and those who didn't and are typical PC gamers most likely have the funds to go premium. Thus in my opinion it's unlikely that many PC gamers will switch to PSVR2 simply because of the price.

Three

If the argument were true that "consoles are cheaper than PCs!" and it was solely about price, then simply nobody would use PCs. Same with VR. It's a distinct market (this isn't breaking news). Those who are interested in flexible use already bought a Quest, and those who didn't and are typical PC gamers most likely have the funds to go premium. Thus in my opinion it's unlikely that many PC gamers will switch to PSVR2 simply because of the price.

And yet a lot of PCs out there are lower spec machines that people are adamant cost the same as consoles anyway. Nobody is saying it's all about price but the PSVR2 is a great VR headset and more affordable. You were talking about affordability specifically when you mentioned Pimax Light. It's expensive in comparison and comes with nothing, more expensive than the Quest even. I doubt the Pimax is getting many unit sales so I'm not sure why you think that's more relevant than PSVR2 when it comes to how many. I'm sure there are more PSVR2 unit sales with Quest being much higher.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
What doesn't work like that?

$700 minimum spec and no controllers for Pimax is a big ask.

It's not, it's sold out. And the majority of the rest of the market already bought a Quest. And even a cheaper version of the Quest 3 is on the way. Anyway, as you probably already know, PCVR has tons of other cheaper headsets than the CL, it was just as an example.

PSVR2 is a much more affordable option with pretty much all the things the Light has
It was an example. But the CL has superior optics and flexible configuration, which its target market (the sim-market) see as crucial (no wonder).

Three

Who's making an argument that its solely about price though? You're trying to make it seem like the PSVR2 isn't a good option though by suggesting there are already affordable options like the Pimax Light. Which costs $700 with no controllers. I just said the PSVR2 is a good high end headset that can be bought for $350 and comes with controllers. That's it.
It's not, it's sold out. And the majority of the rest of the market already bought a Quest. And even a cheaper version of the Quest 3 is on the way. Anyway, as you probably already know, PCVR has tons of other cheaper headsets than the CL, it was just as an example.

It was an example. But the CL has superior optics and flexible configuration, which its target market (the sim-market) see as crucial (no wonder).
Because they produce very few units and rely mostly on batch preorders. They did the same on release. Not because they have a huge amount of sales. They don't even register on the marketshare charts:

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
And yet a lot of PCs out there are lower spec machines that people are adamant cost the same as consoles anyway. Nobody is saying it's all about price but the PSVR2 is a great VR headset and more affordable. You were talking about affordability specifically when you mentioned Pimax Light. It's expensive in comparison and comes with nothing, more expensive than the Quest even. I doubt the Pimax is getting many unit sales so I'm not sure why you think that's more relevant than PSVR2 when it comes to how many. I'm sure there are more PSVR2 unit sales with Quest being much higher.

My point is that the PSVR2 is irrelevant in an already saturated PCVR market, and especially in the untethered PCVR compatible market which it's often compared to in this thread. You latched onto the CL when I was pointing out the range, which both the Quest and older cheap PCVR headsets are an important part of. I didn't mention it because it's obvious. I mean, there are more expensive and better headsets than even the Somnium VR1.

I just said the PSVR2 is a good high end headset
It's not a high end headset. The Somnium VR1 or the Varjo XR4 are high end headsets. The PSVR2 is not even slightly comparable (and so are the prices of course, but that's not the point in this instance)

Last edited:

Three

My point is that the PSVR2 is irrelevant in an already saturated PCVR market, and especially in the untethered PCVR compatible market which it's often compared to in this thread. You latched onto the CL when I was pointing out the range, which both the Quest and older cheap PCVR headsets is an important part of. I didn't mention it because it's obvious. I mean, there are more expensive and better headsets than even the Somnium VR1.
Yes I understand what you were trying to do but my point is that the PSVR2 is more relevant both in terms of marketshare and in terms of affordability than the Pimax example you seem to think is more relevant.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yes I understand what you were trying to do but my point is that the PSVR2 is more relevant both in terms of marketshare and in terms of affordability than the Pimax example you seem to think is more relevant.
Not (CL and cheaper headsets) in the PCVR compatible market. Again; You'd be crazy to buy a PSVR2 instead of a Quest 3 in most circumstances.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I assume this is game/API related and since Quest 3 doesn't have eye tracking there is very little game support for eye tracking to begin with. If Sony decide to port their games they're likely to support eye tracking too.
I think it just doesn't support it

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My feeling is if you own a PS5, then go PSVR2. That way one headset for both platforms.

If you don’t own a PS5 then Quest 3 offers so much more since it’s a new platform that offers its own exclusives. Plus Meta is supporting their VR hardware better than Sony.

MScarpa

I think the PSVR2 haptics (headset and controller) and the PSVR2 controllers are much better than any fidelity gains from the Quests lenses, which are minimal at best.

Guns feel amazing on PSVR2.

I'll mention, I own the Quest 2, but not Quest 3.
As someone who owns the Quest 3 and PSVR2, The Quest 3 feels superior as far as fit and finish and quality, again IMO. I wasted money on that PSVR2

Top Bottom