• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With PSVR 2 gaining PC support, what's the best PC VR option moving forward?

What doesn't work like that? People were complaining about $550. $700 minimum spec and no controllers for Pimax is a big ask.

PSVR2 is a much more affordable option with pretty much all the things the Light has (plus more that the Pimax Light doesn't have except they're not officially supported on PC like eye tracking, haptics, HDR etc)
Agreed.

And $700 is being a bit generous. That would be for the lower end model with LED and no local dimming, which would have significantly worse blacks in a game like Resident Evil 8. $800 would give you local dimming and might compete on blacks.

So $350 vs $800 (plus controllers)

Of course like Nemiroff said the clarity you get from those lenses are sharper edge to edge in the Pimax Light, but PSVR2s choice in lenses makes the image a lot brighter. I definitely think for many users PSVR2 is the way to go because the price is great for what you get.

As someone who owns the Quest 3 and PSVR2, The Quest 3 feels superior as far as fit and finish and quality, again IMO. I wasted money on that PSVR2
As someone who has used both Q3 and PSVR2 I'd have to disagree. PSVR2 simply has a much more immersive experience, the only draw back is the edge clarity is blurrier. But of course the FOV, the Blacks, the colours, are all much better on PSVR2. The controller are better on PSVR2 also but that may never come fully supported to PCVR.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
PSVR2s choice in lenses makes the image a lot brighter.

That can't be accurate compared to the like of PCL. Glass aspheric lenses typically only lose about 1% of light throughput, making them generally the best in their class. This is why the image in these devices, often powered by RGB striped QLEDs with local dimming, remain very bright, even in low persistence mode.

Now, the Quest 3 with its pancake lenses however (perhaps even up to 85-90% light lost) that's where you would be right. You really need bright displays (and good batteries...) to make the pancake lenses shine. And "luckily" the Quest does, including having a full sub-pixel array.

Sony notoriously had to compromise low persistence to save display brightness. Even at its dimmest setting of ~60 nits, it's among the headsets with the highest persistence, leading to a blurrier image. Additionally, the OLEDs suffer from a pentile arrangement, which effectively reduces the sub-pixel resolution to about 66%. The result is a blurrier image with poor edge-to-edge clarity (at least you can dial up the fixed foveated rendering and save a lot of processing power.....), aberration, distortion and low sub-pixel resolution, which isn't exactly "high end" VR in 2024. For my use I'd take a Quest 3 with pancake lenses and LCD displays any day.

An interesting tidbit is that a new wave of PCVR headsets are now starting to come with micro-OLEDs (first out Bigscreen Beyond, next up Pimax Crystal Super, and then a floodgate of others)(Apple Vision Pro as well btw), which is another beast entirely. Some of these displays have a brightness of up to around 5000 nits(!), and theoretically they can go all the way up to 15000 nits(!). The future is bright..

Anyway, to be fair, every design involves balance and trade-offs. Ironically, this is why Sony transitioned from aspherical lenses in the PSVR1 to fresnel lenses in the PSVR2. There's no generally perfect configuration for all.

Last edited:
That can't be accurate compared to the like of PCL. Glass aspheric lenses typically only lose about 1% of light throughput, making them generally the best in their class. This is why the image in these devices, often powered by RGB striped QLEDs with local dimming, remain very bright, even in low persistence mode.

Now, the Quest 3 with its pancake lenses however (perhaps even up to 85-90% light lost) that's where you would be right. You really need bright displays (and good batteries...) to make the pancake lenses shine. And "luckily" the Quest does, including having a full sub-pixel array.

Sony notoriously had to compromise low persistence to save display brightness. Even at its dimmest setting of ~60 nits, it's among the headsets with the highest persistence, leading to a blurrier image. Additionally, the OLEDs suffer from a pentile arrangement, which effectively reduces the sub-pixel resolution to about 66%. The result is a blurrier image with poor edge-to-edge clarity (at least you can dial up the fixed foveated rendering and save a lot of processing power.....), aberration, distortion and low sub-pixel resolution, which isn't exactly "high end" VR in 2024. For my use I'd take a Quest 3 with pancake lenses and LCD displays any day.

An interesting tidbit is that a new wave of PCVR headsets are now starting to come with micro-OLEDs (first out Bigscreen Beyond, next up Pimax Crystal Super, and then a floodgate of others)(Apple Vision Pro as well btw), which is another beast entirely. Some of these displays have a brightness of up to around 5000 nits(!), and theoretically they can go all the way up to 15000 nits(!). The future is bright..

Anyway, to be fair, every design involves balance and trade-offs. Ironically, this is why Sony transitioned from aspherical lenses in the PSVR1 to fresnel lenses in the PSVR2. There's no generally perfect configuration for all.
Apologies. You are right that the aspheric lenses are generally good and better than pancake in light loss.

As for comparing quest 3 to PSVR2 I can’t agree. The low FOV, very poor blacks and much dimmer image is no where in the ballpark. Sonys foveated rendering is it’s best feature but who knows if PC can ever take advantage.

Last edited:

Romulus

Apologies. You are right that the aspheric lenses are generally good and better than pancake in light loss.

As for comparing quest 3 to PSVR2 I can’t agree. The low FOV, very poor blacks and much dimmer image is no where in the ballpark. Sonys foveated rendering is it’s best feature but who knows if PC can ever take advantage.

The recent patch improving blacks is a big upgrade for Quest 3. FOV for Quest 3 is higher than psvr2 in my experience too. Sonys own literature stats 110.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you're a PCVR user, best go with Quest for their massive Quest exclusive games, native PCVR support without adapter, wireless, pancake lens and mixed reality. Why get the PSVR2 when most of their games are late Quest or PCVR ports?

My PSVR2 is only for exclusive so it ain't seeing much use. Most of the VR games are already on PC or Quest

Last edited:
The recent patch improving blacks is a big upgrade for Quest 3. FOV for Quest 3 is higher than psvr2 in my experience too. Sonys own literature stats 110.
Definitely not. Going from PSVR2 to quest 3 feels like looking through binoculars. They may say the same number for horizontal but the truth is PSVR2 appears wider. Quest 3 is also only 96 degrees vertical FOV.

I don’t believe you can patch your way to make LCD look like OLED for blacks.

Last edited:

Romulus

Definitely not. Going from PSVR2 to quest 3 feels like looking through binoculars. They may say the same number for horizontal but the truth is PSVR2 appears wider. Quest 3 is also only 96 degrees vertical FOV.

I don’t believe you can patch your way to make LCD look like OLED for blacks.

I have both so its subjective i guess. Psvr2 is definitely not noticeable wider.

Never said the blacks can be equal to psvr2, but they're much improved.

The pancake lenses are the big difference over everything else to me or psvr2 exclusives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom