• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

jett

D-Member
Looked at his Wiki page. Some of the worst movies I watched in theaters he co-wrote/directed, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and now The Mummy.

It unreasonably annoys me that this proven hack keeps getting work.

J_Viper

At least Ben Affleck won't feel bad anymore about being the only AAA actor dragged into a stumbling Cinematic Universe debut

Looked at his Wiki page. Some of the worst movies I watched in theaters he co-wrote/directed, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and now The Mummy.

Placing Into Darkess in the same category as dumpster fires like TF2 and ASM2 is so unfair lol

That movie is totally fine

Prompto

Banned
Also, Scorpion King will beat this if the 30mil projection is legit.
Ouch

Edit:

A1o8jBofp7L._SL1500_.jpg

The Scorpion King Cinematic Universe will probably have more movies in it than the Dark Universe when all is said and done.

GhaleonEB

So I check BoM and WW did $148m through Thursday. That sounds familiar.
Some of this will depend on whether Wonder Woman's Monday had more spill-over business from Sunday than is typical. If it did, we'll get a lower Tuesday increase, which will affect Wed/Thurs holds.

Just using Rough Numbers for now:

Monday: $11.7M
Tuesday: $14.0M (+20%)
Wednesday: $9.8M (-30%)
Thursday: $9.3M (-5%)

Total as of Thursday = $148.2M

$200M by Sunday will require a $51.8M second weekend, which would be a -49.9% drop. 44% without the Thursday previews.

It will be close, but I don't think a sub 50% drop is necessarily a given.

EDIT: And that's assuming that I am not being too generous with the daily drops above, which might be the case. Wednesday could be down closer to 35% and Thursday 10% for instance.

You are a beast, kswiss. Do you do lotto numbers?

Man my interest just evaporated for The Mummy.
"will be at premier"
"maybe Friday night"
"will go at 1:45PM on Friday"
"eh, not right now I'll go a bit later like 4PM..."
"Even with a free ticket and snacks, do I really want to go see it? eh"
"maybe Tuesday or later after E3 stuff"

Its not even the scores that get me, its the specific details that are just destroying it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I haven't seen The Mummy or Dracula Untold, but what's stopping them from combining the two at this point? Bring in that Gaston money.
N O T H I N G
It unreasonably annoys me that this proven hack keeps getting work.
Same.
Too late. It's already got the "Dark Universe" indent and everything. They can't Dracula Untold this.
Eh. A logo doesn't mean much. I mean if they can change the Hulk's actor mid-universe that ain't an issue.

The thing is, Kurtzman already has different plans for the Dracula in Dark Universe. So even internally they don't t want it. :|
Also, also...

Wolfman 2010 will beat it if the projection holds.
It's a better movie so it makes sense.

kswiston

Hollywood Reporter is saying $15M for Wonder Woman and $11M for The Mummy on Friday.

$15M would put WW in contention for a sub-50% drop, but it will depend on Saturday's increase.

kswiston

It looks like The Mummy made $20.5M overseas through Thursday. China's opening will be about $55M, which could end up being double the domestic opening. Expect Universal to spend most of their time ignoring the domestic take, and talking up what will probably be a $150M+ worldwide weekend.

kswiston

boxoffice.com updated their long range predictions

Their initial prediction for The Dark Tower is $42M OW / $107M domestic total

They also bumped up All Eyez on Me to a $20M opening weekend, and dropped Rough Night to a $22M opening weekend.

Baby Driver's OW projection was left at $15M, but they bumped the domestic total prediction to $60M (up 20% from what they had previously). The power of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I finally saw a preview to Baby Driver and it looked pretty good. Maybe I shouldn't have teased it over that title ;-)

Nice Friday number for WW

witness

Hollywood Reporter is saying $15M for Wonder Woman and $11M for The Mummy on Friday.

$15M would put WW in contention for a sub-50% drop, but it will depend on Saturday's increase.

That's a great Friday number for WW! Second viewing tomorrow, just as excited as the first.

I dunno, guys. I think it's going to have a pretty solid weekend. Theater I went to was packed tonight...

for Wonder Woman.

Lima

I hope something saves Valerian. The comics are awesome, the trailers look really good.

Though in all honesty it will probably take the John Carter route. I'll really enjoy it but it will not make very much money at the BO.

ezekial45

Banned
Baby Driver's OW projection was left at $15M, but they bumped the domestic total prediction to $60M (up 20% from what they had previously). The power of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Holy shit, that would be fucking incredible if that happens. I was worried that this movie get eaten alive in such a crowded season, but it may have a chance yet.

ArmGunar

"3rd Update, Friday 11:56PM: No amount of marketing stunts from a 75-foot Sarcophagus in Hollywood to two VR experiences could create any want-to-see for Tom Cruise's latest movie, Universal's The Mummy which is tanking stateside this weekend in second place with an estimated $30.9M behind Warner Bros/DC's Wonder Woman which will own the top spot for a second weekend in a row with $54.3M, -47% and a running cume of $202.1M by Sunday. "

Wow they predict 54.3M for WW, that's pretty awesome
I'll stick with my $50M+ but I thought $50.3M

DiscoJer

The director of Wonder Woman seriously couldn't get another job after Monster for almost 14 years? WTF? That's absolutely insane.

Lima

The director of Wonder Woman seriously couldn't get another job after Monster for almost 14 years? WTF? That's absolutely insane.

She did some TV and was signed on for Thor but left over creative differences. I guess WB give directors more freedom for their vision even when it comes to DC properties.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
She did some TV and was signed on for Thor but left over creative differences. I guess WB give directors more freedom for their vision even when it comes to DC properties.
Remember, when the Russos said, that they could do whatever they wanted in Winter Soldier and just were forced to take SHIELD down in the end? Or how Wakiki tells all the time how much freedome he has?

She has said that she was worried that if her first blockbuster failed it would set back women directing blockbusters in general, so I think it was a combination of Marvel moving away from her pitch (which would have focused more on the Thor/Jane romance), and general anxiety about the whole project.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Remember, when the Russos said, that they could do whatever they wanted in Winter Soldier and just were forced to take SHIELD down in the end? Or how Wakiki tells all the time how much freedome he has?

Remember when Alan Taylor was forced to shoot a new opening for Thor 2 and do reshoots with more Loki?

Thor 2 was fucked from the start. Blessed Patty saw it.

overcast

Holy shit, that would be fucking incredible if that happens. I was worried that this movie get eaten alive in such a crowded season, but it may have a chance yet.
Would 60 million lifetime domestic be good? Feel like that's weak considering the marketing.
Chill dude he cited one incident. I also have trouble believing those directors when the Bros have been given the biggest in the franchise and Waikiki has his movie coming up.

Top Bottom