• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Code:
[U]The Mummy[/U]

Pre:  $2.3M
Fri:  $7.6M/$9.9M
Sat   $9.4M         +23.68%/-5.05%
Sun:  $6.6M         -29.79%

OW:  $25.9M
2nd: $10.2M         -60.62%
3rd:  $5.4M         -47.06%
4th:  $2.6M         -51.85%

DOM:   $68M
INT:  $320M
WW:   $388M
  • I'm going way lower than tracking on The Mummy, which is hovering around $35-40M. Reviews are awful, presales still seem to be in the toilet, and Wonder Woman is easily still the top choice for audiences this week.. all of which giving me vibes akin to Fantastic Four '15 and Warcraft. Despite Universal marketing the hell out of it, there just does not seem to be any enthusiasm around the film. I don't expect legs to be good, either. Not as horrendous as FF or Warcraft, but it will shed theaters very quickly in the coming weeks.
  • The initial international numbers are promising (including an opening day record in South Korea), so I would fully expect this to be another massive overseas performer relative to domestic for Tom Cruise. Don't be surprised if this has one of if not the highest international gross percentage this summer.

Code:
[U]The Top 10[/U]

1) Wonder Woman		         $51.6M   -50.02%
2) The Mummy		         $25.9M 		
3) Captain Underpants 	         $13.4M   -43.82%
4) Pirates of the Caribbean 5    $10.4M	  -52.92%
5) It Comes at Night	          $9.2M 		
6) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2  $5.6M   -43.09%
7) Baywatch		          $4.8M   -45.08%
8) Megan Leavey		          $2.8M 		
9) Everything, Everything         $1.8M   -45.47%
10) Alien: Covenant		  $1.6M   -61.17%
  • Wonder Woman had lower weekdays than I expected, but that's not really a fault of the film, since they're still quite good. I still anticipate the film to drop right around 50%; Man of Steel increased 79% on its second Friday, and the openers this week aren't fit to lick the ass of Monsters U or World War Z.
  • It Comes at Night is opening in roughly 500 more theaters than The Witch, but so far is absent from any presale charts. It doesn't appear it'll do much better than The Witch, then, but I am rooting for it.
  • There is still no official theater count for Megan Leavy, so this is more of a shot in the dark than anything here. One trailer on youtube has nearly 10 million views, which is huge, but I'm skeptical whether audiences will actually show up. Honestly, I won't be surprised if it doubles my prediction.

I'm not sure why the last couple pages of this thread have decided to take dumps all over Spider-Man: Homecoming, but the film is more likely to make $175M in 3 days than in total.

kswiston

I think that Transformers will fight GotG2 and perhaps Spider-Man Homecoming for second place worldwide this summer.

Domestic will be somewhere in the bottom half of the Top 10, I would say.

kswiston

Thinking that Transformers does better domestically than the last one, but just barely.

I think that Transformers will continue to mirror the Pirates series. Maybe not quite as bad as $160M domestic, but I would be pretty surprised to see it pass Age of Extinction.

overcast

Wonder how much It Comes At Night cost to produce. Surely under 20 million.

Still praying for Baby Driver later this month.

kswiston

Code:
[U]The Mummy[/U]

Pre:  $2.3M
Fri:  $7.6M/$9.9M
Sat   $9.4M         +23.68%/-5.05%
Sun:  $6.6M         -29.79%

OW:  $25.9M
2nd: $10.2M         -60.62%
3rd:  $5.4M         -47.06%
4th:  $2.6M         -51.85%

DOM:   $68M
INT:  $320M
WW:   $388M
  • I'm going way lower than tracking on The Mummy, which is hovering around $35-40M. Reviews are awful, presales still seem to be in the toilet, and Wonder Woman is easily still the top choice for audiences this week.. all of which giving me vibes akin to Fantastic Four '15 and Warcraft. Despite Universal marketing the hell out of it, there just does not seem to be any enthusiasm around the film. I don't expect legs to be good, either. Not as horrendous as FF or Warcraft, but it will shed theaters very quickly in the coming weeks.
  • The initial international numbers are promising (including an opening day record in South Korea), so I would fully expect this to be another massive overseas performer relative to domestic for Tom Cruise. Don't be surprised if this has one of if not the highest international gross percentage this summer.

Code:
[U]The Top 10[/U]

1) Wonder Woman		         $51.6M   -50.02%
2) The Mummy		         $25.9M 		
3) Captain Underpants 	         $13.4M   -43.82%
4) Pirates of the Caribbean 5    $10.4M	  -52.92%
5) It Comes at Night	          $9.2M 		
6) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2  $5.6M   -43.09%
7) Baywatch		          $4.8M   -45.08%
8) Megan Leavey		          $2.8M 		
9) Everything, Everything         $1.8M   -45.47%
10) Alien: Covenant		  $1.6M   -61.17%
  • Wonder Woman had lower weekdays than I expected, but that's not really a fault of the film, since they're still quite good. I still anticipate the film to drop right around 50%; Man of Steel increased 79% on its second Friday, and the openers this week aren't fit to lick the ass of Monsters U or World War Z.
  • It Comes at Night is opening in roughly 500 more theaters than The Witch, but so far is absent from any presale charts. It doesn't appear it'll do much better than The Witch, then, but I am rooting for it.
  • There is still no official theater count for Megan Leavy, so this is more of a shot in the dark than anything here. One trailer on youtube has nearly 10 million views, which is huge, but I'm skeptical whether audiences will actually show up. Honestly, I won't be surprised if it doubles my prediction.

I could see WW coming in slightly lower, but all of these look reasonable. The Mummy is smelling like another Ghost in the Shell situation, just with a bit higher floor.

I will probably be seeing It Comes at Night. If not this weekend, then next Tuesday.

kswiston

Almost $19M for The Mummy in its opening day in China. Apparently WOM is terrible though, so many think it will be a one week wonder.

kswiston

$11.5-12.5M Friday for the Mummy according to early Deadline projections.

Deadline is saying $48.5-$51M for Wonder Woman this weekend but don't give an early Friday projection. Sort of funny that they were still clinging to a possible $60M second weekend about 4 hours ago.

No more Krutzman is the only silver lining here.

and I'm loving that.

Also, for those you who missed the line, in the international trailer of Transformers they use 'It's true, all of it' so clearly Bay thinks he's making TFA now.

I also feel that the three hours rumor was on purpose to see if they needed to edit it down, which I'm assuming they're still doing now. Personally, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that a sensible (well, with a different director that would make sense) three hour cut is preferable to BvS theatrical cut. I mean, would people who watch these... things actually care about that? There are a few crazy people on this board too who will defend MoS and BvS, so I imagine it wouldn't matter much to people who are already committed. I suddenly do not envy anyone having to connect the dots on something like this.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was earlier today at the cinema, and there where about 20-30 tickets sold for the most important screening of the friday for the mummy.
About 340 left😂

ollin

No more Krutzman is the only silver lining here.

Looked at his Wiki page. Some of the worst movies I watched in theaters he co-wrote/directed, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and now The Mummy.

I'll go with $38 million OW for Mummy. I could go lower, but I'm banking on enough people just going for the hell of it + Cruise. I think it'll fall right off a cliff immediately after this weekend.

Going to see Wonder Woman tomorrow! First DC film I'll see in theaters since Man of Steel. Shouldn't be hard to leave a better impression than that one.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I guarantee you Universal is still gonna go forward with that Wolfman movie starring the Rock and say that one's the REAL intro to Dark Universe.

Top Bottom