• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Quake1028

Here were the OW predictions from the last thread. All hail BumRush, our lord and savior.

Code:
[U]Username[/U]                          [U]OW$[/U] 
Cooter                            129
CaviarMeths                       120
BronsonLee                        120
witness                           120
Chamber                           116
Kenzodielocke 2                   115
gamz                              115
DarkLordMalik                     110
3N16MA                            105-110
PhoncipleBone                     90-120
[B]BumRush                           103[/B]
Beren the Empty-Handed            100
MHWilliams                        100
Biggest-Geek-Ever                 97.3
Obliterator                       95
StoOge                            95
Prompto                           91.4
Kenzodielocke 1                   90
Penguin                           85

GAMEPROFF

Banned
RIP Marvel Spider-Man deal, when these projections are real. Sony wont be happy about anything under 1bn
RIP. Its over. All hope is gone to have this stuff stick together.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Here were the OW predictions from the last thread. All hail BumRush, our lord and savior.

Code:
Proud to be at the top although I shouldn't be. lol

kswiston

RIP Marvel Spider-Man deal, when these projections are real. Sony wont be happy about anything under 1bn

Sony is clueless if they had $1B pegged as their floor with the current exchange rates. That said, I don't think that they actually have that opinion.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sony is clueless if they had $1B pegged as their floor with the current exchange rates. That said, I don't think that they actually have that opinion.

I would love to see them get the money to ensure the Spider-Man future in the MCU. I am really horrible afraid that this could turn into a continuity nightmare for the MCU. And to continue the Iron Man win streak.
But I expect Sony to have the most unreasonablest expectation.
I just hope that Sony Pictures is shut down until 2019 and Disney jumps in to buy the IP.

Spidey isn't gonna break the billi because Sony and Marvel didn't go with my suggestion of an adult Peter played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

Did I miss another Sony leak?

Um excuse me I demand the title of lord and savior, look at my totally not edited prediction post
Excuse me, but what about this pm you definitely sent me on Sunday afternoon?

BronsonLee said:
I think misogyny will win in the end, resulting in many refunds today and the first negative gross in reported box office history.

UM

...both sides!

Speaking of that, those women-only screenings happened, right? Did anything of note happen beyond people watching a movie? I'm guessing no

Nev

Banned
Spidey isn't gonna break the billi because Sony and Marvel didn't go with my suggestion of an adult Peter played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

Why the hell would they chose anyone other than Tobey Mcguire if they were going that rute?

I'd have absolutely loved the OG Spiderman back, but not Gyllenhaal lol.

On the other hand I couldn't care less about yet another Tony Stark movie. Get the f. out really.

Should've been a cameo tops, I'm waiting for the bluray release because I'm not interested in Iron Man 4, I wanted to see fckn' high-school Spiderman figuring out things on his own, not this mentor, MCU tie-in bs with AI suits and Avengers and whatever. But in all honesty what was I expecting...

I bet the predictions are "low" (lol) because a lot of people think this way too. That, or the stupidly unnecessary ASM movies really did damage.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
On the other hand I couldn't care less about yet another Tony Stark movie. Get the f. out really.

Should've been a cameo tops, I'm waiting for the bluray release because I'm not interested in Iron Man 4, I wanted to see fckn' high-school Spiderman figuring out things on his own, not this mentor, MCU tie-in bs with AI suits and Avengers and whatever. But in all honesty what was I expecting...

I bet the predictions are "low" (lol) because a lot of people think this way too. That, or the stupidly unnecessary ASM movies really did damage.

Please tell me more about the movie. Since you seem to have already seen it.

Nev

Banned
Maguire had back problems in between SM1 and SM2 so they were considering recasting him. Gyllenhaal was the first choice.

That's a terrible idea.

Please tell me more about the movie. Since you seem to have already seen it.

All I need to know is that Tony Stark will be a central figure to know I'm not going to the theater for it and will wait instead.

From the trailers we can know with certainty that he's going to be the third most important character after Spiderman and Vulture and that he's totally key to the story and the origins of Spiderman.

No thanks.

Btw you can already get most of the important events and twists from the trailers, remember they show you the whole movie nowadays.

Jameson: "Get your pretty little portfolio off my desk before I go into a diabetic coma! "

tumblr_njwwsr0OJi1tmssd6o1_500.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Btw you can already get most of the important events and twists from the trailers, remember they show you the whole movie nowadays.

I remember GAF getting super angry about the Ego = Peters Dad reveal. Turns out, Guardians followed the established tradition of Bait & Switch in Marvel Trailers and the reveal was in the first 15 minutes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
YOU!

You are my man.

Shit, remember when Jake and Maggie G we're playing teen roles.

Those two had far better agents than I'd have expected because dear God was Jake G briefly typecast as "young guy who fucks thirty year olds having a mid life crisis."

Dude is baller as fuck.

I think 800M is the floor for Homecoming because of the Iron Man factor and the MCU connection but I don't see it reaching a billion. Still, I bet Sony will be more than happy with any result north of 850M.

Lima

Yeah so The Mummy was not that good. Not as bad as reviews to me but still hella average. Annabelle Wallis though 👀

Cringeworthy that after the Universal logo they hammer you home that this is part of their Dark Universe. Complete with its own logo and all that.
Lol good luck with that.

I feel Homecoming will do better than the tepid response to it is leading us all to believe. At the end of the day it's Spidey with Iron Man featured heavily in the marketing. At worst it'll do OK domestic and make up for it internationally.

Lima

Are there already GIFs of the Dark Universe Logo? I really want to see that.

Basically looks like the Universal logo. It's the globe which turns completely dark and then letters say Dark Universe. Looks like the same font as the Universal logo, too.

Why the hell would they chose anyone other than Tobey Mcguire if they were going that rute?

uh-huh

BumRush

Code:

I'd like to thank my wife and kids, and of course kswiss for his endless support through this process

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The current projections would put it notably above either ASM movie with far weaker exchange rates, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disgusting.
Seriously.

Awesome that you have already seen the movie and know absolutely everything about it, please spill all the deets!

Homecoming not getting to a billion because it's 3rd origin in 15years, I have no desire to watch this movie..
Not really an origin, since he's been Spidey for over a year by the time the movie happens in universe.

Are there already GIFs of the Dark Universe Logo? I really want to see that.
Not a gif, but anyway
https://youtu.be/lfxLdBDr1ww?t=98

Code:

I'm the Pepsi to BumRush's Coca-Cola.

QsRIJs.gif

Overused? Sure, won't dispute that; but when WW is the only one on that list that even surpassed 50 on RT and/or MC, let alone is generally considered good (Power Rangers seems pretty split on whether its good or bad)...

The Mummy - 21% RT / 34 MC
Wonder Woman - 93% RT / 76 MC
Baywatch - 20% RT / 38 MC
Power Rangers - 46% RT / 44 MC
Smurfs: The Lost Village - 38% / 40 MC
Fifty Shades Darker: 9% RT / 33 MC

All that leaves is the IT film adaptation in September.

El Topo

The Mummy - 21% RT / 34 MC
Wonder Woman - 93% RT / 76 MC
Baywatch - 20% RT / 38 MC
Power Rangers - 46% RT / 44 MC
Smurfs: The Lost Village - 38% / 40 MC
Fifty Shades Darker: 9% RT / 33 MC

That's...not really an impressive feat to be honest. I'm also not sure how something with 46%RT/44MC qualifies as trash. This isn't the "Endless below average movies" GIF.

Don't worry, Dwayne Johnson and the good people at SONY have got this!

JU

MAN

JI

Coming december, 2017.

Also a Billion Dollar Man movie with Mark Wahlberg (yeah, that's a thing that's happening this year...). Because somebody thought that was a winner. Same month, same fate. I can smell that dumpster fire now.
Which is my legit number one bet for 'bomb of the year', The Mummy was just a secondary.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Spider-Man: Homecoming looks like a competent MCU film. But fuck, Spidey should be the crowning jewel. For it to finally get back to Marvel and be pretty good is kinda weak given the endless "Feige will fix it" crap we've endured the last nine fucking years.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Marvel have really done a great job hoodwinking people into thinking they created the first cinematic universe.

It's not about "creating" the idea.

But every logical person understands that the attempts at turning this into a universe today -- or the Ghostbusters universe or Transformers "universe" -- are all because of Marvel's success.

Marvel made competent films, but Avengers breaking out was a happy bit of luck. Nothing prior to that film suggested over a billion, or even anything other than 600 million to be honest.

Complete nonsense.

They made a beloved movie with amazing word of mouth. That wasn't "luck."

ZeoVGM

Banned
It'd be crazy if Homecoming ends up with less than GoTG2

Is it possible that the High School Freshmen setting is turning some people off?

I wouldn't be surprised. Sony very much hurt the "brand." Over the course of seven years, we got one "okay" Spider-Man film and two terrible ones. At some point, that's going to come back to have an impact.

I think the caution towards a new Spider-Man will be battling against the fact that it's a Marvel Studios film. We'll see which one has more influence..

Marvel made competent films, but Avengers breaking out was a happy bit of luck. Nothing prior to that film suggested over a billion, or even anything other than 600 million to be honest.

Doesn't matter what you make, until it's released it's a crap shoot box office wise.

I'm with Deathboy on this one

Like before Avengers, Iron Man 2 was the highest grossing film and didn't even cross 650

Like finishing in 800-900 Million category wouldn't have been a bad result at all. But yeah it blew it

Yeah. I mean, you can go back and see. We're on the internet. Estimates were ~$150mil OW. Higher than Iron Man 2, but not by what it ended up as.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah. I mean, you can go back and see. We're on the internet. Estimates were ~$150mil OW. Higher than Iron Man 2, but not by what it ended up as.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the success it had wasn't a surprise. Deathy said it was "luck," which it certainly was not.

Top Bottom