• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

We doin' hot takes on BP winners now? Ok.

Slumdog Millionaire is an ugly, nasty piece of business that tries to hide behind Bollywood conventions. And that worked on a lot of people, but it didn't fool me.

Toa TAK

Banned
We doin' hot takes on BP winners now? Ok.

Slumdog Millionaire is an ugly, nasty piece of business that tries to hide behind Bollywood conventions. And that worked on a lot of people, but it didn't fool me.
Nothing gets by you

You son of a bitch.

I liked Slumdog.

But not as much as Birdman

giphy-18.gif

Sillier things have happened than Wonder Woman getting in, like The Blind Side or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close doing so.
Ugh, awful. Doing a (weak) dance routine after all the stomach churning violence in the film is not ok in my book.
Yea it was super awkward.

"Remember when they blinded young children for money? Well check this sick beat!"

No. But you know one of the lurkers who read this thread but don't ever post will jump all over it. The countdown is on.

Odds on my thread linking the marketing articles from earlier this year getting a mention?

People bring that shit up like I created the narrative and wrote the article under a pseudonym.

I always laugh at how "amazing" they portayed America when they save the little boy and gave him money.

I personally wasn't a fan of Slumdog Millionaire

kswiston

Odds on my thread linking the marketing articles from earlier this year getting a mention?

People bring that shit up like I created the narrative and wrote the article under a pseudonym.

I still don't see the issue with your article. Tracking for Wonder Woman was pretty bad 3 weeks out, and the actual opening was good, but nothing much better than average for the genre. No doubt that is playing into the near 4x opening weekend multiplier. A lot of Wonder Woman's business is coming from people who were convinced via world of mouth rather than stellar marketing.

Toa TAK

Banned
I always laugh at how "amazing" they portayed America when they save the little boy and gave him money.

I personally wasn't a fan of Slumdog Millionaire
That's cuz it IS amazing. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸😎
Oh man, I think the couple next to me at this screening is literally breaking up as I type this.
Get out while you can, dude.

kswiston

Oh man, I think the couple next to me at this screening is literally breaking up as I type this.

That happened at my showing of Deathly Hallows part 2.

A teenaged girl gave a scream of despair in the middle of the film and ran out of the theatre. Then she came back in 20 minutes later with tears running down her face to scream at her newly minted ex before running out again.

I wonder if both of them regretted going for the $16 IMAX tickets for that particular event.

kswiston

If we have to lay down our Wonder Woman opinions, I don't think it was best picture or best director worthy either.

It was above average for the superhero genre, but not spectacular. I'm glad that so many people are connecting with it though. I wasn't the biggest fan of Raimi's first Spider-Man film either, but those are they types of films that keep the superhero machine chugging along. Maybe Wondy 2 will be this decade's Spider-Man 2.

kswiston

This is now our 4th longest box office thread to date. It will probably pass the Avengers' opening weekend thread to settle at #3.

BvS' opening weekend was just shy of 3k posts, and The Force Awakens' opening got fairly close to 4k.

How about Argo?

Even with today's climate, I still contend Felicity Huffman was robbed by Reese Witherspoon for Transamerica.

Honestly, Argo's competition wasn't so great that it sticks out to me. It's Affleck's worst of his good movies (Live By Night? haven't heard of it) but, yeah. No qualms.

Top Bottom