• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

If Suicide Squad could get an Oscar, I really can't say Wonder Woman couldn't/shouldn't

Best Picture's absolutely out of the question though in my opinion, as much as I loved it

I'd get behind Stewart getting Supporting

Oh, absolutely. That shit is nuts.

Edit: Baby Driver could be nominated for Best Editing. I haven't actually seen it yet but I'm going off it being an Edgar Wright film that's edited to the soundtrack.

Baby Driver should get that nom, absolutely.

(Scott Pilgrim should have won the best editing award for like, 3 straight years)

kswiston

There needs to be a push there.

I can see the Academy getting Peele in there for Best Director but not giving his movie the BP nod.

They have up to 10 slots for BP and only 5 for Best Director, so I think that it is unlikely to see that scenario now.

EDIT: I looked, and it does look like Foxcatcher received a Best Director nod without a best picture nod in 2014. That's the only exception since they upped the number of BP nominations.

The VFX award has, basically since The Matrix, gone to the film that does something new, not necessarily to the house that put in the best VFX work overall.

It used to be the award was given to a film that did fantastical things, but hid the seams really, really well.

Now it's basically a matter of just putting something nuts on a screen that isn't exactly like the 1500 other nuts things you saw all year long.

So when The Force Awakens blends practical and computer generated visuals as well as it does, it doesn't really get a clean shot because everyone's more or less inured to what a Star Wars is supposed to look like. Same with a Jurassic World. Doesn't matter how well the VFX in those films was actually done. Ex Machina put Alicia Vikander's face on a robot body in an interesting way.

So it wins.

I mean, Spielberg basically did the exact same shit a decade previous on A.I., but I think everyone forgot about that movie for the most part (except for the bear).

Probably did.

(it's fucking great work, too. I'm not like, mad it beat JW or TFA or anything. But it's a good example of how VFX awards are handed out by the voters at large as opposed to what might get rewarded if it were just the VFX industry - although who knows. Might be the VFX industry rewarded Ex Machina just as much. I should look that up)

2015 was also a crazy as hell year for the category, with 3 of the nominees also getting a BP nod.

I've always figured the other noms cannibalized each other, letting Ex Machina get the win.

Dunkirk is gonna go full Mad Max. Nominations:

Picture
Director
Supporting actor (Rylance)
Cinematography*
Editing*
Sound design*
Sound editing*
OST
VFX

*wins

Tales from my ass.

Visual effects go far beyond just CGI, two of Nolan's films (Inception and Interstellar) used a lot of practical effects as well in combination with CGI.

As for now, I can guarantee that Dunkirk, Planet of the Apes, and Blade Runner will be the top runners for the Oscar

Editing is a tough thing to call because you really don't know what they were working with.
However, I feel like editing is Baby Driver's award to lose right now. If it gets anything, it should be that.

Top Bottom