• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Dunkirk is gonna go full Mad Max. Nominations:

Picture
Director
Supporting actor (Rylance)
Cinematography*
Editing*
Sound design*
Sound editing*
OST
VFX

*wins

Tales from my ass.

Mad Max losing director and best picture was criminal, but seeing Inarritu seething in his chair as it swept technical awards was wonderful.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Get Out will probably get a Best Original Screenplay nom. I dunno about winning though, we still haven't reached Oscar bait season.

Will Blade Runner finally get Deakins his trophy?

I think this might be the year.

You can never go wrong predicting Oscars based on the "this is our makeup call' politics of the Academy.

Build a narrative, sell the campaign, convince voters they're part of making a dream story come true.

Bet on THAT, and you end up having a good Oscar party.

(Didn't work w/ Stallone on Creed though. Thought for sure they'd have caved and let the old melty wax sculpture finally get an acting statue for all his years making the industry money, but they decided against it.)

Mad Max losing director and best picture was criminal, but seeing Inarritu seething in his chair as it swept technical awards was wonderful.
I was bummed that Mad Max couldn't get either of the two big ones. But at least it was recognized.

I liked The Revenant, and was happy for Leo. But the most worthy Oscar from that movie (besides cinematography I guess) was Hardy for supporting. I was bummed he lost, and bummed Inarritu won.

This is what I love about the Oscars - everyone knows its a sham. everyone knows it's high school politics. It's prom night for rich assholes. everyone knows this.

Shit's still entertaining though.

And the best part is, in like, 5 years, everyone knows which movie from that year really shoulda won. It becomes fairly obvious most of the time. It provides this cool little snapshot of the divide between the art itself and the cliques called together to judge it. It's a weird image of how behind the times the people making the movies can be. And how the makers of our dreams will stunt rewarding the best examples of them for not great reasoning.

People will, in 10 years, write their annual "Why the Oscars Suck Colon" articles, and when the 2016 Oscars come up, someone will say "and despite how good Spotlight still is, it's not much more than the sum parts of every other respectable story in the genre it occupies. But there's only one Fury Road..."

This is what I love about the Oscars - everyone knows its a sham. everyone knows it's high school politics. It's prom night for rich assholes. everyone knows this.

Shit's still entertaining though.

And the best part is, in like, 5 years, everyone knows which movie from that year really shoulda won. It becomes fairly obvious most of the time. It provides this cool little snapshot of the divide between the art itself and the cliques called together to judge it. It's a weird image of how behind the times the people making the movies can be. And how the makers of our dreams will stunt rewarding the best examples of them for not great reasoning.
I think it was Matt Damon that said in an interview that Oscars should only be given out 5-10 years after the fact. That way we have had time to digest the films and figure out which ones were the truly great flicks.

kswiston

The Revenant was a western/wilderness survival film that should have been tanked by its crazy $135M budget. Instead it made $530M worldwide. As such, I have to respect it and the people working on it.

The Revenant was a western/wilderness survival film that should have been tanked by its crazy $135M budget. Instead it made $530M worldwide. As such, I have to respect it and the people working on it.

They sold it on how grueling and horrible the shoot was because Inarritu was an asshole.

Birdman is Innaritu drumming on his stomach with his own dick for like 90 minutes. He's not even actually jerking off.

Jerking off would be satisfying you see.

Inarritu just sells it on "Look at how difficult this was to pull off! It was freezing all the time!"
Or, "I made it look like I did this in one take! LOOK AT ME!"

It is impressive work, but it is like he wants things to be as difficult as possible to pat himself on the back.

I suspect if the star was anyone other than Leo it WOULD HAVE tanked.

Birdman is Innaritu drumming on his stomach with his own dick for like 90 minutes. He's not even actually jerking off.

Jerking off would be satisfying you see.
I was horrified when I found out Edward Norton is basically Innaritu's mouthpiece in Birdman.

Horrified, but not exactly surprised. Babel, I thought, was a pretentious train wreck.

Leo does have the special sauce.

Wolf of Wall Street made almost $400M. The Great Gatsby made $350M. Django made $425M.

His last four films set career best grosses for four different established directors.
I just watched Django (for the 90th time) yesterday. He could've easily gotten the nom for that one. I suspect he missed out because they pushed Waltz hard, who was also great (again).

Nah, it's not mediocre. It's a damn good Linklater flick. It woulda still got a nomination.

Theory of Everything and Imitation Game were the padding on that year's BP slate.

*goes back to check on the biggest bomb prediction thread*
Oh, so that's what happened to Lord Frieza... I had been wondering about that. Nail, gather the dragon balls.

Anyway, I have a problem:

the movie I had bet on, which was The Six Billion Dollar Man, is no longer on the list of movies to come out this year. Or any year, apparently. Maybe someone pulled a fast one on wikipedia's list and I fell right for it, or there's a shelve with that movie on it somewhere.

Another movie I had mentioned, called Patient Zero, has also been put into permanent 'post production' hiatus, which I'm going to assume is shelved permanently as well. Except that one actually already had a production, whereas the above might just have been a joke. Which I suspect it was. Or is, if it was made.

So, considering the order in which I mentioned them in my first post here, is it agreeable to say that my bet would reasonably be put towards The Mummy, even though we already know how that played out?
I mean, I really want to adjust it to The Emoji Movie, because that was kind of my first instinct, but I didn't mention that one in my first post in that thread, so that wouldn't be fair. I know nobody cares, but I've been BAMBOOZLED, man!

Titanic's attendance was higher than Avatar's worldwide.

K72WD6oWLan6OpeqST-edCgVtFI=.gif

kswiston

Emoji Movie was too cheap to be bomb of the year.

The Promise already won. If you don't want to count that, You still have King Arthur and Monster Trucks.

Prompto

Banned
Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Goodnight and Good Luck, and Munich is still the biggest robbery in Oscar history.

Top Bottom