• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•01-03•14 - I am Groot. You're welcome. Looks like a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I post the pic of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is that a spoiler?

anyway no sense continuing this here. I get your point I just think trying to be that hardcore about media blackouts is sorta impossible in this day and age.

If the thread title says, "New pic of WW costume" at least I know what will happen if I enter that thread. I was warned.

Coming into a box office results thread will spoiler gifs is bs.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Marvel stays winning. For DC's sake I hope BvS successfully kickstarts their universe because it's looking silly at this point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
94 million on a 170 million budget? Fail

Totally. And Titanic made less than a third of that on a similar budget. What a fucking bomb.

Sanjuro

I would say that I go to the cinemas more often than most people I know, but I've now seen this films three times in an opening weekend span. Last time I remember doing that was for Batman Begins I believe.

If the thread title says, "New pic of WW costume" at least I know what will happen if I enter that thread. I was warned.

Coming into a box office results thread will spoiler gifs is bs.

Again, it's not a spoiler so it doesn't matter.

But let's not get into this here. Already had a crazy long thread about it.

Glad to see the numbers for this one, fantastic movie. Seeing again tonight.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Poor thor, always the runt of the litter

How comes there hasnt been a new Hulk movie?
Do Marvel not own the rights to an individual movie or do they just think one cant work?

kswiston

Do Marvel not own the rights to an individual movie or do they just think one cant work?

Marvel made a hulk movie in 2008 along with Iron Man. It's their only falter in the 10 movies they have produced to date.

Its weekend estimate wasn't posted, but Godzilla was $78k short of $200M as of Thursday. It made close to $390k last weekend, so even with a big drop we can finally say that it passed the $200M barrier this weekend.

With Godzilla hitting that mark, no movie that debuted over $90M has failed to hit $200M domestic. Guardians should easily clear that mark, and with weaker August competition, has a good shot at being this summer's highest grosser.

I think a Hulk movie could do better than Thor, especially as they take the universe in a more cosmic direction. Maybe Marvel feels he's had his chance or isn't interesting enough.

Linsies

"BEHOLD"

Well despite the hate, thanks for posting that so I could show my kids. We've seen it twice and are going back today. They constantly want to see that part and we keep telling them there's no way to see it until the movie isn't as new.

Sanjuro

I think a Hulk movie could do better than Thor, especially as they take the universe in a more cosmic direction. Maybe Marvel feels he's had his chance or isn't interesting enough.

Planet Hulk or something of that nature would be fantastic.

Comic book films are just beginning to blend into that fantastical world for the first time. Took them long enough.

RedStep

They've discussed it several times, once very recently. I think they understand that it's very difficult to make the character the center stage as he's always doing one of two things: a) trying not to transform, or b) transforming and freaking out.

He doesn't make plans, get beaten, or really get involved in drama other than the above (to date in the MCU). With the Cosmic push something like Planet Hulk could be possible in the future, but it's better to keep him as the "Trump Card" in an Avengers movie than the central character.

Hulk works really well as a support character as he is just a wrecking ball. Having to carry an entire movie as Hulk? Problem is you would have to write really well for Banner, otherwise the audience will just be bored to tears waiting for him to become Hulk.

Steve Rogers is interesting even if he isn't Captain Murica'ing it.

So is Thor (and by exension, Loki) and Stark.

Banner is Boringville and was for 2 films, including the intended MCU entry. I just don't think they have figured out how to write for him.

Sanjuro

Hulk works really well as a support character as he is just a wrecking ball. Having to carry an entire movie as Hulk? Problem is you would have to write really well for Banner, otherwise the audience will just be bored to tears waiting for him to become Hulk.

Steve Rogers is interesting even if he isn't Captain Murica'ing it.

So is Thor (and by exension, Loki) and Stark.

Banner is Boringville and was for 2 films, including the intended MCU entry. I just don't think they have figured out how to write for him.

He can work as a primary character without issue. The problem is nobody can create anything interesting for him to do in his environment.

Planet Hulk or something of that nature would be fantastic.

Comic book films are just beginning to blend into that fantastical world for the first time. Took them long enough.

I think people would be tired of a Hulk movie where he is wrecking shit in modern cities and fighting the military. But a loose adaptation of Planet Hulk could be awesome. You could even tie it in some with Guardians, maybe had Yondu and his crew abduct Bruce Banner or something. Potenial is there now that Guardians has blown the doors open on the cosmic stuff.

Son Of D

Iron Man 3 - $174M
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $95M
Guardians of the Galaxy - $94M
Thor: The Dark World - $86M

That is impressive there for Guardians, being that close to Winter Soldier. Word of mouth seems to be good for Guardians so I can see it holding pretty well although there is the fact that TMNT has a chance of slowing it down.

He can work as a primary character without issue. The problem is nobody can create anything interesting for him to do in his environment.

I agree with Ninja. Move him off world somewhere where he can just fuck shit up for 90 minutes.

Spaceships, cruisers, alien shit...whatever. Let him just own.

Sanjuro

I think people would be tired of a Hulk movie where he is wrecking shit in modern cities and fighting the military. But a loose adaptation of Planet Hulk could be awesome. You could even tie it in some with Guardians, maybe had Yondu and his crew abduct Bruce Banner or something. Potenial is there now that Guardians has blown the doors open on the cosmic stuff.

I mean, the Hulk's primary theatrical plot so far has been his troubles trying to bang some broad.

You can still have him fighting the military and such, but there just needs to be a better story revolving around the plot. The fact the Marvel Universe (or whatever) has been expanding with a liberal amount of creative freedom gives me hope they can do something proper.

Although, to be fair I DID enjoy Ang Lee's Hulk to a degree, or at least by into the notion that it wasn't complete trash like the Edward Norton variant.

I agree with Ninja. Move him off world somewhere where he can just fuck shit up for 90 minutes.

Spaceships, cruisers, alien shit...whatever. Let him just own.

Yeah, that's what Planet Hulk basically is. The Hulk comic series had been pretty fucking stale until that arc came around. World War Hulk proceeded it and wasn't completely terrible either.

That GOTG number, I'm on high on believing. Ain't no mountain high enough for Marvel, they rollin in that dough. I hope it's not too late for me to take a second look.

Sanjuro

That is impressive there for Guardians, being that close to Winter Soldier. Word of mouth seems to be good for Guardians so I can see it holding pretty well although there is the fact that TMNT has a chance of slowing it down.

I could recommend random non-comic book people to see Guardians.

I could not consciously do the same for Captain America.

kswiston

Stats for GotG

- 3D was 45% of weekend take
- 55% of the audience was 26 years or older
male/female split was 56/44, so those who think this doesn't appeal to women are clearly mistaken.
- Cinemascore was an A, not that it matters much

TMNT isn't tracking very high. Boxoffice.com is predicting a $39M opening.

AHA-Lambda

Great movie, success is deserved.

This summer has been a dreadful one for the movie business, with receipts down nearly 20% from last year’s record-breaker.

Surprised to see this when it seems there has been no real bombs this summer =/

kswiston

Great movie, success is deserved.

Surprised to see this when it seems there has been no real bombs this summer =/

This is the first year since 2007 with not $400M+ summer film, and the first year since 2001 with no $300M summer film. Nothing bombed, but nothing was huge either.

kswiston

Two weeks prior to Guardians release, wasn't the film tracked at $70M or in that ballpark?

Ya, things could change obviously, but not every film goes up in tracking. Most open in the same ballpark they are expected to open in. Godzilla and Guardians are the two major breakouts as far as expectations are concerned. Tracking a week ahead of release was short $20-25M. Tracking has been pretty close for most other films. X-Men and Transformers came in a little lower than expected. Maleficent and Apes a little higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom