• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•01-03•14 - I am Groot. You're welcome. Looks like a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stage On

I don't think it would have made that big a difference (+50%) in the first weekend. What is more likely is that a well received film would have a much better shot at $200M domestic. This is the right time of year for legs if the WOM is there. We might not get another $100M domestic film until October.

Speaking as someone who works part time at a movie theater that really has me worried. This is the slowest summer the building has ever had, and September is traditionally even slower since people are busy going back to school.

I never thought I'd ever miss Twilight in theaters but at least that was busy which meant I got shifts.

GhaleonEB

A ~54% drop (according to Deadline's last update) for Guardians is a pretty great hold considering how TMNT over performed.

Speaking as someone who works part time at a movie theater that really has me worried. This is the slowest summer the building has ever had, and September is traditionally even slower since people are busy going back to school.

I never thought I'd ever miss Twilight in theaters but at least that was busy which meant I got shifts.

Twilight is fairly big but it's not like it's going to change anything all by itself. Also lets wait and see what happens the next few years as they look likely to blow this one away imo.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $65M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $41.5M - $176M total
3) Into the Storm - $18.0M
4) The 100 Foot Journey - $11.2M
5) Lucy - $9.3M - $97M total
6) Step Up All In - $6.6M
7) Hercules - ???
8) Get on Up - $5.0M - $23M total
9) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - ???

. . . how did this happen?

Also, when will Bay's name finally become a blight, like M. Night?

I guess whenever his movies, and the movies he produces, stop having explosions.

JdFoX187

Banned
Lucy could have been pg13 with a few cuts or edits that wouldn't have effected the movie at all. They prob left 20 mil on the table there

Fuck that. A female-lead R-rated film is doing well at the box office. Let's celebrate that instead of lamenting how it would have made more money if it was sterilized. That's the problem with Hollywood right now. We're going to get a sterilized Expendables this week because of that train of thought.

. . . how did this happen?

Also, when will Bay's name finally become a blight, like M. Night?

I guess whenever his movies, and the movies he produces, stop having explosions.
The big difference between Bat and M. Night Shayayalalalaala is that the first one makes movies that at least have some mindless fun, the acting is bad but the action secuences and jokes are entreteining, Shayalalalalman does the opposite, acting is bad but somehow he extracts all the fun from the movies making them boring and tedious.

BadAss2961

Fuck that. A female-lead R-rated film is doing well at the box office. Let's celebrate that instead of lamenting how it would have made more money if it was sterilized. That's the problem with Hollywood right now. We're going to get a sterilized Expendables this week because of that train of thought.
He doesn't think Lucy did much with its R rating though.

kswiston

Guardians is now at $313M worldwide. $500M should happen easily. The China opening has been pushed back to mid-October though, so it will be awhile until we get a final tally.

kswiston

It's amazing that Guardians is going to become the highest grossing film of the summer.

I am still amused that Amazing Spider-man 2 was the lowest grossing superhero film of the summer. From the biggest of all time to losing to Guardians of the Galaxy in 2 films.

Did you see it? I'm not a member of the ratings board, but a little less blood and a couple of edits would make it an even more successful female led film.

Dragon

Banned

Isn't the movie actual shit though by all accounts?

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $65M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $41.5M - $176M total
3) Into the Storm - $18.0M
4) The 100 Foot Journey - $11.2M
5) Lucy - $9.3M - $97M total
6) Step Up All In - $6.6M
7) Hercules - ???
8) Get on Up - $5.0M - $23M total
9) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - ???

Turtles took $28M overseas from 19 markets.

Top markets were as follows:

Russia - $11M
Mexico - $7M
Malaysia - $2M

Damn fine numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom