• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•01-03•14 - I am Groot. You're welcome. Looks like a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
There was more people that stayed than people that left, and there were a lot of small kids at my showing, but I was still surprised.

Like, why even see a movie in the theater, if you're not gonna stay for the whole thing?

Well to be fair most people usually leave the moment credits hit. But everyone should know by now that for Marvel movies you should stay for the mid and post credit scenes.

Well to be fair most people usually leave the moment credits hit. But everyone should know by now that for Marvel movies you should stay for the mid and post credit scenes.
That's the thing. It's not like the stingers are a new concept anymore, and I imagine this was pretty much no one's first MCU movie, so they should know the deal.

People laughed at the post credit scene at theatre I was at.
It got a big reaction at my screening too.

dave_m123

chris-pratt-shirtless-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-february-2014-gif.gif

MMmmmmmm soo hot!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
With its total worldwide gross? Yes, absolutely.

Overseas has been opening smaller that Winter Soldier and Thor 2 so I wouldn't hold your breath
Should get fairly close though

Whether it beats TWS or not isn't really that important IMO. It did what it needed to do, and the Marvel Money Train chugs along. :)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh definitely.
Assuming it takes advantage of the slower August and holds better there is no way this doesn't top 600M

It probably won't pass TWS worldwide considering it's been opening lower than both that and Thor 2 in a few territories, unless it massively overperforms in a few others.

Technically speaking, it's already overperformed, considering the source material.

Overseas has been opening smaller that Winter Soldier and Thor 2 so I wouldn't hold your breath
Should get fairly close though

It probably won't pass TWS worldwide considering it's been opening lower than both that and Thor 2 in a few territories, unless it massively overperforms in a few others.

I’m confident it will. The movie appeals to a much bigger audience than The Winter Soldier and the legs are gonna be really fantastic thanks to all the positive word of mouth.

Seth C

It looks like the actuals are in and the estimates were only slightly off, with GotG doing $94,320,883 for the weekend.

kswiston

It looks like the actuals are in and the estimates were only slightly off, with GotG doing $94,320,883 for the weekend.

That's typically the case. I'm glad it increased though. I think that all of the other 90M+ openers this year decreased when the actuals came out.

I’m confident it will. The movie appeals to a much bigger audience than The Winter Soldier and the legs are gonna be really fantastic thanks to all the positive word of mouth.

I have a hard time seeing Guardians getting the $115M in China that Cap 2 received.

Subitai

Poor thor, always the runt of the litter

How comes there hasnt been a new Hulk movie?
Do Marvel not own the rights to an individual movie or do they just think one cant work?
TWS came out at the optimal time when IM3 and Avengers came out and was sort of Avengers 1.5 with the prominence of S.H.I.E.L.D and Black Widow.

Here's one reason why GotG surpassed tracking: Disney spent 40 percent of the marketing budget last week.

The Walt Disney release blew past tracking that initially suggested a U.S. debut in the $65 million to $70 million range.

“It’s a testament to the momentum of the brand overall and all of the pieces just coming together in the right way,” said Dave Hollis, Walt Disney Studios’ executive vice president of theatrical distribution.

The distribution chief argued that part of the reason tracking was so off was that Disney saved 40% of its marketing for the final week before the film opened, allowing them to drive awareness for the picture at a critical point.

“We were able to heat things up to white hot levels and use those final days as a call to arms,” said Hollis.

Matt_

I know its not a completely fair comparison as kids are out of school now, but Guardians getting a higher first monday than Iron Man 3 did is pretty damn impressive

Seth C

I know its not a completely fair comparison as kids are out of school now, but Guardians getting a higher first monday than Iron Man 3 did is pretty damn impressive

And it went UP on Tuesday. I can't imagine that's normal.

Looking at some summer Mon to Tues grosses and they are usually very close. Wednesday is when things usually drop off, and then increase again for the weekend.

Matt_

And it went UP on Tuesday. I can't imagine that's normal.

No it's pretty common actually, just about every movie goes up on a tuesday, not really sure why though. In the UK tuesdays are usually cheaper but I don't know if the US does the same kind of thing

Just worth noting: DBZ's movie screening on Tuesday broke 1 million. They are screening it again tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday. Cool to see an event film like that do well!

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $25. 6M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $12.3M - $147M total
3) Into the Storm - $6.5M
4) The 100 Foot Journey - $3.7M
5) Step Up All In - $2.8M
6) Lucy - $1.8M - $91M total
7) Hercules - $1.7M - $59M total
8) Get on Up - $1.5M - $19M total
9) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - $1.2M - $195M total

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, the Hulk's primary theatrical plot so far has been his troubles trying to bang some broad.

You can still have him fighting the military and such, but there just needs to be a better story revolving around the plot. The fact the Marvel Universe (or whatever) has been expanding with a liberal amount of creative freedom gives me hope they can do something proper.

Although, to be fair I DID enjoy Ang Lee's Hulk to a degree, or at least by into the notion that it wasn't complete trash like the Edward Norton variant.

Yeah, that's what Planet Hulk basically is. The Hulk comic series had been pretty fucking stale until that arc came around. World War Hulk proceeded it and wasn't completely terrible either.

No it was completely terrible, all the more so coming on the heels of Planet Hulk's awesome run.

kswiston

Turtles is on track for the fourth or fifth biggest August opening ever. Turtles + Guardians will gross around $400M domestic, which puts this August in a good spot to take records as long as the rest of the month is not a big string of bombs.

the Turtles are never not popular. Even when they weren't popular, they were still popular.

I thought they'd make between 40-45 mil. They're 15 above that. That's pretty impressive for the opening weekend.

jett

D-Member
the Turtles are never not popular. Even when they weren't popular, they were still popular.

I thought they'd make between 40-45 mil. They're 15 above that. That's pretty impressive for the opening weekend.

I knew they were pretty popular today thanks to the nickelodeon revival, but this is impressive still.

I learned when I was doing research for this article that they made almost 500 mil in toy sales between 2009 and 2013.

They're pretty much bulletproof as a concept, really. There's probably never going to be a time while we're alive where Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles won't be a thing.

Wait, they got a van that shoots weaponized pizzas? Fuckin’ floor it, dude. Let’s go.

There's a broken link to the turtle van in that column.

Trax

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $25M
7) Hercules - ?

Why God? Why.

GhaleonEB

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $25M
7) Hercules - ?

Every now and then I gain a little bit of faith in the American movie goer, and then I'm reminded why I had so little to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom