• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•01-03•14 - I am Groot. You're welcome. Looks like a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main problem is just the love and passion put into these projects.

For TMNT, it just feels like clockwork. Ninja Turtles movies make lots money, regardless if it's good or bad, if it's the best it can be or just a quick cash-grab.

For GUARDIANS, it's a property no one heard of, it had this pretty steep hill to climb and just by watching James Gunn talk about it, it truly feels like a passion project from A to Z where he gave his all.

For me, that's what rubs me the wrong way about TMNT doing great, the lack of interest to push the movie to new heights, just going through the motion of ''movie making''.

Some comic book movies, you can feel the passion on the screen by those that tried their best to make it work. Marvel movies are a good example. Taking people who are good directors/writers and have an attachment to the project. Scott Pilgrim was another one where you felt the love of Wright towards these characters and this universe.

I know it's a business, but it's the whole laziness of it that's depressing.

I don't know that laziness is the right word there. It's a ton of work to get any blockbuster movie made.

The problem is assigning box-office numbers to the film's quality as a piece of storytelling, or suggesting that one is a reflection of the other in any way. Opening weekend box-office especially.

The narrative of James Gunn, indie director, getting his shot and putting a ton of work into making sure Guardians was the movie he wanted is appealing. But ultimately, both Gunn and Liebesman are doing the same thing: They're trying to translate a property for a brand that is looking to sell toys and merchandise. There's just as much "automation" behind the scenes at Marvel as there is at any other movie studio chasing summer blockbuster dollars.

Just because one did it better than the other doesn't mean the other wasn't TRYING. Maybe their attempt was misguided, or not as impressive, but to argue the passion isn't there simply because the behind the scenes narrative of it doesn't resonate as well with you seems to be a bit of a reach.

And honestly, looking for examples of passion in corporate big-budget filmmaking is a bit of a snipe-hunt most times anyway, unless the person holding the purse strings is a writer/director themselves, and then you're more likely to see it.

kswiston

Turtles almost matched Edge of Tomorrow's opening weekend in one day. Edge of tomorrow will remain the closest we get to a big summer bomb this year, and that is more of a disappointment. Nothing flopped.

For TMNT, it just feels like clockwork. Ninja Turtles movies make lots money, regardless if it's good or bad, if it's the best it can be or just a quick cash-grab.

For GUARDIANS, it's a property no one heard of, it had this pretty steep hill to climb and just by watching James Gunn talk about it, it truly feels like a passion project from A to Z where he gave his all.

For me, that's what rubs me the wrong way about TMNT doing great, the lack of interest to push the movie to new heights, just going through the motion of ''movie making''.

Some comic book movies, you can feel the passion on the screen by those that tried their best to make it work. Marvel movies are a good example. Taking people who are good directors/writers and have an attachment to the project. Scott Pilgrim was another one where you felt the love of Wright towards these characters and this universe.

At least there's a chance that turtles collapses next week, so at the end of the day the quality film will win. I think casting anyone other than Megan Fox would have led to an immediate increase in quality

I haven't watched the movie yet but this is a tad ridiculous. From the TMNT creator himself.

"It's been a four, almost five-year journey to bring the next "Turtles" movie to life since the time we pitched it. I know everybody is like, "Oh, Michael Bay, Michael Bay, Michael Bay, he's gonna ruin it! He's gonna destroy it!" But everyone I have encountered has been nothing more than incredibly sincere to try and bring the Turtles back in a way that's new, fresh and exciting, but with total respect to everything that's come before. I've read the script. I have a cameo in the move. It's awesome -- really fun. What they've done with the film is going to make fans incredibly happy, including myself. The vision is awesome, the effects are incredible and the story will be something everybody can relate to and like. I'll leave it out there for the fans to let us know what they like in the end, but I'm very proud to be part of it. A lot of people are going to be surprised."

Maybe you just take movies too seriously?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You can't take movies too seriously. Even dumb popcorn movies - look at how many lives Star Wars has touched.

Life is too short to settle for bad entertainment.

I haven't watched the movie yet but this is a tad ridiculous. From the TMNT creator himself.

Maybe you just take movies too seriously?

You might have a point, if the movie itself wasn't racking up absolutely abysmal reviews. There was no "care" that went into this movie, it's a cash grab banking on the name recognition, exactly like Transformers is.

G-Fex

I could've sworn this was the same things I was hearing when Star Trek 2009 came out.

No, but TMNT is a popular IP worldwide.

At this point Marvel has the most valuable stable of IP pretty much anywhere, at least as far as film property is concerned. GOTG is going to be attracting eyeballs for the sole reason that it has "marvel" stamped on it somewhere.

Turtles is popular, but less so.

Verendus

Banned
You might have a point, if the movie itself wasn't racking up absolutely abysmal reviews. There was no "care" that went into this movie, it's a cash grab banking on the name recognition, exactly like Transformers is.
This is seriously one of the dumbest and most fanboy driven things I've read. What on earth do you know about movie production to say there was no 'care' that went into this movie? I've seen production first hand at Sony, and some of the crappier ones there don't go without 'care'. And then you use Transformers as a comparison, a movie which I'm sure Michael Bay puts a hell of a lot of care and effort into, regardless of whether they're reviewed well or not.

Are all fanboys this idiotic, or is it just Marvel ones?

BOM forecast

Weekend Forecast
1. Turtles - $64 million
2. Guardians - $41 million
3. Into the Storm - $16.5 million
4. Hundred-Foot Journey - $10.5 million
5. Step Up All In - $7 million

Guardians of the Galaxy plummeted 67 percent to $12.3 million. That drop is identical to Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which fell 67 and 68 percent, respectively. This suggests that the strong reviews and word-of-mouth didn't give Guardians much of a bump. For the three-day weekend, the movie should wind up around $41 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3888&p=.htm

This is seriously one of the dumbest and most fanboy driven things I've read. What on earth do you know about movie production to say there was no 'care' that went into this movie? I've seen production first hand at Sony, and some of the crappier ones there don't go without 'care'. And then you use Transformers as a comparison, a movie which I'm sure Michael Bay puts a hell of a lot of care and effort into, regardless of whether they're reviewed well or not.

"Fanboy" has nothing to do with it. When movie reviews are calling this movie out as being a soulless waste of time, no care has gone into the movie.

The major problem with this latest TMNT product -- well, aside from its impersonal nature, mediocre performances, sloppy script and unseemly visual style -- rests with the title characters themselves.

A non-essential children's film about anthropomorphic animals, where there is no other agenda than to jumpstart a dormant franchise and reestablish a global brand. No second meaning for adults. No complications. It meets the minimum requirements.

A dull and mostly lifeless affair.

These Ninja Turtles are the ones you love, but trapped in a film that's hard to like.

As a product, this sucker is assembly-line perfection which is fine if you're buying a pair of sneakers or a stereo, but for a movie, it is a little bit soul-crushing.

What happens when you substitute bombast for fun and bloat for finesse? This.

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Transformers' is a hollow shell of a movie.

This isn't "one or two" reviews, this is 80 percent of those that exist. Few if any reviews are calling this film more than what it is. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from, ass.

Verendus

Banned
Generalizations everywhere!
Well they're in the process of making console fanboys look good, a feat I considered impossible.

"Fanboy" has nothing to do with it. When movie reviews are calling this movie out as being a soulless waste of time, no care has gone into the movie.

This isn't "one or two" reviews, this is 80 percent of those that exist. Few if any reviews are calling this film more than what it is. Crawl back into whatever hole you came from, ass.
What does any of that have to do with your so called 'care' going into a movie?

You're very quick to use shallow words as descriptors for a production that involves hundreds of people and jobs, that require a tremendous amount of effort to have everything come together. Just because the creative aspect may be lacking doesn't mean they put together something like this without any effort or care. I'm not the ass here because it's ridiculous seeing fanboys like you take personal offence from movies you have absolutely nothing to do with that you use such stupid remarks. And you're insulting Michael Bay, who may not be the best writer or whatever, but is obviously very well talented behind an actual camera. I'm sure he cares a lot about whatever work he's involved in, he'd be insane not to considering the amount of time and effort he would have to put in for Transformer sized productions. I like how you're the expert though in regards to the motivations behind all those people.

kswiston

No need to shit up the thread with personal attacks even if you disagree with him.

Some of those reviews are extremely similar to the 1990 movie yet some people still love that.

Crappy reviews don´t mean that the creators did not care about the movie or making of the movie especially with $125 million budget. The budget alone shows that they care about the TMNT IP.

Gartooth

Really surprised at how well TMNT performed compared to expectations. The Nick cartoon and merchandizing helped bring in the kids which definitely helped build momentum given that I haven't seen nearly that much marketing.

Haven't seen the movie yet. I really like the new animated series but was put off by the movie's trailers. Maybe one of these nights...

Crappy reviews don´t mean that the creators did not care about the movie or making of the movie especially with $125 million budget. The budget alone shows that they care about the TMNT IP.

"Care" at least for me implies that effort has gone into making a decent script, or casting appropriate talent. When professional reviews are saying that this is the exact opposite of what is going on with this movie, "care" is hard to justify.

As for budget, Budget isn't a good indicator. "The adventures of pluto nash" had a 100 million dollar budget, and that was in 2002, when 100 million budgets were still remarkable. It's largely regarded as one of the biggest cinematic pieces of crap ever made. I haven't seen this one yet (I'll wait for netflix, if ever..I don't have a ton of free time) but the reviews are pretty similar to all three transformers films which I DID watch. Largely soulless cash grabs, banking on a recognizable franchise and a few explosions. I was hoping turtles would be better (I am after all, a child of the 80s and love 80s cartoons) but id doesn't look like it breaks the mold.

PsychBat!

Banned
"Care" at least for me implies that effort has gone into making a decent script, or casting appropriate talent. When professional reviews are saying that this is the exact opposite of what is going on with this movie, "care" is hard to justify.

As for budget, Budget isn't a good indicator. "The adventures of pluto nash" had a 100 million dollar budget, and that was in 2002, when 100 million budgets were still remarkable. It's largely regarded as one of the biggest cinematic pieces of crap ever made.
20101111231727!Pluto_Nash_Day.jpg

As for budget, Budget isn't a good indicator. "The adventures of pluto nash" had a 100 million dollar budget, and that was in 2002, when 100 million budgets were still remarkable. It's largely regarded as one of the biggest cinematic pieces of crap ever made. I haven't seen this one yet (I'll wait for netflix, if ever..I don't have a ton of free time) but the reviews are pretty similar to all three transformers films which I DID watch. Largely soulless cash grabs, banking on a recognizable franchise and a few explosions. I was hoping turtles would be better (I am after all, a child of the 80s and love 80s cartoons) but id doesn't look like it breaks the mold.

Care is different thing to different people. You can´t say that people who made this movie don´t care about it. And a lot of people who care about their work whether games, music, movies, the end product turns out terrible. You can´t just say that because of reviews.

happypup

At least there's a chance that turtles collapses next week, so at the end of the day the quality film will win. I think casting anyone other than Megan Fox would have led to an immediate increase in quality

The quality film already won. This is a battle of opening week vs second week, The turtles are only getting a symbolic victory here. Guardians has still outperformed everyone's expectations. It will no doubt be listed ahead of turtles in box office numbers before to long, and will easily make more money (domestically, most likely internationally as well, though I haven't look at how well TMNT is doing internationally). Hell it'll be one of the highest grossing films of the year.

I mean the whole competition thing is silly, don't look at Turtles claiming the top spot as anything but what it is; a movie that is also doing better than expectations. When movies like this one get made and do well it means other properties seem less risky to adapt to live action, and though these aren't high art by any stretch, the possibility of something special happening improves the less people see these properties as a risk. I am still hoping for a Dino Riders movie, and yeah it'll probably be bad, but I will still enjoy the hell out of it on pure spectacle.

MIMIC

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $25. 6M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $12.3M - $147M total
3) Into the Storm - $6.5M
4) The 100 Foot Journey - $3.7M
5) Step Up All In - $2.8M
6) Lucy - $1.8M - $91M total
7) Hercules - $1.7M - $59M total
8) Get on Up - $1.5M - $19M total
9) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - $1.2M - $195M total

I hope (or wish that) "Into the Storm" bombs. "Twister" came out like a thousand years ago and the special effects still look 100x better than this mess.

kswiston

It will no doubt be listed ahead of turtles in box office numbers before to long, and will easily make more money (domestically, most likely internationally as well, though I haven't look at how well TMNT is doing internationally).

Turtles is sitting at $12M internationally from 19 markets after yesterday. Mexico is $2.6M after 2 days, Russia is $5.5M after 2 days. Other territories are smaller. It doesn't even open in most of the larger territories (UK, Germany, France, Australia, etc) until mid-September to mid-October, so you are going to be waiting a long while before getting a final tally.

Care is different thing to different people. You can´t say that people who made this movie don´t care about it. And a lot of people who care about their work whether games, music, movies, the end product turns out terrible. You can´t just say that because of reviews.

Before I drop this, I'll address your point, because there's some confusion.

When someone says that "care has gone into a product" it implies that said product is quality and crafted well from top to bottom. It has nothing to do with how the manufacturer or those involved in the process feel about it personally. Plenty of excellent products exist that were made with virtual slave labor, as in pretty much everything nike makes. Plenty of absolutely terrible products exist that people poured their hearts and souls into, but said people just did not have the ability, talent, or desire to make a product that matches their intent.

They are two completely different concepts using a similar word.

How is that any different than 11 MCU movies in 7 years? Or ANY popular IP? Man of Steel got bad reviews too. Going to tell me no care went into that movie? That it was just a cash grab on the Superman name? Not every Marvel movie is the second coming of Christ. Even the shit ones make money. No different than Transformers.

How is that any different than 11 MCU movies in 7 years? Or ANY popular IP? Man of Steel got bad reviews too. Going to tell me no care went into that movie? That it was just a cash grab on the Superman name? Not every Marvel movie is the second coming of Christ. Even the shit ones make money. No different than Transformers.

none of the reviews for anything in the MCU are anywhere close to the reception turtles is getting. none. Neither is man of steel. The worst MCU film (Incredible Hulk) has about a 67% critical rating. Man of Steel is 56%. Turtles is 20%. There is overwhelming critical consensus that turtles is not a good movie. This isn't the case for any of the MCU movies (though why you focus on those is a mystery to me.)

The closest films in that genre anywhere in the ballpark of TMNT right now are Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

not only are these movies "not liked" they're reviled as being absolute shit, and you don't have to look very hard to find scathing reviews about them. So no, I don't think any "care" went into making the comic films that are sitting in the bottom of the critical barrel along with TMNT. Ghost rider in particular is a shameless film made on a shoestring budget in an attempt to keep the film rights.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
BOM forecast

Guardians of the Galaxy plummeted 67 percent to $12.3 million. That drop is identical to Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which fell 67 and 68 percent, respectively. This suggests that the strong reviews and word-of-mouth didn't give Guardians much of a bump. For the three-day weekend, the movie should wind up around $41 million.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3888&p=.htm

I wonder if it will plummet some more by the end of the weekend?

Help... looks like we're gonna get horribly designed turtles on the big screen for years to come... i'm royally screwed. The turtles died for me this year (at least big screen wise speaking).

Sanjuro

none of the reviews for anything in the MCU are anywhere close to the reception turtles is getting. none. Neither is man of steel. The worst MCU film (Incredible Hulk) has about a 67% critical rating. Man of Steel is 56%. Turtles is 20%. There is overwhelming critical consensus that turtles is not a good movie. This isn't the case for any of the MCU movies (though why you focus on those is a mystery to me.)

The closest films in that genre anywhere in the ballpark of TMNT right now are Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

not only are these movies "not liked" they're reviled as being absolute shit, and you don't have to look very hard to find scathing reviews about them. So no, I don't think any "care" went into making the comic films that are sitting in the bottom of the critical barrel along with TMNT. Ghost rider in particular is a shameless film made on a shoestring budget in an attempt to keep the film rights.

That doesn't mean those respective films aren't cash grabs.

Cheebo

Banned
Can you imagine how huge a well-received Turtled movie would have done if this did 65 mil?

A Turtles movie that was well made and overall well-liked could have done 100 mil opening.

That doesn't mean those respective films aren't cash grabs.

"Cash grab", at least in the sense I'm using it, implies that it's not a good product. Every major release is designed with making money in mind. making money is fine. That's capitalism. It keeps food on people's tables. TDK made an assload of money, did so with a character who was already very popular, but managed to garner massive critical acclaim from just about everyone.

Making a BAD product and leaning on prior name recognition alone to bring people in is a different story.

Can you imagine how huge a well-received Turtled movie would have done if this did 65 mil?

A Turtles movie that was well made and overall well-liked could have done 100 mil opening.

Easily. Imagine the kind of bank Transformers would be bringing in, if those movies weren't an absolute mess.

not only are these movies "not liked" they're reviled as being absolute shit, and you don't have to look very hard to find scathing reviews about them.

Haha what? MCU got brought up because apparently every MCU movie is full of love and passion. Not about the money. I shared a quote from the TMNT creator himself. Saying he thinks it's a fun Turtles movie. Not a oscar winning movie. Not a billion dollar movie. A fun Turtles movie. That's it.

It seems like your constantly using RT for your argument which i find silly as fuck. "Professional reviews", lol. I think TMNT1 is better than 90% of MCU/DC movies. I guess i'm wrong because RT says otherwise. I guess we should all just stop debating on GAF anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom