• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 09•06-08•13 - 1D guys pounded out of top 5 by Diesel's 'dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

W1jf3HS.jpg
niF48je.jpg
qq54mIB.jpg
Mhkbzon.jpg
JZ7RfUz.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
XsJrh.gif
59% Riddick
9wcOG.gif
72% Lee Daniels' The Butler
kavuF.gif
60% Instructions Not Included
3Pj0x.gif
47% We're the Millers
5f4ew.gif
26% Planes

metacritic box office:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Riddick’ Defies Post-Labor Day Slump With $18.7 Mil, Knocks ‘Butler’ to Second Place. Total domestic box office outstrips the same frame last year by roughly 25%

Vin Diesel helped light up what is usually a dark post-Labor Day box office period, with Universal’s franchise pic “Riddick” scoring a solid estimated $18.7 million domestically.

The film claimed the weekend’s No. 1 spot, unseating the Weinstein Co.’s “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” which fell to second place with $8.9 million. The three-week champ, which fell just 40% in its fourth frame, reached $91.9 million Stateside through Sunday.

Total domestic box office was up over this time last year by roughly 25%, thanks also to a excellent expansion for Lionsgate-Pantelion’s “Instructions Not Included.” The Hispanic-targeted crowdpleaser earned $8.1 million from just 717 locations, up from 384 last weekend, for a Stateside cume now past $20 million.

While “Riddick” defied the post-Labor Day slump, the film still came in on the low-side of expectations. Pic opened with less than its predecessor’s $24 million debut in 2004, but the three-quel outperformed the original film, 2000′s “Pitch Black,” which grossed $11.6 million during opening weekend.

Aside from “The Butler,” which has dominated with adult auds, a few other holdovers continue to hold their ground nicely.

Warner Bros.-New Line’s R-rated hit comedy “We’re the Millers” fell just 38% in its fifth outing, with $7.9 million, lifting its domestic cume to an impressive $123.8 million.

Meanwhile, Sony’s “One Direction: This Is Us” dropped a steep 74% in three days, grossing an estimated $4.1 million. The drop-off is somewhat expected considering how frontloaded the film’s opening was, though similar music docs, including “Justin Bieber” and the Michael Jackson pic, fell just 55% and 43% in the second frames, respectively.

At the specialty box office, Exclusive Media’s drama “Adore,” starring Robin Wright and Naomi Watts, earned a meager $125,400 from 57 locations, averaging just $2,200 per screen. The film played better on non-theatrical platforms, however. Pic debuted in the top 15 on iTunes this weekend.​

*click pic for full list/source*

Ridley327

If for nothing else, the Weinsteins certainly picked a great time to release The Butler. I doubt that the high end of their expectations went that high.

kswiston

Overseas Updates:

Planes
Domestic: $79,300,000
Foreign: $41,900,000
Worldwide: $121,200,000

Monsters University
Domestic: $265,000,000
Foreign: $459,400,000
Worldwide: $724,400,000

World War Z
Domestic: $200,900,000
Foreign: $335,00,000
Worldwide: $535,900,000

The Lone Ranger
Domestic: $88,800,000
Foreign: $154,500,000
Worldwide: $243,300,000

Despicable Me 2
Domestic: $357,000,000
Foreign: $475,200,000
Worldwide: $832,200,000

Fast and Furious 6
Domestic: $238,700,000
Foreign: $549,300,000
Worldwide: $788,000,000

Smurfs 2
Domestic: $68,200,000
Foreign: $199,200,000
Worldwide: $267,400,000

kswiston

It didn't do horrible but Riddick underperformed studio expectations and tracking.

Dollar theater run.

Dollar theatre runs don't number 2000+ screens. They gave the film a re-expansion. It's back in my regular cinemas (albeit only 1 showing an evening) .

I wonder if the This is the End re-run has anything to do with Franco's roast getting really nice ratings for Comedy Central? Or just a coincidence?

kswiston

I wonder if the This is the End re-run has anything to do with Franco's roast getting really nice ratings for Comedy Central? Or just a coincidence?

That might be part of it. The film was also really close to $100M and Sony needs some wins this year.

Elysium
Domestic: $85,600,000
Foreign: $127,100,000
Worldwide: $212,700,000

Alrus

Riddick is doing okay-ish. It's going to be a profitable venture anyway, considering the budget is rather small.

hamchan

Only care about Riddick making profit so Vin Diesel can keep making the movies. With the small budget it looks like that will happen.

kswiston

Releasing Planes in theaters instead of a direct to video scheme was a very clever move by Disney.

Planes still has a ton of overseas markets to launch in. I think Disney will end up close to $200M worldwide for what is basically a commercial for Planes toys.

kswiston

I do wonder why return engagements aren't done more often than they are.

They are most common at the end of summer because Late Aug/Early Sep release slates are always weak. I would imagine that competition for screens is the reason we don't see too many return engagements at other times of the year.

They are most common at the end of summer because Late Aug/Early Sep release slates are always week. I would imagine that competition for screens is the reason we don't see too many return engagements at other times of the year.

Yeah, good point. I'd imagine studios trying to negotiate to get a movie that's already had time on their screens BACK on those screens in the fall is a little tricky considering the constant stream of new films pouring out that could potentially bring in more money.

I wonder what the profit margins are for the studio this time out. I gotta imagine the exhibitors are getting a bigger cut to essentially stick a summer rerun back on their screen.

Overseas Updates:

World War Z
Domestic: $200,900,000
Foreign: $335,00,000
Worldwide: $535,900,000

Fast and Furious 6
Domestic: $238,700,000
Foreign: $549,300,000
Worldwide: $788,000,000

I didn't like WWZ all that much, but I am impressed that it's managed to stick around and make close to $550M.

Also great to see FF6 do so well, have very high hopes for FF7 with Statham.

Xevren

Just a coincidence. Movies get brought back at this time of year every year. Star Trek, World War Z and Monsters University came back again for a week last week too.

kswiston

I wonder what the profit margins are for the studio this time out. I gotta imagine the exhibitors are getting a bigger cut to essentially stick a summer rerun back on their screen.

I'm positive that Sony is mainly doing this to push the film to $100M, and is taking a pretty minor cut on this weekend's earnings. I wouldn't be surprised if the theatres are keeping 70%.

Kinda surprised Warners didn't try this for Man of Steel, honestly. But I'd imagine Sony's need to have that movie hit 100 is a little stronger than WB's need for Man of Steel to hit 300.

edit: speaking of which, Forbes has Man of Steel opening in Japan at 3.7mil this weekend.

Toth

Saw This is the End today thanks to the re-release and really enjoyed it. It was so weird seeing it back in theaters.

The Butler only made 3x its budget? What a flop! Thanks to all the good, hard-working conservative Americans boycotting the movie.

200px-Fox_News_Channel.svg_.png

Grisby

Awesome news for Riddick. My theater was packed and I was pretty surprised. Outside of the ending it's a solid film.

Decado

Elysium

For all the "flop" talk, Elysium is doing pretty decently, at least relative to the other big budget sci-fi flicks out this year. It's relatively new in some markets and has a couple mid-size markets left to go. Particularly keeping in mind that unlike Pacific Rim, Oblivion and After Earth, it hasn't been released in China.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, you're not going to top this title anytime soon. haha

Busty

Banned
What a truly horrendous year Sony are having. This is the sort of year that causes studio executives to get fired from the lot in a giant cannon.

I cannot believe that Grown Ups 2 is the only $100m+ release Sony have had this year. And to think that the studio basically drop kicked Sandler off the lot causing him to set up his next project at WB.

Even with the This Is End rerelease it's still going to make for grim reading if, with a really expensive slate, all they can manage is two $100n+ grossers, Though their Fall line up looks better there are no sure things there either.

It's going to be a very long wait until May next year when the Spider Man sequel comes around.

Elysium

This is teetering close to a disaster. Less than $300m WW would have been poor but falling way under that is a bona fide disaster for all concerned.

Though Sony didn't finance they did pay well over $100m for the distribution rights so they are going to be swimming in just as much red ink as MRC.

It didn't do horrible but Riddick underperformed studio expectations and tracking.

While I think that Riddick did solid enough business the tracking for this has been all over the place. At one point it's 'first choice' rating was so high some were saying it was a lock for a $40m+ opening!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
What a truly horrendous year Sony are having. This is the sort of year that causes studio executives to get fired from the lot in a giant cannon.

I cannot believe that Grown Ups 2 is the only $100m+ release Sony have had this year. And to think that the studio basically drop kicked Sandler off the lot causing him to set up his next project at WB.

Even with the This Is End rerelease it's still going to make for grim reading if, with a really expensive slate, all they can manage is two $100n+ grossers, Though their Fall line up looks better there are no sure things there either.

It's going to be a very long wait until May next year when the Spider Man sequel comes around.

Sony better be praying that the PlayStation 4 is a home run. They gotta make money somewhere.

kswiston

Sony better be praying that the PlayStation 4 is a home run. They gotta make money somewhere.

All of their big budget tentpoles bombed or underperformed this summer (unless you count Grown ups 2 as a tentpole). Smurfs 2 was probably the biggest hit of the bunch. They had to have been expecting $500-600M off of that film, given the performance of the last one. That should have been easy money in a summer where most of the releases were not established properties.

Next year doesn't look that much better. Amazing Spider-man 2 is the only thing I see on their release slate guaranteed to break $300M WW. 22 Jump Street will probably make good money, but comedies are rather limited overseas in most instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom