• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

dab0ne

Atter that. Incinerator room. I die really quickly even with 320+ health

Gotcha. When you die the entire arsenal behind that main blast shield refills itself on the upper level. Before going down go the the arsenal and get everything. Then get as many Grenades as possible and refill your Arc Gun/Cutter. Before I jumped down I would get dual rocket launchers ready as my alternate weapon and have my arc gun as my main (fully upgraded with scope of course). Once you hit him with the arc gun/ cutter it will stun him. I then threw all my grenades at him and finished with dual rocket launchers. If it doesnt kill him it will certainly weaken him. Make sure and do it fast. Don't give that fucker time to breathe!!!

Edit: Also,
the boxes above are littered with armor. Get that shit and as I'm sure you've figured out, the more you hurt him the more the room catches on fire so look out for that.

Please tell me you can unlock ("nightmare" spoilers)
wolf3d
as a standalone game mode.

Pleeeeease?
Sorry, I think it's only an Easter Egg.

what a scrub much lulz

abuse the fuck out of that laser BFG scope thing, then just drain all your machine gun grenades into him. That's what I did on hard anyway >_>

Hard, yeah mmmmkay.
On Uber he tanked every rocket I had, a full LKW and marksman charge, and all my nades before finally going down to like four full shotgun magazines. That fight is a workout.

dab0ne

Hey guys should I get this game? I was watching the streaming and looks fun

Do you like Arcade style, hectic corridor shooters with air tight controls, big guns, and bigger enemies? Add all that to a well paced level structure and great voice acting/cinematic cut scenes and you have Wolfenstein TNO. If all that sounds good... then yeah... you should check it out.

rav

I'm about an hour in.
I do not like the moral choice presented, and I let myself die 5 times in protest, and closed the game. Not sure if I want to continue. :( I didn't mind it as much in Bioshock, because it seemed like it was forced upon you each time (1+2, and infinity)
Friends that are playing it are telling me to keep going. But I'm not sure, I might just play other stuff in my backlog.

-Amon-

That's lame man. It's tedious busy work that completely takes you away from the good stuff that's going on. This is supposed to be a self aware action game that just lets you go nuts it's not fallout 3 where you gotta scavenge around to survive.

I would not call ammo hunting tedious. I'ts an integral part of the genre.

It's like calling tedious shooting people in fps, why the bastards don't go down by themselves ?

dab0ne

I would not call ammo hunting tedious. I'ts an integral part of the genre.

It's like calling tedious shooting people in fps, why the bastards don't go down by themselves ?

Ha, nice! But I do get what he's saying. Maybe if they approached it the way borderlands did it would be better. In borderlands you held down the pickup button and collected all the nearby loot which saved you from having to spam the pickup button over and over again.

Klyka

Banned
I'm about an hour in.
I do not like the moral choice presented, and I let myself die 5 times in protest, and closed the game. Not sure if I want to continue. :( I didn't mind it as much in Bioshock, because it seemed like it was forced upon you each time (1+2, and infinity)
Friends that are playing it are telling me to keep going. But I'm not sure, I might just play other stuff in my backlog.

... What?

Andrew.

Banned
Trying to sneak into the Prison now.

Andrew, thanks again for the recommendation. I'm loving this game so much.

No problem dude! Glad you're enjoying it!

---

Side note: That one battle in the U boat kicked my ass. I'm talking 10+ deaths before I succeeded. The Chapter 6 end battle was small potatoes compared to that.

SkylineRKR

what a scrub much lulz

abuse the fuck out of that laser BFG scope thing, then just drain all your machine gun grenades into him. That's what I did on hard anyway >_>

Me too, seems to be the most viable way. I had enough rockets to kill him. I think its easiest to just move from left to right at the back of the room with the walls. You can't really run into fire that way.

antitrop

I'm about an hour in.
It's a video game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm about an hour in.

If that part of the game is bothering you then this game is probably going to be too much for you to handle.

-Amon-

Ha, nice! But I do get what he's saying. Maybe if they approached it the way borderlands did it would be better. In borderlands you held down the pickup button and collected all the nearby loot which saved you from having to spam the pickup button over and over again.

Dunno. Having to pick up ammo boxes individually gives you that moment: "yeah i was dry of shotgun rounds for the last 15 minutes, now i can use them both again !!!"

I mean, that way you are more aware of everything you pick up.

Also hearing horror stories about the final boss prepared me too well.

It was pretty easy for me, o think I expected a much tougher fight based on people's expectations.

dab0ne

Dunno. Having to pick up ammo boxes individually gives you that moment: "yeah i was dry of shotgun rounds for the last 15 minutes, now i can use them both again !!!"

I mean, that way you are more aware of everything you pick up.

Ha, I usually say "OH SHIT FUCK I NEEDS MORE BULLETS!!! Damn these human hands I wish I could pick them up with telekinesis or osmosis!"

Edit:

Collectibles and secret doors should be spotted and picked up/opened individually.

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong with my sound setup, or if the game really does just have really terrible audio quality?

A lot of effects in the game sound like they're completely compressed on the high end, similar to a bad MP3 encode. It sort of sounds like what happens when you have your TV and speakers outputting at the same time - effects layering to sound all tinny and flat, like they were recorded underwater. My TV's speakers are off, though, and other games sound totally fine.

Is this just something I'm going to have to put up with? I just don't understand why the audio sounds so bad when they had 50GB to work with.

Not sure which to get. This game or Watch Dogs.

How long is W:TNO?
I doubt Watch Dogs will be better than Wolfenstein, have heard typical Ubisoft design complaints from people who've played it.

Up to Chapter 11, just met the shotgun shrapnel dudes haha motherfuckers!

This is a GOTY contender for sure in my eyes. I especially love all the incidental dialogue, there's so much you can miss. The chat between Bubi and Frau Engel over why she isn't doing the typical
babymaker woman
role so now she gets to have fun. The chat between J and Wyatt over music, or between Fergus and Tekla over predictions are pretty long and great. I finally found out what the J in Blazko's name is thanks to Tekla. And this amazing line is delivered:
ibnzGQlzZw7FPk.jpg

If you don't sleep in chapter 9, you miss out on 2 brilliant cutscenes with Tekla (weird and hilarious) and J (poignant and hilarious). Like when you're in the sewers for the welding thing, if you don't come up for air midway you miss out on two German citizens (or Nazis?) talking about Gibraltar Bridge (wow, found out this is a real thing not yet done) and how Africa is a great place for big game hunting. Or how a German citizen tries to rat out a boy who likes to put on lipstick to a Nazi guard.

iPkL0JcnW4Sx8.jpg

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Based on what people are posting, I feel that the timeline split between
Tekla and J are there to represent the decision between Fergus and Wyatt. Why did you choose who you chose to live? Fergus is arguably the safer option if what you're after is an experienced, proven soldier and leader who will better the cause of a military that needs people with real skills and experience. Wyatt is the the more appropriate choice if you sympathise with his vulnerability and potential to grow in a situation he's struggling to handle. Parallel to this Tekla is logistics taken to an extreme, seeing the world as patterns from decisions and probability, exactly why someone would choose Fergus. Meanwhile J is more relaxed, but also a young minority, representative of the most vulnerable people under the Reich.

I picked
wyatt
just cause I felt
I owed him from saving me from the panzerhund, I liked ferg more though :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yup so far this is the best game of the year.

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong with my sound setup, or if the game really does just have really terrible audio quality?

A lot of effects in the game sound like they're completely compressed on the high end, similar to a bad MP3 encode. It sort of sounds like what happens when you have your TV and speakers outputting at the same time - effects layering to sound all tinny and flat, like they were recorded underwater. My TV's speakers are off, though, and other games sound totally fine.

Is this just something I'm going to have to put up with? I just don't understand why the audio sounds so bad when they had 50GB to work with.

The sound mixing and 3D positional audio is completely flat/broken (at least for me on PC)

DirtyLarry

On Chapter 10 now. Need to pop in the thread and say it again...
What a damn good game.
Love everything about it.

My one and only critique would be I do wish they took a different route with the first hour or so. It really does not give people a good indication at all as to what to expect.
So while it is a testament to the old adage patience is a virtue, I do fear they may lose some people who do not have patience. Oh well, it is their loss at the end of the day.

Brilliant game. Wolfenstein is back. Kudos to MachineGames. Truly and sincerely my hats off to that team.
I actually think the current 78 metascore on metacritic is an absolute travesty.

mrqs

Just finished the game.

The game is great
but the last 2 chapters are JUST about corridor shooting. You literally just go from room to room gunshooting anything that passes by, that's pretty lame. The moon chapter could be so much more and it was just... corridor shooting. Not even a lot of stuff happens, it's just you going from point A to point B. The ending chapter is pretty boring too, but the ending was nice. The narrative is amazing and this could be a stellar game, but it turned out as only "great".

Congratulations to Machine games.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This game is the most pleasant surprise of 2014 for me. Really enjoying it and this was the far the best impulse buy so far :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
On Chapter 10 now. Need to pop in the thread and say it again...
What a damn good game.
Love everything about it.

My one and only critique would be I do wish they took a different route with the first hour or so. It really does not give people a good indication at all as to what to expect.
So while it is a testament to the old adage patience is a virtue, I do fear they may lose some people who do not have patience. Oh well, it is their loss at the end of the day.

Brilliant game. Wolfenstein is back. Kudos to MachineGames. Truly and sincerely my hats off to that team.
I actually think the current 78 metascore on metacritic is an absolute travesty.

I think the reason for the slower liner tutorial in this game is to not turn off all new gamers who got used to completely different FPS style (COD/BF) in the last generation. Just look at some lets play, some poor souls try to play this as COD.

as for the metacritic.. it's indeed sad but this is what we get from reviewers these days, while other tired boring shooters sequels that do nothing new, shorter and full of flaws get higher scores. it's better to just forget about metascores.

Grumbul

Wrapped this up today.

Absolutely fantastic game from start to finish - really made me realise how much fun a well put together fps can actually be.

I really hope this is a financial hit for them so we get more quality single player experiences like this.

DocSeuss

I'm bugged by the suicide car. I never met the guy before. It just sort of happens. Felt like they wanted it to have impact, but all I got was a dude saying "I'm not doing this again, I'm stressed as balls," then suicide.

Regarding that second-to-last fight,
I was kinda sad Wyatt didn't become my awesome robot buddy who beat Nazis to a pulp. We could have been indestructibros

I'm about an hour in.

Why? It's a thing that could happen to you in real life. You could be attacking a bad guy base, get caught, and have to live with the consequences of something horrible happening. Not everything's going to go your way--you aren't the only human being alive capable of making choices. Other people do too, and the sooner you learn that, the better.

It's certainly the best one that I've played.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any game that I've played or heard of that has been better than Wolfenstein in a good 2-3 years. Shadow Warrior's legitimately the only game that I think can compete with it.

Denton

Ok the game got better. I just got into chapter 5, and every chapter so far has been much better than the first one. Even managed to get it to run at 60fps without drops, finally.

Murtrod

Ok the game got better. I just got into chapter 5, and every chapter so far has been much better than the first one. Even managed to get it to run at 60fps without drops, finally.

How were you able to stabilize performance? I would love to know...

Denton

The first chapter is a training level.

Even so, could have been much better than it was. Gave horrible first impression.

How were you able to stabilize performance? I would love to know...

Set max ppf to 16, shadows 2048, compress enabled, reflections medium. Rest of the stuff is enabled and high. My 280X handles this in 1080p/60, catalyst 14.4
The game is still bizzare technically, but I guess it is just AMD not liking that openGL engine.

delta25

Banned
man the sheer detail in the safe house is absolutely amazing and its just oozing with atmosphere.

wow this game, I tell you...

dyergram

I'm about an hour in.
It makes no difference which you pick.

SkylineRKR

For me Chapter 1 wasn't horrible. The first half was mediocre, but I kind of enjoyed the second half. The setting was Wolfenstein and there were some good shootouts.

dyergram

Yep can't believe nobody has pinched this.

Gangxxter

Oh man, this game is so great! A very fun, old-school shooter with so much stuff to discover in the levels, many secrets and so many lovely little details.
As someone who speaks German it's even better because I can read and understand everything. Those voice actors are all top notch. Especially B.J.'s German is hilarious!

I think you miss a lot when you don't understand German. Sure, all the important stuff is subtitled and/or translated. But so little nice details like propaganda posters on the walls or warning signs in German are not translated.
I also really like those German lines on the loading screens. Although they're sick Nazi-like paroles, they are very atmospheric nonetheless.

eshwaaz

as for the metacritic.. it's indeed sad but this is what we get from reviewers these days, while other tired boring shooters sequels that do nothing new, shorter and full of flaws get higher scores. it's better to just forget about metascores.

Yes and yes. It makes me cringe when I think about how many people have passed on this game due to the Metacritic score. Machine Games delivered a great game and deserves better.

Top Bottom