• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

DieH@rd

Banned
You do know that you're meant to hold l2 to block(grab their arm) and instakill them right ?

Then there's no stab stab stab... just one quick counter stab.

Works the same with dogs, just hold l2 to grab their jaws and kill them instantly.

gC7k030.gif

The shooting is great. Everything else, not as much. The sound mix is a mess, the story is a jumble and I really don't like all the forced non-shooter parts where you just kind of have to walk forward or climb or whatever just to get to where something else is. Also, the cuts in and out of prerendered cutscenes are pretty bad.

This game also deserves an award for Freakiest Fucking Faces like nothing else. Sometimes they look fantastic - playing the card game with Bubi and the Nazi lady had some great animation, but more often than not everyone has a really bizarre bug-eyed look.

She isn't, as far as I can tell.

She's interesting. I appreciate J's commentary on race but I prefer Tekla's philosophical discussions more as they are much more thought provoking. I also thought her
death scene was much more heartfelt than J's

J's better in my opinion because it addresses a point I seldom see people talking about when it comes to WW2 or the US in the postwar: the hypocrisy of claiming moral superiority over racists A while being a racist B.

Nemesis_

J's better in my opinion because it addresses a point I seldom see people talking about when it comes to WW2 or the US in the postwar: the hypocrisy of claiming moral superiority over racists A while being a racist B.

Yeah, you raise a good point and that's the part of J's story that resonated the most with me. I never really thought about it, probably because it's something that people never talk about as you said.

I have a question about the two timelines/second playthroughs.

Are armor upgrades always in Wyatt timeline, and health upgrades always on Fergus', or does it change depending on the one you pick first?

DocSeuss

I can't believe Colin Moriarty at IGN said this has unremarkable shooting and bad dual wielding.

He must have played a different game.

I'm betting he didn't play it on PC.

In all seriousness, game reviewers are WEIRD when it comes to shooters. Genuinely weird. For instance, Polygon's Shadow Warrior review said that it was BETTER with a controller--which would imply that they weren't very creative in their play at all, because the game's so much more limited when playing on a controller. Based on most reviews of shooters I've read, I sometimes wonder if there are any game journalists who actually understand how to play shooter campaigns.

dab0ne

You do know that you're meant to hold l2 to block(grab their arm) and instakill them right ?

Then there's no stab stab stab... just one quick counter stab.

Works the same with dogs, just hold l2 to grab their jaws and kill them instantly.

Edit: And if I remember correctly you can also block melee attacks before they grab you. Having a knife equipped and pressing l2 at the right moment will block their attack and create an opening for takedown/quick kill.
Actually you can just hit R2 when you see them start their attack and counter it.

Edit: while we're talking about armor upgrades... What does this do? I have them all but I rarely am able to get above 100% armor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Based on what people are posting, I feel that the timeline split between
Tekla and J are there to represent the decision between Fergus and Wyatt. Why did you choose who you chose to live? Fergus is arguably the safer option if what you're after is an experienced, proven soldier and leader who will better the cause of a military that needs people with real skills and experience. Wyatt is the the more appropriate choice if you sympathise with his vulnerability and potential to grow in a situation he's struggling to handle. Parallel to this Tekla is logistics taken to an extreme, seeing the world as patterns from decisions and probability, exactly why someone would choose Fergus. Meanwhile J is more relaxed, but also a young minority, representative of the most vulnerable people under the Reich.

DocSeuss

Tekla and J are there to represent the decision between Fergus and Wyatt. Why did you choose who you chose to live? Fergus is arguably the safer option if what you're after is an experienced, proven soldier and leader who will better the cause of a military that needs people with real skills and experience. Wyatt is the the more appropriate choice if you sympathise with his vulnerability and potential to grow in a situation he's struggling to handle. Parallel to this Tekla is logistics taken to an extreme, seeing the world as patterns from decisions and probability, exactly why someone would choose Fergus. Meanwhile J is more relaxed, but also a young minority, representative of the most vulnerable people under the Reich.

That's an interesting and very valid interpretation of the narrative.

dab0ne

I chose Fergus first for the reason you suggested. Greater good and all that.

SkylineRKR

So how and where can you kill 5 mechanical enemies with grenades? I have a whopping 0/5 in my complete playthrough.

Pretty much. That hall in chapter 16 and the final boss
flame room
were the only two parts I really died a lot. Overall quite an easy difficulty despite the devs saying it would make you cry blood :p

I died the most at the
window crash. But it was also fucked, I only had 20 health and no weapon pickups on retry. I thought this couldn't be true so I reloaded the chapter and there was an AR with rockets and much more health pickups. Its still difficult.

The final chapter,
the hall was difficult too, but you can take a detour to the left of the main hall, quickly disposing of a shotgun dude and ultimately go on a rampage with the turret.

The final boss was old school Wolf 3D gameplay. I ran from left to right, pumping rockets on him. He died before I ran out.

That makes Fergus easier as the first playthrough, then. There really wasn't much use for body armors that give you 170 if one's limit is still 100.

Yeah, I never really noticed the bonus on my Wyatt playthrough. Its just that I could leave armor at battles, and grab then when I was hit.

dab0ne

So how and where can you kill 5 mechanical enemies with grenades? I have a whopping 0/5 in my complete playthrough.

I died the most at the
window crash. But it was also fucked, I only had 20 health and no weapon pickups on retry. I thought this couldn't be true so I reloaded the chapter and there was an AR with rockets and much more health pickups. Its still difficult.

The final chapter,
the hall was difficult too, but you can take a detour to the left of the main hall, quickly disposing of a shotgun dude and ultimately go on a rampage with the turret.

The final boss was old school Wolf 3D gameplay. I ran from left to right, pumping rockets on him. He died before I ran out.

Yeah, I never really noticed the bonus on my Wyatt playthrough. Its just that I could leave armor at battles, and grab then when I was hit.
I killed 5 of those flying sentry turrets. Doing it while on the surface of the moon is a good spot. Just keep reloading the checkpoint until you've done it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so the PS3 version seems to run super nice .. real solid 60.
those visuals though .. not too hot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the biggest compliment I can give this game, Bethesda, and Machine Games is that New Order is a return to form for the school of Half-Life style first person shooter design made on an expensive budget with huge production values, diversity in assets and content, and satisfying in length. It's not faultless but fact of the matter is for all arguments that everybody makes generic shooters there are, in fact, very few "blockbuster" first person shooters like this. They're not made because the safer, repetitive, and simpler Call of Duty encounter and level design takes priority, length is discarded to favour multiplayer, or the games are third person and don't really attempt things shooters inspired by Half-Life did. Few publishers are willing to invest in such games, maybe for good economic reasons (they couldn't be cheap), but they are among my favour reasons to play games at all.

With New Order Machine Games accomplished what I haven't seen in far too long: a Half-Life saga style first person shooter with industry leading production and generally very consistent creativity and diversity in design, while embracing the simple core of being a first person shooter and not much else, even when it is straddling something else.

There's so many shitty shooters out these days and this simply isn't one of them. It's the exact opposite. If it tanks commercially I figure that'll be it for this style of game for yet another unbearably long wait.

AJ_Wings

I really hope this does well. Jens Matthies, the Creative Director, already has ideas for a sequel as stated in the Reddit AMA.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, I really hope for a sequel to this, or at least for MachineGames to get more work done like this. As I've said before I'm just happy to play an FPS that doesn't feel like I'm just going through the motions and the only enjoyment I am getting is at the base level of shooting dudes.

zonezeus

Just finished it, probably the best shooter since I don't know, Bioshock maybe? I hope this game will get some serious recognition and hopefully revive a long dead single-player FPS experience, I'm so sick of campaigns being an 5-hour long afterthoughts to multiplayer modes.

Is Anya
actually Ramona from the diary
?

Holy fuck... what... whoa...

Respawn

Banned
I'm very disappointed that a game which has lots of bullet sponge enemies and spams enemies at you makes you worry so much about ammo. I always seemed to run out and whose idea was it to make you pick it all up individually? Why can't I just walk over it? Every single moment of the game I have to break the enjoyment and tediously find ammo.

Ruined an otherwise surprisingly good game.
I enjoyed this. Absorbed me more into the game. No more lazy walk overs. You want ammo? Look for that shit and pick it up.

I think I'd buy the Half-Life comparisons a little easier if the game didn't have so many interrupting cutscenes and only-one-action-available narrative gameplay moments.

I get that the combat and traversal is slower paced and more open and layered than a Call of Duty or something, but the game still lets the narrative get in the way.

I think I'd buy the Half-Life comparisons a little easier if the game didn't have so many interrupting cutscenes and only-one-action-available narrative gameplay moments.

I get that the combat and traversal is slower paced and more open and layered than a Call of Duty or something, but the game still lets the narrative get in the way.

Yeah it was a weird choice to make them videos instead of in-engine cutscenes, the black and fade to black at the start and end of videos before it loads the next video were a bit jarring.

Lima

Yeah it was a weird choice to make them videos instead of in-engine cutscenes, the black and fade to black at the start and end of videos before it loads the next video were a bit jarring.

I mean they use them to mask loading times and they are 2.35:1 too.

Only thing I found was they looked worse to me than the game itself?

Dawg

I really do hope the sales for this title will end up good enough to warrant a sequel. Hell, they even deserve a bit more than that.

I want to see more from this developer and I can only imagine how good their next game will be if they can polish the few negatives this game had.

A lot will depend on sales, I guess. I just hope we won't hear anything about layoffs from this studio in the near future.

notBald

The "old-school" tags are super misleading. It's not. Serious Sam 3, Hard Reset, Necrovision and Shadow Warrior did a better job capturing what 90's shooters were like.
I haven't played any of those titles, but Wolf TNO never struck me as old school. Levels are mostly linear, and there's no red/blue/green keycard labyrinth hunts.

has major pacing issues that hold it back from being a Riddick-like success.
I should give Riddick another try. I can understand why someone would like that game better, but in my eyes Wolfenstein is a lot better.

There are some great additions like how they handle enemy respawns, the health and perk systems are great and dual-wielding can be fun,
Enemy spawning could have been better, but at least it wasn't Crysis where I've had enemies spawn on my head.

but there's not enough combat;
??? There's a ton of combat.

none of the weapons stand-out,
I rate them above average. They were at least distinct and different enough that I noticed picking up another gun. The laser weapons were also pretty fun to use, with their battery/recharge station mechanics.

stealth is appalling,
Disagree. It wasn't a deep mechanism, but stealth quickly becomes boring. Wolfenstein had just enough of it to not overstay its welcome.

most of the levels are either narrow corridors with a couple of optional rooms (which is fine, but it's not open) or boxy, heavily signaled battle arenas - there's little to no backtracking,
Yeah, it's linear. Not sure why people think this game open.

the adventure elements suck and I'm indifferent to the story. The latter would be fine if you could skip past it, but you can't. It all feels a bit hodgepodge and lacks an identity.
I liked the story quite a lot. That said, I was able to skip the story sections. Just had to hit the button twice.

The home base is completely unnecessary and poorly executed. Why make me search for mold or a welder in a subpar Hound-Pits knock-off?
I liked this part. Different strokes I guess :)

It was nice to have a "downtime" area, and it was fun to explore. Too much of this would have been boring, but they got the balance right.

If they would've stuck to the combat and improved the stealth mechanics this would've been a great game.
What they should have improved was the A.I, everything else was good. Oh, and it already is a great game.

It doesn't live up to the teams pedigree and I don't think it's as good as Raven's 2009 game.
I can't stand FPS games with "hub" style setups and weapon shops. I tried to like Rage, but just couldn't. I'm unsure if there's any point of me hunting down this game.

It says something when I like the stealth in this game more than I did in Thief. And what I really like is that, since this isn't a stealth game, once I'm found I feel more than comfortable pulling out the guns and blazing my way to the next checkpoint.

I really do hope the sales for this title will end up good enough to warrant a sequel. Hell, they even deserve a bit more than that.

I want to see more from this developer and I can only imagine how good their next game will be if they can polish the few negatives this game had.

A lot will depend on sales, I guess. I just hope we won't hear anything about layoffs from this studio in the near future.

Sounds like they're going to be releasing campaign DLC. That selling well will help a sequel as well.

Lima

So if you complete Uber on Chapter 16 it will give you the Uber silver trophy?

Yes.

My recommendation for the Uber trophy/achievement is to play in 999 mode. Unlimited ammo and 999 health is fucking fun. Ran through the game using only dual wield.

dab0ne

Yes.

My recommendation for the Uber trophy/achievement is to play in 999 mode. Unlimited ammo and 999 health is fucking fun. Ran through the game using only dual wield.
I think you have to start a new game to do that though right? Will that overwrite your beaten chapters?

olimpia84

So any tips on defeating the boss on Chapter 5 on Uber difficulty?
the huge robot, maybe it's chapter 6? I don't have issues hitting him with my shots but I've basically exhausted all my ammo (shotgun, rifle, machine gun) and he doesn't go down. I even stun him with grenades and unload dual wielding shotguns on his face but still haven't beaten him.

dab0ne

So any tips on defeating the boss on Chapter 5 on Uber difficulty?
the huge robot, maybe it's chapter 6? I don't have issues hitting him with my shots but I've basically exhausted all my ammo (shotgun, rifle, machine gun) and he doesn't go down. I even stun him with grenades and unload dual wielding shotguns on his face but still haven't beaten him.
What's the setting? Can't think of the level off the top of my head.

Edit:
if you're in the helipad all I did was use the arc gun/cutter. There is a circled pillar in the middle of the floor with two recharge stations on it. I stayed behind that and shot it, recharged, repeat until it died.

Yuterald

Bought this on complete impulse after work yesterday. Last FPS I played through was Rage (lol). Playing on Uber and just got to Chapter 2 this morning... 0_0

Game's incredible!

olimpia84

What's the setting? Can't think of the level off the top of my head.

Edit:
if you're in the helipad all I did was use the arc gun/cutter. There is a circled pillar in the middle of the floor with two recharge stations on it. I stayed behind that and shot it, recharged, repeat until it died.

Yes, that's the setting. And thanks, will try that.

Realyn

I'm currently in chapter 5 if I'm not mistaken. Loving it so far. I just hope that I'll face a stupid big overpowered gen mutated (mini)-boss soon. That's kinda the only missing from an "oldschool" experience so far.

As far as the story goes this is one of the few games where I hope to find time travel. There's obviously a lot of talk about the Moon so I'm pretty sure that we'll go there sooner or later. After that or heck even while on the Moon you go back in time to the first mission. Instead of getting captured you use [random thingy from the future] and get to kill Hitler, alter the timeline and everyone is happy. Basically like the nazi Misfits episodes.

Not that I think that this'll happen or anything but well, would be cool if :).

Top Bottom