• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

dhonk

Enjoying the game more than TNO, because DAT SETTING. it's really fucking cool, and everything I want out of a Wolf experience.

Beat the game and it unlocks. Die and you restart. Never going to touch it myself.

Oh, so it's like Ironman mode in TNO. This game is alot shorter so I might go for it at some point.

A mode like that for a game such as this is just stupid, in my opinion. It's so cheap and poorly balanced on uber that ironmanning it would be ridiculously annoying.

Machinegames needs to work on its difficulties.

Dominator

I didn't know how much I needed this after TNO. So good. Wishful thinking so soon but I hope they announce a sequel to TNO at Bethesda's conference at E3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A mode like that for a game such as this is just stupid, in my opinion. It's so cheap and poorly balanced on uber that ironmanning it would be ridiculously annoying.

Machinegames needs to work on its difficulties.
Uber sucked in TNO too and this game is harder. Death Incarnate once you get most of the perks feels perfect to me.

Is the new order good? Amazon has a bundle for both.
New Order is one of my favorite FPS ever.

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it! I cant believe how good machine games is at story telling, atmosphere, and even gameplay. My only complaint is that shitty boss fight at the end.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love this guy's "no fucks given" face compared to what happened to him.

iUvWX7I5LsW5Q.jpg

Uber should be fun despite its difficulty, like veteran is in Call of Duty. But it's not, and that's on the developers. It lessens the game's appeal and quality, and frankly annoys me.

I'm still not feeling it at all, which saddens me because I loved TNO. I'm just finding the game frustrating and not particularly compelling. It's taken me three days to find the motivation to get to chapter three.

I had the platinum in TNO but for some reason it's like i've forgotten how to shoot in a straight line in TOB.

Could just be my game tastes have shifted and it's a side-effect of living in a post-Bloodborne world.

It's so cheap and poorly balanced on uber.
How so? Haven't had a problem so far (PC), am on chapter 4. It's a great challenge, never felt frustrated. Keeps me on my toes literally, and have been getting flanked more often compared to The New Order on Uber. It would be cheap if enemies somehow became bullet sponges like in other FPSs, or if they employed one-shot kill tactics, but I didn't see any of that.

How so? Haven't had a problem so far (PC), am on chapter 4. It's a great challenge, never felt frustrated. Keeps me on my toes literally, and have been getting flanked more often compared to The New Order on Uber. It would be cheap if enemies somehow became bullet sponges like in other FPSs, or if they employed one-shot kill tactics, but I didn't see any of that.

I find it frustrating, because of grenade spamming, cheap perfect aiming enemies and a lack of cover at points. It doesn't feel like it melds well with the gameplay.

I'm not a big fan of TNO, or this (thus far), though.

I find it frustrating, because of grenade spamming, cheap perfect aiming enemies and a lack of cover at points. It doesn't feel like it melds well with the gameplay.

If you're stuck in one place for too long, they'll throw grenades but throwing them back is pretty easy too. I don't find the enemies having perfect aiming, maybe the marksmen but that's to be expected which means gotta use the Bombenschuss on them. Pretty much everything is a cover if you're leaning. This is nothing on the level of Call of Duty veteran.

I'm not a great player or anything, but here is me in a battle on chapter 3 on Uber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxymj6YA7NY

"Count to Four. Inhale.
Count to Four. Exhale."

So that quote came from here in this prequel, which he repeats in The New Order during the torture.

i74UafdFKAucr.jpg

Very cool.

This was one of my favorite moments during this prequel. I wondered if they might connect the games via dialogue, and this is really cool.

I'm almost done with the game and I think it's been generally fun!

If you're stuck in one place for too long, they'll throw grenades but throwing them back is pretty easy too. I don't find the enemies having perfect aiming, maybe the marksmen but that's to be expected which means gotta use the Bombenschuss on them. Pretty much everything is a cover if you're leaning. This is nothing on the level of Call of Duty veteran.

I'm not a great player or anything, but here is me in a battle on chapter 3 on Uber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxymj6YA7NY

It's weird, because of whatever effect youtube compression has on that video, the sound mix is much better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Seriously man, drop down to Death Incarnate. Uber seems like it's killing your fun and DI is still a challenge.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

May want to fight the midboss on Chapter 4 before you get too defensive of Uber. It was pretty much my turning point and almost soured me on the entire game and difficulty. Up to that point the game felt like a doable if occasionally irritating challenge, but that fight...total garbage.

Up to Chapter 7 now and everything since Ch. 4 on Uber has been a serious breeze, but I was left kind of cold on the game and its balancing due to those few rough spots in Ch. 4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
May want to fight the midboss on Chapter 4 before you get too defensive of Uber. It was pretty much my turning point and almost soured me on the entire game and difficulty. Up to that point the game felt like a doable if occasionally irritating challenge, but that fight...total garbage.

Up to Chapter 7 now and everything since Ch. 4 on Uber has been a serious breeze, but I was left kind of cold on the game and its balancing due to those few rough spots in Ch. 4.
I found the game a lot easier in part two as well. The combat areas seemed to have a much better distribution of cover and supplies.

Moff

this franchise is in such good hands, absolutely love the gameplay, how easily the tie together stealth parts and shootouts, and you are even free to act as you wish, always with different ways through the levels. and there is just the right amount of nostalgia, I love how the use music from the classic wolf3d like in chapter 4. and then there is tons of meta content with the perks and collectibles to motivate further. absolutely love this expansion. I just wish the engine wouldnt suck so hard. oh and I don't like the pipe.

Finished Über today. Wasn't as horrific as I thought it would be, though you're still forced to stick to cover more than you normally would and going for the stealth approach is generally preferred. Repositioning also works well enough if there's adequate cover to speak of should shit hit the fan.

Also dreaded facing the final boss, but he's actually fairly easy once you use the
silenced pistol to dispatch the nazis the boss isn't taking care of
. Smooth sailing from thereon.

Literally all you have to do in that fight is pick up
the mini-gun
, sit in a corner and shoot. I'm surprised how little damage it did on Über after your posts. Common infantry
and the Super Soldier before him
dishes out far higher DPS.

Just finished my first run on Bring em on and that was fucking awesome. There were plenty of stealth areas to chew on, but I never felt even one solitary pang of regret when I messed up because the ensuing destruction and carnage was too damn good to pass up on.

I think I'd like more time with each of the challenge rooms before attempting story runs on the higher difficulties though. The most complex and toughest bits of each chapter are there for replays and score runs, but running through those gauntlets also helps to remember the best areas for cover and resupply and deviousness.

In terms of story and character The New Order stands tall, but for a shitton of focused run and gun bloody hell scenarios with optional steathy stabbination The Old Blood takes the prize, and for cheap too. Machine Games has done some great work here.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Literally all you have to do in that fight is pick up
the mini-gun
, sit in a corner and shoot. I'm surprised how little damage it did on Über after your posts. Common infantry
and the Super Soldier before him
dishes out far higher DPS.

I wanted to try that, but the gun disappeared after my first death(glitch?), leaving me forced to use my own arsenal. Baiting it in the corner of the shed and counting the shots between it running back to the spawn point to avoid damage and it literally took 2 entire clips of the sniper gun, a full clip of shotguns, and a couple hits of grenade pistol before it died for me on Uber.

Just kind of bullshit and impossible in a straight fight if the Super soldier MG disappears like it did for me. But I am glad to know that it WAS super effective. That initial entrance caught me off guard and both the body and gun were gone when reloading after getting swiped to death the first time. So I was left cursing that garbage, while the trick was effectively removed from my game.

Uber is incredibly easy throughout and the enemies don't grenade spam like they do in Call of Duty. Keep moving(you will accidentally run into one of the 5000 armor pickups), use the ability to lean(how crazy!) and it's really easy. My biggest complaint with the New Order and the Old Blood is how easy they are on Uber. You have so many weapons that at no point does the game ever become challenging as long as you pay attention. Do play with a mouse though so mowing through enemies is very fast.

Edit: How crazy in the sense of lean being in a FPS again, not in a snarky way

Levyne

Banned
I wonder how strongly the split between people finding Uber hard or easy correlates to controller and m/kb.

Edit: I haven't actually gotten to play it yet. Hopefully this weekend. I found the base game doable on Uber except the Bridge level took me some time.

Moff

I wonder how strongly the split between people finding Uber hard or easy correlates to controller and m/kb.

I'd say it's much easier with a mouse, I just killed the chapter 4 boss on my first try on uber. he had me down to 3hitpoints though.

was a great fight, though, this game is so well designed.

Unfortunately until tonight I had only gotten to play through the prologue as I had two finals to prep for. I finished Chapter 1 and am getting into Chapter 2 now. But man, that stealth section really did kill the good mood I had at the beginning. Glad to get that over and see it opening back up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I believe there's a key on the desk after Jäger hassles you.
LOL it's the second time on this page I missed a similar thing. Dammit

Unfortunately until tonight I had only gotten to play through the prologue as I had two finals to prep for. I finished Chapter 1 and am getting into Chapter 2 now. But man, that stealth section really did kill the good mood I had at the beginning. Glad to get that over and see it opening back up.
It's honestly really just one particular hallway that's bad in chapter one but yeah, it kills a lot of the momentum and the stealth isn't even as fun as the standard stealth. Game gets steadily better from there on out.

Just finished the game. Thought it was alright...

I think the The New Order is far better designed although I love the aesthetics of The Old Blood. The boss designs were absolutely awful though (especially that last boss).

Which one is the "midboss",
the dog
?

If it's that, like the other poster said, I just used the MG (too bad about your glitch): https://youtu.be/bU0kT_ZRUCQ

Wasn't a fan of the bridge, too many long-ranged skirmishes but the Bombenschuss just feels so good with those headshots.

Ricker

My only pet peeve with this game,besides being really hard in some places,like when they decide to strip all your weapons and you have 10 guys firing at you,is the annoying alarm blazing non stop until you clear the area or kill the commanders,whish there was a slider just for those lol...

Top Bottom