• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished also on Uber. Final boss was kind of interesting and really pleased it wasn't at all similar to what TNO offered.

Shame the MG glitched out for me in Ch 4, I bet my overall enthusiasm for the game would be higher but getting passed that 'section' was a complete buzzkill and soured my impression of the game dramatically. I wasn't quite so high on TNO as most here, but it was B-grade fun. This is more of that, not quite reaching the same highs, and for me several steeper lows.

Going for gold on the first challenge room is pure CoD grenade spam hell if you even for a moment try to duck into the hallway room. Yea, I'm not gonna bother.

My only pet peeve with this game,besides being really hard in some places,like when they decide to strip all your weapons and you have 10 guys firing at you,is the annoying alarm blazing non stop until you clear the area or kill the commanders,whish there was a slider just for those lol...
The alarms are another one of those things which makes me relish replaying missions or challenges. When you know where the commanders are hiding to begin with you can always either quickly take them out in stealth or go full on gunzerker on everybody while bee-lining it directly for their positions. Once you drop the commanders its all fun and cleanup.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I didn't have issues with uber until I reached the final boss. Now I'm stuck there.

End Boss Uber help:

I used the rocket pistol ducking near the far pillar on the top section. Aim for its mouth and you know its a good hit if it reels back in pain. After each shot you will either have to duck to avoid an arm sweep, or strafe as best you can to avoid a fist pound. When enemies start coming, just focus on head shotting them with the silenced pistol to avoid attracting sound. The monster will help kill them off. They are the only real threat as tons spawn, so just focus on them until its clear before going back to mouth shooting.

Eventually when the grenade pistol runs dry, I just used the sawed-off to finish it off. Before its close to death it also does a few new attacks, all very easy to avoid and mostly similar. Took about half-dozen attempts for me, the soldiers liked to drop right behind me on occasion which killed me the most, not the beast.

I know this is nothing new but whenever I make a gif of the shotgun blasting off limbs, I just get mesmerised :p

wolfenstein_the_old_blood_commander_shotgun_by_digi_matrix-d8sjyti.gif

wolfenstein_the_old_blood_shotgun_by_digi_matrix-d8sk04t.gif

Not sure if it works on Uber but
if you go to the upper ledge and put your back against the wall most of his attacks can't even hit you.

Thats what I did. I used the rocket gun and tried to wait until he stopped smashing to hit his mouth. Afterwards, I ran to the stairway on the left and just kept nailing him with the sniper. For the enemies that drop, I would toss hand grenades, or hit them with a knife. The possessed ones seem to distract, as everyone immediately goes for them instead.

Afterwards I hit him in the mouth like 10-15 times with the sniper until he was like "F--- this, I'm dead, bye Helga"
I know this is nothing new but whenever I make a gif of the shotgun blasting off limbs, I just get mesmerised :p

As much as I love knife/takedown kills, I cringed a little in my seat when I got this kill:

GrandUnawareDungbeetle.gif

I'd die after that hit, too.

Mdk7

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4, but i'm not feeling it that much.
And it's weird as i LOVED the original (it's surely among my favorite games of 2014, and i really really enjoyed its old school spirit).
Don't know, the shooting still feels fun, yet the experience is way more essential, with no cutscenes, less impressive moments and so on.
I hope it gets better, but i'm a bit disappointed (even considering it's a 20$ game, I KNOW... but i had high expectations after the The New Order).

Vidpixel

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4, but i'm not feeling it that much.
And it's weird as i LOVED the original (it's surely among my favorite games of 2014, and i really really enjoyed its old school spirit).
Don't know, the shooting still feels fun, yet the experience is way more essential, with no cutscenes, less impressive moments and so on.
I hope it gets better, but i'm a bit disappointed (even considering it's a 20$ game, I KNOW... but i had high expectations after the The New Order).

I literally felt the exact same as you, but I found the second half of the game to be wayyy more impressive than the first half. Things get a lot more interesting later on, both with the narrative and gameplay.

I do think The New Order is the superior experience overall, but The Old Blood is still pretty enjoyable for what it is, kinks and all.

Mdk7

I literally felt the exact same as you, but I found the second half of the game to be wayyy more impressive than the first half. Things get a lot more interesting later on, both with the narrative and gameplay.

I do think The New Order is the superior experience overall, but The Old Blood is still pretty enjoyable for what it is, kinks and all.

That's nice to hear, hopefully i will feel the same way! :)

DOWN

Banned
Just to check, am I alone in finding idTech 5 unimpressive? Wish they'd license an engine like Unreal 4.

psychotron

After loving TNO, I'm not liking this nearly as much. I'm up to chapter 4, and if they take my fucking guns away one more time, I'm going to flip, lol. It's really feeling like series of challenge rooms, and I never felt like that with TNO.

Mdk7

After loving TNO, I'm not liking this nearly as much. I'm up to chapter 4, and if they take my fucking guns away one more time, I'm going to flip, lol. It's really feeling like series of challenge rooms, and I never felt like that with TNO.

THIS.

S1kkZ

Just to check, am I alone in finding idTech 5 unimpressive? Wish they'd license an engine like Unreal 4.

i think it looks great. fantastic animations, great atmosphere, rock-solid framerate.
every ue4 engine game on consoles runs like shit so far (sub 30 fps), so i am very happy there are using id5. the textures could be more impressive, but aside from that: i think it looks really good.

and i agree with the weapon thing: i was so pissed off when i lost all my stuff in chapter
. it also sucks that you cant use/unlock more weapons in challenge mode or use some of the later weapons when you replay the story.

still: fantastic game, aside from the annoying mid-boss in ch.4 and the shittier stealth (nwo was great, ehy fuck it up?)

i think it looks great. fantastic animations, great atmosphere, rock-solid framerate.
every ue4 engine game on consoles runs like shit so far (sub 30 fps), so i am very happy there are using id5. the textures could be more impressive, but aside from that: i think it looks really good.

and i agree with the weapon thing: i was so pissed off when i lost all my stuff in chapter
. it also sucks that you cant use/unlock more weapons in challenge mode or use some of the later weapons when you replay the story.

still: fantastic game, aside from the annoying mid-boss in ch.4 and the shittier stealth (nwo was great, ehy fuck it up?)
Nah idtech 5 is terrible. All those things you see (minus texture diversity) would be done better elsewhere with a better framerate to boot.

epmode

I really love this thing so far. I have to say that I prefer the tone of TNO, though. While the moment to moment game is great in THB, it's pretty light on story bits, and what's there is more cartoony than TNO. It makes sense considering when the game is set but I still miss the Blazkowicz from the 60s.

End Boss Uber help:

I used the rocket pistol ducking near the far pillar on the top section. Aim for its mouth and you know its a good hit if it reels back in pain. After each shot you will either have to duck to avoid an arm sweep, or strafe as best you can to avoid a fist pound. When enemies start coming, just focus on head shotting them with the silenced pistol to avoid attracting sound. The monster will help kill them off. They are the only real threat as tons spawn, so just focus on them until its clear before going back to mouth shooting.

Eventually when the grenade pistol runs dry, I just used the sawed-off to finish it off. Before its close to death it also does a few new attacks, all very easy to avoid and mostly similar. Took about half-dozen attempts for me, the soldiers liked to drop right behind me on occasion which killed me the most, not the beast.

Yeah,
the enemies that spawn are the ones who always get me
. Gonna try it with your tips soonish, thanks!

yeah...no.

Hrm..

1. the game has no real time global lighting or shadows yet runs the same if not worse than games that use completely real time lighting (that looks better).
2. It artifically is capped at 60fps (and comes from id)
3. Textures have variety but are inconsistent in quality and resolution
4. AF works only partially and increases texture aliasing when set higher.
5. Although forward rendered, MSAA is expensive and misses many edges.
6. Character shadows and shadow rendering that is there has no physical basis in reality. It just is.
7. Any dynamic object looks completely separate from its environment.
8. Turning around or moving the screen rapidly (aka with mouse moovment) causes textures to fade in. It generally looks horrible.
9. Most of the engine's render weight is spread across post-processing leaving most performance questioningly low given visual return.

-----
All these above mentioned things are done better elsewhere in almost any major AAA engine. idtech 5 was designed around last gen consoles and their set up (moderate CPU, no RAM, poor GPU strength) and scales horribly.

I didn't have issues with uber until I reached the final boss. Now I'm stuck there.
Silenced pistol for the common mooks, hide behind some cover in one of the corners and move whenever needed. There should also be enough raketten lying around for your would-be grenade launcher to take him down if you connect all of them properly.
Surprisingly easy boss once I exercised a little more patience.

Calabi

I'm really hating the beginning, its the worst sneaking section. In The Order at least the forced sneaking was a bit easier. Why right at the beginning put it where you've got to sneak past 5 instant kill hard to kill enemies. The way it's set up there's no predictable pattern as well.

I'm not going to be playing this more than once, and I completed The Order three times.

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone know if starting uber from chapter select counts towards the trophy? I really don't want to start it without perks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nah idtech 5 is terrible. All those things you see (minus texture diversity) would be done better elsewhere with a better framerate to boot.
Which is why I hope Machine Games gets to use UE4 or something for their next game. I do think this is the best looking idTech5 game, is a noticeable improvement over the New Order, and performance is perfect but there's definitely room for improvement. Really with the game had some form of AA on PS4.

Anyone know if starting uber from chapter select counts towards the trophy? I really don't want to start it without perks.
It does.

derExperte

I'm really hating the beginning, its the worst sneaking section. In The Order at least the forced sneaking was a bit easier. Why right at the beginning put it where you've got to sneak past 5 instant kill hard to kill enemies. The way it's set up there's no predictable pattern as well.

Annoying to say the least, I tried doing it via stealth but eventually gave up. If you aim for their heads while using one their big guns they can barely shoot back and die quickly (I'm playing on normal).

epmode

I was worried about the Chapter 1 stealth after reading the complaints here but I found the whole section very forgiving. Sight ranges are low, the enemies always walk the same path (loudly) and you can stealth kill most of the supersoldiers by turning off the electricity.

Anung

Un Rama
I was worried about the Chapter 1 stealth after reading the complaints here but I found the whole section very forgiving. Sight ranges are low, the enemies always walk the same path (loudly) and you can stealth kill most of the supersoldiers by turning off the electricity.

If you do activate them if you just shoot the cables they die quite easily. Just beat it on Uber and it wasn't that bad.

CHC

I don't have any hard evidence of it but I feel like the AI is better in the expansion. Stealth seems harder and I was being flanked like CRAZY in the
bath house
fight in the village. Nazis seem to have upped their maneuvering game on me....

Nifta

Neo Member

After the torture scene, you can just go into the room behind the chair and get all of your weapons back. They keep them in there for you

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On a replay it's really only the hallway with the two dogs and four Supersoldiers that's bad.

BokehKing

Banned
Up to chapter 3, have not come across any of the special boards people speak of

BTW, chapter 1 stealth was not bad at all, it made sense, I'm trying to escape, but it wasn't dumb stealth where you auto die, besides you could just run past the enemies after a certain point

CHC

FUCK this
bath house
checkpoint.... "They're in trouble, gotta find a way to get to them." The grenade spam is so fucking goddamn obnoxious, it's intolerable. If I hear one more fucking "grenatten!!!" I'm gonna puke.

Which is why I hope Machine Games gets to use UE4 or something for their next game. I do think this is the best looking idTech5 game, is a noticeable improvement over the New Order, and performance is perfect but there's definitely room for improvement. Really with the game had some form of AA on PS4.

This game's art direction on an engine that... you know.. properly shades and lights it would be amazing.

graffix13

So are the Nightmare Levels just
levels from the original Wolfenstein with your weapons from The Old Blood?

Unain

It's nice to have a stealth section that is optional for a change.
You can go in guns blazing and not have it fail automatically, because you got seen.

There's tons of notes outright talking about it even in chapter 3 and it's Wolfenstein.

I skipped most of them :eek: Perhaps I shouldn't.

First time playing a Wolfenstein game?

Nope, I played all of them. Including 3D and Spear of Destiny. For whatever reason I just had this idea in my head that New Order/this were a bit more...grounded/serious. Though, I guess I should have guessed, with the space nazis in New Order and
KSSSH! Static! What was that, kill more [all?] nazis?
. So this was a (pleasant) surprise :)

Managed to beat the last boss in Uber using the tips provided here, thanks guys'n gals!

I must say that I can't think of a single reason for reviewers giving this game quite lower scores than TNO. The combat is the same, the length of the game is pretty good for a $20 title, and the story bits were all nicely integrated and fleshed out Blazko's character even more.

Drewfonse

Le Arghhhhh

I spent two freaking hours trying to get a gold medal on the second challenge room. The requirement is 29900, and I could only pull off a 28850. Half the time not enough enemies would spawn to even get to 20000. Maybe it was a glitch. I mean, I got 32/43 kills with head shots, plus explosive kills, chained kills, and it STILL wasn't enough? Fuck that shit.

Top Bottom