• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So about that. I grabbed it all before the boss fight expecting that the boss was coming, but instead it was just that wave of regular old nazis. Now there's almost nothing left in the room except that fucker in the cellar throws a shitty 20 point health pack when I get low. Running to get it usually takes away at least 20 health anyways.

I did finally get it just now, though. Dual wielding assault rifles was the answer.

I had the same problem.
Used up all the overcharge help before the nazi waves. Had to fight that boss with 50 health only on Uber difficulty. Fortunately the bar area kind of kept me safe while I sniped his lights. When his chest opened, I just unloaded with the grenade pistol until he died which was only about 4 direct shots. Very rough, but the dog miniboss before gave me so much worse trouble...

dedhead54

I had the same problem.
Used up all the overcharge help before the nazi waves. Had to fight that boss with 50 health only on Uber difficulty. Fortunately the bar area kind of kept me safe while I sniped his lights. When his chest opened, I just unloaded with the grenade pistol until he died which was only about 4 direct shots. Very rough, but the dog miniboss before gave me so much worse trouble...

Interesting. The dog didn't give me any trouble after I died the first time when I jumped out and surprised me. I remembered that I had taken out one of the large mech soldiers with the miniguns, so when I went against the dog for my second attempt I picked that thing up and just laid in to him. He died within 3 seconds and I took 0 damage. I am playing on the normal difficulty, though (BRING IT ON! or whatever it is called).

tesqui

I thought the (late game spoilers)
Final boss monster dude
was really rad looking.
Some real campy horror vibes from it all.
The more i let the game dwell in my memory, the more I'm really happy with it's entirety. I'll be right behind whatever MachineGames cooks up next weather it be more of Wolfenstein or not.

Although I realize it's probably best to not think too hard about such things (the story connection between previous games were always incredibly loose, at best), how convoluted is the Wolfenstein canon at this point? On the surface, The Old Blood seems to be a re-imagining of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, yet it can't be, as it simultaneously references events that occurred in that game.

For as eager as Bethesda seemed to distance themselves from Raven's Wolfenstein, it's pretty much the only game that isn't contradicted by anything in The New Order/The Old Blood.

Although I realize it's probably best to not think too hard about such things (the story connection between previous games were always incredibly loose, at best), how convoluted is the Wolfenstein canon at this point? On the surface, The Old Blood seems to be a re-imagining of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, yet it can't be, as it simultaneously references events that occurred in that game.

For as eager as Bethesda seemed to distance themselves from Raven's Wolfenstein, it's pretty much the only game that isn't contradicted by anything in The New Order/The Old Blood.

I think Machine Games created an alternate timeline for the Wolfenstein franchise where the Nazis won instead of the Allies, which grants them a blank slate and a lot of creative liberties to take with the direction of the franchise. Also, I think that they thought it would be fun for the player to return to Castle Wolfenstein once again, but instead this time have it be their take on the location.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nazitwuqz.png

Sal Ami

Banned
I think Machine Games created an alternate timeline for the Wolfenstein franchise where the Nazis won instead of the Allies, which grants them a blank slate and a lot of creative liberties to take with the direction of the franchise. Also, I think that they thought it would be fun for the player to return to Castle Wolfenstein once again, but instead this time have it be their take on the location.
When you kill your first mech soldier in chapter one, BJ references him fighting these things in the X-Labs, which is from RTCW. So it is like they reimagined the first two missions of RTCW but then assume all the other things happened BEFORE those two missions.

So about that. I grabbed it all before the boss fight expecting that the boss was coming, but instead it was just that wave of regular old nazis. Now there's almost nothing left in the room except that fucker in the cellar throws a shitty 20 point health pack when I get low. Running to get it usually takes away at least 20 health anyways.

I did finally get it just now, though. Dual wielding assault rifles was the answer.

Save shotgun ammo, when he charges up (lights up the generators above his head) use the shotgun to blast off the generators and run up to him, use R stick (middle mouse button on PC) to remove his armor, you need to do it twice to each of his side then his front armor (from what I experience you need to be at the right spot to trigger it), after that he'll be exposed, just dual wield AR or shotgun to finish him.

As much as i loved TNO, i have to say, this is the Wolfenstein game ive been waiting for since RTCW. Spooky old Castles, Dungeons, The Occult, it's the closest ill ever get to a genuine RTCW HD remake. But with Machinegames spin on it its even better. Absolutely loving it so far and im only on chapter 3

edit

Can i also just say from a tech standpoint, that i think idTech5's failure is a crying shame. Some of the scenes in this, and in TNO, look absolutely beautiful, until you get too close to the sun and see those horrible low res textures and the absurd pop in. Its a horrible combination of feeling like "oh wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous *walk forward 2 steps* oh my god those textures are garbage". If megatexture had actually you know, delivered on the texturing end on things, idTech5 wouldve been a great engine.

Weird. Challenge room 9 didn't unlock for me even though I completed the game. The one after it did though.

Same for me, i wonder if it has to do with the nightmare levels, that you may have to clear all of those to get one?

You unlock
Challenge room 9 for saving Annette and Challenge room 8 for saving Kessler. You can only save one at the time. To save the other one you need to replay the chapter.

S1kkZ

the stealth seems kind of broken, the guards seem to spot you too quickly.

yeah, something is off compared to the new order.

here, sometimes guards spot you a mile away, even when you are behind cover. stealth in new order worked so much better.

As much as i loved TNO, i have to say, this is the Wolfenstein game ive been waiting for since RTCW. Spooky old Castles, Dungeons, The Occult, it's the closest ill ever get to a genuine RTCW HD remake. But with Machinegames spin on it its even better. Absolutely loving it so far and im only on chapter 3

edit

Can i also just say from a tech standpoint, that i think idTech5's failure is a crying shame. Some of the scenes in this, and in TNO, look absolutely beautiful, until you get too close to the sun and see those horrible low res textures and the absurd pop in. Its a horrible combination of feeling like "oh wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous *walk forward 2 steps* oh my god those textures are garbage". If megatexture had actually you know, delivered on the texturing end on things, idTech5 wouldve been a great engine.
The texture diversity is nice (fantastic even), but every single other thing is legitimately horrible.

For all the lighting information that is baked into the environment (which is supposed to save on performance!) the game runs like it is running a VXGI instance or something.

DOWN

Banned
I played Chapters 1 and 2. I thought 1 was okay thanks to some neat atmosphere, but 2 was awful. That said, no regrets because the art and majestic Nazi empire are really something.

Belgo Ray

Has anybody else had problems with the XBO version? Game froze earlier today in chapter 8. After quiting and restarting, the game freezes every single time at the photosensitivity warning screen. Tried deleting and reinstaling, didn't change anything :(

[edit] nevermind, console hard reset helped.

tesqui

Wow this challenge mode is actually pretty cool! I like the addition of score points flying off the enemies pertaining to where you shoot them.

PeteMc

Neo Member
Finished this last night. Play through clocked in at 8hrs (according to my XB1). Highly recommenced if anybody here is sitting on the fence. Now for the mop up for the 1k.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Greatly enjoying the second half, chapter 4 has definitely been the biggest sticking point for an Uber run with its two irritating boss fights, but the next few chapters were smooth sailing. Hopefully the final boss won't be equally as much a pain.

Can also confirm that finding all Old SIlver in a Nightmare level will unlock a new character profile(don't think there are achievements attached to doing so though). Annoying since there is no count to let you know how many are to be found, and lots are usually hidden behind secret walls. Felt like total luck when I happened to find all 44 in chapter 5, which you will only ever know that count when completed.

End of chapter 4 is pissing me off. I haven't even got to the end guy or whatever people have mentioned.

you have to escape the cave, with one captain guy who can radio in. I've tried at least 10 times to shoot just the first three guys without getting spotted and every time they sound the alarm. I've silent as all hell too. When I decided to say fuck it and shoot my way through it takes another 3 or 4 times to get to the top of the cave and a big dude comes around the corner with a mini gun. Unlike earlier in the game this guy won't just let me rip off his chest and instead just keeps smacking me away. I die, start all the way back at the bottom.

So frustrating.

Hollow

Wish I had $20 to get this.

Looks like old school shooter fun and I've been dying for some old school shooter fun.

I missed out on TNO as well.
:(

Newboi

The pacing and variety of the combat is really apparent in The Old Blood. It's definitely a more refined experience than The New Order.

I definitely look forward to seeing what Machine Games can do when they aren't limited by Id Tech 5.

Hey guys. Don't start a new game after beating it. Just replay the chapters on a diff difficulty. I made that mistake of clicking new game and it deleted all my perks (SO MUCH RAGE).

The funny thing is I did not do this in TNO. I have no idea how I made this mistake here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey guys. Don't start a new game after beating it. Just replay the chapters on a diff difficulty. I made that mistake of clicking new game and it deleted all my perks (SO MUCH RAGE).

The funny thing is I did not do this in TNO. I have no idea how I made this mistake here.
I almost did this but then I saw the warning and remembered how it worked in TNO.

Can also confirm that finding all Old SIlver in a Nightmare level will unlock a new character profile(don't think there are achievements attached to doing so though). Annoying since there is no count to let you know how many are to be found, and lots are usually hidden behind secret walls. Felt like total luck when I happened to find all 44 in chapter 5, which you will only ever know that count when completed.

The silver pickups don't respawn when you replay a nightmare, at least. Still, it would be nice if there was, say, an option to jump directly into the nightmares from the menu, rather than having to play a chapter over.

slowpantz

Neo Member
Just finish the game. Reallt enjoyed it! The second half was so good, I love this rendition of the character B.J. he makes me laugh, smile, cry, and cringe all in one game. Cannot wait to see what Machine Games does next.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm usually very wary of games with post release review embargoes but I have to say this thread has been far more pleasant because of it. No rampant predicting of metascores, no one writing responses directly to review quotes ("REVIEWERS GOT IT WRONG"), and no one downplaying praise of a game they haven't played by referencing reviews. I must say it's refreshing. I know I've done all of those things in the past but it feels freeing to be in an OT without them.

End of chapter 4 is pissing me off. I haven't even got to the end guy or whatever people have mentioned.

you have to escape the cave, with one captain guy who can radio in. I've tried at least 10 times to shoot just the first three guys without getting spotted and every time they sound the alarm. I've silent as all hell too. When I decided to say fuck it and shoot my way through it takes another 3 or 4 times to get to the top of the cave and a big dude comes around the corner with a mini gun. Unlike earlier in the game this guy won't just let me rip off his chest and instead just keeps smacking me away. I die, start all the way back at the bottom.

So frustrating.

When you start at the bottom of the ramps, work your way to the right as you should be, when you approach the 2nd level, shoot the guy on the far side when he is INSIDE the cave (DO NOT SHOOT HIM WHEN YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM!), or the shotgun guy on the higher level will spot it, then watch for the shotgun guy's pattern, when he turns his back on you, shoot the one regular soldier on the top of the ramp by the machinegun, then move forward (NOT UP!) into the cave, wait till the shotgun guy turns around, then directly sneak past him, the commander should be right around the corner.

I almost did this but then I saw the warning and remembered how it worked in TNO.

Only if :(
I'm usually very wary of games with post release review embargoes but I have to say this thread has been far more pleasant because of it. No rampant predicting of metascores, no one writing responses directly to review quotes ("REVIEWERS GOT IT WRONG"), and no one downplaying praise of a game they haven't played by referencing reviews. I must say it's refreshing. I know I've done all of those things in the past but it feels freeing to be in an OT without them.

Yeah, it definitely is nice.

When you start at the bottom of the ramps, work your way to the right as you should be, when you approach the 2nd level, shoot the guy on the far side when he is INSIDE the cave (DO NOT SHOOT HIM WHEN YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM!), or the shotgun guy on the higher level will spot it, then watch for the shotgun guy's pattern, when he turns his back on you, shoot the one regular soldier on the top of the ramp by the machinegun, then move forward (NOT UP!) into the cave, wait till the shotgun guy turns around, then directly sneak past him, the commander should be right around the corner.

Alright I'll try that when I finish work. However even shooting the guy on the right as I first start often leads to an alarm. Not sure why.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just spent about 40 minutes sprinting along walls to find all of the Old Silver in the Chapter 2 Nightmare and died on the last enemy :(

Vidpixel

Mid-way through Ch. 4 right now, and I have to say... I'm still not really feeling this. Again, maybe this will change as I get further along, but what drew me into The New Order was the variety of colorful characters and the quirky story beats, which this seems to be lacking minus a few funny one-liners here and there.

I mean, the gameplay is still fun, but a majority of this DLC, so far at least, is just a compilation of various shooting galleries that you have the option to stealth your way through, with little variation at this point. I'm withholding complete judgement until I actually finish it, but it's not really impressing me at this point.

Anung

Un Rama
I just spent about 40 minutes sprinting along walls to find all of the Old Silver in the Chapter 2 Nightmare and died on the last enemy :(

Anybody know what it does?

Also is there a NG+ in this? I want to do uber but bugger starting it without the perks.

Yup agreed. There were certainly some assumptions of quality given the quality of TNO, but it was fairly tempered expectations. Nothing crazy or vitriolic in here. Better yet, we seem to have been able to have some well-thought out legitimate criticisms of the game without people on a hype-training throwing them out of the thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Also is there a NG+ in this? I want to do uber but bugger starting it without the perks.
Unlocks a character model when you find all of them for a stage.

Yup agreed. There were certainly some assumptions of quality given the quality of TNO, but it was fairly tempered expectations. Nothing crazy or vitriolic in here. Better yet, we seem to have been able to have some well-thought out legitimate criticisms of the game without people on a hype-training throwing them out of the thread.
This thread has mostly been those that were like minded on TNO so I'm not too surprised that it's been so civil.

Finding all the old silver in a nightmare unlocks a bonus character trophy for that chapter.

So, nothing important, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna find it all anyway. I swear, for a completionist, putting pointless collectibles in a game is like giving an addict a gram of heroin.

It took a day to download, and I started it last night. I think I'm near the end of Chapter 2 on uber.

Honestly, it's okay in my eyes, but far from great. Uber is so poorly designed around the game's mechanics as it was in TNO. Enemies are overpowered, it's cheap and there's little room to hide (especially on the boat). I'm tempted to drop it down, but don't really want to.

The prologue was a cheap pain in the ass, and the first section was shitty too. Chapter 2 has been pretty crappy, too.

I didn't realize I could take out the mech guards, so I stealthily avoided them.

Top Bottom