• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

npa189

I don't think we've seen this much love for a two handed metal tool since the crowbar!

Its a little too stealthy for my tastes so far, I'll dig in tomorrow, but more wolf is more wolf.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Imma gonna be honest.

First chapter is underwhelming and I'm not finding the stealth nor combat encounters very fun at all.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yep, the Chapter 1 stealth shit is not fun. Weird that they started the game like that, aside from the short prologue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thats too bad, does if feel like a quick put-together-money-grab?

Eh, not really, but Chapter 1 doesn't come close to New Order's quality. It's just really dull, due to heavily emphasising stealth for weirdly too long and the climatic encounter is very monster closety.

I also don't think it looks anywhere near as good as New Order. The colour palette for Chapter 1 is very muted and the lighting is doing it no favours. There's no interesting visual theme or points of interest to guide your eye. A weird sense of emptiness and not in an atmospheric way. Which is odd, as the prologue intro level looked nice.

El_Chino

Eh, not really, but Chapter 1 doesn't come close to New Order's quality. It's just really dull, due to heavily emphasising stealth for weirdly too long and the climatic encounter is very monster closety.

I also don't think it looks anywhere near as good as New Order. The colour palette for Chapter 1 is very muted and the lighting is doing it no favours. There's no interesting visual theme or points of interest to guide your eye. A weird sense of emptiness and not in an atmospheric way. Which is odd, as the prologue intro level looked nice.
Really? I thought there we some slight improvements on that front seeing how it's exclusively current gen now but I guess it could just be my eyes and me not playing TNO for a while now,

Not totally sold on the gameplay yet but the new guns are pretty great. Bombenschuss is rad

The stealth isn't as satisfying (with the "puzzles" just being dumb) and some of the waves of enemies are just annoying....bleh. I'm only on chapter 2 so I'm sure (just like TNO) the game will find its stride but yeah.

TripOpt55

Yeah I played the prologue and first chapter and it is a bit too stealth heavy to start. Still solid, but a little surprised at how they handled Chapter 1.

Really? I thought there we some slight improvements on that front seeing how it's exclusively current gen now but I guess it could just be my eyes and me not playing TNO for a while now,

Graphically it is better, it is just the colour scheme on the opening chapter and environmental art (in the sneak parts) isn't exactly ultra-flavourful.

statham

okay, thanks. I wait a few more days before deciding for more feedback.

El_Chino

Graphically it is better, it is just the colour scheme on the opening chapter and environmental art (in the sneak parts) isn't exactly ultra-flavourful.

That's true I guess, but like The New Order I'm sure it'll find it's stride in the middle of the campaign.

tesqui

Well, just got through the prologue and I'm intrigued. It's definitely of the same quality as TNO. Tired for now, but tomorrow I shall complete it!

Playing through this is a bummer given how we know it all turns out. Hopefully there's an extra Inglorious Bastards style ending :p

DOWN

Banned
OP, they already said it will be 60fps so you can just change that answer to:

Yes, it will run at 60fps on all platforms.

Pastry

Banned
Almost done with the second chapter. It starts picking up once you get through the first and all of that dumb stealth. Calling it a night for now.

Vitor711

Yep, the Chapter 1 stealth shit is not fun. Weird that they started the game like that, aside from the short prologue.

It's a bad way to start the game - the stealth is generic as hell and dull. The enemies you're evading also feel like complete idiots. Poor start.

Gunplay is still great but there's not enough of it so far.

At least Machine Games are still knocking it out of the park with the shlocky writing. Entertaining stuff. Although, calling the guy with the dog 'Jager' (German for hunter) is a bit too corny, even for me.

TJP

For PC players - don't forget the old trick from The New Order of adding a folder to the \Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\MachineGames\ directory by creating a folder named 'Wolfenstein The Old Blood'.

By doing the above, two files will be written once The Old Blood is started:

FileCache000.bin
FileCacheHeader.bin

This will enable the game to cache file data and hopefully smooth out any frame rate and pop-in issues.

Just got to chapter 3. Chapter 2 gets better as it progresses and this already looks like exactly what I want from this game. I'm optimistic as a whole it'll be great but yeah I wasn't feeling the first chapter and a half at all.

Also, were there exploding red barrels in TNO? I don't remember them but seems like they're all over the place here

Gonna call it a night so I can come back fresh but yeah, excited to see where this all goes. Art direction is gorgeous, I think I prefer it here to TNO's.

DOWN

Banned
Crap. I thought I'd gotten this pre-ordered on PSN but I guess it didn't finish the transaction or something because it is showing as unpurchased. RIP $2.

Crap. I thought I'd gotten this pre-ordered on PSN but I guess it didn't finish the transaction or something because it is showing as unpurchased. RIP $2.

Same, I bought resident evil instead. Now I will wait for this to hit low price since I brought the original for $15.

Also, is Mr. Magnificent cunt present in this one ?

Tansut

I got to Chapter 2 and decided to call it for tonight. I would've been okay with all the stealth of the first chapter but it got repetitive towards the end. Really enjoying the pipe though, that's a neat default melee weapon to have. Certainly enjoying it overall, but that wasn't a rousing start.

I guess the next thing I wanna mention is maybe a spoiler? It's in the trophy list but just in case...

I love love LOVE that each chapter will have their own retro nightmare level and that the last one will be a boss fight. I'm hoping it's the Robo Hitler one.

So now we know why no review copies were sent out :(
Slow start = bad game :(

TNO didn't pick up until like chapter 4 or 5 (depending on your tastes). I'm sure once the game goes into full on "alright, fuck em up" mode it'll be good. Chapter 1 is basically all stealth/introducing mechanics and chapter 2 is introducing weapons and still teaching a few mechanics from the base game. Can't comment on chapter 3 yet but with the base stuff out of the way I expect it to pick up hard

Oh man this fucking game, takes everything I love and makes it better.

Also, playing the PC version and it's fantastic which doesn't surprise me since Wolfenstein:TNO ran fine on my old system outside of some strange hiccups here and there which were fixed with a patch later.

Graphics are amazing, the art direction is absolutely insane.

Minor opening spoilers:

I love the Indiana Jones reference when you get to Chapter I: Prison of Part I: Rudi Jager and the Den of Wolves when you listen to the two soldiers. I also love the idea of breaking things into parts with chapters, gives it a very Wolf3D vibe.

The hints towards Occult shit and whatnot are strong with this one, can't wait to see how the plot develops it but it's really interesting.

If you look through the bookshelf in the prologue you can find a book where BJ says "I found Karl" and Agent One goes "Who?"
The opening was fantastic overall, I just can't believe how amazing this is but then again I didn't really have much doubt. I also loved the bit as you are walking through the entrance with Agent One, and you hear this Uncle reprimanding his nephew, amazing little character touch that is also wonderfully realistic.

For $20 bucks this is amazing so far.

BJ's dialogue is amazing.

Also, DAT DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN DAMN. Feels so much more powerful this time around.

I want Machinehead Games to reboot every single classic shooter, give me Lovecraftian Quake, proper Duke Nukem, and DOOM 5. I WANT IT ALL.

The lack of options and sense of funneling you down a corridor really hurt the stealth stuff in the first chapter. It's a rough start but here's to hoping it finds a groove going forward.

EatChildren

Tail end of Chapter 2 then straight into Chapter 3 really pick up and feel better.

Spoo

Tail end of Chapter 2 then straight into Chapter 3 really pick up and feel better.

This.

First level is just complete garbage guys. After that, things get really fun and exciting -- fast! I don't know why the hell they decided to open with a boring/cheap stealth section, but keep playing fellas -- you won't regret it.

DocSeuss

They handle nightmares in this pretty cool. Lot better than the first game. Having a lot of fun once I got past that stealth section.

thats too bad, does if feel like a quick put-together-money-grab?

First chapter is repetitive stealth.

Then it gets good.

Just gotta wait for that rocket pistol, yo.

Seriously, Chapter 2's where they give you the cool guns, rather than the boring machine gun/pistol.

Chapter 1 was pretty dull, though the game seemingly picks up, so I'm not complaining.

That first nightmare level was complete and utter shit though, just went on forever. Can't believe they wasted development resources on this crap. The one in TNO wasn't so bad, it was short, and a nice novelty, plus you could even grind out some of the perk requirements in them, you can't even do that in TOB. There's seemingly one in every chapter as well. So dumb.

gloriousd

Neo Member
I don't know if its a good place to ask, but do you guys know if there any graphical/performance differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game?

I have some credit on my MS account so I'm thinking on buying this on X1... should I?

OP, they already said it will be 60fps so you can just change that answer to:

Yes, it will run at 60fps on all platforms.
The only reason I didn't take them at their word was I wanted to see a Digital Foundy (or similar) piece just to clarify in case it wasn't a smooth 60fps like with TNO.

I don't know if its a good place to ask, but do you guys know if there any graphical/performance differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game?

I have some credit on my MS account so I'm thinking on buying this on X1... should I?

Probably only resolution difference. It should be fine on either platform.

Top Bottom