• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

I was hoping to get review code, but found out here that it didn't go out. That's okay. I'll likely pick it up sometime today.

It'll take about 17 hours to download, though, which I'm not looking forward to.

TNO is quite honestly one of my favorite shooter campaigns of all time so I don't think I'll be able to hold off on picking this up today. I hope this can live up to my lofty expectations!

Long weekend finally caught up with me and I passed out before unlock. How is remote play? Should I even give it a shot, or just wait for post work?

Jito

Banned
Don't understand the hate for the first chapter, it's clearly akin to
starting out in the prison in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

It's not even forced stealth, kill the first enemy and you've got a freaking minigun.

Pumped for this, woohoo. Will be playing tonight :)

Also, if you haven't played The New Order this is a perfect time to revisit it. One of my favorite games from last year, highly recommended!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
First chapter sucked but the second chapter was great. New weapons have a lot of punch and the game got a noticeable visual upgrade from TNO. Character models, lighting, and textures are much better and load times are way faster with fewer load screens.

I LOL'd at the (chapter 2)
literal grammar Nazi

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How long did it take you? And were you rushing or?

Hours?

How about the level design? Same as TNO?

6 hours according to Steam, playing mostly action focused. Missed a lot of collectables but I wasn't rushing by any means; I like to take my time and soak in the atmosphere. Played on I AM DEATH INCARNATE until the final boss, then I dropped the difficulty because the fights was total shit and I didn't give a fuck about it.

Good game. Chapter 1 is weak in my opinion, same goes for the first half of Chapter 2. Weirdly paced first chapter gave me a sour impression, but the tail end of Chapter 2 onwards has you armed to the teeth and going back to New Order style play.

Overall seemed a bit more on the difficult side. Harder to cheese headshots with the pistol making stealth a little more challenging. Possibly bigger stretches of levels with active commanders instead of the smaller areas of New Order. Excellent location variety, tail end of the game in particular is cool. Overall though it's mostly the same as New Order.

Exception I'd give to that (first chapter aside) are the monster closet encounters. New Order had them and didn't bother me, but here it's really fucking transparent which parts of the level are reused in the challenge mode. Not just because it tells you that stage is unlocked afterwards, but you can just tell, as you end up fighting a fuckton of enemy waves coming out of every direction and kinda think "yep, bet this is the challenge map integrated into single player" *ding, unlocked* "yeeeep". They're not bad because New Order's combat systems are fun as they are, but they're not fantastic either. New Order handled similar encounters better.

Story is serviceable. Very stand alone. Good BJ monologues. Didn't like the nightmare levels, mostly because I don't want to play eight stages of Wolfenstein with New Order's mechanics. The gimmick was fun in New Order and this is just bleh, whatever. I can see how someone might like them but they're not for me and I won't bother going back to do them all.

So yeah, overall a lot of fun. I feel New Order was a much tighter, well rounded arc even considering the length difference. Old Blood falters more. But at the same time retains much of what makes New Order great and thus is worth playing if you're a fan, especially if you miss WW2/Occult Wolf.

It's not even forced stealth, kill the first enemy and you've got a freaking minigun.

No idea what difficulty you're playing on, but at "I Am Death Incarnate," the first chapter is a essentially a forced stealth section, given the amount of damage enemies can do to you, the amount of damage they can absorb, and how limited your offensive options are.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I feel the same

Ok...glad I'm not alone....just needed some back up before posting my opinion...lol.
And you can keep using a minigun all the way to the boat section. You cant carry it thru the doors but usually there is another guy with a minigun

I mean to me.....the story plays a certain way... thats why stealth is there at the beginning.....
after prologue you are in a jail cell, you get pipes and thats all you have until encounter with first enemy...which is right after you climb out of cell

Seems to me ppl are choosing stealth. Its totally optional. IMO.

No idea what difficulty you're playing on, but at "I Am Death Incarnate," the first chapter is a essentially a forced stealth section, given the amount of damage enemies can do to you, the amount of damage they can absorb, and how limited your offensive options are.

Well there is that

Jito

Banned

I'm playing on the same difficulty and stealthed through a few sections and just gunned down some of them later on.

Either way, I still found it enjoyable as I liked the stealth in Wolfenstein TNO.

The end of Chapter 1 and what I've played of Chapter 2 is full of plenty of shootouts anyway :)

BJ busting out his awesome dialogue as well... "That's a big fucking dog".

Ricker

Yeah,going through it now(PS4) and it's not as bad as I thought considering the comments here hehe...there is a small gunfight at the start and the stealth isn't bad at all so far(playing on normal though)...its looks just like TNO,which is great...small complaint is some area's could be a little cleaner(still has some aliasing).

zorbsie

Forgot how hard uber is without any perks. Might have been a mistake to start off on hardest difficulty.
I regret nothing.

dedhead54

This is the first time I ever pre-ordered/pre-loaded a game on PSN. Pretty awesome to see it was available to play at 12:03am last night, but I wasn't able to fire it up. Time to shred some nazis!

Well I spent an hour and a half on the first chapter alone, just taking my time reading everything, exploring every where and being relatively stealthy. Didn't really mind chapter 1 but I'm also playing on normal. So glad this exists.

Forgot how hard uber is without any perks. Might have been a mistake to start off on hardest difficulty.
I regret nothing.

I'm only going to play through it once, so I'm considering starting on uber again. I did with TNO, but got frustrated at one chokepoint and switched it to hard. However, the game never felt much easier after that, and the last boss was still a bitch.

The game gave me credit for uber, so I question whether it actually changed, or if it just glitched.

Fury451

Banned
TNO is quite honestly one of my favorite shooter campaigns of all time so I don't think I'll be able to hold off on picking this up today. I hope this can live up to my lofty expectations!

It is a downloadable title, so...expectations in check.

But it's fantastic from the hour or so I've played. Well worth the price if the quality stays the same all the way through.

Played 2 challenge rooms also- I like the idea, but they feel like they're over really quickly. But chasing those higher scores is good, and it really allows you to focus on the gunplay, so they are a highly welcome addition.

Xater

6 hours according to Steam, playing mostly action focused. Missed a lot of collectables but I wasn't rushing by any means; I like to take my time and soak in the atmosphere. Played on I AM DEATH INCARNATE until the final boss, then I dropped the difficulty because the fights was total shit and I didn't give a fuck about it.

I am playing on the same difficulty level but do a lot of stealth, so I am already at 4 hours while only being half-way through. Looks like my playthrough will be slightly longer than. Still even at 6 hours I think this is really good package.

CyberChulo

Just shoot the cable off their head. Done in about 5 seconds.

jroc74

This is the first time I ever pre-ordered/pre-loaded a game on PSN. Pretty awesome to see it was available to play at 12:03am last night, but I wasn't able to fire it up. Time to shred some nazis!

Same here...first time I've ever done this. Mine was ready at exactly 12:00....even gave a notice saying its read to play....thought that was nice. I listened to my PS4 and played it...lol. I forced myself to stop playing after chapter 1, was getting late.

I pre ordered around 5-6 pm so by the time 12:00 got there I was almost finished downloading the entire thing. The 6GB part had already been downloaded. I might do this again....for games around the same price.

So far this seems so much worth it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does this expansion have the same god-awful sound mixing issues that the original game had on the PS4?

Roussow

Looking back at TNO, my favorite aspects of the game are the writing & characterization, as well as the tone and atmosphere. Not a knock on the gameplay -- it was superb! It's just these aspects really hit home with me.

How are they in TOB?

My only problem with the sound is how weedy the guns sound.

yep I was hoping they fixed this. As awesome as the gunplay is the sounds of the guns are not bombastic at all. I honestly thought something was wrong and spent hours trying to figure out why the assault rifle has no boom to it. my sub-woofer never fires when the guns shoot but works fine when the game plays music. I hope they find a new sound engineer of figure out whats messed up for the next game they release.

Karak

On PC, at least for me I am enjoying them, and on a flat eq setting they are hitting 3.4 to 4.5 on the lowest meter. Far better than the last game at least. Though the sound of that damn silenced handgun kills me.

I know this isn't the answer, but playing the game with headphones, turned up loud pretty much fixes all the issues lol.
No seriously, the mix sounds a lot more balanced this way (using Sony Golds) and it's how I played the majority of TNO.

Pretty shitty tho that obviously something fundamental is wrong that they can't address seemingly.

Bah, looks like Gameseek carried out one of their sneaky shenanigans and changed the release date to the 15th.

Dick move, bros.

Ah well, guess I'll double dip. No issues with the PS4 version right?

jroc74

Just shoot the cable off their head. Done in about 5 seconds.

Interesting...thanks.
Even with them they dont seem to or cant follow you behind turbines because of the cable. (depending on how the cable is wired) So it ...shouldnt...be that hard to kill them. You just have to disable/takedown at least one to get the minigun.

I am playing on the same difficulty level but do a lot of stealth, so I am already at 4 hours while only being half-way through. Looks like my playthrough will be slightly longer than. Still even at 6 hours I think this is really good package.

My playthrough will be longer too
seeing as if you kill the commanders that give off the radio signals stops back up from coming....supposedly... Been trying to do that with stealth. I havent been able to do it without getting caught yet...lol. I always get the first one, never the 2nd one in time

Bah, looks like Gameseek carried out one of their sneaky shenanigans and changed the release date to the 15th.

Dick move, bros.

Ah well, guess I'll double dip. No issues with the PS4 version right?

Just the sound mix but that's all versions

Also, is it just me or did they remove the Depth of Field effect that was present in The PS4 version of New Order?

Just noticed this released on EU PSN today (usually happens on a Wednesday). Bought without hesitation...

Is the 36gb download size a mistake? Wasn't TNO smaller than that?

Top Bottom