• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

JoeFenix

Seems like people are really down on the first chapter, how long is it?

First chapter was a bit of a misfire in terms of pacing, took me around 45 minutes on Uber. After that the game gets good and stays good, lots of fun encounters without too much fluff to get in the way.

Quality stuff and certainly worth the price of admission!

DOWN

Banned
The only reason I didn't take them at their word was I wanted to see a Digital Foundy (or similar) piece just to clarify in case it wasn't a smooth 60fps like with TNO.
It would make more sense to communicate what they've stated and just clarify if it's unlocked 60fps vs locked, later on if they were incorrect.

Just say: Yes, according to the creators, it will run at 60fps on all platforms.

Then you're off the hook since it came from them and it doesn't leave what looks like an assumption coming from a gap in information.

The 1st Chapter is odd. It's not that you can't do a slow build stealth section at the beginning of a game, but the style of stealth you're dropped into in The Old Blood feels like a mid game pacing section thrown in at the start. Thankfully that area doesn't take long and the game settles into some dark, old Starbreeze feeling territory before ramping up rather quickly into balls out Wolfenstein: The New Order action. I'm at the beginning of Chapter 4 with about 5 hours played, and though you can definitely feel the how the narrative/characters play a smaller role in comparison to what The New Order was already doing by Chapter 4, there's a slightly better sense of forward progression in The Old Blood due to less jumping around between chapters. Not gonna lie though, I miss the 60s crew.

Don't let the slow first hour get you down, it picks up in a hurry.

OldBlood5.gif

OldBlood4.gif

OldBlood3.gif

OldBlood2.gif

OldBlood1.gif

danowat

Banned
Damn, I'm not keen on stealth in shooters, let alone bad stealth.

Might have to give this a miss, which is a shame as I loved TNO.

The 1st Chapter is odd. It's not that you can't do a slow build stealth section at the beginning of a game, but the style of stealth you're dropped into in The Old Blood feels like a mid game pacing section thrown in at the start. Thankfully that area doesn't take long and the game settles into some dark, old Starbreeze feeling territory before ramping up rather quickly into balls out Wolfenstein: The Order action. I'm at the beginning of Chapter 4 with about 5 hours played, and though you can definitely feel the how the narrative/characters play a smaller role in comparison to what The New Order was already doing by Chapter 4, there's a slightly better sense of forward progress in The Old Blood due to less jumping around between chapters. Not gonna lie though, I miss the 60s crew.

Don't let the slow first hour get you down, it picks up in a hurry.

I was furiously awaiting your thoughts :3

Should hopefully be able to play tomorrow night. Waiting on a replacement dual shock to arrive :l

How long is the first chapter?, is it simple enough to just blast through?, are there any instafail parts in the stealth?

There's no insta-fail stealth, it's just a number of rooms against a particular enemy that you have to handle in a very specific way until you get your hands on their gun. There are maybe 6 or 7 rooms separated like a puzzle stealth game. Takes 10-15 minutes at the most. After that it's still a bit slow going, but it's nothing out of the ordinary if you've played The New Order. I wouldn't even have an issue with if it was Chapter 4 or 5. Just a strange way to start.

I forgot to mention the pipe btw. Love it. The melee kills, the climbing mechanic, opening and propping doors with it- all feels great.

danowat

Banned
There's no insta-fail stealth, it's just a number of rooms against particular enemy that you have to handle in a very specific way until you get your hands on their gun. There are maybe 6 or 7 rooms separated like a puzzle stealth game. Takes 10-15 minutes at the most. After that it's still a bit slow going, but it's nothing out of the ordinary if you've played The New Order. I wouldn't even have an issue with if it was Chapter 4 or 5. Just a strange way to start.

I forgot to mention the pipe btw. Love it. The melee kills, the climbing mechanic, opening and propping doors with it- all feels great.

thanks for that, I'll give it a go on the strength of that!

DOWN

Banned
i thought TNO started slow as well so im not surprised this will too. Looking forward to getting it.
TNO got flack on here for its first level being low quality to many people compared to a stellar campaign overall. I guess they didn't learn from it in the way people had hoped, but the spirit lives on past chapter 1.

seph1roth

2 acts, 8 chapters. I'm at the beginning of Ch. 4 after 5 hours. Well worth the money so far.

THE F**** wow...15€ for 8-9 hours of gameplay.

That's awesome then.

What about the gameplay, it seems like the first chapter is very bad but later the game improves, is that true?

Another one, how about the level design, similar to the linear style of TNO or is more early 90s style?

Well it seems like it's not short and is pretty good after Chapter 1 so fuck it I guess I'll buy it even though there's no reviews yet. I really liked TNO so I'm sure I'll like this too.

Game is great-but I have only played an hour of it before I left for work.

Level design seems more open

Writing is superb

Music is great- and they seem to have fixed the mix problems (or it could be because I stepped up my headphone game)

I was planning on cracking into this after work but now that the girlfriend's coming over, it seems it's back on the docket.

It sounds like it's meatier than I thought so maybe blowing through it in one sitting isn't really viable? Regardless, I'll probably boot it up at 1 am and blow through it all, I'd just like to know the rough length from someone who's already completed it if possible.

Anyone else having a weird issue where vsync won't stay on no matter what you do? Gsync doesn't work because it's an idtech 5 game but turning on any vsync option only works for a few seconds if at all because as soon as you go back in the menu it's off again.

Hoje0308

Banned
So glad I played through most of the first chapter last night. I was tired but figured the beginning would be slow and thought it best to slog through while lucidity was at a minimum. Excited to get home and blast the limbs off Nazi scum.

Odah

Banned
There is yet another Fallout related eater egg in the new Wolfenstein DLC.

Might be a hint on a possible F4 reveal at E3?

ae8cbe02b2.jpg

I'm still on the first chapter, and while I'm sure the later sections are great... opening your shooter with a stealth-based section is kind of a misfire.

There is yet another Fallout related eater egg in the new Wolfenstein DLC.

Might be a hint on a possible F4 reveal at E3?

I think you're looking a bit too deeply into it. It's probably just a good-natured easter egg since Machinegames is owned by Bethesda. There's a Skyrim reference as well.

Xater

I am at the half way point and I gotta say I think I enjoy this more than the original game. Mostly because of two things that bothered me with the first game that seem to be remedied. There are less heavy armored dudes and this game is closer to their vision of making a classic FPS. Less set piece moments and taking away control from the player.

Stormus

That's the minimum you need to play it. You'll have to download the other 30GB

I don't get this. I did the pre-load, also went and tried to force download in my 'Library' yesterday -- nothing was there to select. I woke up this morning and jumped on to see if there was anything else I needed to starting downloading before I went to work; there wasn't. I launched the game and it seemed to work. However, I am nearly certain I only downloaded the ~6 GB patch. Hmmm...

Carl

I don't get this. I did the pre-load, also went and tried to force download in my 'Library' yesterday -- nothing was there to select. I woke up this morning and jumped on to see if there was anything else I needed to starting downloading before I went to work; there wasn't. I launched the game and it seemed to work. However, I am nearly certain I only downloaded the ~6 GB patch. Hmmm...

It just does it automatically.

DirtyLarry

Once you get that initial 6.333, it downloads the rest in the background.
On the PS4 you just have to have the game tile active, press the Options button, choose Information, and you will see it is either still downloading or as finished downloading under the line Download Status.
Weird way to do it perhaps, but it will keep downloading in the background until it is finished.

Drewfonse

i just looked at the achievement list, and it lists challenge maps. Has anyone tried these? Are they fun?

it also looks like there are 50 cheevos, each worth 20 points, which seems kind of odd. Can't wait to play it later!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished.

Good stuff.

Top Bottom