• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Anti-Doping Agency recommends suspending Russia from athletics competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmuppers

140327-putin-hands-shrug.jpg

It's really how far doping goes. Tennis, Football seem to have gotten away with it so far and I think they probably aren't too clean.

I don't really think football is the type of game that would benefit hugely from doping. Assuming you mean soccer, at least.

This is so far gone that is just doesn't matter any more.

The US has always been the leaders in this field and pretty much every single country involved in athletics is doping today (hello Jamaica).
This is why I believe this is politically motivated. To single out Russia, right now, and be this extreme - calling for them to be banned at the 2016 games - is a bit too theatrical not to be.

Not to mention how so many nations are implicated in doping - ESPECIALLY the US, where several prominent athletes have been striped of medals. And let's not even get started on baseball in the 90's.

And all this is based on a documentary... with no solid evidence. Hmmm...

I don't doubt there's rampant doping going on in Russian athletics. Russia and the United States have long held the top spots in terms of doping. But to single out the Russians, give blanket bans based on no evidence, and ignore all other instances of doping that goes on in athletics worldwide, and the presentation of no evidence leads me to believe that this is just politically motivated, Cold War 2.0 nonsense.
Of course.

Politically motivated
Western plot
Russophobic

Etc etc
Yup. Exactly that. My mind can be changed after evidence is presented. Until then...

EDIT: And for the record, MLB was much better when folks were doping. I say let it be. At least it'll be fun to watch.

This is why I believe this is politically motivated. To single out Russia, right now, and be this extreme - calling for them to be banned at the 2016 games - is a bit too theatrical not to be.

Not to mention how so many nations are implicated in doping - ESPECIALLY the US, where several prominent athletes have been striped of medals. And let's not even get started on baseball in the 90's.

And all this is based on a documentary... with no solid evidence. Hmmm...

I don't doubt there's rampant doping going on in Russian athletics. Russia and the United States have long held the top spots in terms of doping. But to single out the Russians, give blanket bans based on no evidence, and ignore all other instances of doping that goes on in athletics worldwide, and the presentation of no evidence leads me to believe that this is just politically motivated, Cold War 2.0 nonsense.

Yup. Exactly that. My mind can be changed after evidence is presented. Until then...

You're missing the point that it was allegedly state sponsored.

You're missing the point that it was allegedly state sponsored.
Nope, that part is what makes it so ridiculous and extreme.

If I'm missing anything, it's called: EVIDENCE. A claim like that, you would think, would HAVE to be backed up by it... but... I guess people will just lap up anything.

Ehh not really. I mean, the best players in the world are not differentiated by their stamina. It helps but ultimately isn't what makes players great (unlike, say, rowing or cycling or running). Or even good.

I think this can be pretty naive. Athletes use PEDs to help them train harder and recover from injuries faster. It's not just about being stronger or having big muscles. These are things that would absolutely benefit soccer players.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Nope, that part is what makes it so ridiculous and extreme.

If I'm missing anything, it's called: EVIDENCE. A claim like that, you would think, would HAVE to be backed up by it... but... I guess people will just lap up anything.

If an independent agency that carries weight accuses outright, you tend to listen and see how it plays out. They said allegedly, too, so not sure what you are even going on about.

Is this since November 12? Or as of November 12?

Probably the latter. And this isn't a lot of athletes at all. Doping is worldwide and widespread. This particular chart doesn't look good for Russia though.
CHEEZMO™;185275358 said:
This just proves it's a politically motivated attack to make poor Russia look bad I mean just look how disproportionate it is!
Still doesn't prove anything regarding OP. People dope and don't get caught. Not to mention doping in non-national competitive sports.

Still seems politically motivated.
If an independent agency that carries weight accuses outright, you tend to listen and see how it plays out. They said allegedly, too, so not sure what you are even going on about.
How about looking at my post in the context of the thread. We're saying the same thing. Don't know why you're targeting me when the entire thread is basically saying GUILTY and I'm just saying, like you, it's alleged and we need evidence. Not sure what YOU are even going on about, lad.

HarryKS

USA definitely numero uno in that field.

Everyone's doing it.

You can bet your ass PED use is ubiquitous in real football. THey just don't care, much like most people.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
How about looking at my post in the context of the thread. We're saying the same thing. Don't know why you're targeting me when the entire thread is basically saying GUILTY and I'm just saying, like you, it's alleged and we need evidence. Not sure what YOU are even going on about, lad.

Oh i did, that is why i said allegedly. You need to peep your tone to the person you responded to and realize how you came off. Like you were calling him out and demanding evidence from him based on the agencys assertion.

Calling me "Lad" isnt helping you.

I think this can be pretty naive. Athletes use PEDs to help them train harder and recover from injuries faster. It's not just about being stronger or having big muscles. These are things that would absolutely benefit soccer players.

Being an athlete is a requirement of top level football these days so I agree with you. Gone are the days of the portly Micky Quinn style footballer.

Fitness and the ability to train longer and harder all give an advantage, even if they won't make up for a lack of football talent. Dean Windass won't be as good as Ronaldo, no matter how many drugs he takes, but he will be a better Dean Windass.

El Topo

Being an athlete is a requirement of top level football these days so I agree with you. Gone are the days of the portly Micky Quinn style footballer.

Fitness and the ability to train longer and harder all give an advantage, even if they won't make up for a lack of football talent. Dean Windass won't be as good as Ronaldo, no matter how many drugs he takes, but he will be a better Dean Windass.

I think German trainer Peter Neururer claimed that (in German soccer) doping was rampant in the 80s. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those open secrets no one talks about.
The doping controls in soccer are laughable and it seems too benefitial to ignore.

Oh i did, that is why i said allegedly. You need to peep your tone to the person you responded to and realize how you came off. Like you were calling him out and demanding evidence from him based on the agencys assertion.

Calling me "Lad" isnt helping you.
No, my tone was directed at you and matched your own. So realize how YOU came off. If anything, the bold is a misinterpretation on your part. I want to see evidence presented from the Anti-Doping Agency, not him, obviously. That's clear in my reply. So stop projecting and don't insert yourself into something you had nothing to do with from the jump, lad. Move on.

Anyways...
USA definitely numero uno in that field.

Everyone's doing it.

You can bet your ass PED use is ubiquitous in real football. THey just don't care, much like most people.
This is why the IAAF chart to me doesn't hold much credence. Unless there is key context that I'm missing (and I might be), it must be inaccurate. The only way it makes sense is if it's in regards to only international competitions. Otherwise, it can't really put stock in it.

We know that in 2013 alone that over 20 MLB players were suspended for testing positive for doping. The chart only lists eight suspensions for the US.

What am I missing, guys? Or did I answer my own question above?

Pedrito

No, my tone was directed at you and matched your own. So realize how YOU came off. If anything, the bold is a misinterpretation on your part. I want to see evidence presented from the Anti-Doping Agency, not him, obviously. That's clear in my reply. So stop projecting and don't insert yourself into something you had nothing to do with from the jump, lad. Move on.

Anyways...

This is why the IAAF chart to me doesn't hold much credence. Unless there is key context that I'm missing (and I might be), it must be inaccurate. The only way it makes sense is if it's in regards to only international competitions. Otherwise, it can't really put stock in it.

We know that in 2013 alone that over 20 MLB players were suspended for testing positive for doping. The chart only lists eight suspensions for the US.

What am I missing, guys? Or did I answer my own question above?

IAAF = Athletics = Track & Field
It's the number of athletes currently banned for doping in the world in that sport.

You're really quick to come at Russia's defense (as usual), but it seems like you don't completely understand the situation, starting with which sport is involved here.

chadskin

Russia sent its response to the findings of the report to the WADA and, well, they're not convinced:
AP: BREAKING: WADA panel finds Russia's anti-doping agency non-compliant.
https://twitter.com/ap/status/665267711983943681

Decision on whether Russia will be suspended from athletics competition, including possibly from participating in the next Olympics, is apparently coming in shortly. Journalists are waiting for a statement:

CTuC7p5XAAQxZpI.jpg

https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/665269340942508032

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom