• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrich

Banned
liquid_gears said:
You're right :lol

ugh.

Japan/Korea was amazing. Too long ago.

fuck those were some exciting games that year. i remember having to get up at 3-4am on a school day to watch that with my parents.

Salazar

BowieZ said:
The fact Australia is a threat proves this post is either ignorant or a blatant attempt to rile us Aussies up.

Fail.

As a Welshman living in Australia, the degree and direction of my sympathies will depend on what kind of football Australia play.

Regarding the peripheral topic of A League prospects for the squad, give Tommy Oar a shot.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm hoping for this draw for my country:
Holland
Portugal
Uruguay
South Korea

Portugal goes without saying, we have business with them, Uruguay & SK play nice attractive football, should provide at least entertaining matches.

In the 2nd round I want Germany. And destroy them.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Portugal vs Holland last time was one nasty match. Portugal lost my respect. Together with Italy.

Hope Holland eats the shit out of Portugal. And Italy.. just ...

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Bleepey said:
There are a lot of Nigerians in Melbourne?

i thought most black immigrants in Melbourne were Sudanese. So i'm inclined to say no but i could be wrong.

Kozak

Banned
Atlagev said:
I'm American, and I feel the same way. I mean, when you go to the World Cup, you want to play the best teams, not Slovenia and Uruguay.

My hope for the U.S.'s group:

England
France
Ivory Coast
USA

BRING IT.

Slovenia downed Russia and Uruguay could probably down the USA. Majority of their players play in Europe too.

Atlagev

Kozak said:
Slovenia downed Russia and Uruguay could probably down the USA. Majority of their players play in Europe too.

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying Slovenia and Uruguay are bad teams at all. In fact, I think the only real weak team in the field is New Zealand (sorry, Kiwis!)

Part of it has to do with the attractiveness of the matches. I mean, USA - England and USA - France would even get Americans who have no interest in soccer watching those games. :)

Arjen

neorej said:
I'm hoping for this draw for my country:
Holland
Portugal
Uruguay
South Korea

Portugal goes without saying, we have business with them, Uruguay & SK play nice attractive football, should provide at least entertaining matches.

In the 2nd round I want Germany. And destroy them.

I would give 1 testicle for a match and win against Germany

Magni

Alright, I want France to be paired with South Africa, Algeria, and North Korea. That way if we don't pass the group stage at least we'll be sure (crosses fingers) to never see Domenech rear his ugly head again. And France-Algeria will be sweet to watch (the Algerians made much more noise then the French when both teams qualified last Wednesday).

edit: though France-USA would be entertaining to me as well (I'm French-American).

Wes

venison crêpe
Latest tidbit I heard is that an estimated 200 million will be watching the draw live. And that Carol Manana, a well known sports prsenter in South Africa, will also be hosting the show. Not sure on the exact roles of her, Charlize Theron and Jerome Valcke will be.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Salazar said:
As a Welshman living in Australia, the degree and direction of my sympathies will depend on what kind of football Australia play.

Regarding the peripheral topic of A League prospects for the squad, give Tommy Oar a shot.
I think it really depends on the team. Australia is a counter-attack team at the moment. Give them a high attacking team and they will usually trounce them.. give them a shitty team and they will probably lose.

D4Danger said:
bump. It's on in a minute.
24 hours too early sunshine.

Dragnet

In a way, I want Team Awesome (Note: England) to play Portugal. Remember this?

argh-1.gif

Sly prick.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wes said:
New Zealand
125px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

FIFA World Ranking 77th
Odds to win: 1000/1
How they qualified: Won the oceanic group and beat Bahrain from Asia in the continental play off.
Info: Only their second ever World Cup (first being in 1982) and predicted to just enjoy the group stage experience. They lack any sort of world class player.
Group Fear: Fearful like a puppy in bubble wrap. If you've drawn this team you should be expecting three points from your game with them.

1000/1!

cmon NZ!! I'm putting 10 bucks on that shit for sure.

X26

Banned
Will be rooting for Greece, hopefully they get a favorable group so they arne't out of itright away

Dragnet said:
In a way, I want Team Awesome (Note: England) to play Portugal. Remember this?

argh-1.gif

Sly prick.
No more conflict of interest either, I'm sure the England FA could now care less if Ronaldo's hauled down by Terry and injured again. Dude kinda deserves it. He's phenomenal but was an asshole.

ElNarez

Banned
I'll support France until we're eliminated because of Domenech's absolute incompetence. Then I'll probably be for whoever's most likely to win. Or maybe the Netherlands.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
AR! GEN! TINA!
AR! GEN! TINA!
AR! GEN! TINA!

:lol

daegan

Gamecocks625 said:
Sucks that Charlie Davies won't be able to play. We really, really needed him up top. He did wonders during the Confed. Cup.

:(

My expectations are a little lower now for Sam's Army.

ESPN's supposed to play an interview they've done with him during the draw tomorrow...his doctors think he can be playing by then :eek:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
daegan said:
ESPN's supposed to play an interview they've done with him during the draw tomorrow...his doctors think he can be playing by then :eek:
wow thats crazy. wth happened there anyway--who was driving etc. all i remember was the day it happened but haven't heard much since.

AstroLad said:
wow thats crazy. wth happened there anyway--who was driving etc. all i remember was the day it happened but haven't heard much since.

Yeah really, who was driving, was alcohol involved, and if so, did that person go to jail?

daegan

AFAIK they've never released any of that info - the name of the survivor, who was driving, why they were going so fast, etc.

daegan said:
AFAIK they've never released any of that info - the name of the survivor, who was driving, why they were going so fast, etc.

How can they not release it? Arent police reports public domain?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Fersis said:
AR! GEN! TINA!
AR! GEN! TINA!
AR! GEN! TINA!

:lol

Tch after such a shitty showing this fall, I don't see them outside their group whoever ARG happens to be grouped with.

faridmon

WTF? how come teams like New Zealand and North Korea can qualify and Teams like Norway can't? WTF?

they are actually qualified?

Ondore

The odds for the tournament are based on British bookmakers, right? I think there's an incentive to make them lower so people will say "Hey, you're going to the bookie? Can you put 20 quid on England to win the Cup for me?"

Salazar

Is there a betting market for injuries ?

Someone's metatarsal is rather inevitably going to be fucked. Knee ligaments will go, obviously, and a few illustrious hamstrings.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
USA is gonna win it!

haha no seriously it's going to be another brazil year unfortunately. Although I would love a surprise.
If only Argentina had dumped that jackass maradona it might have a better chance :(

would love to see ivory coast shock everyone.

As an Australian this is the group I want:

South Africa
Switzerland
Chile
Australia

This would be lots of fun:

Italy
Greece
Uruguay
Australia

This would be an early exit for us:

Spain
Portugal
Ivory Coast
Australia

I almost want the second group to happen. Italian grudge match, a match against Greece would be awesome to watch in Melbourne, and Uruguay because of our long relationship in world cup qualifying matters.

Can't wait for tonight! Go the Socceroos!

Go England! Odds are good
that I'll be heartbroken again :(

Also, I predict that at least one of the teams from pot A will not make it past group play (not England, though
(I pray...)
)

I hope Mexico gets a tough group. I think we play better against the top teams....or do we???

Aguirre needs to pay attention to Maza Rodriguez, I hear hes having a good season with PSV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom