• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Dresden

Of the classes I leveled to 85 I think the shaman was the most fun, mainly because enhance is roflstomp and you can always switch it up by going resto or ele or whatever you feel like as you level.

I shan't mention the paladin because I leveled him in TBC, which basically came down to aoe grinding with holy shield or autoattacking until you got CS at level 50. >.>

TheYanger

tried random raid finder, led group to 3 boss kills with little trouble. It's not so bad, once people learn the strats it'll be a joke.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TheYanger said:
tried random raid finder, led group to 3 boss kills with little trouble. It's not so bad, once people learn the strats it'll be a joke.
It worked okay for me too. The fact is, the PTR crowd isn't representative of sane players. It's 80% trolls and people who want to fuck around with free epics on classes they don't have, not to mention the 5 minute queue with gear you don't actually get long term doesn't give much incentive to try for those players.

Number45

Rolling on a PvP realm for the first time in my WoW life (trying characters out at the moment, but swaying towards levelling a prot warrior). Hopefully I can get out of the routine of just shelling up when I come across someone from the other faction, rather than hitting them in the face.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Number45 said:
Rolling on a PvP realm for the first time in my WoW life (trying characters out at the moment, but swaying towards levelling a prot warrior). Hopefully I can get out of the routine of just shelling up when I come across someone from the other faction, rather than hitting them in the face.
Assuming you don't have heirlooms and they do, you'll probably be owned.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I should asked during the Q&A if and when we can hide our hideous Power Torrent enchant so that the weapon design isn't totally meaningless.

Number45

DeathNote said:
Assuming you don't have heirlooms and they do, you'll probably be owned.
Yeah, I have heirlooms elsewhere (you still can't move them without a transfer right?) but this will be pretty much fresh. I don't mind losing, but I literally clam up when anyone engages me in PvP at any level.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I should asked during the Q&A if and when we can hide our hideous Power Torrent enchant so that the weapon design isn't totally meaningless.
I asked 10 good questions that got ignored.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
I asked 10 good questions that got ignored.
It's just ridiculous; it doesn't matter what weapon you acquire because they all appear as a giant flaming stick.

Duki

Banned
do valour points get wiped when we move from 4.2 -> 4.3?

dunno whether to bother buying shit now or just waiting for 4.3 since its hitting soon anyway

Duki said:
do valour points get wiped when we move from 4.2 -> 4.3?

dunno whether to bother buying shit now or just waiting for 4.3 since its hitting soon anyway

They get converted to JP, and all things that were purchasable with VP now go on the JP vendor. Then there will be new VP stuff.

So just buy what you need/want now, as it doesn't really matter. The best you could do is buy bracers and sell them otherwise, which maybe would get you 6k at the most now, more likely 3k, as almost everyone has them already (which I think is the reason my bracer enchants aren't selling...)

Syphon Filter said:
Is getting to level 85 the main point of the game? What do you guys do afterwards?

The game is completely different at 85 (or whatever the max level is at the time.)

Some people say "the game starts at max level". I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but the types of things you will be doing are completely different, even if you're using the same basic systems.

Rokal

Most of the people on these forums would actually tell you that the game begins at level 85. The things most of us spend the most time doing when we play WoW (or played it in the past) are at the level cap.

There are a couple ways you can go:

1. Group PvE - You can run 5-mans, heroics, and raids to get better gear for your character and see new content. These things are all best experienced in a guild, as random WoW players can be... unpleasant. If this sounds like fun to you, try to find a guild you'd fit in with to participate in some of these activities. 5-mans and Heroic 5-mans can definitely be done using the "looking for dungeon" tool that automatically matches you with other players, and in 4.3 a similar tool will be available for raiding. Still, you'll find these activities more fun if you are doing them with friends/guild-mates rather than strangers.

2. PvP - There are a couple new PvP options that open up to you at 85. You can (again) participate in battlegrounds or arena to get better PvP gear for your character. WoW PvP is kind of obnoxious because gear has such an impact on how well you do. As a new level 85, you'll meet lots of other characters that you don't have great chance of winning against until you get better gear yourself (and the cycle begins anew)

3. Solo PvE - You can finish off quest zones or reputation factions you haven't completed yet which will net you some nice upgrades for your character, or do 'daily' quests in Tol'Barad or Molten Front that let you slowly upgrade your character alone.

4. Achievements - For the most part, you're trading a leveling progression for a gear progression when you get to level 85. The only non-gear upgrade activity to do, really, is achievements. You can try collecting pets/mounts, run all of the old dungeons, that sort of stuff.

Duki

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
They get converted to JP, and all things that were purchasable with VP now go on the JP vendor. Then there will be new VP stuff.

So just buy what you need/want now, as it doesn't really matter. The best you could do is buy bracers and sell them otherwise, which maybe would get you 6k at the most now, more likely 3k, as almost everyone has them already (which I think is the reason my bracer enchants aren't selling...)
ah so if im not near the jp cap i can just leave it unspent? sitting on like 900 of each so may as well save up for when its converted

Angry Grimace

Bah, still haven't gotten a Slayer of the Lifeless on my DK after soloing Gothik for a few weeks.

Duki said:
ah so if im not near the jp cap i can just leave it unspent? sitting on like 900 of each so may as well save up for when its converted
Patch drop is at least 3~ weeks away. Don't hold your breath unless you intend to not play WoW for a while.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Number45 said:
Yeah, I have heirlooms elsewhere (you still can't move them without a transfer right?) but this will be pretty much fresh. I don't mind losing, but I literally clam up when anyone engages me in PvP at any level.

lol, I'm sort of the same way, I panic and I can't remember what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. I've gotten better at it given I put so much time into pvping but yea, always makes me really nervous whenever I see a red name in my vicinity.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
It dropped for me on my DK yesterday :p

So I just started the battle for Hyjal questline on a relatively fresh holy pally, and it's proving to be somewhat annoying fighting mobs. I dont remember holy being so bad for questing. Has this changed recently?

Strafer said:
Hallow's End is almost over and not a single mount on the six chars I have.

Ugh, I gotta cram to finish what I want to get at least the Wickerman if not the Cat and Creepy Crate. I've been putting it off. Usually I'm good about racing to finish as much as I can in the first day or two.

Anno

So I'm giving the free trial period a try after not having played since just before BC released. I dislike some of the streamlining and the world-breaking things like motorcycles, but I'm still having a good time. I think I'll buy at least up to BC and see if it lasts for that 30 days.

So I'm wondering, has anything been put in over the years that isn't end-game focused? I usually spend an inordinate amount of time exploring and enjoying the low levels rather than rushing to the gear grind at max level. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to explore and things to do?

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Tamanon said:
From my understanding, they're great until 70-80, but then the coefficients and mob health start killing them.

Thanks, hmm makes me not want to continue to play a pally then, not really a fan of the other specs =/

So much for my dream of having each plate class all geared lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lrn2reed said:
Thanks, hmm makes me not want to continue to play a pally then, not really a fan of the other specs =/

So much for my dream of having each plate class all geared lol.

You could just do dungeons too you know.

notworksafe

Anno said:
So I'm wondering, has anything been put in over the years that isn't end-game focused? I usually spend an inordinate amount of time exploring and enjoying the low levels rather than rushing to the gear grind at max level. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to explore and things to do?
Archaeology

Angry Grimace

Lrn2reed said:
It dropped for me on my DK yesterday :p

So I just started the battle for Hyjal questline on a relatively fresh holy pally, and it's proving to be somewhat annoying fighting mobs. I dont remember holy being so bad for questing. Has this changed recently?
Is there something preventing you from switching to another spec?

Bisnic

Kaper said:
You say that like ret/prot is somehow faster at killing.

It is? I kill stuff pretty fast with my ret pally while questing. Sure, not as fast as my frost mage or fury warrior, but its still faster than fucking holy pally.

Angry Grimace

Kaper said:
You say that like ret/prot is somehow faster at killing.
I'm pretty sure it is. As Holy you can do nothing but spam Exorcism and Holy Wrath and run out of mana in seconds.

TheYanger

Yeah what a ridiculous statement, of course the tank and dps specs are going to kill faster than the healing spec.. Ret kills mobs really fast and is really durable for questing thanks to stuff like word of glory and the huge holy lights if you need after a kill, and prot...well all the tank classes kill at a medium speed and have 0 downtime. Even in piss poor gear it's much better to quest as either of those specs than as holy.

Anno

Curious, what do people think is the most complex class? I loved the utility of my rogue back in the day, and it seems like that's still there, but I kind of want to try something new. Warlocks look like they could be pretty intricate, as well as druids.

Bisnic

Anno said:
Curious, what do people think is the most complex class? I loved the utility of my rogue back in the day, and it seems like that's still there, but I kind of want to try something new. Warlocks look like they could be pretty intricate, as well as druids.

Not sure if feral druids are as complex as before. Enhancement shamans and protection warriors are some of the specs that ask you to push a lot of buttons too.

Rokal

Anno said:
I think I'll buy at least up to BC and see if it lasts for that 30 days.

So I'm wondering, has anything been put in over the years that isn't end-game focused?

Everybody got TBC for free when Cata came out, so you wouldn't need to buy it.

Achievements have lots of alternative goals.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
Not sure if feral druids are as complex as before. Enhancement shamans and protection warriors are some of the specs that ask you to push a lot of buttons too.
Enhance is not particularly complex at all. In fact, it's even got a few open GCDs, which you don't get on other classes.

I've never done Feral (although I have an 80 Druid), but I'd say of the class/spec combos I've used the most complex is probably destruction warlock. You have to keep Soul Fire up every 15 sec. then Bane of Doom, Curse of Elements, immolate, conflag, chaos bolt, corruption, incinerate until your backdraft expires, then go back and keep all of the other ones up.

So you end up with a rotation like, Soulburn--> Soul Fire, BoD, CoE, Immo, Conflag, Chaos bolt, Corruption, Incin Incin, Conflag, Chaos Bolt, refresh Immolate, Incin Incin, refresh Corruption, hard cast soul fire. If you get an empowered imp proc, you have to wait until it's about to expire so that you aren't wasting time on a current Imp. SF buff.

There's just a lot of shit to watch. I really wish it had the highest DPS capacity for warlocks because it rewards skill to have it be that complex, but even perfect play on a destro lock is below Afflic and Demo.

Angry Grimace

Infinity said:
It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me - I've been working on this for close to two years now and no such luck. This year, I've yet to see anyone get it. So sad.
The only reason anyone has one at all is because they had a bug last year that pushed the Mount in place of the sword and helm.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
The only reason anyone has one at all is because they had a bug last year that pushed the Mount in place of the sword and helm.
I've gotten two this year without even trying (only did it less than half of the days)...it's definitely not THAT rare.
And I agree that destro is an absurd spec, my warlock isd estro cause I'm too lazy to respec it, and I regret it every time I play it. Not even just destro, but warlocks in general are a really complicated class (Destro simly exemplifies it).

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
I've gotten two this year without even trying (only did it less than half of the days)...it's definitely not THAT rare.
And I agree that destro is an absurd spec, my warlock isd estro cause I'm too lazy to respec it, and I regret it every time I play it. Not even just destro, but warlocks in general are a really complicated class (Destro simly exemplifies it).
It's like 1-3% so it's not like you'll never get it; I'm really more of just saying why it seems like there's a lot of them around. I mean I got both Rivendare's Deathcharger and Kael'thas White Chocobo in less than 15 attempts each, so it really depends on luck.

I still like Destro, possibly the most of all specs in the game. It's fun, but it's not like you get rewarded enough for being good at it since its DPS sucks regardless. I'm not sure why people think Enhance Shaman is complicated, there's only like 6 buttons and most of them have long enough cooldowns where it's just "press this if not on cooldown."

idlewild_

Bisnic said:

prot warriors are also pretty easy, there are a wide array of buttons you can press, but you don't really need to press them all to play well enough to matter.

ignoring longer survival/dps cooldowns since their use varies based on the situation and every class has those to manage:

for single target, keep thunderclap debuff and demo shout debuff up, keep 3 stacks of sunder armor up, use shield slam on cd, if you are decently geared and have a 378+ weapon then ignore revenge and just spam devastate, otherwise use revenge whenever you can. also spam heroic strike you have enough rage (typically >50, though this depends on the situation) you can optionally keep rend up if there is a 30% bleed debuff, though the dps increase is fairly minor (make sure not to refresh it with thunderclap, b/c you will miss out on an extra tick of rend)

->seems like a fair number of buttons, but realistically with the nerfs to threat management all you really need to use is shield slam, devastate and heroic strike unless you are pushing some difficult/progression fight where your dps/mitigation matters.

for multiple targets: start with rend and use thunderclap to spread to all enemies. use revenge, thunderclap, shockwave and cleave as often as you can and keep demo shout up.

so roughly 4 buttons that you would be using at a time based on whether you are doing single or mutli target. honestly speaking, with how much threat prot wars can generate, you can play sub-optimally priority wise and just focus on following encounter mechanics and no-one will come close to grabbing threat from you (unless you're in some crazy top100 guild.) my crappy 361 geared prot warrior (353 weapon,) can generate enough threat to just auto-attack/tc/demo for the last 1/3 of an encounter still be fine on threat against most FL geared dps. which, imho, makes them a lot easier to play than other classes that have to worry about playing their rotation optimally AND dealing with encounter mechanics.

Top Bottom