• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

FLEABttn

Banned
Magnus said:
I had no idea Blizzard was auctioning those off! Educate me: server blades are...what, smaller pieces of the old server architecture? Junior servers?

What a fascinating, physical piece of gaming history.

"A blade server is a stripped down server computer with a modular design optimized to minimize the use of physical space and energy. Whereas a standard rack-mount server can function with (at least) a power cord and network cable, blade servers have many components removed to save space, minimize power consumption and other considerations, while still having all the functional components to be considered a computer."

It's gonna be kind of weird. Like one of my good WoW friends was a Blizz employee, worked with the database and the servers, and he died of cancer. It's kind of like having a small piece of him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Haha, Angry Grimace, Capernian did the knockback where I got ported to the start of the instance.
It's some kind of bug that's related to the fact that when she knocks you up, sometimes the two guys back at the beginning are incapable of pathing to you, which causes you to get ported apparently. I have no idea why and how that works but I generally die when it happens since I can't down the two guys before Capernian comes back and disorients me to death.

So this happened...

1Czqe.png

Now I can quit complaining about the questline. Yay!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magnus said:
Are you guys discussing solo-ing Kael'thas? I must know how this is made possible, and on which class!
It's a few pages back, but he's soloable on several classes that have a lot of self-healing.

wonderdung said:
So this happened...

1Czqe.png

Now I can quit complaining about the questline. Yay!
It must be around the time when a lot of 10 mans get it since it's popped up a lot recently.

Angry Grimace said:
It must be around the time when a lot of 10 mans get it since it's popped up a lot recently.

Yup, for my server the 25 man guild (yes, the only one) got their second 2 weeks ago, the good 10 man guild got theirs last week and we got ours this week (2nd place server). There will be 1-2 a week from here on out.

ch0mp

wonderdung said:
Yup, for my server the 25 man guild (yes, the only one) got their second 2 weeks ago, the good 10 man guild got theirs last week and we got ours this week (2nd place server). There will be 1-2 a week from here on out.
202 souls right now. With some good RNG i'll have it in 24 hours.

Entropia

No One Remembers
We have 1 because the mage we gave the first too was away for a week and then missed a few other nights during the first part of the quest. We'll probably get our 2nd in a few weeks.

Number45

Decided to start a Hunter for the first time (one of a few classes I've barely touched, the others being Paladin, Warlock and Rogue) and she's level 44 at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm having fun yet but I think at least I'll see it through to level 85. :)

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of quick questions:

1. Feed pet is completely useless now right? I'm sure I read that the pet happiness thing is now a thing of the past (and there's nothing on my UI that suggests it's there).
  2. Active pet abilities. There are four shown on the pet bar but more within the spellbook - are all of the active abilities (those with a sparkly border) properly active (i.e. available for use by the pet) at all times? So by removing Growl from the pet bar for instance the pet will continue to use it just as long as I don't turn it off?
Trivial questions I know, but I can't seem to find clear answers. :/

Angry Grimace

Number45 said:
Decided to start a Hunter for the first time (one of a few classes I've barely touched, the others being Paladin, Warlock and Rogue) and she's level 44 at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm having fun yet but I think at least I'll see it through to level 85. :)

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of quick questions:

1. Feed pet is completely useless now right? I'm sure I read that the pet happiness thing is now a thing of the past (and there's nothing on my UI that suggests it's there).
  2. Active pet abilities. There are four shown on the pet bar but more within the spellbook - are all of the active abilities (those with a sparkly border) properly active (i.e. available for use by the pet) at all times? So by removing Growl from the pet bar for instance the pet will continue to use it just as long as I don't turn it off?
Trivial questions I know, but I can't seem to find clear answers. :/
I believe they are still active even if pulled off the bars. I don't think any Hunter pets have more abilities than fits on their pet bar though.

Number45

My cat has access to Claw/Bite (I forget which), Roar Of Courage, Prowl, Dash and Cower right now, which is already one more than the pet tab shows. I assume (hope) that the pet bar skills are there to allow you you have easy access to enable/disable certain talents (like Growl for example, which I'm still not sure if it's actually a taunt) so you can just hide the ones that you want on at all times.

Angry Grimace

Number45 said:
My cat has access to Claw/Bite (I forget which), Roar Of Courage, Prowl, Dash and Cower right now, which is already one more than the pet tab shows. I assume (hope) that the pet bar skills are there to allow you you have easy access to enable/disable certain talents (like Growl for example, which I'm still not sure if it's actually a taunt) so you can just hide the ones that you want on at all times.
Growl just increases threat. It used to be annoying in dungeons but no even below average tank could lose aggro with a 500% threat modifier to it.

Just right click the auto abilities in the spellbook to turn them off if you don't want them on. For example, there's really no reason at all to keep the raid buff ability on your bar unless for some random reason someone got resurrected mid-fight and you wanted to put it back up or something.

Number45 said:

Growl is a taunt, and you are correct, from what I remember. I haven't played my hunter since they switched to focus though :p

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Growl is a taunt, and you are correct, from what I remember. I haven't played my hunter since they switched to focus though :p
A pet's growl is not a taunt. It just increases threat by a fixed amount.

Number45

Angry Grimace said:
A pet's growl is not a taunt. It just increases threat by a fixed amount.
Yeah I'd read that, but as I was asked to turn it off the other night I wasn't sure. I just switched it off because I couldn't be arsed to argue - hopefully I'll finally get a Tenacity pet tonight (don't know why I haven't before, going to get a turtle from Thousand Needles I think) then I can permanently disable Growl from the cat, which I'll keep for instances.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
We have 0 because everyone got sick of Firelands. The GM couldn't persuade his 7 real life friends to stick around, so, they got very sick of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I watched the Heroic Rag encounter this weekend. Makes me wish I still played with a group of SOLID players. My mage and pally tank would have a blast doing shit like that.

Also, how many people have the "I can't hear you over how awesome I am" achievement? I gather that the fight is pretty rough. And is 4.0 stuff still ridiculously hard for people? I remember that I quit after my guild fizzled out (it was pre-nerf of Al'Akir and shit), and since I can't dedicate multiple 3+ hour sessions a week, raiding was just out of the question anymore. :|

nicoga3000 said:
I watched the Heroic Rag encounter this weekend. Makes me wish I still played with a group of SOLID players. My mage and pally tank would have a blast doing shit like that.

Dunno, I was happy to be working on it until about the 20th wipe. I think we're getting close to 200 now and are just getting past the first part of P4. It's a bitch of a fight. The only thing we've actually killed that took us anywhere near this long was heroic Anub 25, and that was a significantly easier fight.

Much respect to anyone that killed HRag pre-nerfs. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
8BitsAtATime said:
I havent played in about 2 years, I Think I'll start up again.

You'll find that the game changed quite a bit since 2009... especially talents and lvl 1-60 zones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
wonderdung said:
Dunno, I was happy to be working on it until about the 20th wipe. I think we're getting close to 200 now and are just getting past the first part of P4. It's a bitch of a fight. The only thing we've actually killed that took us anywhere near this long was heroic Anub 25, and that was a significantly easier fight.

Much respect to anyone that killed HRag pre-nerfs. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

We spent like 3 months on OS3D 25 when it first dropped. It was SO awesome to finally rock out. We did the same thing on Heroice Putricide 25. I love uphill battles, but only if there's progress and non-bads, haha. When we were having null attempts on Heroic Sindy, I wanted to punch people in their throat. It sucks when you have people getting tunnel vision on encounters that require focus.

TheYanger

wonderdung said:

I always find Rag to be the most enjoyable fight :/ 200 isn't that many, you guys are doing well! I get tired of wasting time on the fight, not on actually executing.

Bisnic

davepoobond said:
so its looking like decemberish is when they're releasing 4.3

Not really surprising considering they're still doing test phases and everything.

Also, gotta have something to compete with Star Wars!

I just hope this patch wont be another "ICC" where we will fight Deathwing for 1 year.

Angry Grimace

davepoobond said:
so its looking like decemberish is when they're releasing 4.3
Patches usually launch on the day the old PvP season ends or a week afterwards - the announcement says that points are going to be converted on the 22nd, and they aren't going to do a point conversion on any day that's not patch day.

TheYanger

Based on the arena announcement the patch could be hitting the 22nd. That would be a monumental fuck you to all us raiding guilds since it'd be thanksgiving week of course, so I hope to god it's the week after.

Miletius

It's always tricky releasing a patch around this time because people have so many other commitments. I know that traditionally my guild slows down around this time. I'll be out Thanksgiving weekend and with Christmas around the corner that's going to be at least 2-3 weeks where attendance will be down due to holiday gatherings.

Bisnic

Miletius said:
It's always tricky releasing a patch around this time because people have so many other commitments. I know that traditionally my guild slows down around this time. I'll be out Thanksgiving weekend and with Christmas around the corner that's going to be at least 2-3 weeks where attendance will be down due to holiday gatherings.

Best time to actually release the Raid Finder huh?

"No time to raid with your guild due to holidays stuff? Join Raid Finder™ NOW!"

Miletius

Bisnic said:
Best time to actually release the Raid Finder huh?

"No time to raid with your guild due to holidays stuff? Join Raid Finder™ NOW!"

Heh, True. Class Balance Q&A is live now for anybody that might want to partake.

Angry Grimace

Nobody who raids has anything else to do anyways. Everyone knows that.

Will hunters be able to equip melee weapons instead of a ranged weapon in MoP, even if just for show ?
11:02

Xelnath:
Yes.

I called it.

Xelnath:
Sometimes a spec is genuinely broken and trivializes the other classes. In those cases, we try to address the issue. However, sometimes players just haven't discovered the optimal way to play a particular class. For example, Unholy, Survival and Subtlety have the capability to perform far better than most people realize.

Right, all those nerds on EJ making equations and simulators and spreadsheets just haven't figured out how to play Unholy optimally.

Angry Grimace

Azwethinkweiz said:
Right, all those nerds on EJ making equations and simulators and spreadsheets just haven't figured out how to play Unholy optimally.
I think you misinterpreted that answer.

RNG at its best:

November 6th - MT Heroic, White Hawkstrider drops on my first run

November 10th - got Green Proto-Drake from the Satchel; bought Dark Whelpling for mere 2K gold

November 11th - Anzu drops from SH Heroic, my 5th-6th run

I'm up like 2-4k dps with the staff... ranked on at least two fights this week. (I got great numbers on Beth but our logger wasn't in raid... think I would have ranked on it if he had been.)

Skillstaff. I like it.

RPGCrazied

Sarrow's End just dropped last night questing in Twilight Highlands. Is this thing really worth 1,200g?

I might give it to my Warrior, but he is only level 83.

Miletius

The most interesting thing about the talk yesterday was the want to "hybridize" druids again to some extent. For example, having druids use tranquility during high damage phases to offset the huge damage that might be incoming, or to temp tank when things hit the fan.

Miletius said:
The most interesting thing about the talk yesterday was the want to "hybridize" druids again to some extent. For example, having druids use tranquility during high damage phases to offset the huge damage that might be incoming, or to temp tank when things hit the fan.

I do both of these already. I pop tranquility whenever the healers get behind. And I just recently switched to bear and tanked Baleroc for a minute or two when the tank went down.

Number45

Miletius said:
I'm curious about the comment that states that level 90 talents (I assume he meant talent builds) could be tailored from lazy to complicated.

I know what I'll be picking!

Top Bottom