• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Honestly, I just don't like expansions that only increase the level cap by 5. It feels like a lot less content and a lot less world to explore. There is something more gratifying about making it through 10 levels, compared to someone who has only made it through two or three. Getting through five levels and seeing people right behind you feels like a non-accomplishment. I guess I just like bigger gaps. When you consider that the original game was 1-60, a 5 level expansion is underwhelming.

Rambaldi

awwyeahgurrl said:
Drop her or tell her to step her shit up. People who aren't willing to learn or accept their mistakes are just a drag on guilds and groups in general.

It's not my decision to make, unfortunately. I've been losing my patience over the past two weeks after all her excuses and have been getting rather... unpleasant when she offers her advice which may end up getting me in trouble. I'm very close to losing my cool which sucks because everyone in my guild knows me as the "level headed funny guy." I just can't take it anymore. :(

I don't want people to bail over it but it's really out of my hands. I know plenty of my friends in the guild are pretty pissed about this situation, too. :|

Rambaldi said:
It's not my decision to make, unfortunately. I've been losing my patience over the past two weeks after all her excuses and have been getting rather... unpleasant when she offers her advice which may end up getting me in trouble. I'm very close to losing my cool which sucks because everyone in my guild knows me as the "level headed funny guy." I just can't take it anymore. :(

I don't want people to bail over it but it's really out of my hands. I know plenty of my friends in the guild are pretty pissed about this situation, too. :|
Honestly? Bail. The one thing that will always mess up and ruin your fun in wow is drama. The quicker you get out, the quicker you can find a new guild that either won't have that same drama (read: easier drama to deal with) or have better stuff going on (progression, etc.).

Rokal

You're having the tanks kill sons too? During the second transition, we usually have one tank helping on sons and the other picks up Lava Scions. If one of your tanks isn't putting out enough dps have that tank pick up Scions instead.

Speaking of which, you should use damage meters and look at 'damage done to Sons of Flame' to pinpoint exactly who is sucking on Sons. You can reset DM between transitions too, to focus entirely on transition 2 sons. There doesn't need to be any guesswork about who screwed up, it should be pretty obviously from damage meters.

Dps should really be able to handle all the sons without any tank assistance, especially since Son HP was nerfed a while back. In other words, even if your tank is bad, it's likely you have dps that aren't pulling their weight as well.

Anno

Regardless of whether or not it's at all useful there's still something super satisfying about finding a random BoE rare or epic while grinding away out in the woods.

Alex

Anno said:
Regardless of whether or not it's at all useful there's still something super satisfying about finding a random BoE rare or epic while grinding away out in the woods.

Until you get to the AH and it's worth like 11 gold!

I do wish the itemization was a little more restrained and open to uniqueness. It'd be nice to see a few things that could transcend item level somewhat but in the rare instances those popped up they were just nerfed into the floorboards. A shame.

Anno said:

I still remember the very first epic I ever had/found. Definitely the kind of thing that makes an impression on you.

Lei of Lillies

Alucrid

Banned
Alex said:
Until you get to the AH and it's worth like 11 gold!

I do wish the itemization was a little more restrained and open to uniqueness. It'd be nice to see a few things that could transcend item level somewhat but in the rare instances those popped up they were just nerfed into the floorboards. A shame.

Sold an Obsidian Cleaver for 40k. Felt good man.

I also found some random epic tank shield in molten front. Before that, during vanilla, I don't think I ever found an epic. Oh, on my priest alt I found an epic like 44 staff of whatever.

Alucrid said:
Sold an Obsidian Cleaver for 40k. Felt good man.

I also found some random epic tank shield in molten front. Before that, during vanilla, I don't think I ever found an epic. Oh, on my priest alt I found an epic like 44 staff of whatever.

Blockade's Lost Shield?

That was BiS until 4.2 except for the Heroic one from Nef. The crafted one was close, but not quite as good.

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Blockade's Lost Shield?

That was BiS until 4.2 except for the Heroic one from Nef. The crafted one was close, but not quite as good.

Yep. I think I sold it for like 7k?

Rokam

Found 2 BoE epics last week doing dailies, one was a shit cloth robe only sold for 5k, but the other was the Spirit/Haste cloth helmet, got a nice 15k out of it. Those were the only 2 BoE epics I've found at 85, and they dropped within a day of each other.

Anno

Honestly I don't care if I disenchant it because it's not worth anything, I just love seeing the colored text come up in the loot box. It's kind of like hitting "alt" after killing a bunch of shit in D2 and seeing a rare or unique or set item or something.

Rambaldi

FrontalMonk said:
Honestly? Bail. The one thing that will always mess up and ruin your fun in wow is drama. The quicker you get out, the quicker you can find a new guild that either won't have that same drama (read: easier drama to deal with) or have better stuff going on (progression, etc.).

Thanks, but jumping ship over one person doesn't really seem to be the right thing to do. I'd sooner get rid of her than my entire guild.

We're a pretty tight knit group. I've known most of these players for a while so I'd hate to lose that. I'm pretty much going to talk to the GM and be like "She needs to shape up or gtfo." And I'm pretty sure the GM will take my side.

That said, I've never raided with a group of people that I've gotten along with so well. This girl may be spoiling our fun right now but these guys (her excluded) are awesome and I'd hate to give them up. <3

McNei1y

In regards to the blue post about lowering item levels... I'm all for it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2541-The-Great-Item-Squish-(or-Not)-of-Pandaria

I've always thought that numbers were ridiculously high, even when BC was introduced. I mean it was pretty lame (exciting at the time yes but still lame) that I was replacing T2 epics with greens from quests in hellfire. It was then really weird to see everyone's health basically jump into the 5 digit area. Then the 6... I'm all for lowering the numbers big time. I know seeing my damage go from 10k to 1k won't anger me. It'll make it seem more clean.

TGMIII

Rambaldi said:

Get everything you can from guild perks etc and leave, honestly it's not worth staying over when it's so easy to create new guilds capable of doing a minimum of 10man heroics these days. Unless you have friends there that won't change over at all then I would just go, me and a few friends did this recently and it's a lot more fun for everyone.

Or just talk to the GM and get him/her to tell her to sort her shit out or she's getting the boot. She'll either quickly learn to shut up or get dropped, either way you win.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just had a Zul'aman on my Shaman, and I notice that the tank is second on the DPS list. The warlock? 4000. I vote to kick with the reason "4000 dps."

"Vote to Kick has failed."

Cyrillus

Angry Grimace said:
I just had a Zul'aman on my Shaman, and I notice that the tank is second on the DPS list. The warlock? 4000. I vote to kick with the reason "4000 dps."

"Vote to Kick has failed."
You try maintaining a dot rotation while masturbating.

TGMIII

Yeah having a real bad time with heroics right now, keep getting really brain dead groups. I don't mind people making mistakes but when you can't move into position once every 2 minutes you've got a problem. I've also been in 3 groups now where I, holy priest, have more health than the tank, I shit you not.

Anno

Any suggest some addons for stat whores like myself? I've found one that slowly creates a database of mob stats/drops as I kill them, which for someone who loves to grind is amazing. I also figured I may as well run the WoWHead looter to help keep that up to date as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why does every PvP comp have a really stupid name attached to it?

RPGCrazied

Nice to see you can get some of the old sets for transmorgation or whatever its called. But why is it going to cost stupid dark moon faire tickets? I'd rather buy them with gold, or some other means.

OMFG, Archaeology is just.... Me being OCD I have to get the mount, but dear God, I never thought Blizz will design a profession that blows Fishing out of the water with how incredibly tedious it is.

2 days so far, 215/300 now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Castor Krieg said:
OMFG, Archaeology is just.... Me being OCD I have to get the mount, but dear God, I never thought Blizz will design a profession that blows Fishing out of the water with how incredibly tedious it is.

2 days so far, 215/300 now.

The skeleton raptor mount is easy to get, but i suggest you give up on the "AQ bug" one. Tol'vir sites are rare and the mount is fucking rare. Add these 2 together with a tedious profession and you have a good reason to never touch this crap again. The number of times you'll get 4 night elf digsites at the same time in Kalimdor will drive you insane.

Number45

Bisnic said:
The skeleton raptor mount is easy to get, but i suggest you give up on the "AQ bug" one. Tol'vir sites are rare and the mount is fucking rare. Add these 2 together with a tedious profession and you have a good reason to never touch this crap again. The number of times you'll get 4 night elf digsites at the same time in Kalimdor will drive you insane.
I accrued so many JP on my Druid while trying for that mount. :'(

Err, how do people learn to raid properly? Every guild/party i've been in boots me if I mess up. Why do people get so angry when your damage isn't amazing?

Deputy Moonman said:
Honestly, I just don't like expansions that only increase the level cap by 5.

I think part of it is their approach which is now on smaller, more frequent expansions. Part of it is creativity drying up in a sense that they can only think of so much new content. And the other part is they don't want levels to get out of hand. I mean do you really want level 130 characters running around? The level numbers could get out of hand.

To further explain my comment of Blizzard only being able to think of so much new content, that's not an insult. But the fact is, they've played a lot of their big cards. That being Outland and Northrend. Now they're dealing with smaller scale events like the Cataclysm and the discovery of Pandaria. Depending on your core idea, there's only so many things you can think of attached to it. Not to mention the reality that a lot of the extremely creative talent at Blizzard has moved on to StarCraft II, Diablo III and Titan.

AlimNassor said:
Err, how do people learn to raid properly? Every guild/party i've been in boots me if I mess up. Why do people get so angry when your damage isn't amazing?

You are not supposed to learn how to raid, you should know how to the moment you log in to WoW for the first time. You should also outgear the raid instance by at least 20 ilvl, and have 6/7 heroic bosses done, all this while going to raid with a PUG.

That's how it is on Burning Legion. I'm so happy there is a lot to do solo, and MoP seems to follow that trend.

Angry Grimace

AlimNassor said:
Not to be mean, but it isn't that difficult to figure out how to do your classes ability priority. Sure, you can blame Blizzard for not making it particularly obvious, but it's not really that high of an expectation.

AlimNassor said:

Watch videos of fights, read strategy guides, ask knowledgable questions in raid before the fight if you're not familiar with which strategy will be employed.

Be sure you know what specific things you're expected to do! If you're a DPS you may be expected to move in or out of various things or interrupt casts in addition to doing damage. Keybind with these things in mind, and setup a UI that makes it obvious when things like casts are going off.

Install DBM or Bigwigs, they are a huge crutch for raiding and trivialize a lot of stuff that's supposed to be hard.

Use sites to help you gem and enchant, like http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow

Use sites to help you learn the best spec/glyphs/rotation, like http://noxxic.com/ (This site isn't 100% accurate but I find it a lot easier to browse here than EJ when I just want to be semi-competent on alts I haven't played in forever.)

Look up gear upgrades, go after ones that are decent for you that you can get solo. (Crafted or bought stuff.)

Best of all find a group of friends willing to carry you through a couple raids until you learn the ropes.

Maybe that sounds like a lot, but it doesn't actually take that long to learn a rotation and fix your glyphs or gems. That's where people fail a lot, most often.

AlimNassor said:
The way I learned, with only token help while online, was to read the Elitist Jerks forums for my class.

The first thing I learned was my rotation for attacking and how to populate my talent tree. After that I looked at what gear would be best for my role and more importantly the stats on it. That way I knew what gear to roll on while leveling and gearing up. Glyphs, gems, enchants came after that. The EJ forums provided a great base of information that I could use to google the rest.

Despite what some posters are saying, raiding is difficult at first. Getting used to positioning, knowing when to pop cool downs, and laying max damage is not an immediate process. People who say it is easy have muscle memory and inherent knowledge they built up over months and years. The best thing, in my opinion, is to find someone willing to tutor you for a few dungeon runs. I learned more in two heroic runs than I did after hours of research. Then everything started to click into place.

Someone on Area 52 Alliance Side was selling like 10 guardian cubs at 3500g each, other auctions were 9k+. Talk about ruining the market. Holy shit.
Also talk about blowing a ton of fucking money. lol

Miletius

Mechanized said:
Someone on Area 52 Alliance Side was selling like 10 guardian cubs at 3500g each, other auctions were 9k+. Talk about ruining the market. Holy shit.
Also talk about blowing a ton of fucking money. lol

Area 52 horde side isn't much better. Prices started at 26k and now listings were barely 6k. The rate of transaction is bad right now, but I think it'll get better once the initial rush is over. There might be less sales but you might be able to get a decent price for them at least.

FLEABttn

Banned
Dexa said:
why would you buy an old, used blade without any data >.<

Nerdy sentimentality. Not many people can say they own the place they met their significant other. My girlfriend is going to make a shadowbox to put it in.

TheYanger

IRL friend bought one for his server for the same reason.
I'd actually really like one of the MEdivh ones, but they're surely all charred husks after AQ40.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If i had the money I would have bought one. Lots of memories/nostalgia on Akama.

St. Jude also happens to be the place I've gave the most to with donations.

FLEABttn

Banned
Thanks!

I'm half expecting to look at the internals and find two Pentium 2's at 450Mhz and some weird amount of RAM, like 768 MB, considering how well everything ran back in the day.

Magnus

I had no idea Blizzard was auctioning those off! Educate me: server blades are...what, smaller pieces of the old server architecture? Junior servers?

What a fascinating, physical piece of gaming history.

Top Bottom