• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It's what I figured the patch would be back when they released the first screenshots and it was obvious they were just recycling zones and models. Honestly? I don't care that much. This expansion is already over in my mind, I'm just waiting for Mists. How disappointing this raid ends up being is going to be entirely based on how long I have to run it before Mists launches.

It's truly been the laziest expansion they've ever done. 4.2 will have been the only patch that actually felt like a patch.
You think 5.0 isn't going to be lazy?

New zones and race, big woop.

New class, but way easier to balance with no talent trees and stat changes. Leveling in Outland, Northrend, and Cat zones will suck.

They even say "this expansion isn't going to be focused on killing a foe, it's a focus on war between the alliance and horde". All that says to me is the raid bosses they think up are gonna be lame.

Rokal

Well, that's one pessimistic way to look at it. I'm hoping the poor patch quality and speed for Catacylsm means that they're spending that effort on Mists instead. I'd bet money that based on everything that happened after Cata launched, the sequence of events was this:

1. Blizzard intends to re-do 1-60, and it ends up being a lot more work than they planned on.
2. Cataclysm ends up being way behind schedule, and Blizzard struggles to get 80-85 and 1-60 done.
3. Instead of working on patch content as Cataclysm's release date came closer (as they had done with TBC and Wrath), Blizzard was struggling to to finish launch content.
4. Cataclysm finally launches and takes the longest out of any expansion Blizzard has done for WoW, meaning that Blizzard didn't originally plan for people to do ICC for a year.
5. Once it was clear that Cataclysm was not a big success and that subscriber numbers were dropping, Blizzard decided to reduce the scope of patches (and the total number) so that they can get the next expansion out faster and focus on recapturing players who quit at 85 after being bored within the first two months of the expansion. The next expansion would include more level cap content which is what keeps existing players around.
6. 4.1 (which would have included Troll dungeons and Firelands) was split into two patches "because people weren't done with T11 yet". The actual reason was to try and space out content patches since one major content patch (Abyssal Maw) was scrapped.
7. 4.1 is released with ZG/ZA remakes. ZG was probably remade earlier, and it shows in the scope of changes they made. ZA remake is more of a re-balancing than a re-make, which probably wasn't the original plan. The more ambitious plans for ZA were likely scrapped.
8. Firelands (4.2) is also reduced in scope, likely with less bosses than they originally planned for.
9. Blizzard decides to move the most of the teams to MoP early instead of having them work on 4.3. The result is that 4.3 is mostly rehashed art assets with a small boss count, but the trade off is that Blizzard can get MoP launched within a more reasonable time frame.

That's my theory on why Cataclysm patch content has been so slow/awful, and why 4.3 continues the trend. Although, it doesn't really make sense for them to knowingly release 4.3 with poor quality content when SWTOR will be coming out just a few weeks later. I'm guessing they figured they would have a better shot long-term at competing with SWTOR if they release MoP sooner, rather than having 4.3 be really awesome (or having a 4.4) but launching MoP later. That could completely blow up in their faces if SWTOR has good hooks and a decent patch cycle planned.

It's possible that I'm wrong and 5.0/MoP will suck too, which would indicate that Blizzard had moved its resources elsewhere and WoW was no longer top-dog at Blizzard. Certainly the fact that MoP will launch with fewer and shorter 5-mans than Cataclysm is worrying. But I'm really looking forward to panderen, monks, and another expansion focusing on level cap content.

As for the no 'central foe' thing, I think it's a silly complaint. Wrath was the only expansion where the 'central foe' on the box successfully carried the expansion. Illidan was the central foe in TBC, but they didn't really sell it in the quests, and the stories of side-villains like Kael'thas were emphasized almost as much and were sometimes more compelling. Vanilla had no central villain and it never felt like something was missing. Hell, for me personally C'thun was the most intimidating of any villain they've had us fight, and he came out of nowhere and had nothing to do with WC1/2/3.

Deathwing is the central foe in Cataclysm, and he was a lame enemy to have to carry an entire expansion. He caused a bunch of turmoil in the world that you deal with the after-effects of, but otherwise he just flies around lighting zones on fire. The bosses we did fight (Cho'gal, Nef, Al'akir, Rag) didn't really feel like they were building up to something the way they should have. They were all linked to Deathwing in the lore, but that link felt weak and shallow. If they weren't focusing on having a 'central bad guy', we probably would have gotten cooler stories about those bosses that made a little more sense.

I'm looking forward to there being no central villain because it gives Blizzard the opportunity to make every villain feel like a real threat rather than an appetizer before the main course (villain on the box). WoW is running out of pre-existing central villains as well, so I think it's a good thing that they'll be moving onto new lore instead of killing another figure from WC1/2/3.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If they really decided to shift effort from Cataclysm right after 4.0 to MOP, that's a shitty business model.

My theory is if they are willing to half ass Cataclysm for a year, they are willing to do it with MOP.

You're only focusing on one half of the sentence.

"It will not feature a main vilain, and will mainly focus on the Horde vs Alliance war. "

I don't care about a main villain. You don't fight them until the end of the expansion anyway.

4.0 and 4.2 reused old end bosses. Firelands was just a large floating island and the other raid instances had no heart put into the architecture.

They say 5.0 will "Mainly focus on the Horde vs Alliance war." That doesn't indicate good PVE content or the intent to create better raid conent at all.

Rokam

Buyer's remorse to the extreme, all the reasons above, plus something is wrong with my cable, squirrels chewing on the lines outside + shitty installation by Cox makes the game pretty much unplayable. Oh how I hope they decide to eventually allow you to opt out of the annual pass. I know they mentioned working on some way to take back the mount and Diablo 3. *crossing fingers*

PS Fuck Squirrels.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Buyer's remorse to the extreme, all the reasons above, plus something is wrong with my cable, squirrels chewing on the lines outside + shitty installation by Cox makes the game pretty much unplayable. Oh how I hope they decide to eventually allow you to opt out of the annual pass. I know they mentioned working on some way to take back the mount and Diablo 3. *crossing fingers*

PS Fuck Squirrels.

Working on a way to take back something we don't have yet?

I know! Let us opt out and don't give it to us?

Rokam

Working on a way to take back something we don't have yet?

I know! Let us opt out and don't give it to us?

Actually they already gave out diablo 3, that's why it says on your account not available for download. But yeah I agree should be able to opt out before 4.3 hits. I have not been paying attention to the raid shit and just saw the bosses, not looking good for the home team. Oh well this'll be the last year I play WoW, I'm super casual as it is now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Actually they already gave out diablo 3, that's why it says on your account not available for download. But yeah I agree should be able to opt out before 4.3 hits. I have not been paying attention to the raid shit and just saw the bosses, not looking good for the home team. Oh well this'll be the last year I play WoW, I'm super casual as it is now.
I don't see removing something you haven't downloaded that hard.

But...

Between the months I already had (including a free one from scoll of res) and what Diablo 3 is worth converted to game time(something I was going to buy anyway at release), I really come out to being commited to 5 months.

If MOP comes out before October, that takes away a few months.

Playing the Beta will be nice. After 6-7 years of wow and never getting into a Beta yet, I don't want to be pissed about it next year.

So, I think my buyers remorse is removed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm thankful that raids are low priority for me or else i would be pissed off too by the reused old models that they did with 4.3. When the last Deathwing fight is the only unique one, you know something is wrong.

I'm still more interested in transmogrification and LFR than anything else in 4.3.

markot

Banned
My problem is that raids is end game for blizz, its where 99% of their effort seems to go... so what have they been spending their time on if they cant even be assed to do that?! Cause most of the rest of the game isnt getting any love either >.<

Bisnic

My problem is that raids is end game for blizz, its where 99% of their effort seems to go... so what have they been spending their time on if they cant even be assed to do that?! Cause most of the rest of the game isnt getting any love either >.<

Well there is the new 5 mans, the new Darkmoon Faire island, LFR and transmogrification.

I guess all this together feels like about the same as 3.3 which had ICC, the 5 mans and LFD as new stuff. Although ICC had more bosses and an unique zone so i can understand why it feels like its less effort, even if it makes sense for the Deathwing raid to be outside in known zones considering how big he is. Some of you seems to think he should have been in some unknown island hiding for no reason, or just created a floating fortress where he spend his time in his human form just for the sake of having an unique raid zone. I just wish there was AT LEAST unique boss models outside of him to balance that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well there is the new 5 mans, the new Darkmoon Faire island, LFR and transmogrification.

I guess all this together feels like about the same as 3.3 which had ICC, the 5 mans and LFD as new stuff. Although ICC had more bosses and an unique zone so i can understand why it feels like its less effort, even if it makes sense for the Deathwing raid to be outside in known zones considering how big he is. Some of you seems to think he should have been in some unknown island hiding for no reason, or just created a floating fortress where he spend his time in his human form just for the sake of having an unique raid zone. I just wish there was AT LEAST unique boss models outside of him to balance that.
Never said I wanted an unknown island or floating fortress.

Outland and Norhrend were forgotten, now all of the sudden Dragonblight is an important raid zone?

Lazy as hell.

Miletius

Honestly 5 man/casual content consumers are getting the better end of the deal in 4.3. Just the transmog feature alone would be worth a patch (IMO), but you've also got the 3 dungeons, DMF, and looking for raid to boot. It makes sense that Blizzard would focus on adding an awesome raid as a companion for LFR mode but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A lot of how well 4.3 will sit for me will be how well the encounters are tuned and designed in 4.3. If it's more like BoT and less like Firelands (especially post nerf) then this patch will go better.

Honestly I think Blizzard just needs more people on their WoW team. I know their policy is only to hire what they consider extremely talented developers but I think the lack of size is hurting them.

Bisnic

Never said I wanted an unknown island or floating fortress.

Outland and Norhrend were forgotten, now all of the sudden Dragonblight is an important raid zone?

Lazy as hell.

Considering Dragonblight is where all the dragonflights gather... Yes, it make the most sense for a Deathwing raid. Come on, do i have to explain this or have you not been paying attention to the lore at all, no matter how "lorelol" it is?

I'm just curious what you guys wanted as a Deathwing raid if not for some unknown Azeroth island or some floating fortress that was hidden in the clouds or not using a zone that make sense like Dragonblight. They couldnt make some random citadel pop in the middle of Barrens.

Reusing old models for everything except Deathwing? Sure, they have no good excuses for that, that's lazy. But using Dragonblight and the Maelstorm make sense and i totally understand why they went that way.

Miletius

Considering Dragonblight is where all the dragonflights gather... Yes, it make the most sense for a Deathwing raid. Come on, do i have to explain this or have you not been paying attention to the lore at all, no matter how "lorelol" it is?

I'm just curious what you guys wanted as a Deathwing raid if not for some unknown Azeroth island or some floating fortress that was hidden in the clouds or not using a zone that make sense like Dragonblight. They couldnt make some random citadel pop in the middle of Barrens.

Reusing old models for everything except Deathwing? Sure, they have no good excuses for that, that's lazy. But using Dragonblight and the Maelstorm make sense and i totally understand why they went that way.

I think Dragonblight makes sense from the lore. But it's always mildly sucky when a raid zone comes out and it's mostly the same zone from patches ago with minor changes to make it look like an event is "happening." Plus Dragonblight has been the home of B-Tier raids since Wrath -- doesn't sit right with me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't see removing something you haven't downloaded that hard.

But...

Between the months I already had (including a free one from scoll of res) and what Diablo 3 is worth converted to game time(something I was going to buy anyway at release), I really come out to being commited to 5 months.

If MOP comes out before October, that takes away a few months.

Playing the Beta will be nice. After 6-7 years of wow and never getting into a Beta yet, I don't want to be pissed about it next year.

So, I think my buyers remorse is removed.

It's 15 bucks a month - I'll live with it since I always want to get into betas anyways

I think Dragonblight makes sense from the lore. But it's always mildly sucky when a raid zone comes out and it's mostly the same zone from patches ago with minor changes to make it look like an event is "happening." Plus Dragonblight has been the home of B-Tier raids since Wrath -- doesn't sit right with me.
If they launched this post ICC and replaced Deathwing with Sinestra and said it was the pre-Cataclysm dungeon, the entire dungeon would have been possible with no new assets. It seems stupid to launch a Northrend dungeon in Cataclysm and it isn't like they didn't just sit around in a room and have the option to NOT reuse Wyrmrest.

I don't care at all if the boss models are unique, I care whether the set pieces are cool/raid encounters are cool.

The problelm is that the setpieces are old and the raid encounters are not interesting so far. I mean, you fight Purple Ozruk outside Wyrmrest (same assets as Northrend Wyrmrest), then you fight Purple Faceless inside Iso'rath, then purple Vezax inside Iso'rath-2. Then you fight an Orc in shaman gear inside Malygos lair, and a Tauren on the Lootship before confronting Deathwing's head at the Maelstrom.

the thing that's actually kind of nice for me, taking away buyer's remorse on wow annual is that by paying for wow for a year, I've taken the whole "oh I have to get my money's worth out of my game time" out of the equation. I know I'm going to be paying for it for the next year whether I play it or not, so I feel a little less bad if I decide to spend a week playing Saint's Row instead. It used to be that I'd pay for like 2 or 3 months and then get tired of it and cancel, and if I didn't play it all the time, I felt like I was wasting money (esp. if I bought other games during that time).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the thing that's actually kind of nice for me, taking away buyer's remorse on wow annual is that by paying for wow for a year, I've taken the whole "oh I have to get my money's worth out of my game time" out of the equation. I know I'm going to be paying for it for the next year whether I play it or not, so I feel a little less bad if I decide to spend a week playing Saint's Row instead. It used to be that I'd pay for like 2 or 3 months and then get tired of it and cancel, and if I didn't play it all the time, I felt like I was wasting money (esp. if I bought other games during that time).
I don't really get why people feel so bad about not playing WoW, it's only 15 bucks a month. That's not really enough for me to feel angst.

Bisnic

Lol JC dailies. I gave up on them when i started having over 20 JC tokens and no recipes i wanted or was worth it.

Angry Grimace

Also, two of the three 5 mans are Dragonblight, one straight up the same with some Iso'rath's coming out of mountains you can't get to, and one of them the same with different lighting and stuff in the background where you can't reach. Well of Eternity is somewhat new, but a lot of it is recolored Dire Maul assets.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Lol JC dailies. I gave up on them when i started having over 20 JC tokens and no recipes i wanted or was worth it.
1 obsidium cleaver dropped for us near the end of our raiding season. Dropped 40k total so my DK could have 378 weapons.

Next tier is looking to be BOE weapons again and there will probably be more profession mounts next expansion.

Spent a month buying ore and cutting 30% of the gem patterns and made 100k. The more tokens I get the more things I can cut. And then there's epic gem patterns coming soon.

So, a quick daily is retarded to miss. But when you work 40-60 hours a week things you miss daily add up.

I've been missing Inscription research, Alchemy dailies.

Angry Grimace

1 obsidium cleaver dropped for us near the end of our raiding season. Dropped 40k total so my DK could have 378 weapons.

Next tier is looking to be BOE weapons again and there will probably be more profession mounts next expansion.

Spent a month buying ore and cutting 30% of the gem patterns and made 100k. The more tokens I get the more things I can cut. And then there's epic gem patterns coming soon.

So, a quick daily is retarded to miss. But when you work 40-60 hours a week things you miss daily add up.

BOE weapons? I don't know what you mean, but the first faceroll boss has 1H strength weapons this time, actually.

I raided a pug with a Frost DK with a Cleaver and a Scalper and they did 14K DPS lol (in all fairness this was a T11 raid where they were still finding as many ways as possible to fuck melee)

Number45

This is me. Despite promising myself I'm going to play it casually (as in terms of time, rather than content) I always end up playing it to the exclusion of all else. :s

I then cancel for as much as a year and start all over again on a new realm (perhaps transferring a character for the monies or a useful profession).

Bisnic

I've been missing Inscription research, Alchemy dailies.

Its still a waste of time for me, i dont do the whole "AH game" or make a bunch of gems or glyphs or 365 BS weapons or other stuff to sell. I have 100k gold with all my alts combined. Why should i waste so much time for more gold that i dont even need in the first place? Do YOU personally really need all that gold anyway? What's the point in having 200k gold if you never use it?

I would rather spend that time playing another game or another alt. That's fun. Not trying to get another 50k gold i dont need.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Its still a waste of time for me, i dont do the whole "AH game" or make a bunch of gems or glyphs or 365 BS weapons or other stuff to sell. I have 100k gold with all my alts combined. Why should i waste so much time for more gold that i dont even need in the first place? Do YOU personally really need all that gold anyway? What's the point in having 200k gold if you never use it?

I would rather spend that time playing another game or another alt. That's fun. Not trying to get another 50k gold i dont need.
It's not fun. It's an obligation.

I spent Feburary-October NOT playing the AH at all. I also missed a lot of JC dailies.

I have 10 alts that share 100k. It can be drained easily.

1 minute buying a bunch of ore. 30 minutes prospecting and cutting. A few minutes a few times a day checking for undercuts and relisting ='s 100k a month with 30% of the gems.

The more tokens I get, the more gems I can cut.

JC daily takes a minute to log onto my bank alt and get three gems, sprinkle stardust on people. The elemental ooze is rare.

But, I haven't done it for a week or two and feel bad cause the 100k wont last forever.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I could probably have a cool million if I spent this whole expansion dedicating an 30 minutes a day to JC auction housing and be set for life.

But I only did 3 months worth of it, have 6 85's, and 5 have crappy mounts.

Bisnic

It's not fun. It's an obligation.

I spent Feburary-October NOT playing the AH at all. I also missed a lot of JC dailies.

I have 10 alts that share 100k. It can be drained easily.

1 minute buying a bunch of ore. 30 minutes prospecting and cutting. A few minutes a few times a day checking for undercuts and relisting ='s 100k a month with 30% of the gems.

The more tokens I get, the more gems I can cut.

JC daily takes a minute to log onto my bank alt and get three gems, sprinkle stardust on people. The elemental ooze is rare.

But, I haven't done it for a week or two and feel bad cause the 100k wont last forever.

Its not an obligation, you're just forcing it on yourself. If i dont do it and still manage to have tons of gold that never seems to go down and still manage to have a geared main(sure he's not heroic raid geared, but whatever) and alts with blue gems and good enchants, then so can you.

The trick would be to have alts with all the professions. Need glyphs? Check your scribe alt. Need gems? Check your JC alt. Need enchants? Check your enchanter alt. Etc. Who needs all that gold when you got the alts for your needs? The only time i use that gold is when im feeling lazy and dont want to farm for 20 herbs on my herbalist or when i need elemental mats.

No need to play this AH game that you feel is an obligation when its not even one.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Its not an obligation, you're just forcing it on yourself. If i dont do it and still manage to have tons of gold that never seems to go down and still manage to have a geared main(sure he's not heroic raid geared, but whatever) and alts with blue gems and good enchants, then so can you.

The trick would be to have alts with all the professions. Need glyphs? Check your scribe alt. Need gems? Check your JC alt. Need enchants? Check your enchanter alt. Etc. Who needs all that gold when you got the alts for your needs? The only time i use that gold is when im feeling lazy and dont want to farm for 20 herbs on my herbalist or when i need elemental mats.

No need to play this AH game that you feel is an obligation when its not even one.
I have all the professions.

A few profession mounts in MOP or right now and a few BOE weapons if they are BIS next tier ='s 0 gold as I already mentioned.

Bisnic

I have all the professions.

A few profession mounts in MOP or right now and a few BOE weapons if they are BIS next tier ='s 0 gold as I already mentioned.

Oh i see, you're one of those who are willing to buy weapons for 30k gold when you could just raid for them. Or pay 65k for the drake transformation "mount". Even for your alts.

I suppose if you're one of those players, it might feel like an obligation. Good thing it's a decision you made, and not a real obligation. Or else everyone would be doing this.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh i see, you're one of those who are willing to buy weapons for 30k gold when you could just raid for them. Or pay 65k for the drake transformation "mount". Even for your alts.

I suppose if you're one of those players, it might feel like an obligation. Good thing it's a decision you made, and not a real obligation. Or else everyone would be doing this.
I already said only one Obsidium Cleaver dropped near the end of our raiding season.

I guess you're not reading my posts so I'm going to stop reading yours.

By the way, choosing between lelveing all the professions and making gold is an obligation and equal in time investment.

Angry Grimace

I've never seen an Obsidium Cleaver drop and raided Firelands many times. It's the only 1H strength weapon in Firelands at all and it's a random BOE trash drop. Even when I was raiding in a sucky guild that couldn't down much, we could at least down the trash, so it's not for lack of opportunities.

Bisnic

I didn't know about that. I just assumed he was talking about some 2h BOE weapon where he could just save the gold and get a BOP drop from a boss instead. Doesn't help that wowhead is blocked at work.

Rokal

I've never seen an Obsidium Cleaver drop and raided Firelands many times. It's the only 1H strength weapon in Firelands at all and it's a random BOE trash drop. Even when I was raiding in a sucky guild that couldn't down much, we could at least down the trash, so it's not for lack of opportunities.

Our DK had to buy two of them. We've never seen one drop and we haven't missed a week since Firelands came out. Our guild bank did fund the purchases, but it was still a shitty situation.

Angry Grimace

I have to kind of laugh when people refuse to buy the Diablo package/bemoan the wasted money, but then go buy the Zelda limited Motion+ package despite it being quite clear that there is nothing else to play for Wii beyond Zelda and even assuming you had a backlog, nothing else uses Motion+

markot

Banned
I have to kind of laugh when people refuse to buy the Diablo package/bemoan the wasted money, but then go buy the Zelda limited Motion+ package despite it being quite clear that there is nothing else to play for Wii beyond Zelda and even assuming you had a backlog, nothing else uses Motion+

durp!

Number45

Number45

Man, it looks so weird seeing four specs for the Druid. Thinking of levelling Feral after this hunter, but I guess that'll be done before MoP hits.

Angry Grimace

Mage seems very incomplete. If you were a Frost Mage PvE you would do nothing but Frostbolt 100% of the time.

Number45

A lot of these talent choices seem, to me (semi-casual) at least, to be heavily PvP focused.

EDIT: Is that the first time Cold Snap is available outside of the Frost tree? Going to help other Mage specs for PvP I would think?

Mairu

Talents for a Prot Pally are pure garbage.

EDIT: Agreed, they do seem more PvP focused than PvE.

agree on both counts

I realize they're trying to avoid "optimal" pve builds but it's kinda weird. I guess I'll have to wait until the beta at least anyways as I'm sure they'll all undergo major changes by then.

Jira

agree on both counts

I realize they're trying to avoid "optimal" pve builds but it's kinda weird. I guess I'll have to wait until the beta at least anyways as I'm sure they'll all undergo major changes by then.

Avoiding the optimal build is impossible, I applaud them for trying but honestly those spec choices don't make me feel like I'm really benefiting from them as a Prot Pally. When one of my best choices in a tier is getting rid of the CD from my Hand spells, they've done something wrong.

Angry Grimace

Avoiding the optimal build is impossible, I applaud them for trying but honestly those spec choices don't make me feel like I'm really benefiting from them as a Prot Pally. When one of my best choices in a tier is getting rid of the CD from my Hand spells, they've done something wrong.

I'm personally going to prefer whatever requires me to do the least work in any spec, i.e. I'm not taking Ardent Defender unless it's coolguy WLK version where I have to do nothing to get it to work. I'm going Sacred Shield. Same reason I'll choose Runic Corruption on a DK - because I don't want to either have to spend any time monitoring randomly refreshing runes or pushing buttons to refresh them. There's already too many buttons to press.

Top Bottom