• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alter Time for Mages is fucking ridiculous given that every spec can obtain Cauterize.

_Xenon_

Banned
As a pvp fire mage I absolutely love these changes.

1.5 sec fireball, Imp CS, imp blink, ice barrier, deep freeze, cauterize buff (40% before now 60%, leaves you 20%) for everybody = holy fucking shit

And new stuffs such as ice ward and alter time are definitely gonna make some people cry

lordmrw

I really want to see some new skills for Rogues, not just repackaged versions of talents or abilities I already have. Come on, throw us a god damn bone already.

Miletius

Warlock spells seem interesting. Of particular note is that now each spec has their own custom Bane:

Affliction: BoA
Demo: BoD
Destro: BoH (reworked so that it duplicates the next 4 direct damage spells on a target).

For PvE this is my thought as for the default talent choices:

15) Toss up, I'd probably pick Soul Leech for regular fights Dark Regen for fights where there is a healing intense phase.
30) Shadowfury
45) Soul Link or Sacrificial Pact. I actually really like the idea of Sacrificial Pact I just don't think it works on this level.
60) Burning Rush is a very slight advantage, so I think this could probably be anything. LOL at instant fear wouldn't that wreck PvP?
75) Probably spec dependent but I'd wager the one where you summon 2 demons will probably be the lesser of the 3
90) They all kinda suck, but I'd probably pick Kil'jaidens cunning

aktham

I'm going to start leveling a DK (in between fail randoms on my main). I have the 2 heirloom haste trinkets, axe ,dps chest and dps shoulders. I will probably level as frost and blood (to tank randoms once in a while). What is my rotation going to be vs single mob/AoE? What are the best glyphs while leveling?

The information I found by searching all seems to be outdated and from 2008 and 2009.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm going to start leveling a DK (in between fail randoms on my main). I have the 2 heirloom haste trinkets, axe ,dps chest and dps shoulders. I will probably level as frost and blood (to tank randoms once in a while). What is my rotation going to be vs single mob/AoE? What are the best glyphs while leveling?

The information I found by searching all seems to be outdated and from 2008 and 2009.

I've been tanking a lot with my DK while lvling(only lvl 80 though), for AOE i usually try to get 2 diseases on my main target, spam blood boil or heart strike once(depending on how many im fighting) so they dont go after the others right at the beginning, use pestilence to spread my 2 diseases, and continue spamming blood boil or heart strike while using Death strike when available to help the healer. I still dont see much use for runic power other than depleting it for death coil or rune strike when im at 100.

Single target, i just put 2 diseases and spam Heart Strike, Death Strike and Rune Strike.

But im not some expert on blood tanking, so someone else probably have better tips. Didn't have any issues tanking 5 mans the way i do so far though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Warlock spells seem interesting. Of particular note is that now each spec has their own custom Bane:

Affliction: BoA
Demo: BoD
Destro: BoH (reworked so that it duplicates the next 4 direct damage spells on a target).

For PvE this is my thought as for the default talent choices:

15) Toss up, I'd probably pick Soul Leech for regular fights Dark Regen for fights where there is a healing intense phase.
30) Shadowfury
45) Soul Link or Sacrificial Pact. I actually really like the idea of Sacrificial Pact I just don't think it works on this level.
60) Burning Rush is a very slight advantage, so I think this could probably be anything. LOL at instant fear wouldn't that wreck PvP?
75) Probably spec dependent but I'd wager the one where you summon 2 demons will probably be the lesser of the 3
90) They all kinda suck, but I'd probably pick Kil'jaidens cunning
Destro doesn't need to be more complicated =/

I've been tanking a lot with my DK while lvling(only lvl 80 though), for AOE i usually try to get 2 diseases on my main target, spam blood boil or heart strike once(depending on how many im fighting) so they dont go after the others right at the beginning, use pestilence to spread my 2 diseases, and continue spamming blood boil or heart strike while using Death strike when available to help the healer. I still dont see much use for runic power other than depleting it for death coil or rune strike when im at 100.

Single target, i just put 2 diseases and spam Heart Strike, Death Strike and Rune Strike.

But im not some expert on blood tanking, so someone else probably have better tips. Didn't have any issues tanking 5 mans the way i do so far though.
Leveling tanking rarely requires more than spamming Heart Strike, but it gets dicey close to 85 when you have mobs that could feasibly kill you. The diseases aren't important because of their threat, but because they provide damage reduction through their associated debuffs.

Symbiosis is the best thing ever.
I'd have to see it in action to agree. Maybe you can Dark Sim Symbiosis, and then cast Symbiosis on the druid, who then Dark Sims Symbiosis
qtyVI.gif

Miletius

Destro doesn't need to be more complicated =/

I agree. They need to up that number by a lot -- or make it proc based but on for a good time (like 1 minute) .

But it remains to be seen what they are doing to do with Improved Soul Fire and Destro. I noticed that the level 85+ ability for Destro warlocks was a pet connection where pet attacks lowered the cast time of soul fire by .1 second per attack. That could be interesting.

TheYanger

I would just level as blood in general, it's easier and you have like 0 chance of death, frost requires level 70ish to get the talents and abilities to compete even damagewise with blood.
There's no rotation for a DK, like the energy classes very few of your abilities have cooldowns and instead your 'cooldown' on abilities is based on your resource system: So move your runes to the middle of your screen or somewhere useful! Runes/RP are the only things you need to know 90% of the time to know what you're going to do.

Diseases will reduce the damage you take as a tank (frost fever is 20% attack speed reduction, blood plague/scarlet fever is a 10% physical damage reduction), and they increase the damage modifier on your blood boil and heart strikes.

Death Strike is your single damage beast attack, you need to get improved death strike near the bottom of the tree before this is true, but once you do it hits for a crapload. It heals you based on your recently taken damage, so when tanking it's sort of like a mini cooldown every time you land one.

Heart strike is your bread and butter attack for levelling early on, and it's one of the keys to instance tanking, it works like the old cleave/chain lightning mechanics and will hit up to 2 additional targets next to your primary target for less damage each 'jump'.

Rune Strike is your RP dump. Early on it's not as important except when you lack runes to do anything else. Later on this becomes very important, and it always hits pretty hard.

Solo questing: Diseases won't matter except for long-lived elite mobs. Generally you can just DS/HS/RS things to death and never stop killing.

Tanking: Put diseases up, pestilence, blood boil (or heart strike, if it's 3 or less mobs). Death runes should be mostly ignored and treated like FU runes for more death strikes still. As you get comfortable with tanking you'll learn to use them for extra heart strikes or blood boils so you can pull packs faster, but fundamentally death strike is more important. Usually you pull a group with death and decay, concentrate it to hit as many mobs as possible, charge in and death grip casters or ranged attackers, diseases, pestilence, hack away at things. D&D has a long cooldown, so when it's not up running in with a blood boil is generally sufficient to hold aggro for at least a second or two while you 'set up' diseases. Don't be afraid of blowing cooldowns on groups, to survive. Death knights have lots of CDs and people can be tentative about them. I throw up bone shield constantly between packs in 5 mans, and vamp blood is up every couple pulls at worst. These will save your life. Rune Tap will proc for free (It's the 'top' proc symbol, when you take an HP dip) and you should get used to hitting it anytime that happens, it's basicalyl a free healthstone every time you get beat down.

I'm sure there's more, but that should be your basic setup. Later on you'll get runic empowerment which causes your rune strikes to recharge your spent runes, and is an important part of death knight mechanics (Spend runes to get RP, spend RP to get runes, profit), but I think it's like level 70 something. Have fun! just remember runes > looking at hotkeys. Your hotkeys will lie to you, andit's a common newbie DK mistake. Your runes are what tell you waht you can or cannot do.

Angry Grimace

I would just level as blood in general, it's easier and you have like 0 chance of death, frost requires level 70ish to get the talents and abilities to compete even damagewise with blood.
There's no rotation for a DK, like the energy classes very few of your abilities have cooldowns and instead your 'cooldown' on abilities is based on your resource system: So move your runes to the middle of your screen or somewhere useful! Runes/RP are the only things you need to know 90% of the time to know what you're going to do.

Diseases will reduce the damage you take as a tank (frost fever is 20% attack speed reduction, blood plague/scarlet fever is a 10% physical damage reduction), and they increase the damage modifier on your blood boil and heart strikes.

Death Strike is your single damage beast attack, you need to get improved death strike near the bottom of the tree before this is true, but once you do it hits for a crapload. It heals you based on your recently taken damage, so when tanking it's sort of like a mini cooldown every time you land one.

Heart strike is your bread and butter attack for levelling early on, and it's one of the keys to instance tanking, it works like the old cleave/chain lightning mechanics and will hit up to 2 additional targets next to your primary target for less damage each 'jump'.

Rune Strike is your RP dump. Early on it's not as important except when you lack runes to do anything else. Later on this becomes very important, and it always hits pretty hard.

Solo questing: Diseases won't matter except for long-lived elite mobs. Generally you can just DS/HS/RS things to death and never stop killing.

Tanking: Put diseases up, pestilence, blood boil (or heart strike, if it's 3 or less mobs). Death runes should be mostly ignored and treated like FU runes for more death strikes still. As you get comfortable with tanking you'll learn to use them for extra heart strikes or blood boils so you can pull packs faster, but fundamentally death strike is more important. Usually you pull a group with death and decay, concentrate it to hit as many mobs as possible, charge in and death grip casters or ranged attackers, diseases, pestilence, hack away at things. D&D has a long cooldown, so when it's not up running in with a blood boil is generally sufficient to hold aggro for at least a second or two while you 'set up' diseases. Don't be afraid of blowing cooldowns on groups, to survive. Death knights have lots of CDs and people can be tentative about them. I throw up bone shield constantly between packs in 5 mans, and vamp blood is up every couple pulls at worst. These will save your life. Rune Tap will proc for free (It's the 'top' proc symbol, when you take an HP dip) and you should get used to hitting it anytime that happens, it's basicalyl a free healthstone every time you get beat down.

I'm sure there's more, but that should be your basic setup. Later on you'll get runic empowerment which causes your rune strikes to recharge your spent runes, and is an important part of death knight mechanics (Spend runes to get RP, spend RP to get runes, profit), but I think it's like level 70 something. Have fun! just remember runes > looking at hotkeys. Your hotkeys will lie to you, andit's a common newbie DK mistake. Your runes are what tell you waht you can or cannot do.
All true, but in terms of questing and such, I tend to default to Frost since On a Pale Horse substantially increases your mounted speed.

The biggest problem I find with trying to level Blood is that you'll just end up defaulting to Unholy Presence and the Dark Succor glyph kind of replaces a lot of the utility you gained being blood in the first place.

Angry Grimace

Quick question: Obsidium Cleaver

Keep or sell at this point? My main is a paladin tank

Drop it like it's hot.

The new 5 mans drop next week, which have identical item levels. Make some quick cash, is what I'm saying.

Duki

Banned
dual spec with frost and blood

frost kills shit really quickly and heals ok with ds and glyphing

blood for when you want to kill more than one thing at once

wish blood was still the dps spec :(

TheYanger

dual spec with frost and blood

frost kills shit really quickly and heals ok with ds and glyphing

blood for when you want to kill more than one thing at once

wish blood was still the dps spec :(

While levelling, blood does comparable dps to frost (and more than unholy) in terms of pure killing speed. Its non-reliance on diseases is the key.

I haven't played WoW in awhile (since last Mar) and I just resubbed and am planning on rolling a new character and playing as a Discipline priest.

Since I've never gone that route before, in general when it comes to the priest class, is it true that Holy=Healing, Shadow=DPS, and Discipline=Hybrid Spec but mainly PVP focused?

YakiSOBA

I've got some JP saved up for 4.3, will probably buy pants + chest T12 when I can post-patch, but question:

Will T12 be useless with the new 5-man loot drops?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of a good site that has guides (video or written) for all cata dungeons, normal and heroic, and are quick and easy to understand?
I ran Throne of Tides the once on my shaman ages ago and pretty much lost interest in rerunning anything else 'cause I was sick of the grind, so I'm out of the loop a bit.
I recently watched the raid guides from learntoraid so anything similar to that would be awesome. The ones I've looked at are from beta (first impression videos) or ones that solely focus on the bosses and skip over any trash that might be important.

I'm also looking for some gear guides for all classes and specs. Just stuff like which stats each class values over the next etc etc Preferably from the one place.
I can never find stuff like that in the one place so it's a pain to have to scour the net in search of them.

Trust me, I'm currently looking for this stuff myself but it'll take forever lol. Got so many pages open its ridiculous.

Any help would be awesome.

Number45

Anyone know of a good site that has guides (video or written) for all cata dungeons, normal and heroic, and are quick and easy to understand?
I ran Throne of Tides the once on my shaman ages ago and pretty much lost interest in rerunning anything else 'cause I was sick of the grind, so I'm out of the loop a bit.
I recently watched the raid guides from learntoraid so anything similar to that would be awesome. The ones I've looked at are from beta (first impression videos) or ones that solely focus on the bosses and skip over any trash that might be important.

I'm also looking for some gear guides for all classes and specs. Just stuff like which stats each class values over the next etc etc Preferably from the one place.
I can never find stuff like that in the one place so it's a pain to have to scour the net in search of them.

Trust me, I'm currently looking for this stuff myself but it'll take forever lol. Got so many pages open its ridiculous.

Any help would be awesome.
Yeah, I tend to use the main EJ thread for class info. I posted this earlier though, which seems like a nice well made guide to the basics of a lot of popular classes/specs/roles.

A friend pointed me in the direction of this YT channel today. I haven't watched any of them yet, but they sound ideal for just starting out as a character/spec/role. :)

I haven't played WoW in awhile (since last Mar) and I just resubbed and am planning on rolling a new character and playing as a Discipline priest.

Since I've never gone that route before, in general when it comes to the priest class, is it true that Holy=Healing, Shadow=DPS, and Discipline=Hybrid Spec but mainly PVP focused?

Holy is definitely raid healing - it won't be near as effective anywhere else (and completely lol-worthy in PvP). Shadow is DPS, good for PvP and PvE - sort of serves as 0.5 of a healer. Disc is kind of odd right now, but I think it's the most interesting. Good as a tank healer, or almost a true hybrid DPS/heals, and good at PvP too.

Duki

Banned
While levelling, blood does comparable dps to frost (and more than unholy) in terms of pure killing speed. Its non-reliance on diseases is the key.

forst doesnt need diseases while leveling either, just pull with hb and mash obliterate and frost strike

while i played it always killed single targets quicker for me

TheYanger

forst doesnt need diseases while leveling either, just pull with hb and mash obliterate and frost strike

while i played it always killed single targets quicker for me

Right, but it tanks its potential dps more. The only reason frost is even faster at higher levels is because of the mount speed bonus, in terms of raw killing speed it's not faster for grinding out quest mobs.

As a comparison, without diseases my obliterate on a target dummy hits for just over 12k (I'm dual wielding so that's the added damage of both hands). A death strike hits for close to 18. Death strike also has a 30% higher crit rate, and with the glyph does up to 40% more damage depending on your RP (and it's easy to just sit at like 50 or more rp while questing). Blood damage is no joke on un-diseased mobs compared to the other specs.

Oh, and your runes regen faster as blood than any other spec, enhancing your unstoppable killing power!

Angry Grimace

Right, but it tanks its potential dps more. The only reason frost is even faster at higher levels is because of the mount speed bonus, in terms of raw killing speed it's not faster for grinding out quest mobs.

As a comparison, without diseases my obliterate on a target dummy hits for just over 12k (I'm dual wielding so that's the added damage of both hands). A death strike hits for close to 18. Death strike also has a 30% higher crit rate, and with the glyph does up to 40% more damage depending on your RP (and it's easy to just sit at like 50 or more rp while questing). Blood damage is no joke on un-diseased mobs compared to the other specs.

It's not even going to be questionable what to level as in MOP since On a Pale Horse becomes a class ability.

That's the kind of thing that might be kind of cool in the new model; not having to skip stuff like that due to lack of points (there aren't any PvE builds that take it unless they really never ever interrupt and don't want Endless Winter or RPM)

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I tend to use the main EJ thread for class info. I posted this earlier though, which seems like a nice well made guide to the basics of a lot of popular classes/specs/roles.

Cheers, I actually had that youtube link bookmarked from before but hadn't gotten around to checking it out just yet. Downloaded his holy pally and ele shaman guides just then, really great. Seems fairly informative and it's cool being able to see him play which helps get a better idea of what he's on about.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any confirmation yet for the release of the patch? Im already busy enough with Skyrim and Zelda and soon Mario Kart 7, it's going to be hard to balance all that once the patch is released.

aktham

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Tandenengine/talent/primary
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Tandenengine/talent/secondary

Honestly blood and frost are killing things just as fast (right now).

As frost: Icy touch, plague strike, (blood/can't think of the name) strike, Frost strike = dead mob. Frost strike procs and I can pretty much 1 shot next mob.

As blood: Icy touch, plague strike, heart strike = mob dead if not then death strike kills mob

Do these talents/glyphs seem ok?

TheYanger

You can probably get away with a but more dps stuff in blood for many levels, like abomination might and blood caked blade, but imp death strike is definitely your first priority. In frost I would drop lichborne and endless might for merciless combat. Also it glyph is less good than obliterate and eventually howling blast.

You should ignore diseases as either while questing, they just eat global cooldowns compared to hitting death strike or obliterate.

Angry Grimace

For example, the events of the cataclysm put in motion some major story developments for Thrall, who’d been sitting relatively idle in Orgrimmar since the events of Warcraft III. He was forced to choose between his role as warchief and as a shaman who could potentially save the world. He set aside the warchief’s mantle and, with your help, he’ll play an instrumental role in bringing an end to Deathwing.

You mean, he kills Deathwing for you the same way Tirion Fordring basically defeated Arthas for you. I can't wait until Chen Stormstout just kills the last boss in MOP for you.

Alex

Illidan was essentially the same too, I always assumed it's less to do with any desire for the narrative and more to shut up lore whiners. Major characters are glorified KSers.

"YOU STOLE MY PENTA KILL BRO"

Cipherr

As a pvp fire mage I absolutely love these changes.

1.5 sec fireball, Imp CS, imp blink, ice barrier, deep freeze, cauterize buff (40% before now 60%, leaves you 20%) for everybody = holy fucking shit

And new stuffs such as ice ward and alter time are definitely gonna make some people cry

Just the combo of Blink, Ice Barriers, Cauterize and Altertime alone are going to make for some absolutely hilarious to watch moments in WoW PVP tourneys. I can almost see it now. Insane.

Alex

I don't think there's anything wrong with the talents, it's the dungeon and encounter design that can't support anything more than straight up HPS/DPS/Mitigation that's the problem. I don't think it was the challenge pissing anyone off it was just the length and stressful nature of LFD.

How cool would it be to have dungeons where all of that shit in the talent pane was put to use. I'd love to see that and I hope they keep going down the route of more intimate and reuseable content in Pandaria. Procedural generation and things like rankings, gradings, leader boards and rad rewards that scale to it (and perhaps weekly rewards and the like) would all be great.

thatbox

Banned
Not me. It's already annoying having to swap glyphs on a per-encounter basis. I don't want to have to spend three minutes before every boss making sure everyone has switched to the right talents.

Angry Grimace

Remember when Blizzard had this awesome plan to make you get more hit rating every tier =V

Alex

Not me. It's already annoying having to swap glyphs on a per-encounter basis. I don't want to have to spend three minutes before every boss making sure everyone has switched to the right talents.

Yeah, a bad glyph system is a good reason to leave huge swaths of player abilities and talents as Pvp only. :p I'm glad they're cleaning up some abilities, though, hope they keep going and removing/combining things

ampere

We had our 25 raid canceled this week for holiday, so I ran a 10 player achievement run tonight!

Woo :D
wqcG6.jpg

Sexy firehawks. Still haven't given heroic rag a pull, hell we haven't even tried Sinestra. Oh well, looking forward to the new bosses in the next week or two.

thatbox

Banned
Yeah, a bad glyph system is a good reason to leave huge swaths of player abilities and talents as Pvp only. :p I'm glad they're cleaning up some abilities, though, hope they keep going and removing/combining things
There are a lot of specs that don't have to glyph swap at all, so maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to have to swap talents before every boss fight.

Top Bottom