• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finished DS H 25 today.

Madness was extremely disappointing, and it wasn't going to be any different without the 5% nerf. It's kind of sad that they decided to nerf spine during the same week that the 5% raidwide nerf started, since it was the only fight previously that was actually really difficult on all the members in the raid.

Oh well, time to enjoy 1 day clears until MoP ;|

SIX MORE MONTHS!!!!!!!!!

:(

But seriously - congrats on the kill man, I have a feeling I won't be getting it. :(

Rokam

Blizzard said:
To be clear, we have no current plans to take action against players who experienced this bug last night unless we come across any extreme cases. The error was ours and we haven’t seen any evidence -- so far -- of players excessively exploiting the bug. We reserve the right to take action if we do find evidence of players crossing the line to repeatedly exploit this bug for major in-game advantages.

Nice to them not doing a mass banning, especially because the only solution was running a pally w/o a seal or not bringing one. Unfair to those players. And it'll be pretty easy to spot the ones that really exploited it.

Rokam

So if I'm using a 64 bit OS what's the benefit of using the 64 bit WoW client?I don't know much about this sort of thing.

Alchemy

So if I'm using a 64 bit OS what's the benefit of using the 64 bit WoW client?I don't know much about this sort of thing.

Assuming the client is built to support it (usually 64bit versions are if they're differentiated) they have access to more memory so you should see better performance.

TheYanger

Finished DS H 25 today.

Madness was extremely disappointing, and it wasn't going to be any different without the 5% nerf. It's kind of sad that they decided to nerf spine during the same week that the 5% raidwide nerf started, since it was the only fight previously that was actually really difficult on all the members in the raid.

Oh well, time to enjoy 1 day clears until MoP ;|

Just got it earlier tonight ourselves, almost had it in just a single night of attempts (hell, we almost killed it on like our 10th attempt ever. Fight is a joke). Kind of a disappointment. Fight is fun but just so simple and lightly tuned in comparison to spine.

Also, that ret paladin bug was pretty fun, but I'm curious what they'll do with some of the guilds that got legitimate progression with it. Not many but some certainly did if you check logs. Cause 10 mans ALWAYS bring 3 rets to progress /eyeroll. Probably nothing I guess. Oh well.

strafer

Found an old screenshot on one of my old harddrives.

HKVdp.jpg

dat price

Audioboxer

Looking for some advice guys. Going to start up my sub again after about a 8 month hiatus. I've played WoW on and off for about 4-5 years, only ever on alliance, and up until the last year or so of me playing, always went DPS (I tried a Warrior tank up to about level 55).

Wanting to go a priest for something completely different, and to give healing a shot. I always made an awesome medic in TF2 :p

I'm torn as to whether I should carry on my alliance loving, or go horde and experience WoW 'all over again' to an extent. My worry though is how much pressure would that put on me being a first time healer, and not knowing horde instances or cities? I'm looking to have a fun, laid back and enjoyable experience from going back into WoW, not unnecessary pressures leading to a drop of my sub again.

Horde GAF convert me, alliance GAF reassure me I guess? :p

I have heard horde classes are more favourable to priests (especially if I try some PVP - Never been a PVP player), but I can safely say I don't give a rats ass about min/maxing and 5% differences in my healing/DPS output.

idlewild_

HKVdp.jpg

dat price

prior to that the training used to be super cheap (like 100g or something,) and every mount cost 1k gold. I remember buying 4 or 5 epic mounts and then blizzard announced they were swapping to the training costs being high and the mounts cheap.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
prior to that the training used to be super cheap (like 100g or something,) and every mount cost 1k gold. I remember buying 4 or 5 epic mounts and then blizzard announced they were swapping to the training costs being high and the mounts cheap.

I've never heard that, how long ago was it?

Sarcasm

Audίoboxer;34805216 said:
Looking for some advice guys. Going to start up my sub again after about a 8 month hiatus. I've played WoW on and off for about 4-5 years, only ever on alliance, and up until the last year or so of me playing, always went DPS (I tried a Warrior tank up to about level 55).

Wanting to go a priest for something completely different, and to give healing a shot. I always made an awesome medic in TF2 :p

I'm torn as to whether I should carry on my alliance loving, or go horde and experience WoW 'all over again' to an extent. My worry though is how much pressure would that put on me being a first time healer, and not knowing horde instances or cities? I'm looking to have a fun, laid back and enjoyable experience from going back into WoW, not unnecessary pressures leading to a drop of my sub again.

Horde GAF convert me, alliance GAF reassure me I guess? :p

I have heard horde classes are more favourable to priests (especially if I try some PVP - Never been a PVP player), but I can safely say I don't give a rats ass about min/maxing and 5% differences in my healing/DPS output.

Instance wise I think it doesn't matter what faction you are lol. You now can make horde and alliance on same server, even if PvP. They made transferring items even more annoying, it can tell if its yours even if a different faction. If your interested in Horde do it. Did you play a new toon after the re-doing of the zones?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Audίoboxer;34805216 said:
Looking for some advice guys.

Honestly, if you want one good reason not to play Alliance is Worgen sniffing. Every time I log in to check the AH the sniffs and snorts are a quick reminder why I'm not playing Alliance now. :p

The only instance you may not have played is Ragefire Chasm. That's the Horde city instance, much like Stockades for Alliance but it's the earliest instances in the game. If you've used Dungeon Finder at all at low levels there's a good chance you've already ran it.

Horde cities have their quirks but aren't too hard to navigate. There's always the city guards scattered around to help out.

I can't even remember the Alliance racials, the Horde ones aren't brilliant but I do love the Blood Elf one, an 8yd aoe interrupt. Comes in handy in pvp especially for a priest.

Healing is fairly easy. Can be sleep inducing at times if you get a geared group. At around level 30 if you spec Disc you can get the talent Archangel where you can pretty much just dps heal. If you're geared enough it's not unheard of to top dps.
It gets tough around Scholomance and a couple of the end levels of Dire Maul but most of time healing is fun and simple.
Just read the tooltips for your spells and the rest comes fairly easily.

One thing to note and take into consideration is if you do feel like rerolling remember that starting fresh can be stressful given lack of gold, gear, BAGS. Maybe stick with your mains for now if that doesn't sound appealing.

I'm tired so I hope there's something in what I wrote that you find useful. ;)

Hah! I remember saving up in early Wrath to afford epic ground mount training on my first character that had gotten that far. The mounts still cost a decent bit too, so I strategically saved up battleground tokens at the same time and had a PvP mount as my first epic mount. (Remember, this is when the speed of the mount mattered, not just your training level.)

It didn't cost quite as much as pictured, at the time, but it was still pretty high for a new player with little experience.

I really kind of liked that (at least in hindsight), being a sort of struggle to get something like that. It felt fantastic after finally getting my mount, and I remember sort of prancing about Hellfire Peninsula.

Audioboxer

Instance wise I think it doesn't matter what faction you are lol. You now can make horde and alliance on same server, even if PvP. They made transferring items even more annoying, it can tell if its yours even if a different faction. If your interested in Horde do it. Did you play a new toon after the re-doing of the zones?

I've played on Alliance after they redone the zones, but not all the way to 60. I think I may indeed try horde, all my characters are on PVE servers, but I think I'll jump back on PVP. My first ever character was on a PVP server, I remember the hell of stranglethorn vale!

Honestly, if you want one good reason not to play Alliance is Worgen sniffing. Every time I log in to check the AH the sniffs and snorts are a quick reminder why I'm not playing Alliance now. :p

The only instance you may not have played is Ragefire Chasm. That's the Horde city instance, much like Stockades for Alliance but it's the earliest instances in the game. If you've used Dungeon Finder at all at low levels there's a good chance you've already ran it.

Horde cities have their quirks but aren't too hard to navigate. There's always the city guards scattered around to help out.

I can't even remember the Alliance racials, the Horde ones aren't brilliant but I do love the Blood Elf one, an 8yd aoe interrupt. Comes in handy in pvp especially for a priest.

Healing is fairly easy. Can be sleep inducing at times if you get a geared group. At around level 30 if you spec Disc you can get the talent Archangel where you can pretty much just dps heal. If you're geared enough it's not unheard of to top dps.
It gets tough around Scholomance and a couple of the end levels of Dire Maul but most of time healing is fun and simple.
Just read the tooltips for your spells and the rest comes fairly easily.

One thing to note and take into consideration is if you do feel like rerolling remember that starting fresh can be stressful given lack of gold, gear, BAGS. Maybe stick with your mains for now if that doesn't sound appealing.

I'm tired so I hope there's something in what I wrote that you find useful. ;)

Some good advice, thanks. I really don't like the Worgen race as well :p As I'm going to jump on a PVP server I will be starting fresh, but I'll be taking my time anyway. Hopefully get into a levelling guild (or any guild really) to get some exp/gold boosts. I'm not paying to transfer characters as it's a rip off for the sake of starting out with gold - This reintroduction to WoW for me is all about casual fun, I don't have time to play 5 days a week, nor the expendable finances to pay Blizzard silly prices for character transfers.

Any EU GAF horde on a PVP server?

Cipherr

Used Raid finder on my Hunter that I just hit 85 on a few days ago playing casually.

Queued for the Fall of DW. Joined a run as they were on Madness of Deathwing. Had NFI what I was doing as I only researched the first two fights. Assisted one of the other hunters and shot what he shot.

Then the entire raid ups and jumps a 50 foot chasm to another platform miles away. Im checking my backpack like "Do I have to use a jetpack like on Lootship in ICC?" Couldnt find one, so I ask in raid chat, and like 20 folks reply "Just... you know, jump into the hole dude ;)" I thought they were trolling me so I stood for 20seconds waiting on someone to tell me what I REALLY needed to do. After a while, I just said "Fuck it" and jumped.

Sure enough the game popped me over the gap. I then spent the rest of the fight shooting stuff with a horrid rotation because I couldnt focus, and staring at a glowing green button in the middle of the screen that I eventually pushed by accident when a loud ass DBM alert scared the shit out of me. Then I died, and watched the rest of the raid kill the boss.

Then I won the fucking bow.

Other hunters must have been raging. I was the least deserving, thats for damn sure.

Alchemy

HKVdp.jpg

dat price

Ugh, I remember never actually getting epic riding at 60. I farmed the bejesus out of things, but once I got enough money I bought a Dwarven Hand Cannon. The DHC helped me out gear the other Hunters so I got priority for raid spots in Molten Snore and was on hand for one of the early Rag kills.

And now my hunter is decked out in epics despite not being in a raiding guild, and all my characters have 310% flying and I play more casually then I used to. I approve of easy mode and not having to farm stupid shit like tubers anymore.

Tamanon

Banned
I remember when buying the Alterac Valley Ram was the most economical way to get Fast riding skill.

Man, my mage did so many AVs too.......

Magnus

Just nabbed Altoholic for the first time. Have to get organized, now that I'm all about dicking around with various alts.

The shocking part was seeing the amalgamated stats neatly organized for me in a chart. Very scary:

327d played (minus probably 2 or 3 days of idling/inactivity) - 68d on my current main (active since 3.0), and 126d on my second main (active from just pre-BC to 3.0), with 85d on my original main, from the very beginning to just pre-BC, and some slowmo alt leveling ever since via LFD.

645 levels gained total (plus at least 100 from various other characters I dicked around with over the years and deleted)

I'm not...terribly proud of that first figure. lol

I'm frightened of any /played statistics. I will not look at them, ever. I have a hard enough time with my emotional state and anxiety as it is right now. That kind of stuff would make me look back on the last 7 years of my life with pain and regret.

Audioboxer

Any tips when picking a new realm? Tempted to jump on a low population realm as in theory it should be more laid back on new players?

Rokal

Audίoboxer;34817083 said:
Any tips when picking a new realm? Tempted to jump on a low population realm as in theory it should be more laid back on new players?

The realm you pick won't really have any impact on the players you group with. Most of your grouping will be done via the LFD tool since it's what everyone uses, and that matches you up with players from other servers too. The population of the server you pick will have an effect on the economy, world pvp (maybe that still happens on some servers?), and ease of finding a guild. For all of those things, you'd want to play on a higher population server. I wouldn't seriously recommend that any new player start on a low population server.

Audioboxer

The realm you pick won't really have any impact on the players you group with. Most of your grouping will be done via the LFD tool since it's what everyone uses, and that matches you up with players from other servers too. The population of the server you pick will have an effect on the economy, world pvp (maybe that still happens on some servers?), and ease of finding a guild. For all of those things, you'd want to play on a higher population server. I wouldn't seriously recommend that any new player start on a low population server.

Ahhh never knew LFG was cross realm now, thanks :) Starting on Auchindoun.

Brykon

Neo Member
I'm frightened of any /played statistics. I will not look at them, ever. I have a hard enough time with my emotional state and anxiety as it is right now. That kind of stuff would make me look back on the last 7 years of my life with pain and regret.

I'm confused by this, yet a lot of people say it. It's your choice to play the game. What would you rather do, watch TV? Either way, whether you think it or not, that time and money was spent pretty well. To go to the movies for one night is the equivalent to a months pay for WoW.

Personally, I think I've learned a lot from playing WoW, and unlike you, I don't regret my game time at all. If I did, I would quit, like I did for five months right before because of the lack of interest.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It felt fantastic after finally getting my mount, and I remember sort of prancing about Hellfire Peninsula.

I played a Paladin as my first ever char and I remember finally getting my Pally mount from Scholo with a group of friends. It took a long time to get 'cause I was lazy when it came to gold farming and so gathering all those mats was a pain. I was still using the slow mount so once I finally got it it was brilliant. Everyone made a big deal out of it and I was stupidly proud. I much have raced to get out of the instance as soon as I could then spent the next 10 min jumping around everywhere on the mount. I also had crusader aura by then so the speed increase was a shock.

The shocking part was seeing the amalgamated stats neatly organized for me in a chart. Very scary:

327d played (minus probably 2 or 3 days of idling/inactivity) - 68d on my current main (active since 3.0), and 126d on my second main (active from just pre-BC to 3.0), with 85d on my original main, from the very beginning to just pre-BC, and some slowmo alt leveling ever since via LFD.

Mine's 195d. Been playing since the Dec before TBC It's not a very accurate figure for how much I've played given so many of my chars I've deleted. I love alts so I would have had heaps. My first char, I think, was pushing 60d, it's been so long I barely remember. If he's not lost forever he'd be stuck on the dead server Thaurissan.

The population of the server you pick will have an effect on the economy, world pvp (maybe that still happens on some servers?), and ease of finding a guild. For all of those things, you'd want to play on a higher population server. I wouldn't seriously recommend that any new player start on a low population server.

I'm thinking about rerolling on a new player server or one of those hugely unbalanced servers and playing as the underdog. (pvp server) I'm disappointed at the lack of world activity so I'm hoping there'll be more players out in the world on those ones.

Ultratech

I remember when buying the Alterac Valley Ram was the most economical way to get Fast riding skill.

Man, my mage did so many AVs too.......

I remember doing that. Ran so much AV back in the day...

Was going through one my flash drives the other day, and found a neat little cache of pics from the TBC days. Mostly stuff back when I actually played and was with a raiding guild. Had some Kara stuff, a fight with one of the Nightmare Dragons (Emeriss maybe?), some crazy World PvP on Hellfire Peninsula where we took over the Alliance town there, and some pics from the PTS where they had Zul'Aman implemented (where you could tame one of those armored bears; a shame they took that out).

The PTS pics were pretty funny since a few highlight a ton of people waiting to get Arena gear and the GMs ended up spawning bosses to lessen the lag everyone had created. They ended up summoning Al'ar, Princess Huruhan, Baron Geddon, and maybe one more. Was pretty crazy stuff, since I was watching it all from above.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I remember doing that. Ran so much AV back in the day...

Was going through one my flash drives the other day, and found a neat little cache of pics from the TBC days. Mostly stuff back when I actually played and was with a raiding guild. Had some Kara stuff, a fight with one of the Nightmare Dragons (Emeriss maybe?), some crazy World PvP on Hellfire Peninsula where we took over the Alliance town there, and some pics from the PTS where they had Zul'Aman implemented (where you could tame one of those armored bears; a shame they took that out).

The PTS pics were pretty funny since a few highlight a ton of people waiting to get Arena gear and the GMs ended up spawning bosses to lessen the lag everyone had created. They ended up summoning Al'ar, Princess Huruhan, Baron Geddon, and maybe one more. Was pretty crazy stuff, since I was watching it all from above.

Any vids of this?

strafer

TotalBiscuits failed attempt to start a Trollfest. So many people it caused the server to crash and the GM's raged over it.

TwlVD.jpg

x6OR5.jpg

You guys have certainly played a shitload, haha. I only have 3 characters I've played to any length of time (lvls 85, 85, 59) with a total of like 80 days /played. At least 1/10th of that is idling since I afk a LOT.

Started in like early December 2004 but subs been on and off in 5-6 month blocks.

TheYanger

I'm confused by this, yet a lot of people say it. It's your choice to play the game. What would you rather do, watch TV? Either way, whether you think it or not, that time and money was spent pretty well. To go to the movies for one night is the equivalent to a months pay for WoW.

Personally, I think I've learned a lot from playing WoW, and unlike you, I don't regret my game time at all. If I did, I would quit, like I did for five months right before because of the lack of interest.

Yeah that's how I feel about it. My played time puts everyone else to shame, but it's because I've enjoyed doing what I do in wow (and a lot of idle time while I was asleep and stuff, but still). Be your own judge of what you do in life. Plenty of worse things to do as a leisure activity.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Working on his apparent anxiety? You don't improve it sitting at home playing wow, staring at the wall, watching tv, etc.

Cipherr

Yeah that's how I feel about it. My played time puts everyone else to shame, but it's because I've enjoyed doing what I do in wow (and a lot of idle time while I was asleep and stuff, but still). Be your own judge of what you do in life. Plenty of worse things to do as a leisure activity.

Hell, Im surprised noone has put in as much playtime from work as I have. And obscene amount since launch, well over 50 days played, from work alone. I don't have some of the mystifyingly high days played as some of the other folks who have played since release also, but I did a massive portion of my playtime at work lol.

Ultratech

Any vids of this?

No vids that I can find (this was years ago), but like I said, I've got the pics. I'll try and get them uploaded.

Here's what I found on a forum regarding what I was talking about the PTR stuff:
Last night was fun. The S3 vendor was back, but was impossible to access due to the hundreds of people trying to get into the building, find her, and "shop" with her.

A GM appeared around 9:00 PM and started summoning bosses to clear out the crowd. First came Leotheras the Blind, then Al'ar, then Princess Huhuran, then Prince Malchezaar. I cut out at that point - people were calling for a C'Thun spawn, which I admit would have been amazing too see the beam damage totals as it spiked from player to player. Try to picture Prince Malchezaar standing in that little building - he didn't fit. It was pretty funny. Too bad he couldn't summon infernals.

This morning, the vendor is gone again. :)

Found out my brother and loads of his mates started playing.
Pain in the ass he never told me first as they picked a different server to my characters and Horde.
Id want to play horde but the idea of starting with nothing even though I have loads of heirlooms and all sorts on my characters is not exactly appealing!
What a pain :/ also RAF would have been good aswell!!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Found out my brother and loads of his mates started playing.
Pain in the ass he never told me first as they picked a different server to my characters and Horde.
Id want to play horde but the idea of starting with nothing even though I have loads of heirlooms and all sorts on my characters is not exactly appealing!
What a pain :/ also RAF would have been good aswell!!
There's the option of transferring something and waiting.
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, but I'll just go ahead and say you'd have to transfer to move heirlooms to a different server.

As far as the Neogaf guild goes. I have 5 85's on my main server and decided to level a class I didn't do yet on the Neogaf server to work toward my goal of having everything 85. It wasn't painful at all without heirlooms and 0 starting gold. Was able to get 310% flying at 80 by selling stuff from gathering professions. I wouldn't do it multiple times without heirlooms, but once is ok. I wasn't worried about needing a lot of gold at 85, but I would dabble a bit to make enough to not struggle. If the GAF guild ever dies I'll xfer it to my main. I've been sitting at 80 for a few months tho. When I was leveling more than playing on my main server I still logged on for professions. In your scenario if you started a guild that was lasting and getting things done I'd probably start xfering the others over to make it my official main.

th3dude

I just had a thought: would anyone be interested in settin up a cross realm real ID raid group for Gaf?

Edit: maybe to start we can go for older content/achievements/mounts.

There's the option of transferring something and waiting.
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, but I'll just go ahead and say you'd have to transfer to move heirlooms to a different server.

As far as the Neogaf guild goes. I have 5 85's on my main server and decided to level a class I didn't do yet on the Neogaf server to work toward my goal of having everything 85. It wasn't painful at all without heirlooms and 0 starting gold. Was able to get 310% flying at 80 by selling stuff from gathering professions. I wouldn't do it multiple times without heirlooms, but once is ok. I wasn't worried about needing a lot of gold at 85, but I would dabble a bit to make enough to not struggle. If the GAF guild ever dies I'll xfer it to my main. I've been sitting at 80 for a few months tho. When I was leveling more than playing on my main server I still logged on for professions. In your scenario if you started a guild that was lasting and getting things done I'd probably start xfering the others over to make it my official main.

Yeah basically got 4 guys two at 85, all alliance and a fair few heirlooms, I was hoping Blizzard had made account items actually account bound rather than Server so I dont feel compelled to transfer one guy over with all the heirlooms etc!

MedIC86

I have a question:

I played WoW a long time (since launch) and i quit right before Cata. Im looking to get back but i was wondering something:

- I want to play a tank class (no warrior because i played that in all those years)
How viable is a paladin tank these days? they have always intrigued me a bit, but i dont know the current state they are in.

Or does anyone have good suggestions?

Thanks

Rokal

Paladin tanks are arguably the most popular tanks in the game right now, and Divine Shield/BoP lets you do some pretty broken stuff on a few of the fights in this expansion. Short answer: they're awesome tanks.

Alchemy

Alright, got my old pics uploaded.
Here's the full album: Old WoW Pics

OLD WOW? OLD WOW.

Golemagg2.jpg

Check out those sexy Giantstalker shoulders! It also looks like I have Black Dragonscale Breastplate, a Helm of Narv, and Beaststalker gloves. Wow, my computer and UI were terrible. To be fair I was a broke high school student. Since then I've graduated from college and been working full time for two years.

God damn I've played this game a lot.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, those HP levels.

That's about what an Heirloomed tank at 45 or so has now I think. The good ol' days when fire REALLY punished you.

I've been out of the WoW game for about 2 years now and for some reason I picked up Cata, but haven't installed it yet. Am I too far removed to jump back in?

Top Bottom