• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Does general gear appearance really change up tactics?

I think probably the main difference is it lets you know how much PvE gear they are wearing. I know there are ways of finding that out anyway but it was nice to know immediately.

I don't really mind at all it's not a big deal, i was just surprised that it happened.

Mairu

Anyone playing SWTOR and WoW?

Everytime I log on WoW I just can't get motivated to do anything because of time investment of both.

yes

All I do in wow right now is raid

All I do in swtor right now is pvp dailies + raid

Can't motivate myself to level an alt in either game right now

C.Dark.DN

Banned
On the flip side my friend that's big into PVP seems to enjoy making his gear look like PVE. Never got his opinion on the others doing it tho.

yes

All I do in wow right now is raid

All I do in swtor right now is pvp dailies + raid

Can't motivate myself to level an alt in either game right now
I'm leveling my first character in SWTOR so that's obviously the issue.

Alchemy

I think probably the main difference is it lets you know how much PvE gear they are wearing. I know there are ways of finding that out anyway but it was nice to know immediately.

I don't really mind at all it's not a big deal, i was just surprised that it happened.

But does knowing that change your tactics? Why wouldn't you just assume you have to play at a high level at all times to win your match? It sounds like this is more of an issue of 'oh hey, we can slack off because they guys aren't geared', not a fundamental change in your tactics.

Rokal

I'm playing both right now. At this point, I just log into WoW twice a week to raid. I'm not playing a ton of SWTOR either, since the game works really well as a co-op experience and I'm playing in a dedicated duo.

I hope we get some serious MoP information soon.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm playing both right now. At this point, I just log into WoW twice a week to raid. I'm not playing a ton of SWTOR either, since the game works really well as a co-op experience and I'm playing in a dedicated duo.

I hope we get some serious MoP information soon.
Beta please.

As hyped as I am I'm still unsure about leveling something I can't keep. :|

and exactly why I have never(ever) leveled anything or done anything serious in any MMO betas.

I've been in all the WoW betas and what I do everytime is spend time in the character creation screen checking out the options for the new race so I know exactly what my character will look like.

if the mmo has a new class.. then I'll level it to 10 and to get a good grasp of the class / beginning zone but also to see if the class is right for me.

I only level to 10 because that only takes ~1 hour so I have no problem doing that. I seriously can't wrap my head around how people level characters in betas to max level only to lose them in a few months... that would drive me crazy but also kill any drive I would have to level that character come release :p

for my level 85s, I check out the new talent points (by looking at the trees and also respeccing into each different tree to try the new talents) and I also fly (or in the case of MoP, ride) around the new zones to check em out and lastly I run the level 85 dungeon(s) once to see that.

I save the rest for release :)

I just resubbed last week for the year. I figure I like the mount, I was definitely going to buy D3 anyway and it'll be my first WoW beta.

Holy shit gearing up is easier than ever. Also in a geared group, Cata regular heroics are way easier now than they were at launch, which is to be expected I suppose. Kinda sad in a way but also kinda expected that they would fold a little on that and go in the Wrath direction where heroics become more trivial over time. I really enjoyed the difficulty of heroics at cata launch, especially ZG/ZA when they came out.

However, this only applies to geared groups and a lot of the people running the regular heroics are fresh 85s and really undergeared peoples so they can still be hair-raising as fuck. I only play healer and I'm occasionally running into tanks who get 2-shot by certain trash pulls.

For the Twilight heroics I love End Time, don't really like Well of Eternity with its endless blathering and bad voice acting and I find the Thrall one to be OK.

Rokam

So I spent about 4 hours fishing today trying to get the stupid coin master achievement, 1 gold coin away. The second I went to quest I was instantly bored. What the hell is wrong with me :(.

But does knowing that change your tactics? Why wouldn't you just assume you have to play at a high level at all times to win your match? It sounds like this is more of an issue of 'oh hey, we can slack off because they guys aren't geared', not a fundamental change in your tactics.

Because right now certain classes in PvE gear can blow you up if you aren't careful. So if you see someone wearing that type of gear you need to get on him asap. Now you pretty much can't tell until you have actually attacked each person.

If i see the opposition players and we notice one is wearing PvE gear we will immediatly change tactics. That is no longer possible.

It's not a big deal and we don't really take arena seriously at all (we run enhance/arms lol). I was just surprised blizzard made the change.

It doesn't bother me as it means i still get to wear my cool gear it's just something i've thought about.

After my 5th run of MGT this week I got the Hawkstrider. Best looking mount in the game as far as I'm concerned. Can't complain about my luck anymore!

Because right now certain classes in PvE gear can blow you up if you aren't careful. So if you see someone wearing that type of gear you need to get on him asap. Now you pretty much can't tell until you have actually attacked each person.

If i see the opposition players and we notice one is wearing PvE gear we will immediatly change tactics. That is no longer possible.

It's not a big deal and we don't really take arena seriously at all (we run enhance/arms lol). I was just surprised blizzard made the change.

It doesn't bother me as it means i still get to wear my cool gear it's just something i've thought about.

You've found that in arenas players in PVE gear can blow you up...? If you're doing arenas, aren't you stacking resilience.. shouldn't you be in ~4.5k-6k resil armor? That pretty much makes player in PVE gear completely and utterly inadequate

After my 5th run of MGT this week I got the Hawkstrider. Best looking mount in the game as far as I'm concerned. Can't complain about my luck anymore!

hahah, I'm going to farm the hawkstrider from MGT eventually... will definitely have it before MoP. My most prized mount is Baron's Warhorse.. I know people that have EASILY run over a hundred runs.

I got it 12.

Yes... I said it. Twelve runs.

Rokam

Wish I could transfer mounts to different characters. Have an old ZG raptor, TLPD, and Attumens mount rotting on a character I don't play.

Miletius

Everytime I log on WoW I just can't get motivated to do anything because of time investment of both.

I am, but really haven't had much motivation to play WoW beyond logging in to raid. If I get Pandaria, I'm going Monk so I kind of feeling that there's no point in advancing my warlock as much anymore.

Kisaya

So my sub and my friend's sub that I did RaF just ended :( Lost track of time and didn't realize it was going to end during the afternoon (thought it was going to be late in the evening). Anyway, what sucks is that I forgot to get my friend to grant some levels to my character, and we aren't going to be playing again until the summer. Is there anyway we could still get those granted levels when we start playing again in May?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So my sub and my friend's sub that I did RaF just ended :( Lost track of time and didn't realize it was going to end during the afternoon (thought it was going to be late in the evening). Anyway, what sucks is that I forgot to get my friend to grant some levels to my character, and we aren't going to be playing again until the summer. Is there anyway we could still get those granted levels when we start playing again in May?
I doubt it.
"The link between the veteran and recruit account will last for 90 days"
"Note: In-game benefits will only be available while an account link is active."

You've found that in arenas players in PVE gear can blow you up...? If you're doing arenas, aren't you stacking resilience.. shouldn't you be in ~4.5k-6k resil armor? That pretty much makes player in PVE gear completely and utterly inadequate

I have 4.6K and my partner has 4.7K resilience. We have still been blown up within seconds by certain teams.

If you honestly believe that resil makes PvE gear worthless in arena than i don't know what to tell you. That has never been the case and it certainly isn't now.

Edit: I'm not necessarily talking about players in full PvE gear either.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I have 4.6K and my partner has 4.7K resilience. We have still been blown up within seconds by certain teams.

If you honestly believe that resil makes PvE gear worthless in arena than i don't know what to tell you. That has never been the case and it certainly isn't now.

Edit: I'm not necessarily talking about players in full PvE gear either.

Well it's obvious that people can do more damage and heal better in PVE gear.

But I don't see it being effective because all their eggs are going into the start of the fight. They are surely going to face a lot of teams that correctly overcome their initial burst damage and proceed to beat on them. Not having 40%+ damage reduction is bad.

Well it's obvious that people can do more damage and heal better in PVE gear.

But I don't see it being effective because all their eggs are going into the start of the fight. They are surely going to face a lot of teams that correctly overcome their initial burst damage and proceed to beat on them. Not having 40%+ damage reduction is bad.

There are certain classes that can get away with having a little bit less resilience though. Also obviously i'm talking about really high level play in arena (because our team is only around 1800 rating). Even then though it's not like there hasn't been a precedent of PvE gear dominating even at high level arenas.

This season is the same sort of thing, it's just a balancing act trying to get the right amount of PvE gear.

Number45

You can't class change.

I had no idea (although now that I think about it, it makes complete sense) that you couldn't. Only transferring I've ever done is realm based, although I'm going to be tempted to switch my druid herber from troll to tauren for quicker herbing!

Sarcasm

Out of the three to start trying out PvP and you have them at 85 with PvE gear which would you choose? I can link my armory if needed.

Hunter
Druid
Paladin

Number45

Out of the three to start trying out PvP and you have them at 85 with PvE gear which would you choose? I can link my armory if needed.

Hunter
Druid
Paladin

If feral, isn't the PvP gear supposed to be the best starting PvE gear as well? Might be a decent crossover to start with.

idlewild_

Narrowed it down to three =)

Druid
Hunter
Paladin

Those are my characters.

Now spec wise I don't know how I will do PvP wise, especially on the hunter.

depends what kind of pvp, if you just want to have fun playing around in battlegrounds, then you should probably go for the hunter, they've always been "op" in large-scale unorganized pvp. op in quotes because you'll die as soon as someone comes into melee range or tunnels you, but in the average bg it takes long enough before someone does that that you'll probably have gotten some kills in.

Sarcasm

depends what kind of pvp, if you just want to have fun playing around in battlegrounds, then you should probably go for the hunter, they've always been "op" in large-scale unorganized pvp. op in quotes because you'll die as soon as someone comes into melee range or tunnels you, but in the average bg it takes long enough before someone does that that you'll probably have gotten some kills in.

SO far I find PvP in BGs to be which side has the most dedicated healers. I have 1520 JPS on Hunter so I can pump and get some of that season 10/11 items. But why are they so cheap? What am I missing?

Which vendor for PvP do I look at? The honor one? Blood Guard one?

Brykon

Neo Member
Now spec wise I don't know how I will do PvP wise, especially on the hunter.

Hunter's really only have a cookie cutter spec for PvP. You can change around a point or two, but the build that everyone uses is what's best.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#czZfzGRhRMuroGMM:skzMVdmMz

Some people will say Glyph of Raptor Strike is better than Concussive Shot, however, concussive shot is miles overall in usefulness. With how many rogue teams there are now a days, kiting rogues during sprint is overall easy. Although, raptor strike glyph can come in handy if your healer isn't well skilled, mainly because you'll gain the damage reduction. If you're fine with kiting skill wise, and have a decent healer, take the concussive shot glyph.

mileS

Hunter's really only have a cookie cutter spec for PvP. You can change around a point or two, but the build that everyone uses is what's best.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#czZfzGRhRMuroGMM:skzMVdmMz

Some people will say Glyph of Raptor Strike is better than Concussive Shot, however, concussive shot is miles overall in usefulness. With how many rogue teams there are now a days, kiting rogues during sprint is overall easy. Although, raptor strike glyph can come in handy if your healer isn't well skilled, mainly because you'll gain the damage reduction. If you're fine with kiting skill wise, and have a decent healer, take the concussive shot glyph.

Its been a while since I've used a Marks PvP build but last time I checked, nobody, nobody at all used Careful aim.

Sarcasm

I have 1520 JPS on Hunter so I can pump and get some of that season 10/11 items. But why are they so cheap? What am I missing?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I have 1520 JPS on Hunter so I can pump and get some of that season 10/11 items. But why are they so cheap? What am I missing?
Hm? Farming season 11 honor gear can take a few days or a week depending upon things. What BG weekend it is, how many times you win, how much time you play.

Then you spend months getting conquest gear because there is a weekly cap on how much currency you can get.

Same with PVE. Spend a few days or a week farming JP and heroic dungeon gear. Spend months getting raid and valor gear because of currency caps and raid lockouts.

Sarcasm

Hm? Farming season 11 honor gear can take a few days or a week depending upon things. What BG weekend it is, how many times you win, how much time you play.

Then you spend months getting conquest gear because there is a weekly cap on how much currency you can get.

Same with PVE. Spend a few days or a week farming JP and heroic dungeon gear. Spend months getting raid and valor gear because of currency caps and raid lockouts.

I ask cause the gear I see is like 1650 Honor Points.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I ask cause the gear I see is like 1650 Honor Points.
You're not looking at all the gear then.

2h weapons cost 3,400.
1h weapons cost 2,450.
Shields and off hands cost 950.
Head, legs, and chest cost 2,200.
Trinkets, waist, feet, shoulders, and hands cost 1,650.
Wrist, rings, cloak, and necks cost 1,250.
Relics cost 700.
Head enchants cost 1,000
Shoulder enchants cost 2,000.

Sarcasm

You're not looking at all the gear then.

2h weapons cost 3,400.
1h weapons cost... I forget.
Shields and off hands cost 950.
Head, legs, and chest cost 2,200 each.
Trinkets, waist, feet, shoulders, and hands cost 1,650.
Wrist, rings, cloak, and necks cost 1,250.
Relics cost 700.
Shoulder and Head enchants cost like 1,000-2,000.

yea one I was talking about is hand piece. I remember in the past things costing more.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
yea one was hand piece. I remember in the past things costing more.
I think things could cost as high as 50,000 honor more or less years ago or something, but that was because of inflation. The honor cap these days is 4,000 until you buy something.

Getting 4,000 isn't fast.

Brykon

Neo Member
I liked the old pvp honor system way better. Nothing like getting honor capped in one AV that could last for almost a whole 24 hour day!

Top Bottom