• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

We ended up wiping 7-8 times on heroic Ultrax yesterday because people still get confused by buttons and when to press them/not press them.

;_;

There's like 5 people who never fuck up, and the other 5 take turns at messing up, but no one wants to admit it (I pressed it! I swear! Me too! It must've "glitched")

Oh well. I don't really mind since this is the first time I'm actually going progression heroic raiding and just coming along is nice enough.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Haha yeah you get that along with people rolling on whatever and I just cant be arsed to go in. Its Valour but I dont even need that if im not going into DS normal anyway!

Yeah i just want valor points to get these last pieces of 397 gear before the expansion, but at this point i might just do heroics. At least (most) people understand the fucking boss mechanics over there. I might just give up on the LFR version of the Deathwing's staff though. On top of all the shit mentioned in my last post, I rarely see it drop on my mage, and there is always half the raid needing on it, healers or DPS or even retards who already got it.

Ultratech

Good god, Zul'Aman PUGs are stupid. Been trying to get transmog stuff outta there, but damn people I get saddled with either don't know the mechanics or leave before anything meaningful can get going.
Kinda stupid how people can go in there and think they can faceroll the place, when it doesn't take much to screw up.

Also, I had to bring my turtle out for End Time to tank Echo of Baine. Our DK tank was squishy apparently...
It was sad. Turtle Tank is awesome tank though. lol

And still no luck on the damn Raven Lord mount. Anzu can suck it.

And in other news, got my Guardian of Cenarius title. Took practically no time at all to do the Cenarion Circle part of it. Started and finished it tonight, since no one hangs out in Silithus I had free reign on the Twilight Prophet spawn, and then hit up Un'goro and Desolace for the quests. Not sure what to work on next.

I still need to do that. I have Cenarion Expedition done, but never really messed with Cenarion Circle since by the time I got around to Silithus, BC was in full force, so I was trying to hit 60 and go to Outland. At least it shouldn't be too bad to do.

To be honest i find it hard to blame the players anymore. There are 10 million people playing the game and they aren't all stupid. Blizzard does a terrible job of preparing players for the end game and really encourages people to be assholes and do really stupid things. Some of the stuff is actually pretty amazingly dumb (to the point where you wonder how the player manages to even turn their computer on) but for the most part i think players should be better prepared.

I still blame the players if only because it takes a few minutes to look up the stuff.
Especially when you have:
-Dungeon Companion: At the very least, they can be familiar with the bosses' attacks and stuff.
-Internet (Wowhead/Wowwiki/???): Takes all of about 4-5 minutes to look up and read up on the instance.

Good god, Zul'Aman PUGs are stupid. Been trying to get transmog stuff outta there, but damn people I get saddled with either don't know the mechanics or leave before anything meaningful can get going.
Kinda stupid how people can go in there and think they can faceroll the place, when it doesn't take much to screw up.

To be honest i find it hard to blame the players anymore. There are 10 million people playing the game and they aren't all stupid. Blizzard does a terrible job of preparing players for the end game and really encourages people to be assholes and do really stupid things. Some of the stuff is actually pretty amazingly dumb (to the point where you wonder how the player manages to even turn their computer on) but for the most part i think players should be better prepared.

Bisnic

I agree that Blizzard should make the game progressively harder from 1 to 85. And i dont mean making it heroic raids hard either.

Instead we have a game that is super easy for 80 lvls and we end up with "noobs" in LFR and heroics who cant pay attention to simple stuff like moving away from fire or switching target and play their class effectively because they never had to in past dungeons.

I agree that Blizzard should make the game progressively harder from 1 to 85. And i dont mean making it heroic raids hard either.

Instead we have a game that is super easy for 80 lvls and we end up with "noobs" in LFR and heroics who cant pay attention to simple stuff like moving away from fire or switching target and play their class effectively because they never had to in past dungeons.

80 lvls? The game is simple right up to 85. There is basically no preparation whatsoever and players are conditioned into expecting things to be incredibly simple.

Bisnic

80 lvls? The game is simple right up to 85. There is basically no preparation whatsoever and players are conditioned into expecting things to be incredibly simple.

Well, i said 80 because i remember the regular versions of cataclysm dungeons being hard at the beginning of the expansion(like the tank getting killed by the 2nd boss of Throne of Tides that smash whatever is in front of him, or the trash pulls in Vortex Pinnacle), but that was probably due to people not knowing what to expect at all.

Well, i said 80 because i remember the regular versions of cataclysm dungeons being hard at the beginning of the expansion(like the tank getting killed by the 2nd boss of Throne of Tides that smash whatever is in front of him, or the trash pulls in Vortex Pinnacle), but that was probably due to people not knowing what to expect at all.

That is true although those dungeons aren't mandatory or even really encouraged. I'd say most players reach 85 without ever seeing them.

I feel like blizzard either needs to put less emphasis on the end game (not sure if that's even possible for WoW anymore) or prepare players better for the end game.

Sciz

World mobs need better mechanics than "applies stacking poison debuff that does trivial damage and never gets above one stack before dying anyway". It's no wonder that people are clueless about dungeons when 99% of everything they fight charges and autoattacks.

I don't think it's that simple. A huge number of people just like casual play. With 10 million players there are a LOT of people who just play this game as a way to casually relax.

People who are actually interested in getting better have a lot of tools at their disposal, and almost all the barriers to raiding/heroics have been removed. If that motiviation is there, the resources are there. If the motivation isn't there, then the resources won't make much of a difference, because they're just not looking for that kind of experience.

Yup. All the things I read, official and not, were so disjointed and so different from what I'd become used to in playing games. It wasn't until I got into a guild and someone spent 20 minutes with me on vent, helping me through a dungeon that I "got it".

A real problem is that, for a social game, people aren't remotely helpful. They just vote to kick rather than explaining.

aesop

lolwut

MMO Champion said:
Baseline
Shadow Word: Pain no longer generates 1 Shadow Orb for Shadow Priests.

Talents
From Darkness, Comes Light no longer affects Shadow Word: Pain.
Spectral Guise now causes you to be stealthed, not invisible. (Wording change?)

Shadow
Mastery: Shadow Orb Power replaced with Mastery: Shadowy Recall - Gives your periodic shadow damage spells a x% chance to deal damage twice, each time they deal damage.
Devouring Plague *New* - Consumes all of the caster's Shadow Orbs to deal 2,099 Shadow damage per orb consumed and afflict the target with a disease that causes (1,049 + 50.0% of SP) Shadow damage every 1 for 2 sec per orb consumed. 15% of damage caused by the Devouring Plague heals the caster. 40 Yards Range. Instant. Costs 1 Shadow Orb.
Mind Surge (NNF) *New* - You have a 20% chance when you deal periodic damage with your Vampiric Touch to instantly reset the cooldown of your Mind Blast and cause its next cast within 12 sec to be instant.
Shadowy Apparitions *New* - When you deal periodic damage with your Shadow Word: Pain, you have a 12% chance to summon a shadow version of yourself which will slowly move towards a target which is afflicted by your Shadow Word: Pain. Once reaching the target, it will instantly deal 1,025 shadow damage. You can have up to 15 Shadowy Apparitions active at a time.
Mind Blast now has a 8 sec cooldown, up from 6 sec.
Vampiric Touch no longer regenerates health.

Discipline
Grace no longer affects Greater Heal.

Minor Glyphs
Glyph of Shadowy Apparition replaced with Glyph of the Heavens - Your Levitate targets will appear to be riding on a cloud for the duration of the spell.

People who are actually interested in getting better have a lot of tools at their disposal, and almost all the barriers to raiding/heroics have been removed. If that motiviation is there, the resources are there. If the motivation isn't there, then the resources won't make much of a difference, because they're just not looking for that kind of experience.

Sometimes it comes down to... they don't get it. It being... the class, the spec, the... whatever.

For example, I have two warlocks in my guild. One plays casually, the other hardcore. Like... does all the raids by Thursday night... just insane about it. However, if I bring both of them at the same time to a run... the casual person does better DPS. Hands down. Doesn't matter they're spec'd the same, supposedly using the same rotation... the hardcore person is even geared better. For some reason, the casual person just understands their character and plays it better.

I find it kinda fascinating because I'm somewhat the same way. Probably the best hunter in my guild (middle of the road for hardcore guilds though) and I can go a month without raiding, jump in, and still do better DPS than people with 397 even though I'm 385.

Finally got heroic Ultrax down. Feels good man when people press and unpress their buttons correctly and don't blame it on "glitches". Yeah 20% nerf is a joke, etc. etc. but yeahhhhh still nice.

scoobs

Sometimes it comes down to... they don't get it. It being... the class, the spec, the... whatever.

For example, I have two warlocks in my guild. One plays casually, the other hardcore. Like... does all the raids by Thursday night... just insane about it. However, if I bring both of them at the same time to a run... the casual person does better DPS. Hands down. Doesn't matter they're spec'd the same, supposedly using the same rotation... the hardcore person is even geared better. For some reason, the casual person just understands their character and plays it better.

I find it kinda fascinating because I'm somewhat the same way. Probably the best hunter in my guild (middle of the road for hardcore guilds though) and I can go a month without raiding, jump in, and still do better DPS than people with 397 even though I'm 385.

to be fair, hunter dps is just stupid.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally got heroic Ultrax down. Feels good man when people press and unpress their buttons correctly and don't blame it on "glitches". Yeah 20% nerf is a joke, etc. etc. but yeahhhhh still nice.
Grats man!

Enosh

how come you can't que for some HoT heroics but they still show up when doing random?
I only need stuff from Hour of Twilight -.-

and predictably, after doing end time for a week and never seeing the shoulders, they drop the first day after getting the ones from DS
I love loot, but by god I hate it sometimes too

how come you can't que for some HoT heroics but they still show up when doing random?
I only need stuff from Hour of Twilight -.-

and predictably, after doing end time for a week and never seeing the shoulders, they drop the first day after getting the ones from DS
I love loot, but by god I hate it sometimes too

Sure you can. Its good that you can but it does get boring VERY VERY fast.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Possible login screen music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLwzMmGC6w

Also can you hear the beginning? TBC login screen music :D

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE CHARACTER SELECTION SONG!

edit: it's a vanilla/TBC-combo! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

edit 2: not much "Panda"-theme in it though?!

edit 3: n/m it just started :_: I'M CRYING

edit 4: it always takes a couple of re-listens for me to actually start loving the songs... I ended up liking the Cataclysm-song the most even though I thought it was only "okay" at start.

edit 5: holy crap at the melodies in this song... this is a masterpiece :_:

edit 6: when the Stormwind-theme starts, it always breaks me... I despise alliance, but it's sooo good.

edit 7: AND NOW THE HORDE-THEME DIRECTLY AFTER THAT! PERFECT DIRECTION ♥

edit 8: All right, time so soak this song in... I'm still shaking

My goal is to get a full set of Heirloom gear (ring excluded) on my lvl 76 Mage and once I hit 80, I’ll mail the set to my lvl 1 (shadow) Priest so I can level that character as quickly as possible with all the experience bonuses.

Two main questions here:

1) I currently have the Dignified Headmaster’s Charge (2h staff), Tattered Dreadmist Mantle (shoulder) and Tattered Dreadmist Robe (chest). I also want to buy the Tattered Dreadmist Mask (head) and Ancient Bloodmoon Cloak (cloak) but they require Honored rep with a guild. I just joined a lvl 25 guild – what is the fastest way to increase guild rep, and are there any items I can wear that will increase my guild rep gain?

2) I know nothing about Priests; should I transfer my Mage’s Dignified Headmaster’s Charge to my Priest? Should Priests use two-handed staves or do they use something else?

Thanks GAF!

To be fair, it is Blizzard music. Blizzard music is always awesome like that =D

It's true. I'm amazed when people tell me they never listen to the music when they're playing. I love when it comes up. Own all the soundtracks too.

I also love the ambient sounds... probably turned up the highest of the three sound settings.

Sciz

It's true. I'm amazed when people tell me they never listen to the music when they're playing. I love when it comes up. Own all the soundtracks too.

Most of it puts me to sleep, with only a few exceptions (Bronjahm, Argent Tournament, Darkmoon Faire, gunship battles, edit: and taverns/brewfest). Fortunately there's a marvelous addon called Soundtrack that lets me fix that.

Draxal

My goal is to get a full set of Heirloom gear (ring excluded) on my lvl 76 Mage and once I hit 80, I’ll mail the set to my lvl 1 (shadow) Priest so I can level that character as quickly as possible with all the experience bonuses.

Two main questions here:

1) I currently have the Dignified Headmaster’s Charge (2h staff), Tattered Dreadmist Mantle (shoulder) and Tattered Dreadmist Robe (chest). I also want to buy the Tattered Dreadmist Mask (head) and Ancient Bloodmoon Cloak (cloak) but they require Honored rep with a guild. I just joined a lvl 25 guild – what is the fastest way to increase guild rep, and are there any items I can wear that will increase my guild rep gain?

2) I know nothing about Priests; should I transfer my Mage’s Dignified Headmaster’s Charge to my Priest? Should Priests use two-handed staves or do they use something else?

Thanks GAF!

1. Fastest way is questing, hitting 85 on the mage then doing dailies should be the way to do it. I think you can get some items in the guild shop to increase rep gain, but it's still going to be a grind.

2. Yes, there is also a main hand mace (basically meant for holydins) but contantly upgrading the offhand is a pita, that can be avoided by just using a stave.

Ramirez

The heirloom guild items, can they be worn by a character that isn't honored/revered with the guild as long as they're in the guild?

Ramirez

Ok, I was wondering what the point of them would be if the character you were using had to be honored with the guild, would easily be 50+ once you got that rep...

crpav

Monday is going to be my last time raiding with my current raid team. I am staying in the guild and I am an officer(unless they remove that from me) but won't raid anymore. I love the guild and being a part of our raid team 1 but Softball starts in 2 weeks and i won't be able to make Thursday nights because of it. In August my wife is due with our first child so gaming will pretty much be down to nothing. I am also a bit burned out. Sure I will miss it and am already thinking about how I will miss it but in the end it's time to move on. I will still play and be part of the guild but won't be the same since I love end game and raiding.

It was a fun run since i moved up from team 2 to team 1. Finally got to defeat Rag and was big part of clearing regular DS before any nerf was implemented. We are/were 4/8 heroic and working on Heroic Hagara at the moment. I feel bad that my replacement will cause a little relearning but that is how it goes.

aesop

And we're almost back to where we are on live. lolblizz

MMO Champion said:
Priest (Forums)
Talents
Desperate Prayer can now be cast in Shadowform.
Divine Insight Shadow effect has been changed - Periodic damage from your Mind Flay refreshes the duration of your Shadow Word: Pain on the target.
From Darkness, Comes Light Surge of Light now has a 15% chance to proc. Surge of Darkness changed - When your Shadow Word: Pain deals damage, there is a 15% chance your next Shadow Word: Death will treat the target as if it were below 20% health.
Shadow
Mind Surge (NNF) now has a 10% chance to proc.
Shadow Orbs - New - Generated by Mind Blast and Shadowy Apparitions. Used to cast Devouring Plague and empower Psychic Horror.
Shadowy Apparitions now has a 20% chance to summon a shadow. Now deals (615 + 60.0% of SP) shadow damage and grant you a Shadow Orb. You can now have up to 3 Shadowy Apparitions active, down from 15.
Vampiric Touch now grants 2% of maximum mana, down from 3%.
Major Glyphs
Glyph of Dark Binding now affects Prayer of Mending, Renew, and Leap of Faith instead of Binding Heal, Flash Heal, and Renew.
Glyph of Psychic Scream now also affects your Psyfiend's Psychic Terror.
Glyph of Vampiric Touch is now Glyph of Devouring Plague and affects Devouring Plague.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok, I was wondering what the point of them would be if the character you were using had to be honored with the guild, would easily be 50+ once you got that rep...
The cloak and helm together give +15% experience until level 85 so they are useful no matter what while leveling.

LogicStep

Is there anywhere I can download all the patches I would need on a fresh install of the game? I'm getting a new hard drive and I don't want to wait for the download when I get it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there anywhere I can download all the patches I would need on a fresh install of the game? I'm getting a new hard drive and I don't want to wait for the download when I get it.

I personally would just download the client from battle.net. You can start playing after like 10-30 minutes. It'll download while playing and then I let the rest download when I'm not playing.

LogicStep

I personally would just download the client from battle.net. You can start playing after like 10-30 minutes. It'll download while playing and then I let the rest download when I'm not playing.

I have really really really slow internet. It took my client to fully update like 3 days.

Sarcasm

Do you have the game currently installed our have a friend who pays it? You can copy that fogger to an external. Wow does write to registry our any thing like that so you can copy and paste and play.

Sciz

Just copy your WoW folder off to some external media. HDD, flash drive, burn some DVDs if you need to. You can toss it onto the new drive problem-free.

LogicStep

Just copy your WoW folder off to some external media. HDD, flash drive, burn some DVDs if you need to. You can toss it onto the new drive problem-free.

Perfect, didn't know you could do this. Thank you.

Another quick question. Why is it that every time I click on my WoW short cut to launch the game, 2 launchers boot up instead of just one? Anyone else had this happen?

I haven't had sound on in WoW since Day 1.

I don't get people who do this (for any game). Besides just being enjoyable (at least some of the time), sound can offer useful cues for combat or otherwise.

Even if I turn the music off or on low to listen to my own music or podcasts (especially for an MMO), I'll always keep other sound effects on.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Perfect, didn't know you could do this. Thank you.

Another quick question. Why is it that every time I click on my WoW short cut to launch the game, 2 launchers boot up instead of just one? Anyone else had this happen?
What does it say under target when you click properties on the short cut?

Top Bottom