• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

How is Paladin Ret these days?
I thought of rolling either Rogue or Paladin but prefer DPS not healing or tanking with Paladin. Last I heard it was pretty "boring"/unrewarding to play as Ret.

Also which of these two is least gear dependent?

GLopez12

Neo Member
CarbonatedFalcon said:
They do okay in BGs when they can stand behind the rest of the crowd, but arena is not the venue for them.
What? I play death knight / hunter / healer at 2800. Hunters are fine; they just only work with certain cleave-like comps.

Alucrid

Banned
GLopez12 said:
What? I play death knight / hunter / healer at 2800. Hunters are fine; they just only work with certain cleave-like comps.

You have to admit, to get the same results as something like a warrior or frost mage you have to put in way more work.

Dresden

Alucrid said:
You have to admit, to get the same results as something like a warrior or frost mage you have to put in way more work.
That's how it's always been. Some classes just take more work or have a higher skill cap or rely on a gimmicky comp. It's always better to have too many options than too little, though.

That said almost anything works with a frost DK right now. :p

Melhisedek said:
Once every two minutes you're a fucking God (assuming there's no one dispelling you). Outside of that you're spinning the roulette with every swing.

I hear they're fine in PVE though. I have an 85 retadin that I don't play because I just don't enjoy the style of their DPS - it's extremely clunky imo.

Alucrid

Banned
Dresden said:
That's how it's always been. Some classes just take more work or have a higher skill cap or rely on a gimmicky comp. It's always better to have too many options than too little, though.

That said almost anything works with a frost DK right now. :p

Once every two minutes you're a fucking God (assuming there's no one dispelling you). Outside of that you're spinning the roulette with every swing.

I hear they're fine in PVE though. I have an 85 retadin that I don't play because I just don't enjoy the style of their DPS - it's extremely clunky imo.

My friend just needs to get his Druid to 85 then we can have healz. Until then I just camo and wait for his unholy DK to take the them on then spring out. Then again I'm undergeared and didn't have my macros/talents/glyphs set up, but we still managed to go 4-8.

PatzCU

Sebulon3k said:
In this case it was cause 2 healers sucked and couldn't heal to save their life. It's really painful cause I have 3 healers at 85, which makes anyone that's terrible, look really terrible.

In better news, working on my last healer toon, and just discovered how fun Balance Druids are, love classes that have a secondary resource to manage.

I rerolled a Resto Druid to play in Arena recently (had a Holy Paladin which was completely worthless) and have found I love playing balance. Easily the most fun DPS spec for me. I wish I had discovered it earlier.

Alucrid

Banned
PatzCU said:
I rerolled a Resto Druid to play in Arena recently (had a Holy Paladin which was completely worthless) and have found I love playing balance. Easily the most fun DPS spec for me. I wish I had discovered it earlier.

I've been conflicted whether to roll a Shaman or a Druid as an alt. I tried a pally but it's just too...slow I guess. My DK is something I'm working on, but that's probably on the back burner right now. I did level a druid to 60 in vanilla, but I'm guessing that they're vastly different now?

Dresden

Alucrid said:
I've been conflicted whether to roll a Shaman or a Druid as an alt. I tried a pally but it's just too...slow I guess. My DK is something I'm working on, but that's probably on the back burner right now. I did level a druid to 60 in vanilla, but I'm guessing that they're vastly different now?
Shamans aren't worth it right now, unless you enjoy healing. I'm hoping that the new patch buffs ele enough for them to be viable in pvp (so I can start playing my formerly enhancment shaman that's been gathering dust), but I doubt it.

Alucrid

Banned
Dresden said:
Shamans aren't worth it right now, unless you enjoy healing. I'm hoping that the new patch buffs ele enough for them to be viable in pvp (so I can start playing my formerly enhancment shaman that's been gathering dust), but I doubt it.

Well, that's good to know lol. I think I might re-roll a druid then, especially since I won't be playing another mail wearing character. I'm not the biggest fan of tanking or healing though, mainly because I dislike the 'responsibility' that comes with it. I'll probably give it a shot in lower dungeons though. Are addons a huge help in regards to healing? I think I have healbot disabled in the addons menu because I don't know how to use it lol.

Alucrid said:
Well, that's good to know lol. I think I might re-roll a druid then, especially since I won't be playing another mail wearing character. I'm not the biggest fan of tanking or healing though, mainly because I dislike the 'responsibility' that comes with it. I'll probably give it a shot in lower dungeons though. Are addons a huge help in regards to healing? I think I have healbot disabled in the addons menu because I don't know how to use it lol.

The only thing I find really necessary for healing is some sort of hud for easy targeting, be it grid, healbot, vuhdo, or whatever. Personally I like grid with a few tweaks to let me know when hots are up, whether I can dispel something, etc. I use mouseover macros for most of that rather than setting it up for just clicking so the input method doesn't differ too much from my tank or dps setups.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Personnally for healing, i just use the default raid UI, even for 5 mans,(which is all im healing so far) and just put the health bars right next to my character. They're all easy to select and to watch and its impossible to miss the debuffs i can dispel and it works great for heroics.

I don't feel the need to waste time configuring healing addons, yeah im lazy.

suzu

Alucrid said:
Yeah addons help immensely. Healbot is the easiest to set up, and Vuhdo is also good. You can probably find tutorial videos on how to use them. They are really not that difficult to configure.

bjb

Banned
Melhisedek said:
I thought of rolling either Rogue or Paladin but prefer DPS not healing or tanking with Paladin. Last I heard it was pretty "boring"/unrewarding to play as Ret.

Also which of these two is least gear dependent?

You'll get into a lot more groups / guilds as a quality rogue - rather than a Ret.

As a holy / prot paladin, I can't stand Ret. It's so boring and you essentially have to be braindead not to be play it halfway decently.

bjb

Banned
Dresden said:
This isn't WotlK anymore, ret is about as involved as every other melee dps, just clunkier.

I have only played rogue and warrior, but unlike Ret, neither of those classes (to my knowledge) has button icon on default UI lighting up every 30 seconds telling me which attack to use like an idiot.

idlewild_

bjb said:
I have only played rogue and warrior, but unlike Ret, neither of those classes (to my knowledge) has button icon on default UI lighting up every 30 seconds telling me which attack to use like an idiot.

not sure about rogues, but RB/Slam/Shield Slam/Revenge/etc. light up just fine tyvm.

Dresden

bjb said:

Art of War procs aren't even the top priority right now; all it does is let you know that a certain ability is available for use. Plenty of dps classes get proc indicators on-screen. Add in the Inquisition mechanic + Holy Power management (well, "management" since it's 3 or nothing for ret) and it's nowhere near as faceroll as it was before.

Alex

I like configuring addons! I'm weird like that. But I still use a compilation UI, ElvUI is something I like very much.

For healing I'd probably still use Grid unless I was a Shaman then I'd probably use Vuhdo. Vuhdo needs a tutorial in order to rig it up properly so that's probably a blockade for a lot of people :lol

Thoraxes

One more week till my guild raids again!
We stopped because nobody really needs anything, and being 7/13 heroics isn't going to do us any good when all the gear we want from the current tier is useless compared to the Firelands stuff in a week.

Ugh, this patch needs to happen. I just want to have a reason to play again!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A long time coming. :D

triph.png

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm going to start a new paladin but can't think of a clever name. I'm trying to think of something Game of Thrones related...Madkingkilla

Einchy - congrats on Long,Strange Trip! I finished mine up with Children's Week this year. Fire Festival is probably my favorite holiday though even if it's not the "best" one. I love the theme and I'm pretty certain it was going on when I first made a trial account willy nilly in 2007 or 2008 before I actually started playing. It made an impression on me!

GLopez12

Neo Member
Alucrid said:
Even though I will agree hunters are generally weaker and limited, this isn't exactly true. The hunter comps that work are actually pretty easy because they're cleaves.

BloodElfHunter said:
Enjoying your AJ ban?
I have a surprise for you and the rest of Arena Junkies in a week!

I haven't played in months and months now and I have an itch to just dick around and make a new character. Excepting Hunter, I've raided with every class out there and PvP'd with almost as many. I think I have a mind to start completely fresh on a server I have no history on. Anyone here having a blast with a guild full of relatively talkative people? I like reading active guild chats while leveling.

lordmrw

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Einchy - congrats on Long,Strange Trip! I finished mine up with Children's Week this year. Fire Festival is probably my favorite holiday though even if it's not the "best" one. I love the theme and I'm pretty certain it was going on when I first made a trial account willy nilly in 2007 or 2008 before I actually started playing. It made an impression on me!

The Fire Festival is my favorite holiday event next to Brewfest. I remember about 2 years ago I was completely flat broke. I spent 3 hours opening lockboxes for tips and made about 600 gold and then went around to EVERY fire for the gold. Mind you this was a few months after I had starting playing WOW so with the exception of using my skinning to make gold the thought of capitalizing on my professions was alien. It really impressed me and I love the Tabard I got out of it.

Alucrid

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
Don't forget, DKs can battle rez.

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. What? That's crazy...just crazy. Where are all the cool new hunter abilities? What the fuck. Sure, Camo, but that's meeh.

Dresden

Alucrid said:
Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. What? That's crazy...just crazy. Where are all the cool new hunter abilities? What the fuck. Sure, Camo, but that's meeh.
At least hunters didn't get stuck with Unleash Elements and Earthquake. ^_^

Alucrid

Banned
Dresden said:
At least hunters didn't get stuck with Unleash Elements and Earthquake. ^_^

Not sure what class that is. Shaman? I mean, you can summon two (or three?) wolves out and shit. Hunters should get some ultra attack where all your pets are summoned and they reign havoc or some stupid shit like that. Then I'll actually spec BM.

I'm just mad that a geared Shaman won the agil cloak from the Fire Festival boss. Stupid shamans.

Also, do pallys have the best stun in the game or is that just me?

Finally, I really think that T2 armor looks way better than T11 from what I've seen.

Bisnic

Shamans had wolves for a long time, did you just start playing after a very long break or something?

Alucrid said:
Not sure what class that is. Shaman? I mean, you can summon two (or three?) wolves out and shit. Hunters should get some ultra attack where all your pets are summoned and they reign havoc or some stupid shit like that. Then I'll actually spec BM.

I'm just mad that a geared Shaman won the agil cloak from the Fire Festival boss. Stupid shamans.

Also, do pallys have the best stun in the game or is that just me?

Finally, I really think that T2 armor looks way better than T11 from what I've seen.

No joke, that should be the final talent in the BM tree. Awesome.

Alucrid said:

Didn't they get availability of a version of every raid buff in the game through pets? I'd say that's an expansion of abilities.

Alucrid

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Didn't they get availability of a version of every raid buff in the game through pets? I'd say that's an expansion of abilities.

Eh. Some require you to be BM specced for the best ones. The others...well this.

petflowchart3.jpg

Get pretty much overwritten by other classes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having dropped my acct. after 4.1, I figured I would revisit the game after 4.2 to see what happened....only to find that 4.2 isn't even out yet.

What is Blizzard thinking? It's late June, right? o_O

bjb

Banned
Alright so we started heroic Chim last night. Got really close on Magmaw twice (phase 2), but decided to move on since we only have so much time.

So far we're 2/13 after starting so late into the expansion.

Could use a few suggestions about our strat since we couldn't get past two fueds. Our setup:

3 Tanks (2 Warriors & Feral Druid)
3 Healers (2 Holy Paladins & Resto Shaman)
4 DPS (Feral Druid, DK, Hunter, Warlock)

- We had one "fresh" tank ready to taunt Chim during fued to eat the first double attack. Paladin would use LoH to top him off right after massacre.

- After the first double attack during fued, our original break tank would taunt it back, and our original OT would be ready to eat the next double attacks.

- Our raid was stacked up like normal to maximize AoE healing. Although our comp sucks since we have 2 holy paladins.

- We had two main problems. First, raid dps kept dying. I'm assuming it not being above 10% for caustic slime. This was especially the case during fued.

- Our break tank kept dying during fued after taunting back after the double attack. I'm not sure, but maybe we're missing a mechanic here. Or our rotation is garbage.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how your guy's guild does it on 10m would be appreciated.

Alex

Having dropped my acct. after 4.1, I figured I would revisit the game after 4.2 to see what happened....only to find that 4.2 isn't even out yet.

It's on Tuesday, it was supposed to be this week but it got delayed for a bug patch to the PTR.

Saw this posted on Reddit.

Hah, surprisingly good for one of these fan videos, the voice work is good too.

Bisnic

Angry Grimace said:

What is Blizzard thinking? It's late June, right? o_O

I think it was supposed to be out this week(even their official trailer was out last week), but they delayed it for june 28th for some reason.

edit : Bah, that will teach me to not refresh a page before posting.

PatzCU

Alucrid said:

My god... They should, they can call it "Stampede".

Aeris130

bjb said:
- We had two main problems. First, raid dps kept dying. I'm assuming it not being above 10% for caustic slime. This was especially the case during fued.

During non-feud time, the "raid HP > 10%" i just the same as on normal. No change whatsoever when it comes to raid healing. Your healers are failing hardcore if this is the case. As for the feud phase, you just have to top everyone using only 2 healers. Heal more, there aren't any shortcuts, and healer comp. isn't that crucial since no class has a CD that makes them godlike compared to other healers in every feud phase. Even Holy Pallys doesn't have issues topping 9 people.

bjb said:
- Our break tank kept dying during fued after taunting back after the double attack. I'm not sure, but maybe we're missing a mechanic here. Or our rotation is garbage.

Your rotation is garbage. First of all, use 2 tanks and 1 dps tank (preferrably an aggro-magnet like Warrior or DK). The dps tank tanks Chim just like on normal and takes all non-feud break stacks. You only need to top him above 10% just like on normal, which is easy considering he has 2 Beacon of Light on him.

When the feud starts, the current Double hit tank taunts Chim and tanks the whole feud. Pop CD's on the Double hit (there's only 1 double hit per feud, it comes after 10 seconds: [5 sec.] -> melee swing -> [5 sec] -> Doubel hit -> ...).

P1: Tank 1 tanks Double hits, Tank 2 stands around doing whatever a tank does when he's not tanking.
Feud: Tank 1 tanks Chim the whole phase.
P1: Tank 2 tanks Double hits.
Feud: tank 2 tanks the whole feud.
P1: Tank 1 tanks Double hits.
Feud: tank 1 tanks the whole feud.

..and so on.

TheYanger

They asploded. there have been updates from mmoc on facebook all day. Just making sure that their new hardware won't asplode now afaik.

Alucrid

Banned
Can anyone explain to me what's being upgraded in terms of PVP/PVE gear? Should I spend my conquest points now before they turn into Honor points or should I wait because both the conquest gear is being upgraded and the honor items are?

Top Bottom