• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

I'm jealous of everyone who has won a fishing tournament. I gave up. So annoying that my last needed achievement for the Salty title came down to winning a stupid tournament that everyone and their mom show up to every single week. Lame lame lame. Probably over a year of trying to win that crap with no luck.

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm jealous of everyone who has won a fishing tournament. I gave up. So annoying that my last needed achievement for the Salty title came down to winning a stupid tournament that everyone and their mom show up to every single week. Lame lame lame. Probably over a year of trying to win that crap with no luck.

The Northrend one is pretty much pure luck with a bit of strategy. The STV has some more strategy involved and tiny class advantages make a huge difference (e.g. mount speed, water walking), but I'm not going to say I wasn't lucky either. Really got my heart pumping whenever I was competing in a fishing tournament, probably more so than most raids.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Last day of "old" content today! Yay!

How long have we been waiting for this again? Almost 7 months.

Hopefully, 4.3 is going to be this year. Ha. Ha.

strafer

Bisnic said:
Last day of "old" content today! Yay!

How long have we been waiting for this again? Almost 7 months.

Hopefully, 4.3 is going to be this year. Ha. Ha.

I can guarantee you that once 4.2 is out they will be putting out info on 4.3 and soon hit PTR.

Bisnic

Strafer said:
I can guarantee you that once 4.2 is out they will be putting out info on 4.3 and soon hit PTR.

I suppose 4.3 won't take this long since 4.2 had the excuse of "Well, people have to lvl up , see all the new zones & quests and farm rep & gear in 5 mans before starting raids". Although, 7 months was too long even with this excuse.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The Northrend one is pretty much pure luck with a bit of strategy. The STV has some more strategy involved and tiny class advantages make a huge difference (e.g. mount speed, water walking), but I'm not going to say I wasn't lucky either. Really got my heart pumping whenever I was competing in a fishing tournament, probably more so than most raids.
I've wanted that title for so long. And it would have been perfect with my gnome lock: Salty Discobiscuit. Aw well. I'm planning on building a desktop pc (been using a laptop for 6 years). Once I get that done, I'll have some more freedom to get back into computer gaming and maybe do some screwin around in wow again.

Deputy Moonman said:

One of my guildies won the first Northrend one on our server on her second cast without even knowing there was a fishing contest going on.

A few weeks later I caught the shark but someone else managed to turn one in when I was hearthing back to Dalaran. Shit.

Dunlop

Figures the patch is tomorrow, I haven't missed a single raid since cata and I will be leaving for camping tomorrow

boo bliz :p

Mister Zimbu said:
One of my guildies won the first Northrend one on our server on her second cast without even knowing there was a fishing contest going on.

A few weeks later I caught the shark but someone else managed to turn one in when I was hearthing back to Dalaran. Shit.
That sucks. I would have been hosed when hearthing due to uber slow loading in dalaran.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I got drunk for the first time in months and resubbed.I always want to play drunk. lol. I haven't played in a month and my monitor has been on 0 contrast and 0 brightness in the mean time to see if it'd help my vision. Eye strain and such. The internet in general looked amazing cranking it back up to standard. One upon a time my first PC's monitor developed a yellow tint for some reason and me and my sister would be amazed when the normal color came back for a few hours. Anyways, wow graphics amazed me. It looked so sharp.

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
I got drunk for the first time in months and resubbed.I always want to play drunk. lol. I haven't played in a month and my monitor has been on 0 contrast and 0 brightness in the mean time to see if it'd help my vision. Eye strain and such. The internet in general looked amazing cranking it back up to standard. One upon a time my first PC's monitor developed a yellow tint for some reason and me and my sister would be amazed when the normal color came back for a few hours. Anyways, wow graphics amazed me. It looked so sharp.

I really like the water effects and the graphics in terms of the style the game has. I also think the new models (worgen) look pretty good but the old ones (ie human female) look a bit dated. Still, getting to the new areas (outland/north/cata content) was still pretty impresive.

HixxSAFC said:
Imagine what it was like getting to 450 without the daily boosts.

Never again!

There is a dedicated WoW fishing site that is great: http://www.elsanglin.com/

Everything you will ever want to know + more

Damn, thanks. That's pretty comprehensive lol.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The ones in the major cities (Org, SW, etc.) are the Cata ones. They didn't exist before Cata released. Otherwise everyone else has you covered.

Speaking of fishing, this reminded me that if(haha...when) I resub again for a bit I need to work on my fishing achievements. I won the tourney in Stranglethorn once before Cata released and flying changed the game, so I have the hardest achievement for Salty done. Still never had luck with the Northrend tourney though. A repeat performance in STV would also be nice to get the pole to go with the trinket I picked the first time - they improved the model on the pole since I won.

Ah damn, I was hoping for more daily quest.

In other news I still haven't found a guild that I like. When I first started I was randomly invited to one when I was like level 8 and it turned out really awesome. Got through MC, Ony and 2-3 kills into BWL with them before it fell apart. :| No such luck this time though.

FLEABttn

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:

My girlfriend got it. It required waiting for the initial Salty rush to die down a little, a PvP server, about 3 people protecting her, 9 people as a roaming gank squad, and 3 people on the other faction we were feeding info to on which people on our faction they needed to kill.

It took a number of days to plan, coordinate, and execute. And even with all that going in her favor, it only held off the number 2 person by about a minute or two.

FLEABttn said:
My girlfriend got it. It required waiting for the initial Salty rush to die down a little, a PvP server, about 3 people protecting her, 9 people as a roaming gank squad, and 3 people on the other faction we were feeding info to on which people on our faction they needed to kill.

It took a number of days to plan, coordinate, and execute. And even with all that going in her favor, it only held off the number 2 person by about a minute or two.

Definitely the effort to get it on a PvP server is harder with the risk of being ganked while fishing, especially for the STV contest. The Northrend one has people more spread out. I've only really been on PvE servers so I've lucked out for some things like the fishing contest, but I wouldn't mind being on a PvP server.

The great thing about my win was that a fellow guildmate had won for his second time the week previous (maybe two weeks previous) and helped me out a bit in terms of strategy. It was good to win right after he did.

FLEABttn

Banned
PvP server I think is an easier win to secure if you really organize it like we did. You can protect your fisher and you can kill all others. PvE server sounds way more like luck of the draw.

Thoraxes

Man, I think my guild is trying to merge to be a 25-man guild.
Maybe it's time for me to bail out now.
The main reason I was so happy with the 10-mans was because they were a lot more stress-free, easy to put together, and no loot drama (used suicide kings). There was no officer/peon hierarchy, and everyone was an equal, we had a ton of fun, and managed to knock out more than half of the hard-modes for raiding.
I liked my 5 years, but man, I don't really see myself raiding super hardcore 4-days a week, 5 hours a day, 25-man progression, i'm too old for that and don't have as much time as I used to.

ampere

Deputy Moonman said:
I remember after 10 weeks of trying I got a black tipped shark, hearthed and as I'm 30 yards away from the Kal'uak guy... an undead turns in it (I was ally).

And of course someone in my guild won it first try

/sigh

FLEABttn said:

OK that sounds awesome

My main is on a PvP server and I never really had trouble with ganking, but I never used it to my advantage either.

Alucrid

Banned
Man. I went from Balance to Feral Cat and it's soooo much better. :(

Oh, can anyone give me suggestions on what professions to do for my Druid and DK? I guess ones that would make money.

Long post is long incoming:

Alucrid said:
Oh, can anyone give me suggestions on what professions to do for my Druid and DK? I guess ones that would make money.

Jewelcrafting is by far the most profitable profession, especially with an alchemist to transmute gems (coming from someone who has most professions maxed), but you would be behind the game on recipes at the moment. However if you saved up tokens and cashed them out in the next patch (or two) whenever epic gems are released you could stand to make much more money than you could now, especially in the initial rush.

Speaking of initial rush, gems are going to be in very high demand for the next month and beyond as people start to kill Firelands bosses and replace gear. This may be tempered somewhat by the large fall-off in people playing that has occurred though.

The main reason gems are so good is that they are the most expensive high volume item on the market.

For alchemists, selling flasks was neutered a bit with the guild cauldrons, and potions never sold too well in the first place with all but the very hardcore skipping them (except perhaps mana potions, now that those don't drop off mobs.) Transmutation is a decent business, and will be better with epic gems that have a cooldown coming at some point.

Enchanting is okay, but I'm sure by down prices have died down much from when I could sell Maelstrom Crystals for 1.5k-3k a pop (I lucked out a bit with the alchemist stone trick, though it was hotfixed right as I was trying to make more one day.) Enchants themselves are not the most profitable, though the market may be better now with fewer people leveling up and dumping all the scrolls they needed to make to level on the auction house for less than the price of the mats.

Inscription can be good, but it's probably more micro-intensive to keep at than the other professions and probably not worth it at this point since you would be months behind on recipes, even if/when they do change the Northrend books to being learnable through research (I have a maxed scribe with all recipes, but I never made too much money with him other than the initial glyph rush when they first became one-use.) If you did really get into it though you could sell rarer glyphs for hundreds of gold and people will buy them because they have no alternative and there aren't that many scribes in general.

Engineering is almost completely a money-sink, so don't get that if you want to make money.

The gear-crafting professions go through boom and bust cycles whenever new recipes are released, but things like leg armor and belt buckles will always be moving some, just not in as high a volume as gems.

The gathering professions are all good money-makers if you don't mind spending more time to make money than a well-operated production profession, and of course paired up with a production profession you can increase your margin if you don't have to buy things off the AH, and can go and gather if prices are high or an ingredient you need is not available.

That said, any crafting profession that matches your armor type is a good choice, and pairing that up with its corresponding gathering profession is fine until you can afford to drop the gathering profession. Mining will always be acceptable for tanks, though it's still weaker than other professions, especially if you ever take on a different role.

If you didn't take Blacksmithing for extra sockets, Alchemy and Jewelcrafting provide the best bonuses as well as providing a good income. Engineering can work for some people, but the bonuses aren't as clear cut and failure rates on the occasional item make it riskier.

Man, is it just me or is there like 0 hype for this patch out there? Usually on patch day, this thread and other spots around the internet are abuzz with new life, but this one is just kinda flat. I can understand why of course, this thing is about 2 and half months later than it should've been and the trailer for it wasn't too terribly hype either.

Of course, the only thing that really matters is that once we knock down Ragnaros we're one step closer to fighting N'zoth, the old god we'll probably be facing this expansion, which I've already decided in my fevered little brain is going to be the best encounter ever.

theinfinityissue said:
Man, is it just me or is there like 0 hype for this patch out there? Usually on patch day, this thread and other spots around the internet are abuzz with new life, but this one is just kinda flat. I can understand why of course, this thing is about 2 and half months later than it should've been and the trailer for it wasn't too terribly hype either.

Of course, the only thing that really matters is that once we knock down Ragnaros we're one step closer to fighting N'zoth, the old god we'll probably be facing this expansion, which I've already decided in my fevered little brain is going to be the best encounter ever.

A lot of us aren't playing right now, so even though it's a new raid patch, the wind has been knocked from our sails. (I'm the highest or second highest poster in this |OT| and I haven't played much at all since February, even though I was on to do a few things like Children's Week, which I knocked out in a day.)

Currently I'm playing a bit of EVE, although that might be an overstatement since it's almost more fun not to play that game than to play it. Hopefully Blizzard works harder to capture my interest for 4.3 and beyond, but at this point I've become disillusioned from WoW. (The fact that I would have to transfer my character(s) to another server in order to find a raid guild that fits my style doesn't help.)

I'll definitely hop back in at least once or twice before the expansion is over, but currently I'm looking more towards Diablo 3 (or Titan) as a replacement if Blizzard doesn't change the formula up some or release content quicker. It feels like the B-team has been working on WoW for some time now. That's not to say the B-team at Blizzard is bad, certainly they're better than most other developers, but a lot of the more recent content comes off as uninspired to me.

mclem

USAians: Is Occul'thar up? I assumed he'd be postponed to the start of the PvP season, but with the shifting around, it's crossed my mind that he might turn up with the patch. Would help us plan out our first raid night.

mclem said:
USAians: Is Occul'thar up? I assumed he'd be postponed to the start of the PvP season, but with the shifting around, it's crossed my mind that he might turn up with the patch. Would help us plan out our first raid night.

I'm not sure, but you're asking early anyway. It's only 10:15 a.m. Eastern right now and maintenance doesn't normally finish until around 2:00 p.m. - on a patch day it could be as late as 7:00 or 9:00 p.m. as well if things aren't going well.

Yay, patch day.

Though, my 25m guild has been hemorrhaging members lately due to burnout. I truly hope the patch sparks enough interest to get those members who haven't logged in a while to come back.

Though, I can't wait for none of my add-ons to work and for instance servers being down. Probably not even worth trying to raid tonight.

mclem

Regarding everyone talking about major attendance drops and whatnot: That just hasn't happened for us, strangely. We'll generally start a night on about 22 or so but fill the last few spots while clearing trash to the first boss of the night, so we're on 25 by the time we get to the meaty stuff.

That said, we're coming up to Summer, and that's always a slow time for us, so I'm hoping we pull through it; if we can keep raids running up until September, I think we'll be fine.

strafer

US 4.2 is apparently available for download now.

Sometimes I hate being in the EU, why can't they just release it at the same time.

Oh well, more farming to cap honor for me then. :p

mclem

Strafer said:
Sometimes I hate being in the EU, why can't they just release it at the same time.

To be fair, given how (comparitively) smoothly the last few EU patch nights have gone... I'm perfectly happy with keeping the delay in. Most Patch Wednesdays we've been able to raid, albeit with a slight delay while everyone gets their mods in order.

FLEABttn said:
PvP server I think is an easier win to secure if you really organize it like we did. You can protect your fisher and you can kill all others. PvE server sounds way more like luck of the draw.
Organizing it is the hard part, though, especially if you're getting the opposite faction to help out. I play on PvP server and the fact that you can get ganked makes it really difficult without assistance. I always feel like I'm inconveniencing people when asking for help, so I usually try things solo. My own fault that I dont have the title in the end.

mclem said:
To be fair, given how (comparitively) smoothly the last few EU patch nights have gone... I'm perfectly happy with keeping the delay in. Most Patch Wednesdays we've been able to raid, albeit with a slight delay while everyone gets their mods in order.
Our patch day raids consist of waiting for the server to come back up again and again :(

Bisnic

So... has the patch been already delayed for another hour? First of many.

Oh boy, i can't wait to log at 11pm!!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I use very few addons (I think 3-5) and they never seem to be crippled by patches. I am amazed on a regular basis on how many people almost literally can't play on patch days because they are so reliant on all their broken addons.

Getting used to playing with minimal addons = bliss ;)

Mr Pockets said:
I use very few addons (I think 3-5) and they never seem to be crippled by patches. I am amazed on a regular basis on how many people almost literally can't play on patch days because they are so reliant on all their broken addons.

Recount, Dotimer, Power auras, omen, and deadly boss mods for me. I'm on a really old laptop, so I'm afraid to use too many addons for fear of my computer crashing. But if it is for raiding purposes, having the latest DBM or Bigwigs can be really important on a patch day.

I made the mistake of using a compilation. The main things are SUF, Recount, Omen, DBM, Comergy, and Rogue Power Bars.

I can't play without these, much to my detriment; I've grown too used to them.

tF3IN.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Long post is long incoming:

Awesome write up

Thanks for this, sounds like I'll go with JC then, especially since it's one of the 'new' professions.

As for addons I keep it simple. Bartender to get two rows/two columns of bars, dbm, recount, outfitter, and another mod that displays timers on the target in the middle of the screen as well as casting times there too. Oh, and a instant messenger mod too, that's really useful.

Bisnic

Mr Pockets said:

The funniest part is people who are literally unable to heal without addons. In 5 mans. It was even worst when WOTLK heroics were a fucking joke when everyone was in T9/10.

Oh god, the horror of healing 5 people in an easy instance with the default UI. The horror. /sigh

ampere

Bisnic said:
The funniest part is people who are literally unable to heal without addons. In 5 mans. It was even worst when WOTLK heroics were a fucking joke when everyone was in T9/10.

Oh god, the horror of healing 5 people in an easy instance with the default UI. The horror. /sigh
The wrath UI was pretty bad for healing, though by the time dungeon finder hit you barely had to do any healing :lol

The new built in raid frames are actually fantastic for healing, I stopped using addons when Cata hit.

ShadyMilkman said:
I made the mistake of using a compilation. The main things are SUF, Recount, Omen, DBM, Comergy, and Rogue Power Bars.

I can't play without these, much to my detriment; I've grown too used to them.

You can't play without recount or omen?

Bisnic

ciaossu said:
The new built in raid frames are actually fantastic for healing, I stopped using addons when Cata hit.

Yeah i simply use the default raid frames for healing 5 mans, put them right next to my character, and healing is real easy.

Yet people will still refuse to heal 5 mans without their precious addons.

Alex said:
What the fuck, the servers are up on time on a full content patch day.

Wait and see, servers and instances will crash! You will be disconnected! You will lag!

If none of these things happen, i'll be quite surprised.

Alex

Recount is ke-razy busted again, like it was with 4.1, so don't try to log on with it enabled until the author updates it!

Alucrid

Banned
Cool, almost all my stuff is a-okay except, as noted, recount.

WHAT THE FUCK? WHERE IS MY PET AGGRO STANCE HWAD*HUJWAFLNAWKF////////////

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Alex said:
Recount is ke-razy busted again, like it was with 4.1, so don't try to log on with it enabled until the author updates it!

Hmm, that's probably what was causing WoW to stutter so much.

Bisnic

Alucrid said:
Cool, almost all my stuff is a-okay except, as noted, recount.

WHAT THE FUCK? WHERE IS MY PET AGGRO STANCE HWAD*HUJWAFLNAWKF////////////

They got rid of it because of huntards using it in instances. I forgot what the new one does, but i think it is much more useful for groups.

Alucrid

Banned
Bisnic said:
They got rid of it because of huntards using it in instances. I forgot what the new one does, but i think it is much more useful for groups.

That's stupid. So fucking stupid. Aggressive stance was actually really, really useful in PvP. Flare has a longer tick window (and they can vanish inside of it), our freeze traps? Lol, hunter's mark they can get rid of, now I can't even have my pet on aggro before I get ass raped by a rogue (which I more than likely would even after my pet got the preemptive strike) because people are stupid? Really? I mean, that's almost as stupid as the reason they gave as to why multishot got nerfed, because it was "too easy to use." Fuck Blizzard and their stupid bullshit. Now I'm even more useless in PvP. I don't see how assist is better than defend, passive, or even setting up your own macros. Hell, just disable it in instances then. With defend if I attack a target the pet attacks the target, if I get hit, the pet attacks the target. I fail to see what assist can do, unless that only attacks the target I'm attacking and doesn't 'defend' in which case this is still stupid. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Top Bottom