• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

markot

Banned
Used to play on blackrock, havent played for a month or so though!

And I was just joking. (Although it is kinda racist >.<)

I have spent the last few days looking for Mysterious Camel Figurines in Uldum with no luck. Then yesterday I found one after doing a single lap around the map. Even better was that it took me to Dormus the Camel-Hoarder. I was so excited. Before I stopped playing wow back in February or March, I had spent about a month looking for the figurines, only ever finding just one; and that was due to a bit of luck from logging back into wow after doing some fishing near the Ruins of Ammon. Though at that time, the figurine turned to dust/vendor trash. So roughly 6 months later, I finally get my grey camel mount with just my 2nd figurine, ever. I also finally hit exalted with my guild and bought up the two mounts and dark phoenix hatchling. And, I ran Magister's Terrace on normal just for kicks and the other phoenix hatchling dropped. It was like my birthday. Wondering if my luck would continue, I ran Sethekk Halls and Magister's Terrace on heroic. Neither mount dropped, lol. It was worth a shot.
grey_camel_cropped.jpg

ampere

Deputy Moonman said:
I have spent the last few days looking for Mysterious Camel Figurines in Uldum with no luck. Then yesterday I found one after doing a single lap around the map. Even better was that it took me to Dormus the Camel-Hoarder. I was so excited. Before I stopped playing wow back in February or March, I had spent about a month looking for the figurines, only ever finding just one; and that was due to a bit of luck from logging back into wow after doing some fishing near the Ruins of Ammon. Though at that time, the figurine turned to dust/vendor trash. So roughly 6 months later, I finally get my grey camel mount with just my 2nd figurine, ever. I also finally hit exalted with my guild and bought up the two mounts and dark phoenix hatchling. And, I ran Magister's Terrace on normal just for kicks and the other phoenix hatchling dropped. It was like my birthday. Wondering if my luck would continue, I ran Sethekk Halls and Magister's Terrace on heroic. Neither mount dropped, lol. It was worth a shot.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/sponger14/grey_camel_cropped.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I think I'm done raiding, but I still like collecting stuff like this.

I'm currently doing some rare mob hunting in Outland/Northrend

McNei1y

Losing gear to a non guildie replacement is a dagger. Would've been my first piece from firelands after passing and getting loot counciled for 3 weeks.

TheYanger said:
Start with baleroc next week. problem solved!
I was just about ready to bring this idea up with my raid when Rag decided not to drop one either.

Edit: Insert whining about drop rates in 25m...

Negator

I got back into wow recently. Trying to gear up with the 10 man alt raid that runs when our main raid isn't running. It's rough playing catch-up to people with Firelands gear, but I'm slowly getting geared up because I'm the only rogue in the 10 man, with no feral druids.

Both weeks I ran the alt run, we cleared up to Ragnaros but we had issues with people having to go. I really wish I could raid with the main raid again, but with my current work schedule it is impossible.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Negator said:
I got back into wow recently. Trying to gear up with the 10 man alt raid that runs when our main raid isn't running. It's rough playing catch-up to people with Firelands gear, but I'm slowly getting geared up because I'm the only rogue in the 10 man, with no feral druids.

Both weeks I ran the alt run, we cleared up to Ragnaros but we had issues with people having to go. I really wish I could raid with the main raid again, but with my current work schedule it is impossible.
The alt raid getting up to Rag is pretty good.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Better than my main raid in fact. We'll prob get majordomo down tonight.

It'd be nice to be into heroic, but I've known 8/10 of these guys since 2005.

ciaossu said:
I think I'm done raiding, but I still like collecting stuff like this.

I'm currently doing some rare mob hunting in Outland/Northrend
Yeah, I don't have time to commit to 3-4 nights of raiding, but I still enjoy just doing random stuff. Lately I've been killing foxes in TB. Perhaps, someday, the pet will drop. I'd like to get up to 125 companions. Then I'll figure something else to do. Last week I killed Jadefang for the tiny shale spider companion, which by itself isn't really that cool, but I didn't have the quest to blow myself up to the ledge when npc_scan went off. So I used the pulled ethernet cable trick where you fly into the tunnel and pull the cable out for 5 second intervals to get to the ledge without being dismounted. It took a couple of tries, but I finally got it.

Negator

24FrameDaVinci said:
For real, you say it like it's no big deal. I'd fucking kill for a guild group that skilled and geared.

Our guild has always pushed through heroic 25 man content since TBC. I love playing at that level and killing those bosses in heroic mode. Right now they're working on heroic Alysrazor 25.

Going from that to 10 man normal feels kind of unfulfilling. I can't really complain too much though, I don't currently have the skill or gear to contribute to the 25 man heroic modes anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
So what's the difference between 10 man, 10 man heroic, 25 man, 25 man heroic? Do the 25 mans drop better loot than the 10?

YESSS. An obsidium cleaver I got last night sold for 50k. I'M RIIIICH.

RPGCrazied

I have 127 marks of the world tree! Damn, once I get 150, I have to get 150 all over again? Please tell me you get more marks a day or something.

Alucrid

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I have 127 marks of the world tree! Damn, once I get 150, I have to get 150 all over again? Please tell me you get more marks a day or something.

New dailies open up, but the jump isn't huge. You have to get 300, then 375. Good luck. :p

RPGCrazied

Alucrid said:
New dailies open up, but the jump isn't huge. You have to get 300, then 375. Good luck. :p

In total? Like with the 150 I'm gonna get soon, and the other 150 is 300? Or do you mean 300 after the 150 turn in?

Wow.

Alucrid

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
In total? Like with the 150 I'm gonna get soon, and the other 150 is 300? Or do you mean 300 after the 150 turn in?

Wow.

Two 150 turn ins, one of which you're almost done with (talon/warden), then three 125 turn ins for the vendors. You get new dailies and one or two non-repeatable quests that reward marks on the way though.

RPGCrazied

Alucrid said:
Two 150 turn ins, one of which you're almost done with (talon/warden), then three 125 turn ins for the vendors. You get new dailies and one or two non-repeatable quests that reward marks on the way though.

I've been doing this a week, so another month to go? Lol. Thanks for the fast reply.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's not that bad actually, it takes only ~5 days to get 125 marks once you're done with the first two 150 marks quests. So, once you're done with the two 150 marks quests, it will take you around 15 days to complete everything that's left and get your mount and all other rewards.

ampere

Alucrid said:
So what's the difference between 10 man, 10 man heroic, 25 man, 25 man heroic? Do the 25 mans drop better loot than the 10?
10 - regular: ilevel 378 gear, 2 pieces per boss and 120 valor points
25 - regular: ilevel 378 gear, 6 pieces per boss and 140 valor points

heroics: same thing, but ilevel 391 gear

25s drop more loot, but from the same loot pool.

The lockout is shared, so you can only kill a boss once a week per character.

Alucrid

Banned
ciaossu said:
10 - regular: ilevel 378 gear, 2 pieces per boss and 120 valor points
25 - regular: ilevel 378 gear, 6 pieces per boss and 140 valor points

heroics: same thing, but ilevel 391 gear

25s drop more loot, but from the same loot pool.

The lockout is shared, so you can only kill a boss once a week per character.

Ah, ok, thanks. Six pieces though, that sounds nice. If only my guild did 25 mans lol.

So what's the story on Firelands BoE drops now? I understand it was nerfed pretty hard to prevent people soloing trash, but there is a lot of argument over how much. My guild has several raid groups and I'm on the one playing T11 content. I've done exactly one trash run in the Firelands and nothing dropped, but I'm not encouraged for the future. Our progression raid group gets epics after beating a boss or two but even that's not standard.

I need that damned Ranseur of Hatred. :)

vilmer_

I've been doing a fair bit of dueling the past little bit as a frost mage and I am getting my ass kicked by rogues lately. Usually I do pretty well against people, and other rogues for the most part but I've run into a couple that just totally destroy me... It seems they have endless trinkets! I think it would help if I actually knew what spells/abilities rogues have as I've never even tried one :/

PatzCU

vilmer_ said:
I've been doing a fair bit of dueling the past little bit as a frost mage and I am getting my ass kicked by rogues lately. Usually I do pretty well against people, and other rogues for the most part but I've run into a couple that just totally destroy me... It seems they have endless trinkets! I think it would help if I actually knew what spells/abilities rogues have as I've never even tried one :/

Rogues are basically THE dueling class so I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'm pretty sure they can win 1v1 against any class if they are skilled enough. They have shitloads of cooldowns, but it takes a smart rogue to use them properly.

th3dude

A few questions from a newer player:

* Should I be worried about how I progress through the story/stories? As of now when I quest I just go to where the war boards send me.

* I assume I shouldn't worry much about gear until I hit 85? Just keep grabbing stuff from quests/dungeons?

* I'm finding it hard to keep my blacksmithing up as high as my mining. I never find myself with the right materials to keep it up. Any tips?

* At what point do I switch away from questing/dungeons and move to raiding? How's all that work?

Thanks!

sn1pes said:

* Should I be worried about how I progress through the story/stories? As of now when I quest I just go to where the war boards send me.

* I assume I shouldn't worry much about gear until I hit 85? Just keep grabbing stuff from quests/dungeons?

* I'm finding it hard to keep my blacksmithing up as high as my mining. I never find myself with the right materials to keep it up. Any tips?

* At what point do I switch away from questing/dungeons and move to raiding? How's all that work?

Thanks!

*Read the quests if you want and follow bread crumbs if you want an overarching storyline, but most areas have self-contained stories now.

*Wait until 85.

*Wait until 85.

*Wait until 85.

Alucrid

Banned
devildog820 said:
So what's the story on Firelands BoE drops now? I understand it was nerfed pretty hard to prevent people soloing trash, but there is a lot of argument over how much. My guild has several raid groups and I'm on the one playing T11 content. I've done exactly one trash run in the Firelands and nothing dropped, but I'm not encouraged for the future. Our progression raid group gets epics after beating a boss or two but even that's not standard.

I need that damned Ranseur of Hatred. :)

Me too. I'm tempted to buy it for 27k, but I only have like 54k so I dunno if I should wait seeing as I've had it drop three times so far and lost each one.

PatzCU said:
Rogues are basically THE dueling class so I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'm pretty sure they can win 1v1 against any class if they are skilled enough. They have shitloads of cooldowns, but it takes a smart rogue to use them properly.

A good (sub?) rogue can keep you locked down. No shame in that.

suzu

sn1pes said:

Just keep doing what you're doing now. If you care about lore, you can always go back and do quests for achievements or something. Gear and raiding doesn't matter till you've hit max lvl 85.

As for professions, they are kinda hard to keep up while you're leveling. You can take a break and focus on collecting materials/raising professions.. but I find it easier to just continue straight to 85 and then go farm materials when I have a fast flying mount.

sn1pes said:

Thanks!

As a former newer player (har har) I think I can answer these. I started playing in earnest around February of this year and had never played an MMO before that. The last RPG I played was FF7. Or maybe X. Can't remember.

If you care about the stories then you should worry about them. I started out doing all the quests and finishing all the story lines. But that will bog you down because you will level faster than the quest storylines. For example, a chain of quests may all be for level 23s, but by the time you get halfway through you've hit level 26 (extreme case). I made it to level 30 before really just powering through.

If you get the "Carbonite" addon, you can bring up your map and mouse over zones to see where level appropriate quests are. Or the quest completist will just show you all quests (but not all may be available).

Don't stress gear, just make sure you get the right kind of gear. For example, if you are a feral druid then you need leather agility gear. If you are a Protection Paladin, then you need strength and stamina mail until level 40, then plate after that. Quests give good stuff sometimes, but dungeons usually have better. Just click "Need" (the dice) when your gear comes up. When you hit 85, start farming the dungeons. Once your gear averages 316 (I think) you can run heroics. That's where all the Blue and purple gear (the gear name is in blue or purple) starts to drop. You have to farm heroic dungeons and use the Justice Points vendor to get a high enough average to move on to the Zandalari "dungeons". That's when you can really get your pre-raiding gear and Valor Points gear.

I wouldn't worry about leveling professions religiously until you hit 85 and need something to do while waiting for a queue to pop. It's so much nicer (especially for mining) to be able to fly right to the mining nodes and what not. I leveled my 85 druid to 525 in mining in just a few days, from level 1. Just did it while I was waiting for ZAZG queues.

You can switch from questing/dungeons to raiding at level 85 with the right gear. There is a website that is pretty accurate at assessing gear, plus telling you where to get the stuff you need.

Go to http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear and click "Pick a Character". It will load your in game character and give you a list of stuff. It can be kind of confusing at first, but you'll get used to it. Make sure the gear level dropdown box is set to Pre-ZA/ZG and then click the Best In Slot tab. The drop location tab will tell you where to get the BiS stuff. When you can meet a good chunk of the "pre-raid" dropdown, then you are ready to raid.

Also, check Elitist Jerks forums for specifics about your class. They have excellent writeups.

That was a bunch of crap, but I would be happy to explain further. Just drop me a PM or whatever.

edit: A bunch of people on here were super helpful, but they also had muscle memory because they had been playing so long. So if something doesn't make sense, just ask.

vilmer_

Alucrid said:
A good (sub?) rogue can keep you locked down. No shame in that.

This is exactly the spec I was dueling... These guys/gals I think were new to the server and had qt attached to their name. I've seen that a lot in arenas.

th3dude

Wow, thanks so much for the great responses, especially devildog.

I think I have a much better understanding for what I should do now. It seems like its more 'get to 85 then go back and do whatever you want' rather then 'you better do x now or you'll miss your chance'.

I'll probably start running more dungeons rather than questing, both for the XP and gear. Also dungeons seem to be nice for Rep.

Thanks again, everyone.

sn1pes said:
Wow, thanks so much for the great responses, especially devildog.

I think I have a much better understanding for what I should do now. It seems like its more 'get to 85 then go back and do whatever you want' rather then 'you better do x now or you'll miss your chance'.

I'll probably start running more dungeons rather than questing, both for the XP and gear. Also dungeons seem to be nice for Rep.

Thanks again, everyone.

Not at all. My damage output (DPS) was 4,000 two months ago when I was running heroics. Super low. A couple of Gaffers and later some of my guild-mates jumped that to 13,000 in less than a week. So we can help. :)

You also can pretty much go back and do anything that you missed along the way. I went and ran an old 40-man Raid all by myself, just to see it.

Alucrid said:

YESSS. An obsidium cleaver I got last night sold for 50k. I'M RIIIICH.

Who the hell is buying that stuff for 50k? The most I've ever seen a BoE weapon/armor that sold go for is around 30k. Are you on a really old, rich server or something?

I suppose part of it is due to inflation as well.

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Who the hell is buying that stuff for 50k? The most I've ever seen a BoE weapon/armor that sold go for is around 30k. Are you on a really old, rich server or something?

I suppose part of it is due to inflation as well.

I'm on Shadowsong, so it is old. I read up on the interwebz that it was going for 50k+, then I posted it in trade for 40k and someone said that they had seen it for four times cheaper. Whatever, I put it in the AH at 42k bid, 50k buyout, went to sleep and bam. It was also the only one on the AH and I haven't seen any posted in trade for a few weeks, so I guess I might be lucky. All I know is I ain't buying anything for 50k lol.

devildog820 said:
Not at all. My damage output (DPS) was 4,000 two months ago when I was running heroics. Super low. A couple of Gaffers and later some of my guild-mates jumped that to 13,000 in less than a week. So we can help. :)

You also can pretty much go back and do anything that you missed along the way. I went and ran an old 40-man Raid all by myself, just to see it.

Heroics are also bad judges of your dps, especially depending on your class. I can probably put out 20k in heroics and 23-25k in raids.

Alucrid said:
Heroics are also bad judges of your dps, especially depending on your class. I can probably put out 20k in heroics and 23-25k in raids.

Well a lot of the times stuff dies so fast that if you play a class that benefits from any sort of ramp up time at all, your DPS is going to be lower than it could be. As a quick example, if you're a class that has dots, the dot won't be able to tick its full duration in a heroic dungeon as it might in a raid. That's lost DPS when the mob dies before the dot runs out - in some cases it's probably better not to apply dots/debuffs at all. Also of note is that raids will almost always have more buffs that benefit your spec that you would be missing in a heroic. 20% melee haste (or similar) is pretty significant if you have it in one and don't have it in the other.

And in regards to selling that weapons - just congrats. Older servers generally do better with players who have been around and stockpiled gold, combined with the fact that you had no competition. If you were the only person on the server to sell that specific weapon in a given week, then whoever bought it may have really wanted it and didn't want to wait possibly another week for a better price. I know I bought two Soul Blades before I stopped playing for 21-22k each and that was pretty reasonable considering I had 70-80k gold at the time. They were BiS besides one of the random drops off Heroic Al'Akir though, so it was worth it. Some stuff I definitely wouldn't pay for though.

Ugh, I'm kind of tempted to get back into the game just to play the economy part of it, and I may do so to scratch that itch before Diablo comes out. EVE definitely has a more complex economy than WoW, but I don't like it quite as much, especially when I already know the inner workings of WoW's economy.

strafer

Could this be the next expansion?

Boub adds:

For the record, the international codes 009 and 041 only seems to appear on Blizzard's online games trademarks. This isn't a book or anything like that. It appears incredibly likely based on previous trademarks obtained by Blizzard that this is the next expansion.

mistsfopandaria.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
OK, Pandaren and......who would be the other race....Naga finally?

Could they get away with two expansions in a row without a new class....

Hmmmm, Blizzcon this year might be wacky, lol.

Tamanon said:
OK, Pandaren and......who would be the other race....Naga finally?

Could they get away with two expansions in a row without a new class....

Hmmmm, Blizzcon this year might be wacky, lol.

Well I think we could have the Pandaren as a single "hero" race with their own starting zone, and then you go and choose to ally either with the Horde or Alliance similar to the DK questline. This may not work though due to the need to have distinct profiles for PvP unless you had some sort of body modification/tattoos or something to differentiate Alliance Pandas vs. Horde Pandas. I think there is equal clamor and justification on both sides for the Pandaren, so it's really hard to say.

Tamanon

Banned
Ya know, Blizz could just not give either side Pandaren and just let them train the other races to be Brewmasters. Healer/DPS.

Weenerz

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Saw that, usually I keep my discussion of WoW here barring a post or two in other topics that get made - too often those other threads slip into topics I'd rather not (and don't feel the need to) discuss and/or argue.

Maybe I'm crazy, but doesn't it just seem a little too fast for them to be preparing for an expansion? They've barely released any content for this expansion.

Top Bottom