• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

RPGCrazied

Ugh. Getting marks of the world tree is taking forever. Of course I just started 3 days ago, but I only have 49 of them. I need 150 for the next phase. I'm wondering doing this is worth it? I just want the mount.

Though I did upgrade one of my rings just recently, so that was pretty cool.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
RPGCrazied said:
Ugh. Getting marks of the world tree is taking forever. Of course I just started 3 days ago, but I only have 49 of them. I need 150 for the next phase. I'm wondering doing this is worth it? I just want the mount.

Though I did upgrade one of my rings just recently, so that was pretty cool.

Be ready to do them for a little more than a month if you do them everyday. For the mount that is.

You need to first get 150. Then another 150. Then 125, and another 125 and finally another 125 if i'm correct.

You get a little more marks everyday the more quests you complete though. I think im getting between 25 & 30 marks a day right now with only one 125 marks quest left.

RPGCrazied

Bisnic said:
Be ready to do them for a little more than a month if you do them everyday. For the mount that is.

You need to first get 150. Then another 150. Then 125, and another 125 and finally another 125 if i'm correct.

You get a little more marks everyday the more quests you complete though. I think im getting between 25 & 30 marks a day right now with only one 125 marks quest left.

Damn. Does the mount cost gold or just marks?

RPGCrazied said:
I'll do it. The only reason I resubbed, since I'm not much of a raider. Though I can't see myself doing this on all my 5 characters. lol
I just got done with my first 150. I think it will be more of a downhill grind once we get to 150 a second time. Still can't stand the fact that I'm on a pvp server. All I want to do is quest, run instances, and try to gain more mounts/companions, and achievements. My reward for grinding dailies is getting ganked at least once, if not many times, in the firelands daily zone. People are such tools. At least the mobs are neutral and the quests are quick, unlike TB where everything takes twice as long and people have the excuse that it's a pvp zone for ganking. I usually log over to the opposing faction to tell people they're tools. Always the same smiley face response or a laugh, like it's such an accomplishment killing people in the middle of doing dailies.

I can't stand resilience gear, nor the fact that certain melee classes have magic immunity cool downs (cough cough Dk's...). The day clothies get melee immunity cooldowns I'm gonna go back and repay the favor. But that won't ever happen :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Deputy Moonman said:
I just got done with my first 150. I think it will be more of a downhill grind once we get to 150 a second time. Still can't stand the fact that I'm on a pvp server. All I want to do is quest, run instances, and try to gain more mounts/companions, and achievements. My reward for grinding dailies is getting ganked at least once, if not many times, in the firelands daily zone. People are such tools. At least the mobs are neutral and the quests are quick, unlike TB where everything takes twice as long and people have the excuse that it's a pvp zone for ganking. I usually log over to the opposing faction to tell people they're tools. Always the same smiley face response or a laugh, like it's such an accomplishment killing people in the middle of doing dailies.

I can't stand resilience gear, nor the fact that certain melee classes have magic immunity cool downs (cough cough Dk's...). The day clothies get melee immunity cooldowns I'm gonna go back and repay the favor. But that won't ever happen :p

Why not transferring to a PVE server if you hate getting ganked so much?

Bisnic said:
Why not transferring to a PVE server if you hate getting ganked so much?
I guess there are a number of reasons. First, I wouldn't want to transfer just one toon, and I refuse to pay Blizzard for the transfer. And, basically, because I've been on Thunderlord since Vanilla. It's where the small number of my remaining friends still play. And, I don't want to leave a 25 level guild with all of its perks and definitely not before reaching exalted rep. I'm like 15k through revered. It's a trap for me that I can't escape, lol :) I just have to bend over for all the gankers on the realm.

LogicStep

Gonna use my free 7 days. I got Cata but never reached 85. Game was just boring the hell out of me. I don't even know why I'm going to try it again... =\ Just something makes me want to just try it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
zazrx said:
Gonna use my free 7 days. I got Cata but never reached 85. Game was just boring the hell out of me. I don't even know why I'm going to try it again... =\ Just something makes me want to just try it.
I got mine, used it, played for approximately 2 hours and then never touched it again. I think Cataclysm just killed the magic.

Fularu

Banned
Sax Russel said:
Fight looks great, but I'm kind of disappointed Malfurion, Cenarius, and Hamuul just show up and afk off to the side casting something occasionally. Could have had them at least running around and dropping/casting their buffs or beating on Rag, Maiev style!
Maiev was prety useless and would drop traps in the worst possible spots. We always ignored her.

ampere

Angry Grimace said:
I got mine, used it, played for approximately 2 hours and then never touched it again. I think Cataclysm just killed the magic.
I still have fun doing achievements with guildies, but I think the lack of a new continent and the lack of the thorough backstory for the main enemy make Cataclysm a lot less magical than WotLK.

I felt like I watched Arthas rise to his throne as I quested in WotLK and Northrend was so chilling. I loved it. The few quests with Deathwing still keep him feeling distant, and then he just flies around ganking people. Sure they redesigned Azeroth, and they did a great job with it, but there isn't much end game content there.

The Firelands dailies and progression are really neat though. I haven't raided Firelands yet since I took a few months off, now I'm trying to get a spot in my guild's runs again.

ciaossu said:
I still have fun doing achievements with guildies, but I think the lack of a new continent and the lack of the thorough backstory for the main enemy make Cataclysm a lot less magical than WotLK.

I felt like I watched Arthas rise to his throne as I quested in WotLK and Northrend was so chilling. I loved it. The few quests with Deathwing still keep him feeling distant, and then he just flies around ganking people. Sure they redesigned Azeroth, and they did a great job with it, but there isn't much end game content there.

The Firelands dailies and progression are really neat though. I haven't raided Firelands yet since I took a few months off, now I'm trying to get a spot in my guild's runs again.

Well there are more low-level quests with Deathwing than high-level ones and for the most part he just makes a cameo. Arthas was made an appearance in every, if not almost every zone.

Alex

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878698161?page=1

Situations like this are pretty embarrassing. Blizzard is so obsessed with their carrots above anything else and it constantly hammers their own content and creativity. Now they're even going as far as to stealth hotfix small weapon imbalances on naturally stunted gear? Goofy.

Also; dear god is this sword is ugly. A blue reskin of an already tacky Stonecore weapon?

J-Roderton

Not sure why, but I have just now started my profession. I'm level 49 and have just now started mining. I haven't been much on getting gold and all of that but just recently I started mining and got a lot of copper ore. I then put in in the auction house, along with a ton of mageweave cloth stacks and woke up to find everything sold and I got a ton of gold out of the deal. It was my first time really selling anything there too.

So basically if I keep leveling up my mining skill higher, I can start looting better materials from the nodes? I can get into this whole mining thing if I can start getting tons of gold from it.

Also, how does smelting work? Will I make more money if I smelt my ores? It just turns my ore into bars right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nothing new on the Patch 4.3 side yet, hopefully it will hit the test servers "soon" since Blizzard already mentioned in the past that they would release patches faster.

Boub must either not be paying attention or delusional

Alex said:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2878698161?page=1

Situations like this are pretty embarrassing. Blizzard is so obsessed with their carrots above anything else and it constantly hammers their own content and creativity. Now they're even going as far as to stealth hotfix small weapon imbalances on naturally stunted gear? Goofy.

Also; dear god is this sword is ugly. A blue reskin of an already tacky Stonecore weapon?
lmao@ the tool insinuating Blizzard could get sued for having a 3.5 weapon in the game with a false tooltip.

Alex

Sue happy people are the best, I've seen people threaten to sue Blizzard for everything. I saw someone threaten to sue them for doing a realm restart (not maintenance) before.

I know, with Cataclysm, Blizzard wanted people to come back and experience a revamped azeroth, but I also think that spreading out all the zones, and making the horde/alliance hubs older cities has really hurt the game. I loved being in the Outlands during the BC expansion, just like I loved being in Northrend during the Wrath expansion. Having no centralized new area for both horde and alliance, together, is kind of a turn-off. Shattrath and Dalaran were amazing. Now I spend my time in... Stormwind. Ewwww. There is no cross faction interaction except for when I go to random zones, and i'm usually too preoccupied with my normal routine to care what other people are doing during those times. In theory, Cataclysm was a good idea, but I think it's basically a flop in terms of keeping people hooked, happy, and content. And the spread out world and lack of a central hub is a big part of that.

Jroderton said:
Not sure why, but I have just now started my profession. I'm level 49 and have just now started mining. I haven't been much on getting gold and all of that but just recently I started mining and got a lot of copper ore. I then put in in the auction house, along with a ton of mageweave cloth stacks and woke up to find everything sold and I got a ton of gold out of the deal. It was my first time really selling anything there too.

So basically if I keep leveling up my mining skill higher, I can start looting better materials from the nodes? I can get into this whole mining thing if I can start getting tons of gold from it.

Also, how does smelting work? Will I make more money if I smelt my ores? It just turns my ore into bars right?
Selling stuff on the AH is the best way to make gold if you keep an eye what things are selling for on any given day. I just recently started playing again (about 3 weeks now) and I've already made close to 10k in gold just from selling enchanting and tailoring mats on the AH. And I'm not a hardcore AH workhorse, either. I do dailies, which helps, but most of the gold has come from the AH.

In regard to mining, yes, you'll be able to mine better nodes as you level up your mining. Smelting is just a way to turn raw ore into a crafting mat. You can skill up your mining by smelting ore that is still pretty high level for your skill. Check the AH to see what is selling better (ore or bars).
Alex said:
Sue happy people are the best, I've seen people threaten to sue Blizzard for everything. I saw someone threaten to sue them for doing a realm restart (not maintenance) before.
I'm going to sue Blizzard for this comment.

yacobod

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Ya same here. I got cata on launch but never hit 85 on any of my 80s, and leveled 3 new toons into the 40s before quitting. I didn't feel compelled to play anymore, but in general I've kind of lost interest in gaming all together, maybe I'm getting too old idk. Game was amazing fun for me thru launch and 2 expansions though. I already pretty much quit after a year of icc tho. Bring on diablo 3 or titan because I think wow is dead to me.

Dunlop

DeathNote said:
Woo, 4/7. Any tips in Baleroc?

I'm blocked by a firewall at work so can't link anything. But for your healers there are some awesome power auras.

There is one set all healers need, when they are healing DPS and getting the vital spark the aura will be blue and will have a total of the sparks on them. When they switch to tank heal it will turn orange with a 15 sec counter so there is not way they can not know when to switch out.

Another which I would recommend for a single "lead healer" will show the state each healer is in with the stacks/counter so they can quarterback the rotation. This made it easy for us to see if a healer fucked up his rotation on the DPS and if so we could just call the name of the healer with the most stacks to switch over to the tank heals.

This was all for normal though, we dropped Baleroc pretty much on our first night with him.

If you need I can PM you the power aura sets when I am back at home tonight

Swag

Dunlop said:
If you need I can PM you the power aura sets when I am back at home tonight

I'd like these if you could send to me as well, thanks. Just the healer one though, don't need the leader set.

So I'm reading about the WoL parses and SimCraft stuff for Warlocks and am a bit confused by what I've seen as of late.

Right now, Affliction and Demo locks are at the top, with Destro locks way behind.

But in 4.1, Affliction was only a little bit ahead of Destro, with Demo way behind. But as far as I know, nothing really changed for Warlocks between 4.1 and 4.2.

What's even odder is that, for me I pull my highest DPS (about 18-21k) as Destro, with both Demo and Affliction about 3-4k behind. This is really weird for me because Destro is a far more difficult spec to play than either of the other two. As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right in the other two specs. DoTs stay up, spell priority is mostly followed, use cooldowns when needed, so I'm not exactly sure where things are going wrong.

Mister Zimbu said:
So I'm reading about the WoL parses and SimCraft stuff for Warlocks and am a bit confused by what I've seen as of late.

Right now, Affliction and Demo locks are at the top, with Destro locks way behind.

But in 4.1, Affliction was only a little bit ahead of Destro, with Demo way behind. But as far as I know, nothing really changed for Warlocks between 4.1 and 4.2.

What's even odder is that, for me I pull my highest DPS (about 18-21k) as Destro, with both Demo and Affliction about 3-4k behind. This is really weird for me because Destro is a far more difficult spec to play than either of the other two. As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right in the other two specs. DoTs stay up, spell priority is mostly followed, use cooldowns when needed, so I'm not exactly sure where things are going wrong.

Do the other specs have different stat priorities? You may need to reforge to get the higher DPS.

TheYanger

Keep in mind demo with proper cd stacking and the daily quest trinket can do like 1.5m damage in one gcd with a doomguard. On short fights or burn phase fights (every fight this tier) that can be pretty god tier. And then of course its ae has always been nuts in situations where that matters.

Mister Zimbu said:

Oh no you didn't!

Thoraxes

Jrmint said:
Just cleared BWD for the first time since the nerfs, that is crazy how much easier that is.

Espec Nefarian, just wow.
Yeah we did an alt run of him last week and it was beyond easy. The whole place is a joke now.

moojito

Any other members of the Alysrazor flying squad in the house? That is the most stressful thing I've had to do in the game, and of course because I've done it once I have to do it every damn time now. Maybe it's not so hard for a mage where you can just bind everything to pyro, but I'm a boomkin, dagnammit.

Alucrid

Banned
moojito said:
Any other members of the Alysrazor flying squad in the house? That is the most stressful thing I've had to do in the game, and of course because I've done it once I have to do it every damn time now. Maybe it's not so hard for a mage where you can just bind everything to pyro, but I'm a boomkin, dagnammit.

At least you're doing Alyzrazor :p

moojito said:

Situations like this can be a blessing or a curse depending on the role. Putricide Abom? So good and way more fun/less stressful than dancing between each side of the room. Some other specialized roles (can't think of any I would name as more annoying/difficult at the moment...), not so much.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
TheYanger said:
Keep in mind demo with proper cd stacking and the daily quest trinket can do like 1.5m damage in one gcd with a doomguard. On short fights or burn phase fights (every fight this tier) that can be pretty god tier. And then of course its ae has always been nuts in situations where that matters.
Yeah, the high demo parses are from mastery stacking and popping meta and doomguard

Aesthet1c

While we are on the Baleroc topic..

My guild will probably be downing Rhyolith tomorrow. Should we be moving to Baleroc next? Or stick with the order and go to Alysrazor? I only ask because I hear Baleroc is a much easier fight.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Aesthet1c said:

My guild will probably be downing Rhyolith tomorrow. Should we be moving to Baleroc next? Or stick with the order and go to Alysrazor? I only ask because I hear Baleroc is a much easier fight.
I'd say Aly, but I might change my mind tomorrow.

yanhero

Aesthet1c said:

On normal, Baleroc is definitely much easier, hes probably even easier than Rhyolith if you ask me.

Alucrid

Banned
I have some alch questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Should I go mastery of potions, elixirs or transmutes?
2. Do I get that from a quest from a trainer?
3. Are there any alch recipes I should get that aren't from the trainer?

Alucrid said:
I have some alch questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Should I go mastery of potions, elixirs or transmutes?
2. Do I get that from a quest from a trainer?
3. Are there any alch recipes I should get that aren't from the trainer?

1. Potion or Transmutation Master. Elixir Master is kind of lame at the moment with guild cauldrons (and the achievements needed to acquire those) so not many people buy flasks off the AH anymore. Potions are useful since level 85 mana and health pots don't drop off mobs, and the treasure-finding pot is pretty useful for farming cloth and getting extra gold if you're going to be out killing a bunch of stuff anyway. Other potions are useful, but in my experience only the more hardcore bring other buff potions to raid encounters unless it's forced upon them (missing a kill by a few percent over and over again). Transmutation Master has the ever useful Truegold CD and makes having a JC much more profitable. Will become even better when epic gems are released.

2. You used to grab the quest from a trainer in Shattrath and it didn't matter which one you did as you can unlearn the mastery and relearn a different one for a marginal gold fee. Transmutation Mastery was generally considered the easiest to do, even if you wanted to switch to another mastery (I think you had to go to specific trainers elsewhere to pickup the other masteries/quests - I know one was in Netherstorm in a bio-dome and I think the other was in Zangarmarsh somewhere.)

3. I fancy myself a collector of alchemy recipes and the trainers would have most everything practical now. The one thing that comes to mind is transmuting the epic Wrath-era red gem requires that you transmute other colors for 5 days or so - quest in Dalaran. Otherwise , of course, the Vial of the Sands comes from Archeology. Some recipes come from discovery or Northrend Research, but nothing that is relevant at 85. There are some potions with interesting effects that are rare drops like the Elixir of Dream Vision, but they are hardly necessary unless you are a collector. There were recipes for specific school of magic protection potions that you needed to kill mobs for in Northrend (and maybe Outland?) that had marginal usefulness (one was used for Heroic Anub'Arak and another for General Vezax), but again, nothing of the sort exists in Cataclysm (unfortunately.)

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
1. Potion or Transmutation Master. Elixir Master is kind of lame at the moment with guild cauldrons (and the achievements needed to acquire those) so not many people buy flasks off the AH anymore. Potions are useful since level 85 mana and health pots don't drop off mobs, and the treasure-finding pot is pretty useful for farming cloth and getting extra gold if you're going to be out killing a bunch of stuff anyway. Other potions are useful, but in my experience only the more hardcore bring other buff potions to raid encounters unless it's forced upon them (missing a kill by a few percent over and over again). Transmutation Master has the ever useful Truegold CD and makes having a JC much more profitable. Will become even better when epic gems are released.

2. You used to grab the quest from a trainer in Shattrath and it didn't matter which one you did as you can unlearn the mastery and relearn a different one for a marginal gold fee. Transmutation Mastery was generally considered the easiest to do, even if you wanted to switch to another mastery (I think you had to go to specific trainers elsewhere to pickup the other masteries/quests - I know one was in Netherstorm in a bio-dome and I think the other was in Zangarmarsh somewhere.)

3. I fancy myself a collector of alchemy recipes and the trainers would have most everything practical now. The one thing that comes to mind is transmuting the epic Wrath-era red gem requires that you transmute other colors for 5 days or so - quest in Dalaran. Otherwise , of course, the Vial of the Sands comes from Archeology. Some recipes come from discovery or Northrend Research, but nothing that is relevant at 85. There are some potions with interesting effects that are rare drops like the Elixir of Dream Vision, but they are hardly necessary unless you are a collector. There were recipes for specific school of magic protection potions that you needed to kill mobs for in Northrend (and maybe Outland?) that had marginal usefulness (one was used for Heroic Anub'Arak and another for General Vezax), but again, nothing of the sort exists in Cataclysm (unfortunately.)

Ok, thanks for the comprehensive write up. Really appreciate it. I think transmutation would be good though since I have a priest that I'm leveling with JC. Should be good money with these two alts in tandem.

DeathNote said:

Thanks for the link, should help with the last 20 points I have left.

Also, just got the Lava Bolt Crossbow. WHOOOOOOOOO.

Here's another question. Now that I've got the LBC, it wouldn't make sense to save for the PVP bow right? Same stats except the PVP one has ~70 resilience. Would probably be better to just upgrade my armor from the honor stuff right?

Fularu said:
Maiev was prety useless and would drop traps in the worst possible spots. We always ignored her.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about how useful the NPCs are, rather how involved they appear to be in the fight. I'd rather Maiev do what she did than stand still in a corner and fire off traps randomly instead. Makes for a cooler story in the end, in the RP sense of it.

markot said:
A: Racist
B: Some people sell things for what they think they are worth and try to be nice.
I'm racist because...I think Jewish people have amazing business savvy? Please. There's a reason Drew Rosenhaus and Ari Greenberg are the highest paid agents in Hollywood/Sports -- their business sense. Also, there's a recent episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm dedicated to this very subject, which likely shouldn't be discussed in the WoW topic lol.

And also, should I feel bad if someone listed their house for 300k and my realtor was able to negotiate the price down to 240k? No. I'm not a dick or anything, but I know a good deal when I see it.

Top Bottom