• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

RPGCrazied

I just resubbed for firelands. It kinda sucks you have to like attune for this place, well you have to do some of the hyjal quests which I guess I didn't on the toon I want to do it with.

Swag

RPGCrazied said:
I just resubbed for firelands. It kinda sucks you have to like attune for this place, well you have to do some of the hyjal quests which I guess I didn't on the toon I want to do it with.
You can enter the raid instance right away, have to do quests for the daily zone however.

The Hyjal quests weren't that bad though. Or at least it doesn't take that long to get through them. I was gone long enough that I missed out on all the new Stranglethorn Vale quests in addition to the new Fireland stuff. But I enjoyed the quick money and the black panther cub companion reward for doing them. Good stuff.

In other news, I started a goblin rogue just to try out the goblin starting area. I'm at level 8 and thinking about deleting the toon and just starting over again as Alliance for the benefit of being in my regular guild and all the leveling perks.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
RPGCrazied said:

there's no attunement for the raid. only for the daily zone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm almost done with the firelands dailies, only 4 or 5 more days and i will finally have my fire hippogryph and all the rewards that might come with them.

I like Mylune's Call. Summoning grass, plants, animals all over the place! Also the item that transforms you into a druid of the flame is nice.

Bisnic said:
I'm almost done with the firelands dailies, only 4 or 5 more days and i will finally have my fire hippogryph and all the rewards that might come with them.

I like Mylune's Call. Summoning grass, plants, animals all over the place! Also the item that transforms you into a druid of the flame is nice.
Dailies get old so fast. I'm still doing Tol Barad dailies for the 200 commendation mount... I hate TB now, lol.

Garryk

I'm getting a new phone today and my old phone has my authenticator on it. I have the restore/serial codes written down, but I don't know how the phone switch works. Do I need to remove the authenticator from my account first or when I download the new app will I be able to enter my restore code?

Garryk said:
I'm getting a new phone today and my old phone has my authenticator on it. I have the restore/serial codes written down, but I don't know how the phone switch works. Do I need to remove the authenticator from my account first or when I download the new app will I be able to enter my restore code?

You used to have to remove your old code from b.net and then apply your new authenticator, but I think the new iOS version lets you restore your old code to your new mobile installation. I'm not sure if it's different on other platforms.

Dunlop

24FrameDaVinci said:
Holy fuuuuuuck 28 attempts on Lord Rhyolith tonight and we got him to 18% D= Our best attempt ever but I hate him so, so very much.

We got him down to 68k (0.6%) on our second attempt (of the night..not overall). Then spent the rest of the night not even getting back to phase 2.

Thoraxes

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. About to do some Heroic 10m Firelands. Shannox and Beth look to be the easiest so far, so I think we'll get those two down this week.

Dunlop said:
We got him down to 68k (0.6%) on our second attempt (of the night..not overall). Then spent the rest of the night not even getting back to phase 2.
That sucks, geez. I'm responsible for "driving" him, it's actually alot of fun.

RPGCrazied

Finally got to firelands. Man this place is fucking camped. Trying to find those ancient corehounds are annoying.

What's the easiest way to get the flying mount?

J-Roderton

So I just started a blood elf rogue. This is only my second character I've played. I started it because I was getting a little burned out on leveling my dwarf hunter all the time. I'm a little confused as to what I should focus on as far as my stats go. With my hunter I would go for agility and stamina, so if my rogue is basically a melee damage dealer should I spec in strength or what?

Alucrid

Banned
Jroderton said:
So I just started a blood elf rogue. This is only my second character I've played. I started it because I was getting a little burned out on leveling my dwarf hunter all the time. I'm a little confused as to what I should focus on as far as my stats go. With my hunter I would go for agility and stamina, so if my rogue is basically a melee damage dealer should I spec in strength or what?

Nope agility. Agility and haste then crit, i think. I could be wrong.

Miletius

I know I shouldn't have but I gave up on the daily quests a while ago. They started to remind me of what I hate about WoW. I know other people love them and that's ok but I really hate daily quests. It's an (in my mind) unreasonable carrot dangling over my head and I resent it for being there in the first place.

J-Roderton

Miletius said:
I know I shouldn't have but I gave up on the daily quests a while ago. They started to remind me of what I hate about WoW. I know other people love them and that's ok but I really hate daily quests. It's an (in my mind) unreasonable carrot dangling over my head and I resent it for being there in the first place.

I don't even know where to get daily quests. What is the point of them? I guess they give out a lot of XP or something?

Alex

Daily quests are for end game (though you can go back and do the older sets from older expansions like Sunwell and Argent Tournament), they typically work you towards a greater goal and set of rewards. Gear, pets, mounts, story etc.

Miletius

Jroderton said:
I don't even know where to get daily quests. What is the point of them? I guess they give out a lot of XP or something?

They give out a regular amount of XP and/or gold. Mostly the point of them is to keep you doing something after you've reached level cap and need something to do in your spare time. A lot of the time they unlock special rewards (gear, cosmetic items like pets, or more daily quests) after you've done so many of them.

I think it's a good idea in concept but it's one of those things for me -- I don't want to be forced to log in every day in order to maximize my rewards. So, the min/maxer in me wants to login every day, but the realist in me says: we don't have time/ or we shouldn't log in just to jump through that hoop. It's an irrational cognizance in me, I know, but it's still there.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

J-Roderton

I'm sure I'll find out all about them when I one day hit the level cap. I'm at a crawling pace toward 50 right now. I don't see how everyone levels so fast.

Miletius said:

I never really needed them as a source of money (sure the extra gold is fine though), but only used them for the rep or other rewards. I grind that crap out as quickly as possible and I never have to deal with the quests again unless I'm short on cash or a quest is generally just fun/no-brainer to do whilst doing other things. Once you have a large enough pool of gold paired with the proper professions, you can just sort of work the auction house off of that.

The only time you would be strapped for cash is if you bought a BoE epic or BoE epic crafting materials, for example. For general usage, you could live off 10-20k for months without having to replenish gold.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Firelands daily quests only takes 15 mins to do. It's no big deal doing them really. And there is some epics, companions, special items and a mount in the end, so why not? The gold is just a bonus.

suzu said:
The only dailies I despise doing are the Tol Barad ones. Blehhhhhhhh.
This is so true. They take a while to get done. If no one is around to thin out mobs, it's easy to get overwhelmed, and the they respawn lightning quick. It's annoying when you can't even finish looting because things keep repopping on you. And as an added bonus, sometimes you even get ganked! Awesome.

Jrmint

suzu said:
Just do the ones in the Tol Barad proper area, not the peninsula. They are 100 times faster, give more gold, more rep and more commendations. Problim is easily soloable by most classes.

You just have to control TB to be able to do them.

idlewild_

Ugh, for some reason I can never get into the rhythm of doing dailies. do them a most days for the first couple weeks and then neglect to do them for a month D:.

zugzug

When you lose a roll like that. That is a screenshot moment.

Like how I lost the Utgarde pinnacle Heroic mount to a guy on his very first time thru Heroic Utgarde pinnacle, and I was on like my 94th trip.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
suzu said:
That's funny, after I got my character exalted with all the Daily Quest grinds, the only ones I still bothered to do was Tol Barad. I like how they're all confined to that island so it's a quick circuit, I like how the humanoids give a ton of clothe, it's cool actually getting to see other players outside of raids or SW/Org (sometimes even grouping up with them to do quests faster), and it's refreshing to actually have a place in the game to show off your favorite ground mount.

Alucrid

Banned
zugzug said:
When you lose a roll like that. That is a screenshot moment.

Like how I lost the Utgarde pinnacle Heroic mount to a guy on his very first time thru Heroic Utgarde pinnacle, and I was on like my 94th trip.

FUUUU I hate that. Firelands trash last night the polearm dropped again and I lost. Straight heroic, 6k dps, bm hunter in his first time in fl.

J-Roderton

So, I'm a hunter 48 and I'm Searing Gorge. Every quest that has given me rewards for the past few days, the gear is pretty much worthless to me. I'm supposed to spec in agility and stamina and every item I can choose from takes points away from those things. WTF? Is this normal or what. I need better gear.

suzu

Jroderton said:
So, I'm a hunter 48 and I'm Searing Gorge. Every quest that has given me rewards for the past few days, the gear is pretty much worthless to me. I'm supposed to spec in agility and stamina and every item I can choose from takes points away from those things. WTF? Is this normal or what. I need better gear.

You should queue for random dungeons in between questing. Maybe try moving to a new zone? I think Tanaris and Ungoro Crater are good for your level.

---

Jrmint said:
Just do the ones in the Tol Barad proper area, not the peninsula. They are 100 times faster, give more gold, more rep and more commendations. Problim is easily soloable by most classes.

Oh I do both. It's still annoying.

sykoex said:
That's funny, after I got my character exalted with all the Daily Quest grinds, the only ones I still bothered to do was Tol Barad. I like how they're all confined to that island so it's a quick circuit, I like how the humanoids give a ton of clothe, it's cool actually getting to see other players outside of raids or SW/Org (sometimes even grouping up with them to do quests faster), and it's refreshing to actually have a place in the game to show off your favorite ground mount.

I don't mind doing dailies in a pvp zone. I just hate how everything takes forever to die.

J-Roderton

suzu said:
You should queue for random dungeons in between questing. Maybe try moving to a new zone? I think Tanaris and Ungoro Crater are good for your level.

Are dungeons the best place for me to find gear? Sorry for the dumb questions but, again, I'm still fairly new to all of this.

suzu

Jroderton said:
Are dungeons the best place for me to find gear? Sorry for the dumb questions but, again, I'm still fairly new to all of this.

Yeah, just queue for a random dungeon while you're running around doing stuff. A little window will pop up when you find a group and ask you to join. It will automatically teleport you there when everybody accepts.

It's good for finding "blue/rare" gear and gaining exp. Make sure you pick up any dungeon quests you see. When your group kills a boss it drops some random equipment. Click the "Need" button that will pop up if you actually need the gear. Otherwise just hit "Greed" on everything. At the end of the random dungeon (after you kill the final boss) you get a goodie bag in your inventory. Afterwards you can just leave the party (right click on your portrait) or go back and hand in the dungeon quests. When you leave, the game will drop you off wherever you were last time when you were questing.

If anybody gives you crap about how you are playing just tell them you're new to the game. Most people will try to explain or help you out. Since you're a hunter make sure you turn off "Growl" on your pet bar (so it won't take aggro from the tank).

Einchy said:
Paragon VS Ragnaros 25man Heroic
http://youtu.be/owI0MSopcs0

Beat MMO-Champ to the punch! :D

Watching it now - excited to see how this encounter plays out in the latter stages with all the NPCs and Ragnaros strolling about.

Mid-View Edit: Really digging that proximity display UI element. Anyone know if that's standalone or is bundled with some other mod? Seems like it would be really useful for the people who just don't get how to spread out - over and over again. More visual than the DBM range text.

suzu said:
The newest DBM should have the proximity range display.

I guess that's just a case of me not having played in awhile then. I'm thinking about hopping back into the game for a bit to check out the Molten Front and maybe hop into Firelands after I finish my current EVE kick (interesting game with some unique systems designs for an MMO, but flawed) and/or return to school.

At the least I'd probably wrap up enough quests on my main for The Seeker title (one of the better titles IMO) if not finish Loremaster. I already have Cataclysm and Northrend down. What I have left in Outland wouldn't be too bad, and all the lowbie zones is just a matter of powering through. Could finish up a few of the easier reps I have left while I'm at it (e.g. Skyguard, Ogri'La) - I already have The Exalted.

If not that, I can finish leveling my Mage and Paladin both of which are 69/70. Leveled those quite evenly and it was kind of fun doing different zones with them. I think they were both in Howling Fjord when I last left off since I can't stand most of Borean Tundra for various reasons. Level those and abuse the AH even more with the 2 new professions I hadn't had before on them (with the mage as a second/backup Alchemist as well.)

This is all speculative of course, assuming the Diablo 3 beta doesn't consume me instead. :p

Thoraxes

So Shannox H10 is a loot pinata. It's super easy. We're gonna actually do H Baleroc next, because everyone can pull at least 25k right now and we figure it's worth a try, considering how OP of a tank I am. I took less damage as the MT than the decimation blade tank did.

Since I've been away from the game for a while, I decided to go check on Jadefang for the chance at getting another companion. My npc_scan went off and I was all excited till I remembered that there is no way to get to him without the specific daily quest, which wasn't being offered today. Doh.
Jrmint said:

The problem is that the whole reason most people are doing dailies is to make gold, and or to earn a certain amount of badges/commendations for gear, pets, and mounts. And most people would like to get their items sooner than later. So by cutting out half of the dailies, you are doubling the time it will take to get the items you want, which means more days of grinding. Doing fewer dailies isn't really a solution. Better to do a slightly longer grind each day than to double the days of doing them.
wonderdung said:
Ugh. Great vid, but 15-20 minute fights are soul-crushing. For the eventual nerf Blizzard should just make phase 4 a separate fight.
Yep. Knowing a fight takes that long to finish completely removes any desire to even try it. Length of an encounter does not really add to the fun factor for me or add to the epicness of an encounter. Yuck.

Alucrid

Banned
So I tried doing Shannox in a 10 man pug yesterday. Did pretty good, got to 6%, then it kinda fell apart as people needed to leave for other raids. The fight isn't that bad actually as long as everyone avoids traps and no one gets ice tombed. Luckily I'm not a tank so I don't have to worry about much. Question though, what's the stacking debuff that the tank has to get off? Also, we just burned rage face down, boss to 35, then killed the last dog. Is that how everyone does it?

Aeris130

The stacking debuff only increases damage taken, and has to run out by keeping riplimb and shannox separated as long as possible after the spear has been thrown (since neither the dog or shannox can renew the stack then).

But yeah, burn facerage down, and kill riplimb when shannox is at 35%.

Alex

I've never been terribly huge on Blizzard's narrative work, but everything post-launch Northrend/Archerus has completely lost me. To me it all just sounds like it was penned by marketers rather than writers. It's good when it's focusing on humor but when they're trying to be serious, I cringe. They're trying too hard to be cinematic and "cool" and the rest comes off as uninspired filler. Also, really, at this point fuck dragons god I am so sick of different colors of dragons.

I have the same issues with StarCraft II leading me to believe it's probably just Metzen, but at least it there we had pretty good acting and some interesting world building (and no dragons). Cataclysm sure did faceplant on the world building, though, hard.

It's a treat to go back to Northrend and see how hard the environment artists slaved on that continent and how it all gorgeously melds together... then you go back to nu-Azeroth and it's like...BLARGH.

Top Bottom