• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite sets:

DK - T8
Warlock - T5
Rogue - Probably T5, but I hate big shoulders on rogues or clothies.
Mage - Tier 1
Paladin - I like T6, but I prefer the final PvP set in Wrath
Priest - Tier 1
Druid - I never liked any of them because I never saw them. But Stormrage antlers.
Warrior - T6
Shaman - T3/7 or T8
Hunter - ?

Miletius

New Warlock set is hideous. What is up with that color scheme. Pale blue and pink....

I am farming up Gladiator (T4) Warlock, since I think the Olive looks pretty nice on a goblin. Plus, you can solo all of T4 easy, gets a little tricky when you get higher.

Alucrid

Banned
This hunter in my ex-guild (where my alts still are since I like the people) is saying that hunters are best in pvp. lol wut

Alex

My picks:

DK - T8

Warlock - T5

Rogue - T5

Mage - T5 (would have been T8 if it had a robe)

Paladin - T2 (I actually like T4 better but the helm is so bad, I never wear helms though usually)

Priest - T5 or T6

Druid - T5

Warrior - T4 or T5

Shaman - T2 or T5

Hunter - T4 or T8 (I actually don't really like any of it, haha)

Rokal

I actually like both of the new T13 sets they've shown. Warrior set is pretty standard for WoW, but it still looks great. The warlock set is obviously much more bizarre with the tentacle mouth, but thats not unusual for warlocks. Look at their original T3 colors/mask. It seems in-character for the class, and presumably the Deathwing raid will have some sort of old-god stuff going on to justify the tentacle-face loot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rokal said:
I actually like both of the new T13 sets they've shown. Warrior set is pretty standard for WoW, but it still looks great. The warlock set is obviously much more bizarre with the tentacle mouth, but thats not unusual for warlocks. Look at their original T3 colors/mask. It seems in-character for the class, and presumably the Deathwing raid will have some sort of old-god stuff going on to justify the tentacle-face loot.
WoWGAF seems to be an outlier in hating T13 Warlock. Most other sites seem to like it. I'm a little meh on it myself.

ElRenoRaven

Sigh another shitty Warlock set. Last great looking Warlock set was the Corruptor set. Since then it's been all downhill with it getting worse with each set.

DK wise I liked Tier 8 the best followed by Tier 10. The rest have been pretty awful.

PsychoRaven said:
Sigh another shitty Warlock set. Last great looking Warlock set was the Corruptor set. Since then it's been all downhill with it getting worse with each set.

DK wise I liked Tier 8 the best followed by Tier 10. The rest have been pretty awful.

DK T7 had some good shoulders! I really liked those, although they seemed to be a bit more low-poly than later tiers. T8 and T10 were definitely superior overall though. T9 was an abomination, for pretty much everyone.

And we're an outlier on T13 Warlock? It's sorta meh at best. Looking at all their sets, 4,5, and 8/8.5 are probably the best. None of them stand out as being particularly bad though. Maybe 2, 2.5, and 9 (Alliance Version). 11 has to go in the meh list, along with the T7. T6 doesn't do anything for me particularly, but it's not bad. 7.5, T10, and T12 are all good or competent. The couple I didn't mention are competent and/or not awful, but not standouts.

DeathNote said:

We'll definitely have to see what the worst/best set ends up being this tier. Right now, Warlocks are losing.

I'd like to see something really good cooked up for shaman, with Thrall being a big character this expansion (playing a role at the end?), and Deathwing being "elemental".

Mairu

I don't think T13 warlock looks that terrible outside of the color choices but them attaching these T13 sets to the set retrospective just reminds me how terrible the sets have looked since TBC

Rokal

DeathNote said:
I see a lot of hate..

Welcome to the WoW community :p It's large, varied, and full of enough jaded gamers that inevitably a large amount of people will hate any new addition or change to the game. They could have made your fantasy Warlock set and we'd see tons of people bitching about how ugly it looks compared to old sets and how Blizzard is out of new ideas.

If you don't like Warlock T13, you'll at least have the option of using Transmogrify *shrug*

Mairu

Rokal said:
Welcome to the WoW community :p It's large, varied, and full of enough jaded gamers that inevitably a large amount of people will hate any new addition or change to the game. They could have made your fantasy Warlock set and we'd see tons of people bitching about how ugly it looks compared to old sets and how Blizzard is out of new ideas.

If you don't like Warlock T13, you'll at least have the option of using Transmogrify *shrug*
It's disappointing that this is going to be the excuse for bad set design from here on out

Mairu said:
I don't think T13 warlock looks that terrible outside of the color choices but them attaching these T13 sets to the set retrospective just reminds me how terrible the sets have looked since TBC

Maybe the heroic colors will be better? Not a huge fan of the look, but I'm also not particularly attached to warlocks - highest one I ever had is at most level 30.

I think with BC you see a general peak in armor set design, though there's always maybe one set from BC for each class that I don't like. I'd have to get back to you on specifics though after they show all the new tiers and retrospectives - it's too hard to look up all the sets and compare them side to side otherwise.

Mairu

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Maybe the heroic colors will be better? Not a huge fan of the look, but I'm also not particularly attached to warlocks - highest one I ever had is at most level 30.

I think with BC you see a general peak in armor set design, though there's always maybe one set from BC for each class that I don't like. I'd have to get back to you on specifics though after they show all the new tiers and retrospectives - it's too hard to look up all the sets and compare them side to side otherwise.
I personally didn't like Warlock T6, but every other warlock set up to that point looks pretty great (other than the AQ set, but I don't think I like any of the AQ sets)

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
The internet has a lot of sites, and I don't think you should assume I meant all of them beyond whatever ones I actually went to :p

Mairu said:
I personally didn't like Warlock T6, but every other warlock set up to that point looks pretty great (other than the AQ set, but I don't think I like any of the AQ sets)
T6 is a bit busy in my opinion.

Miletius

T6 lock is my favorite, but picking the best out of the BC sets is difficult because all of them look great.

After that, it's T3, T2, and then all the stuff afterwards. I think I said Balespider was ok before it came out but now that I'm wearing it -- pretty bad.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Strafer said:
Yeah, it's nice looking. Gotta check if I have done it.

51087.jpg

Weird, it looks much more "glowy" on my character, wonder if they changed it or maybe it depends on where im standing.

Qio8E.jpg

TheYanger

Different strokes for different folks, I think that lock set looks awesome. Colorful sets have always been good, stale ass black and red and fire bullshit is tired and played out. Lock T1, 2, 3, the new set, those are great.

Alex

I would agree with colorful and twisted and organic if they had the full set of armor to work with instead of just two pieces. It's really time to start modeling sets of armor entirely with unique meshes and ideas for each piece and how they play out in total.

WoW-type armor was a lot easier to swallow back when it was more rigid and non-organic looking but with the complicated designs and ambitions of their concept work today it just looks tacky when translated into in-game newspaper suits.

If you want that type of Monster Hunter look where it's cobbled together from the environment and creatures you slay, then you really gotta do the full mesh work. Clustering in all of those flashy details, little glowing baubles and organic looking patterns onto a flat texture looks more ridiculous each tier.

Angry Grimace

From the sounds of it, the face-tentacles move around and writhe, which might be kind of interesting, if a bit gross.

Alex

Angry Grimace said:
From the sounds of it, the face-tentacles move around and writhe, which might be kind of interesting, if a bit gross.

I think it would be cool if it was a total outfit scheme along with a robe and gloves that had unique modeling and details with animation like that to match it. That would be fucking awesome. Maybe a little less detail on the helm and pads so they don't have to overcompensate and there you go.

The more I think about it, the less I actually think art is the issue so much as you can't really meet ambitions like that by stapling progressively more detailed textures to generic models from 2004.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm kind of disgusted by that honestly. Looks like something that would have come out of an aquatic raid (you know, the one we aren't getting anymore...) Unless there is a squid boss or something, somehow. We still have no idea how this raid is going to work exactly, with no known entrance.

It's like the mage T11, looks like Rag and was designed when Firelands was still supposed to be a launch raid. Lock T13 is probably some art they designed when they still were thinking of a Vashj'ir N'Zoth raid just like you said. I guess they could always shoehorn in an old god for the Deathwing raid though.

Rokal

Alex said:
I would agree with colorful and twisted and organic if they had the full set of armor to work with instead of just two pieces. It's really time to start modeling sets of armor entirely with unique meshes and ideas for each piece and how they play out in total.

I would agree with this. The worst part of Warlock T13 is definitely the robe. The tentacles on the helm/shoulders look sinister and gross. The tentacles on the robe look something out of low-budget cosplay. They shouldn't have stuck with the tentacle motif for the robe if they needed to use the same flat armor model.

snoopen

Strafer said:
Best set ever.
but nobody ever wore the full set.. it's sad that i remember (ex addict, been clean for a few years) but having the full set early on, the vestments of the sea-witch were much, much better..shame i can't find any screenshots or anything of my WoW days.. server firsts for all of vanilla and BC and gladiator pvp titles are nothing but memories :/

edit: wooo found some stuff on the wow forums

hexemuioo3.jpg

will look for some elitist jerk stuff to save to my memory bank

Alucrid

Banned
Finally got to kill Nef tonight with my guilds alt run. Guild got 7/7 which is good, I'll be killing Rags soon then I'm guessing we're moving onto heroics.

SteveWD40

So transmogrify works with almost any armour? as long as you have it, so you could deck yourself out in scrappy lvl 21 looking gear if you liked? (thats when my Rogue looked like a Rogue...)

It works on weapons too?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
The internet has a lot of sites, and I don't think you should assume I meant all of them beyond whatever ones I actually went to :p

T6 is a bit busy in my opinion.
The European and American blog posts and mmo-champion article are the top things to look at, since they are the source and #1 summary source.

Saying GAF is the outlier when there is under 10, maybe 5, unique people in this thread saying they dislike it compared to those two sites that have a lot is just a snarky reply to your immediate peers.

Lots of stuff getting added, kinda makes me want to play again, but still too early, still too burned out.

Think I'll come back a month before expansion, do everything that was added, play month of expansion or two and quit, best way to play imo

Oh yes, Judgement gloves this time. Now I mostly need the pants and I guess the helmet, but I play with helmets not showing most of the time.

I'll be a bit annoyed if it turns out that all these sets will be buyable from Darkmoon Faire. I've put quite some effort into this already - although obviously not as much as those who got it in vanilla. But "replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs" sounds more like offering the T3 sets or dungeon sets, at least.

Bisnic

Is it just me, or does Leyara's Locket, the item that transform you into a fire druid, can also affect the music? Because i was running around Sethekk Halls for the Anzu mount with this form, and i started hearing music i usually only hear in Hyjal or Molten Front.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
The European and American blog posts and mmo-champion article are the top things to look at, since they are the source and #1 summary source.

Saying GAF is the outlier when there is under 10, maybe 5, unique people in this thread saying they dislike it compared to those two sites that have a lot is just a snarky reply to your immediate peers.
It wasn't a values judgement, dude; its an observation.

I was just saying GAF seemed relatively united in not liking it where it seemed like other forums seemed pretty happy with it. You're perfectly free to not like it; its only confrontational if you're looking for it to be.

I'm not even defending the set design, I don't like it very much either.

th3dude

At what point should I stop vendoring unneeded gear (ie for transmorg)? How do I know I have something that can be used later?

If you like the look of it, keep it. That's all there is to it. Or look up sets that you like and hunt specifically for them.

Me, I'm going to build two transmog sets for each of my characters. I just wish you could use other armor classes, my paladin could use a better selection of skirts.

th3dude

SiegfriedFM said:
If you like the look of it, keep it. That's all there is to it. Or look up sets that you like and hunt specifically for them.

Me, I'm going to build two transmog sets for each of my characters. I just wish you could use other armor classes, my paladin could use a better selection of skirts.

So any and every item can be used?

sn1pes said:

Probably. They haven't said that only set items can be used, everything except "silly" stuff like dresses and fish is supposedly fair game. In fact, they specifically mentioned the Black Mageweave crafted gear.

th3dude

SiegfriedFM said:
Probably. They haven't said that only set items can be used, everything except "silly" stuff like dresses and fish is supposedly fair game. In fact, they specifically mentioned the Black Mageweave crafted gear.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to that.

Also, every time I start saving up some gold, I have to buy new flying abilities and it cleans me out... fffffuuuuuu

Angry Grimace

sn1pes said:
No legendary weapons can be used.and.nothing "silly" like the fish dagger from Howling Fjord.

I wonder if earlier stuff you used to wear, like mail for warriors or leather for hunters, can be used. My hunter used to have some neat early leather gear.

Rokal

SiegfriedFM said:
I'll be a bit annoyed if it turns out that all these sets will be buyable from Darkmoon Faire. I've put quite some effort into this already - although obviously not as much as those who got it in vanilla. But "replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs" sounds more like offering the T3 sets or dungeon sets, at least.

Don't assume the Darkmoon stuff will be easy/not a grind. Even if they did offer T2 via the Faire (they probably wont), you're probably looking at a lot of dailies or dungeons for tickets in order to buy these sets. I imagine you're right that T3 will probably return.

Bisnic

I expect to see T3, previous PVP sets not available anymore and maybe some unique models from quests like the staff i posted before.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
I expect to see T3, previous PVP sets not available anymore and maybe some unique models from quests like the staff i posted before.
I'd kind of like to see Dungeon Set 2. The priest set for it is perfect since I really prefer sets that actually look like the class theme.

SteveWD40

scoobs said:
I will be the one rogue wearing the tier 2.5 AQ40 set :)

Lies, I loved that stuff, the AQ20 3 piece set as well (was my first epic "set").

I will vary between lvl 30 greens, full T0.5, T2 and T4 at a guess, the lvl 30 greens are when my Rogue looked like a Pirate back in Vanilla, with the understated pauldrons, knee high boots and a flaming rapier / frosted rapier OH <3

Top Bottom