• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Rokal

I think it's kind of amazing that we're this close to Blizzcon without any big leaks. Aside from (most likely) the name of the expansion, everything else is a mystery. For the first time in a while I'm really excited about Blizzcon. At the same time, if the 4.3 PTR balance is any indication, it could just be Blizzard continuing to disappoint. I mean logically this expansion should be even more content starved than Cata, since they are making this expansion in 1/2 the time they spent on the past three, and they probably started late given how 'behind schedule' they seemed with Cata.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tamanon said:
I just can't even really think of who the boss of the next expansion will be.

I'm thinking a hero class will be announced along with another drastic talent revamp.
Maybe they'll stop offering you the illusion of choice and just give you like 8 talent points that you can only spend on dumb shit like Hungering Cold

I'll probably buy the ticket. I'm (morbidly) curious about what's been cooked up for this expansion. Otherwise the Diablo news will probably be worth it, and it'll be interesting if they unveil Heart of the Swarm multiplayer stuff.

Still, next Blizzcon will probably be a bigger deal, as hopefully we should be getting some info on Titan, and new, new Diablo and Starcraft stuff.

strafer

VH1fn.jpg

RPGCrazied said:
They sure do make it painfully obvious. World of Warcraft preview is so the trailer for the new expansion.

The trailer would be in the opening ceremony, Preview would likely be some sort of panel with loads of info about it.

What's the tolerance for Vanilla private server talk around here? Asking this as someone who has had an active account since November 2004 and would happily play a retail Vanilla server if it were made available (never going to happen).

I figure as most of this content isn't even available anymore, there shouldn't be any qualms with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Freyjadour said:
What's the tolerance for Vanilla private server talk around here? Asking this as someone who has had an active account since November 2004 and would happily play a retail Vanilla server if it were made available (never going to happen).

I figure as most of this content isn't even available anymore, there shouldn't be any qualms with it.
Generally forbidden because it's content theft.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh awesome, I get to watch the opening ceremony free/live on directv.

So, dem 5 token epic gem
patterns. I can't figure out how people will make a profit.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Oh awesome, I get to watch the opening ceremony free/live on directv.

So, dem 5 token epic gem
patterns. I can't figure out how people will make a profit.
You can't even get epic gems without running Dragon Soul a billion times, i.e. you're going to have to get on your alts and farm trash.

Allard

You know this brings up something. Is this the first expansion for WoW that hasn't been completely spoiled before announcement? I mean there is a chance the title might have been exposed but the content and what is happening has been really silent. The last several expansions got spoiled like 1-2 weeks before they got revealed before.

Angry Grimace

Fourth talent tree for each class imo

You know that'd
no, never.

G-Fex

Leveling a 42 Priest, man I don't know if I'm already running out of WoW steam or what cause I'm like not enjoying leveling my Shadow Priest at the moment, it's running slow. Disc isn't that much better for me.

Can someone give me a rotation for shadow cause frankly I think i'm doing something wrong.

Angry Grimace

G-Fex said:
Leveling a 42 Priest, man I don't know if I'm already running out of WoW steam or what cause I'm like not enjoying leveling my Shadow Priest at the moment, it's running slow. Disc isn't that much better for me.

Can someone give me a rotation for shadow cause frankly I think i'm doing something wrong.
What spells do you even have a 42?

The problem with leveling a priest is that priest DPS is almost as DOT based as Warlock, and the way things are balanced, it's super-awkward to try to DOT up regular questing mobs because they last too long to just get blown up with Mind Flay, but not long enough that it's anything but cumbersome to try to set up all your DoTs.

I'm assuming you have SWP, Mind Blast and Mind Flay at the least. Really, I would say you should just hit mobs with MB and then MF becuase it's probably going to be a waste of a global to set up SWP, Devouring Plague or VT on a Level 42 Quest mob.

G-Fex

Angry Grimace said:
What spells do you even have a 42?

The problem with leveling a priest is that priest DPS is almost as DOT based as Warlock, and the way things are balanced, it's super-awkward to try to DOT up regular questing mobs because they last too long to just get blown up with Mind Flay, but not long enough that it's anything but cumbersome to try to set up all your DoTs.

I'm assuming you have SWP, Mind Blast and Mind Flay at the least. Really, I would say you should just hit mobs with MB and then MF becuase it's probably going to be a waste of a global to set up SWP, Devouring Plague or VT on a Level 42 Quest mob.

Pretty much, if I dotted every mob I'd be drinking every other minute. My mana doesn't take kindly to dots.

Yeah i've just been doing mind blast mind flay over and over again and finishing them off with shadow word death

Angry Grimace

G-Fex said:
Pretty much, if I dotted every mob I'd be drinking every other minute. My mana doesn't take kindly to dots.

Yeah i've just been doing mind blast mind flay over and over again and finishing them off with shadow word death
I didn't even know you had Death at that level, you used to get it at 70. It's tedious, but it's going to be that way because Priest leveling is a tedious job at any level. Some classes suck more than others at leveling. I've never much cared for Rogue leveling at any level either.

G-Fex

Angry Grimace said:
I didn't even know you had Death at that level, you used to get it at 70. It's tedious, but it's going to be that way because Priest leveling is a tedious job at any level. Some classes suck more than others at leveling. I've never much cared for Rogue leveling at any level either.

Yeah when I came back I found everything in the trees and powers are all switched around.

Yeah it's tedious but it's not as bad as leveling a rogue, still can't even finish leveling my old horde rogue.

Made a goblin shaman too, took forever to level her up and she's like 16, meh I don't feel like goinf further with her.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
FYI: At level 84 with the helm, cloak, guild perk doing the azeorth, cataclysm, outland, and northrend trick or treating gives you ~41% of the level.

34,500 exp per pot and there's like... 108 total.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
FYI: At level 84 with the helm, cloak, guild perk doing the azeorth, cataclysm, outland, and northrend trick or treating gives you ~41% of the level.

34,500 exp per pot and there's like... 108 total.
Does the Unburdened buff apply to that? I have epic flight on my Lvl 72 shaman and I hate dragonblight.

G-Fex said:
Yeah when I came back I found everything in the trees and powers are all switched around.

Yeah it's tedious but it's not as bad as leveling a rogue, still can't even finish leveling my old horde rogue.

Made a goblin shaman too, took forever to level her up and she's like 16, meh I don't feel like goinf further with her.
Shaman is an easy class to level imo.

G-Fex

Angry Grimace said:
Does the Unburdened buff apply to that? I have epic flight on my Lvl 72 shaman and I hate dragonblight.

Shaman is an easy class to level imo.

indeed, I just hate the barrens and it's quests.

and no mount til 20

Alex

Well, the hardest part of questing is staying awake while you make your lonely trudge across the empty world.

G-Fex

Alex said:
Well, the hardest part of questing is staying awake while you make your lonely trudge across the empty world.

I've been finding it hard lately to focus but that's not the game's fault it's mine.

Yeah, the world is fucking empty man.

Back then in 2008-9 or so you'd find other people questing and shit and get ganked.

I'd be surprised if I ever got fucking ganked ever.

I level my characters to their 50's and wasn't ganked once, I used to get ganked back then almost every other day.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
nope :(

Doesn't even replace the 10% from the helm.
Guess it doesn't stack with the perk.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
G-Fex said:
i'm impatient, I don't like walking

I think it makes hims angry because people are having it easy nowadays and are complaining about waiting for lvl 20 for mounts.

Back then, years ago, we walked on foot until we reach lvl 40.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
I think it makes hims angry because people are having it easy nowadays and are complaining about waiting for lvl 20 for mounts.

At which point we didn't have the money for mounts

G-Fex

Bisnic said:

I know, I was one of those people who walked til 40

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
STV was always... "special" as Alliance back then, no flying paths to the north at all and no mounts. Always walking from either Darkshire or Sentinel Hill.

Man, that was fun right?

Tamanon

Banned
Man, Vanilla WoW sucked:/

I remember running so much AV just so I wouldn't have to shell out so much money for Epic mounts.

Tamanon said:
Man, Vanilla WoW sucked:/

I remember running so much AV just so I wouldn't have to shell out so much money for Epic mounts.

Hahahaha, I totally did that with my hunter in early Wrath. Got a PvP mount since I didn't have the money for an epic mount after the training (this being the first character I had leveled that high.)

Leveling through Outland and Northrend on ground mounts was a completely different experience too.

Miletius

Bisnic said:
STV was always... "special" as Alliance back then, no flying paths to the north at all and no mounts. Always walking from either Darkshire or Sentinel Hill.

Man, that was fun right?

It was fun in the general sense of exploration fun -- I remember running through STV as a level 30ish character and it being the first real encounter I had with Alliance and a contested zone. Working with my guild to defend each other. There isn't much of the sense of mystery about WoW anymore, and I don't think any other MMO since then has been able to capture it in the same way (EQ and UO had it in spades though).

Current WoW is a much better game, but it loses a lot of it's charm when it loses it's mystery too. Plus back then I didn't understand anything about how the game worked.

Alex

It did suck, class balance was horrible and end game was a wasteland but I still think the leveling was better balanced and designed back then.

I just prefer the grindy quests to the minigame marathon and there were lots of people and group quests and elite creatures and even normal mobs could be threatening, especially considering you rarely went into a new environment overpowering it like you do today.

But that's the sole highspot for me, even if it is kind of a big one. No one ever mentions the insane amount of annoying bugs this game had early on too. How fun it was to die as a Warlock with a Soulstone on and lose all bonus stamina. There was some Funcom level shit through 2006 or so.

Alucrid

Banned
Alex said:
It did suck, class balance was horrible and end game was a wasteland but I still think the leveling was better balanced and designed back then.

Probably because you had to 'level' not just kill a mob or two and be level 20.

Angry Grimace

Alucrid said:
Probably because you had to 'level' not just kill a mob or two and be level 20.
Most of us call that grinding.

Angry Grimace said:
Generally forbidden because it's content theft.

Right then, back to other forums as that is a rather silly outlook for someone who has owned the content several times over and paid over a thousand dollars into a subscription system.

Angry Grimace

Freyjadour said:
Right then, back to other forums as that is a rather silly outlook for someone who has owned the content several times over and paid over a thousand dollars into a subscription system.
You've never owned the content.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Freyjadour said:
The software is actually licensed, not sold. And you are not allowed to emulate or create an unauthorized service that connects to the software.

Every time you install the software you have to agree to this end user agreement.

Angry Grimace

Freyjadour said:
There's probably an image out there to express the degree to which I'm rolling my eyes, but I'm too tired to go looking.
Just go look up "Rebirth server" and stop bitching about it here.

Alex

Angry Grimace said:
Most of us call that grinding.

Grinding isn't, by default, a bad word to me, though. I'm not looking to mash through the scenario here. I want to participate in a lot of combat, gathering, crafting, exploration, etc. I want to have to think and plan my way through situations at least once in awhile. That kind of grinding is only as good or bad as the designers make it.

Not looking for h4rdc0r3, but a good game world should have some danger and tension to it, at least that's what I think.

Personally, my idea of the mundane would be repetition without risk/reward or any meaningful mechanics driving the experience. Lately, that's certainly the best summary for Blizzard's questing where you trudge your deity across the empty land to do mini-games that would struggle to qualify as D-list in some oddball Little Big Planet game... At least until you hit 60 then you just fly over every object in the game.

They really should have found a way to make leveling more engaging and useful, even to veteran players, back when they redid Azeroth. Luckily, I don't need to level again, I've got the classes I like all finished up.... until they add another!

Top Bottom