• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Door2Dawn said:
So does this mean the expansion will be more PvP focused since it's really about Alliance vs Horde?
Not a chance in the world, in my opinion. The fact is, you don't need an expansion to focus on PvP. PvP players just fight each other regardless of what level they are. You wouldn't even need more levels, just more gear levels.

Alex said:
What the hell, it starts at level 1, that's so dopey.

Neat that it's tri-spec, though.
That was another of the rumours I had read; that they are not going to create more hero classes because they felt it didn't work.

RPGCrazied said:
Pandaren
Draenei
Dwarf
Gnome
Human
Night Elf
Blood Elf
Orc
Tauren
Troll
Forsaken

who can be monks.
Everyone but the Cataclysm races then.

McNei1y

I got all of the classes right except for Death Knights. Blizzard should've just removed hero classes and installed a hero talent system. It would've added so much more versatility. Another OP racial for the Pandas: "Pressure point; put enemy to sleep for 3 seconds". Sheesh. Monks for every race except Goblin and Worgen.

No auto attack for Monks. Interesting.

Alex

Hm, I was thinking maybe you could use the Pandaren to transfer goods between factions but it's probably more along the lines of you can't send them anything until they're 10+. I really wish they'd just let you send things x-faction, it's so annoying.

Whoa, talents are really revamped I guess, multiple choice now rather than trees?

McNei1y

Alex said:
Whoa, talents are really revamped I guess, multiple choice now rather than trees?

I guess thats sorta cool. I've always liked Talent Trees since it seems like you really become something unique but this multiple choice thing seems cool too. I can now be an Affliction Warlock with Shadowfury!

More pictures are up on MMOchamp.

tZAJr.jpg

Zandalari Isle.. cool

edit: wow. Pet battles are pokemon. lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The interesting question is that giving Pandaren to both Horde and Alliance with no particular difference in appearance destroys the Horde/Alliance PvP silhouette argument. Can faction betrayal be far behind?

G-Fex

McNei1y said:
You play wow? Start a new character and join my reroll for no reason phase.

Looking forward to Blizzcon details tomorrow. Hopefully there's a lot of new expansion info.

course i play wow

Miletius

Angry Grimace said:
The interesting question is that giving Pandaren to both Horde and Alliance with no particular difference in appearance destroys the Horde/Alliance PvP silhouette argument. Can faction betrayal be far behind?

Things change, and I think this is one of those things that will be there until they need something exciting for people to look forward to -- i.e. maybe next expansion.

Alex

This is more like it, this is the kind of stuff I've wanted since WOTLK.

PvE Scenarios
PvE Scenarios are a way to give new interesting content that doesn't make sense in a dungeon content.
Scenarios are more about reusing parts of the world in interesting new ways, and introducing new types of PvE gameplay that we've never seen before like PvE battlegrounds.
They are short instances for a few players, the amount of players can vary depending on the scenario, some of them can be for 3 players.
You don't need the typical tank/heal/dps setup, you will just be able to enter and play your role no matter what it is.
It will be a staged experience where you will try to accomplish some greater goal
For example, a scenario might require you to kill 25 kobolds in stage 1, then find and return 4 goldshire children, and then kill the boss.
Developers would like to do PvE battlegrounds, where you will have to slay 50 alliance/horde soldiers, destroy 6 towers and the barracks, and then defeat the enemy General.
They could replace group quests.
It uses the same queue system as the dungeon finder
Since there is no role requirements, queues should be instant.

Challenge Mode Dungeons
Complete a dungeon in x minutes
To earn Bronze, Silver, Gold medals.
Gear levels are normalized, all your gear will be brought to the same level to make the competition even.
You can't just get better gear to overpower it.
It will reward sweet looking gear with no stats, and valor points!
Challenge Mode will reward you with very unique looking gear to show off how awesome you are to your friends
A new challenge dungeons UI will be added, you will be able to check your medals, your ranking, show what rewards you can unlock, etc ....

Pet Battle System
You will be able to collect, level, and battle with companion pets.
It will be accessible to all players.
Works with almost every pet
Pet Customization, you will be able to name your pet, give them visual abilities, etc ...
There will be "Wild pets", you can find them in the world and engage in battle with them. You will then be able to get that pet and add it to your Pet Journal.
Pets have random stats, some of them will be very good at tanking, some will have a CC ability, etc ...
Some pets will only be found during a specific season, while it's raining, or during the day or the night. Some of them will only spawn in the spring, when it's raining, in elwynn forest at night!
Most pets will become tradable, even after it's leveled, etc ...
Pets will be account wide
Your pet journal will display info on all your pets, including stats, skills, and also drop locations and lore info for the pets you don't have yet!
Winning battles earns you experience, and levels your pets.
You will learn new abilities. Every pet can use 3 abilities in a battle at one time.
Every time you level you will also increase the stats of your pet.
You will level multiple pets to build your team.
You have 3 battle slots, one for each pet in your team.

Pet Battle System - Battle
PvE and PvP Battles
It will be turn based.
A simple combat system.
Fight with a team of 3 pets
Queuing system, you will be able to find a fight pretty fast depending on the level of your pets.

Pet Battle System - Customization
You will finally be able to name your pets, and see that name in battle.
Items for your pets, you will have an item slot for your pet and might be able to socket gems in those items, etc ...
Individual builds of abilities and different teams.
Masters and Masters abilities, there will be different NPC pet masters in the world who will let you earn abilities when you beat them. For example, beating the master of mechanical pets will get you a new ability for your pet!

McNei1y

G-Fex said:
course i play wow

What faction are you... You Horde?!

I'm pumped they're bringing World Bosses back.

EDIT: PVP battlegrounds. A Dota type BG = Azshara Crater. I wonder how thats going to be... Its cool they're bringing that BG back though.

Angry Grimace

BTW: I just replaced my old GTX 260 with a GTX 560Ti. If anyone wants my old GTX 260, (lives in America), I'll give it out for free to anyone who has more than 20 posts in this thread and is willing to pay shipping.

I'll just eBay it if there's no takers; I don't really want to deal with that though. PM if interested.

Miletius

I'm glad that it least looks like Blizzard is making big changes and taking chances with this expansion. Then again, when Cata was first revealed we were thinking probably about the same thing. But, getting rid of the talent trees, which is something they wouldn't dare do until now shows that maybe they are finally looking past the stale "what can I iterate on to make it better" concept and instead looking towards "what new can I bring in to really impress the player."

It might finally be time to shelve my lock, which I've played since Vanilla.

th3dude

I'm a relatively newer player (not even to 85 yet on my main), but these announcements alone have sold me on the annual pass deal. So good.

G-Fex

McNei1y said:
What faction are you... You Horde?!

I'm pumped they're bringing World Bosses back.

EDIT: PVP battlegrounds. A Dota type BG = Azshara Crater. I wonder how thats going to be... Its cool they're bringing that BG back though.

I'm ally and I got one horde on Lightnings blade.

Loxley

Holy crap at these talent changes O.O Love what I'm hearing, I really like that Blizzard is flat-out rethinking their approach to talent trees after seven years. What worked in 2004 doesn't cut it in 2011, really looking forward to classes panel now.

Number45

sn1pes said:
I'm a relatively newer player (not even to 85 yet on my main), but these announcements alone have sold me on the annual pass deal. So good.
I can't get my head around it all. I have a 60 day card here waiting to be activated but now I don't want to, I'd rather go for the yearly pass and get D3 for free! Is there a time limit on when the offer expires? If I use this card and then sign up for a year will I still get the benefits?

Alex

Monk seems so amazing, almost too much so, it feels like itll make the old classes look... well old. Monk has always been my favorite type of class though so I don't care!

I'm really impressed though in general. Everything sounds great so far, considering how let down I was with Cata I'm happy to see them almost freakishly cater to my concerns with content and design style.

Dresden

Just when I thought I was done with the game, I'M PULLED SCREAMING AND CLAWING BACK.

Kung Fu Pandaland sounds pretty fun, I'll be back for the expansion.

Angry Grimace

The thing about monks is that I assume they're a bit like Chloromancer in Rift; in that they heal less than Clerics and do less damage than other mages which makes them more effective in raids than small groups.

Also, I can't see how Bladestorm on a Fury Warrior can make it to live. It just can't. Can it? I can't say I'm a big fan of taking talents you ALREADY HAD and then saying you have to reach Level 90 to use them again, i.e. Bladestorm or Shockwave.

Angry Grimace

I don't understand why you would select blood tap that's crappier than regular blood tap over Runic Empowerment or Runic Corruption. Perhaps they meant to remove the cooldown from Blood Tap?

Also, DKs now have that abilities that the Lich King used on you - Remorseless Winter.

Alex

Some of these talent choices look surprisingly tougher than I figured they'd be. The Shaman ones are pretty impressive.

Angry Grimace said:
I don't understand why you would select blood tap that's crappier than regular blood tap over Runic Empowerment or Runic Corruption. Perhaps they meant to remove the cooldown from Blood Tap?

Also, DKs now have that abilities that the Lich King used on you - Remorseless Winter.

Remorseless Winter definitely seems like a lot of fun.

Some of the talent choices will be tough, but from what has been shown so far, there are some that are definitely easier to make for certain specs, especially if you're a healer or a tank.

Overall, this is one of the biggest changes since the game launched. Though I think it's fair to say that the "classic" WoW experience ended with Wrath of the Lich King. They're going off other directions to try and keep the game alive while Titan, which can be improved from the ground up, is in development.

Hero

Death Knights look like they might be OP again. Remorseless Winter? Fuck yeah.

Also Vendetta grants Rogues a 30 yard strike. lol.

Angry Grimace

McNei1y said:
wow. The Warlock tier spells/talents/whatever you call them are pretty cool. New demons or two demons at once... hmm!!!
The third option is no demons at all. You just have to summon one back and murder it to maintain the buff.

Other things you might have missed:

Quests which award VALOR POINTS (wtf?)
"Rogues and warriors can now throw their melee weapon" (I'm pretty sure this was the design for the entire game other than Cataclysm lol)

Hero said:
Death Knights look like they might be OP again. Remorseless Winter? Fuck yeah.

Also Vendetta grants Rogues a 30 yard strike. lol.

If anyone will be OP and/or changed a lot, it will be the Monk.

Also, the Dungeon & Raid Panel isn't showing :(

RPGCrazied

Nice to know the annual sub also gets you in the beta first wave, I thought maybe you had to wait, so thats another sweet thing.

Alex

I wish theyd show some monk gameplay, even if they dont say much about the abilities and stuff and it's kind of rough. Maybe the animations aren't ready yet though.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I wish theyd show some monk gameplay, even if they dont say much about the abilities and stuff and it's kind of rough. Maybe the animations aren't ready yet though.
My guess it that almost none of it is ready beyond at a basic level.

They haven't announced more spots per server, but it's probably a given since there are now more classes than slots.

Vano

I am curious about something someone said about Soul Shards only being for Affliction and that Demon(Will recharge a meter and go Meta when full)/Destro will have another resource mechanic :O, also looking at the talents gives the name of a new Nuke (Malefic Grasp), the question is which spec will have it if it is indeed a main nuke, Demon or Aff (as Destro main nuke is Inci).

Also the pets talents will depends on wich one will give the best dmg (or maybe they will be the same dmg with the only difference being functionality/looks?), also FINALLY better defense/ohshits CD's.

Really hyped about the new expansion and the Pokemon MMO, its a shame that the Pandas can't be Warlocks :( oh blizz why you so addicting.

McNei1y

Warlock two demons is pretty ridiculous now that I think about ways of using it. Felguard + Felpup/Succubus for extreme CC/interrupts. Take that fools.

Angry Grimace

McNei1y said:
Warlock two demons is pretty ridiculous now that I think about ways of using it. Felguard + Felpup/Succubus for extreme CC/interrupts. Take that fools.
Then again, we don't really know anything about what demons will be able to do at that point. That's pretty far away.

McNei1y

Angry Grimace said:
Then again, we don't really know anything about what demons will be able to do at that point. That's pretty far away.

Yeah but pet abilities have been pretty much the same so I'm just basing it off that. Still weird to me that Monks are the new class. I've been waiting to see that implemented for awhile now.

Angry Grimace

Freyjadour said:
Rogue "Talents" look like a lot of really ass-y PvP shit until 90. Fantastic.
True, but for the most part, we aren't seeing the spec skills so it seems like you don't have much to do when really you will.

Rogue's always been the class I think has lagged behind in class design, frankly.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Blizzard admits they're not creative enough to keep up the type of hard-mode design that went into Ulduar.

Hahahaha, I knew it.
It's better than lying and saying its better to toggle a mode.

Top Bottom