• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow IGN still had codes left. Given how quickly they were going earlier it makes you wonder just how many people must be in if they had lasted this long.

Heroic Thok down! 11/14H now.

SCBF is gonna be a BITCH though. I can tell after a half a dozen pulls on him tonight.

Got helm from Thok though it cost me quite a bit of DKP. Coined a pike which is useless. Though one of our warriors coined a HWF Tail Tip. We also had a HWF Ring, but I didn't have enough DKP left to win that as well. At least the helm is another piece that can't be replaced until Warlords drops and I don't have to worry about it. Still will save coins for the trinket/ring each week now since I have most other slots filled with heroic gear. Assuming I don't have extra coins from extended weeks it'd be Thok, Malkorok, and Norushen.

aka_bueno

Thinking about re-subbing after so many years outta the loop, the updated models and new expansion call to me. Server probably would be Mal'Ganis since that's where there's like 4 of you GAFers on.

Any tips or tricks? I'd basically be starting fresh.

Slayerx

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/
SuperData-Top10SubscriptionMMOs_Worldwide.jpg
I think it's more than LoL and Dota 2 combined but behind Crossfire #dedgaem.

Desperately want a WoD beta key at this point. It's just odd that I never got into anything for years then suddenly Hearthstone, b-net launcher, Heroes but not this :( My luck ran out.

Tacitus_

I wanted to try and get Timeless Epics into each slot, but I invested like two hours into the Isle and only got four pieces.

While I agree this is leaps and bounds ahead of how fast gearing a new 90 used to be, I guess my threshold/patience have lowered with time.

I actually wish scenarios like this one were like CMs - scaled iLevels, so that it really does come down to skill instead of grinding.

My suggestion would be setting aside some time to do an LFR or two.

Heroic Thok down! 11/14H now.

SCBF is gonna be a BITCH though. I can tell after a half a dozen pulls on him tonight.

Got helm from Thok though it cost me quite a bit of DKP. Coined a pike which is useless. Though one of our warriors coined a HWF Tail Tip. We also had a HWF Ring, but I didn't have enough DKP left to win that as well. At least the helm is another piece that can't be replaced until Warlords drops and I don't have to worry about it. Still will save coins for the trinket/ring each week now since I have most other slots filled with heroic gear. Assuming I don't have extra coins from extended weeks it'd be Thok, Malkorok, and Norushen.

Yeah siegecrafter is a bitch. We had over double the amount of wipes on him before we finally got him.
Hope you've got the classes to cheese the belt...

Shahadan

Haha a friend tried to get a key from ign uk, registered, paid for prime, and only then they told him they had run out of key.

Shameless.

Edit: Oh shit he wanted to gift it to me...Now I'm crying.

My suggestion would be setting aside some time to do an LFR or two.

Yeah siegecrafter is a bitch. We had over double the amount of wipes on him before we finally got him.
Hope you've got the classes to cheese the belt...

We've got a WW Monk and 2-3 Hunters and then have a 5th/6th that can't cheese, I believe. At least 2 hunters and the WW Monk for sure though.

I'm melee (Frost DK) staying on the ground so fight is pretty ZZzzz, but the learning curve for ranged and belt team is going to be fairly high.

Hixx

Re-subbed to actual WoW, unstable beta had given me the itch to play but not enough time to scratch myself. Getting ported to Garrison every few minutes was very frustrating, even for a beta.

No idea what to use my free 90 on. Thinking Night Elf Druid on a decent Alliance realm (played Horde solidly since TBC)... decisions!

Tacitus_

We've got a WW Monk and 2-3 Hunters and then have a 5th/6th that can't cheese, I believe. At least 2 hunters and the WW Monk for sure though.

I'm melee (Frost DK) staying on the ground so fight is pretty ZZzzz, but the learning curve for ranged and belt team is going to be fairly high.

In our experience, the tanks and healers had the worse time learning how to use their cooldowns to survive the damage spikes. Of course the belt took some time learning but you can get a hang of it (provided you look up the kill order) in a couple of wipes. As for ranged, just drill in to their big fat heads to kill the fucking mines.

Tacitus_

Holy hell the beta performs like arse. I get half the fps from live and the ping feels like 1-2k while the game says 200ms.

I don't remember the WotLK beta being this rough.

Magnus

Right now, it isn't gear that's stopping me from getting Kanrethad down for this Warlock quest. It's execution.

That said, my execution seems totally on point, but a couple of things are screwing with me that I don't understand.

1. Threat on Fel Imps. I'm Soulshattering right as they begin to spawn, per most guides' instructions. Yet I still get threat half the time. What gives? Should I be shattering only after they've all spawned and aggro'd to me, or should it be pre-emptive as the guides suggest? I'm not sure what the mechanics are behind Shatter.

2. I move the Pit Lord far away pre-Fel Hunter phase, which seems to diminish the odds of Enslave breaking. It seems totally random sometimes, though. What is the best practice for trying to prevent Enslave breaks? It makes all the difference in that phase.

schwupp

anyway to get target of target with the normal bliz ui in the beta atm?

.. and eh .. my char has her sword stuck through her when not in hand. animation bugged?

Dinjooh

anyway to get target of target with the normal bliz ui in the beta atm?

.. and eh .. my char has her sword stuck through her when not in hand. animation bugged?

Does Interface - Combat - Target of target not do it?

Been years since i've used the standard ui.

Tacitus_

Right now, it isn't gear that's stopping me from getting Kanrethad down for this Warlock quest. It's execution.

That said, my execution seems totally on point, but a couple of things are screwing with me that I don't understand.

1. Threat on Fel Imps. I'm Soulshattering right as they begin to spawn, per most guides' instructions. Yet I still get threat half the time. What gives? Should I be shattering only after they've all spawned and aggro'd to me, or should it be pre-emptive as the guides suggest? I'm not sure what the mechanics are behind Shatter.

2. I move the Pit Lord far away pre-Fel Hunter phase, which seems to diminish the odds of Enslave breaking. It seems totally random sometimes, though. What is the best practice for trying to prevent Enslave breaks? It makes all the difference in that phase.

1. Soul Shatter dumps your current threat, it doesn't make you immune to it. Dunno what the hell the guide means by shattering when they start spawning. Rain of Fire + FnB conflags work wonders here.

2. Send it towards the stairs and kill the fel hunters ASAP, havoc + CB the first two, then stun them with shadowfury and try to get at least the first two killed before the stun wears off.

(again I stress the value gear gives you here. I did it in 520 or so gear and completely walked over it, whereas when I first started trying it at <500 I died lots to those two points as well)

Dinjooh

1. Soul Shatter dumps your current threat, it doesn't make you immune to it. Dunno what the hell the guide means by shattering when they start spawning. Rain of Fire + FnB conflags work wonders here.

2. Send it towards the stairs and kill the fel hunters ASAP, havoc + CB the first two, then stun them with shadowfury and try to get at least the first two killed before the stun wears off.

(again I stress the value gear gives you here. I did it in 520 or so gear and completely walked over it, whereas when I first started trying it at <500 I died lots to those two points as well)

Yea I don't quite understand the idea behind dropping threat on them. You don't have to be particularly well geared to nuke them down with instant spells.

Tacitus_

Yea I don't quite understand the idea behind dropping threat on them. You don't have to be particularly well geared to nuke them down with instant spells.

With crap gear (ie when it first opened) you needed to do all sorts of tricks with gateway (which makes you less threatening) so you wouldn't get murdered by imps. ToT gear made this unnecessary.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kind of miss playing on a big server like Zul'jin. I could sell Ghost Iron all day, every day for a profit. It wasn't huge, but it was the most consistent thing I had, and I could make like 400g off a Living Steel with my alchemist.

On Thaurissan, I can sell Ghost Iron for 'meh' and sometimes it doesn't sell at all because it's just not as popular of a buyer market as ZJ. Especially since there's only a few 14/14H guilds(like 5 including mine), and only one that's upper ranks(Last Attempt). There's not a huge CM market or anything even though I know it's fairly popular server at the right time since it merged. It's no Frostmourne, I guess, but I imagine things will get better when the AHs merge as I know there's a lot of Allies on this server lately.

Magnus

I'm good now, thank you!

I can reliably and easily make it to the second Fel Hunter phase now, with the boss at 50%. (I'm still in boosted greens, plus 5 timeless 48X epics, and no solid enchants, haha).

I'm letting nerves get the best of me and forgetting to properly position the Pit lord far left enough to avoid its enslave breaking when the hunters emerge. Once I wrap my head around that, I think I might be ok!

I'm sure that I do want to begin buffing/flasking/gearing up if I can't kill him before a third Doom Lord. Once I learn how to survive a full 9 minutes into the fight, I'll see how far the dps gap is and go from there.

I'm still 3 days into the class basically, and haven't yet developed a good instinct for when to chaos bolt and when to continue spamming incinerate to maximize damage, so I bet with some practice and experience I could have him at 40-45% instead of 50% at Fel Hunter round 2.

This is such a fun fight. Best solo WoW play I've experienced.

knicks

Is there a cheaper place to buy prepaid 60 day game cards than offgamers? It's currently $25.75 there. Appreciate any input.

Tacitus_

I'm still 3 days into the class basically, and haven't yet developed a good instinct for when to chaos bolt and when to continue spamming incinerate to maximize damage, so I bet with some practice and experience I could have him at 40-45% instead of 50% at Fel Hunter round 2.

The short of it is, you want to be chaos bolting when you have temporary buffs up or are at max embers, with the exception if something needs to die NOW, such as those fel hunters. Buff watching addons are heavily recommended there, I personally use TellMeWhen.

raid testing starting on monday for heroic (normal on live) Highmaul
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13507080853#1

I hope the servers can handle it. The PvE realm has been crashing practically once an hour today.

Magnus

The short of it is, you want to be chaos bolting when you have temporary buffs up or are at max embers, with the exception if something needs to die NOW, such as those fel hunters. Buff watching addons are heavily recommended there, I personally use TellMeWhen.

Thanks! I'm glad. This is the conclusion I basically surmised.

I think I've fallen in love with this class. So happy I boosted.

I really hope more questlines and high-end scenarios like this come to pass for other classes. I'd be thrilled to see my main (priest) through something as taxing as this boss.

I know class-exclusive content is a tough proposition though, vs doing content for a wider audience.

Magnus

I know GAF guilds haven't and likely won't happen since everyone's spread out, but doesn't the game now permit cross-server everything for groups and raiding? (Except for heroic raids, or in 6.0 mythic raids)

If so, I'm a horde player with a geared main (priest) comfortable with all specs looking to PvE content with anyone and their guild! Even Scenarios and shit.

My old PvE guild is still going but I know very few faces there these days and it's alliance and a different server. So I'd rather keep my toons where they are for now.

I have a bunch of fresh 90 alts on both Alliance and Horde if people want to group for stuff too.

How does this work, battletags to connect? I'm budrickton#1762 I think. Let me clarify that when I'm home. Lol.

If they opened up cross server mail between alts, I'd happily move my toon around to another server. I know they have for BoA items but not for anything else, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So for an arms warrior I know I want to prioritize hit and expertise, so can anyone give me an idea of which of these two boots would be better?

8GmHYft.png

You don't want to 'prioritize' hit or expertise, you just want to hit the cap for them, so you don't miss. After that, you want crit above all as a warrior, and haste is your last desired state.

Keep the boots with crit on them and just make sure you reforge to have the hit and exp you need.

You don't want to 'prioritize' hit or expertise, you just want to hit the cap for them, so you don't miss. After that, you want crit above all as a warrior, and haste is your last desired state.

Keep the boots with crit on them and just make sure you reforge to have the hit and exp you need.

Thanks, going to cap is what I meant by prioritizing I just wasn't really clear. My hit is actually a little too high, and my expertise too low so Im going to need to reforge to get that sorted out. Currently trying to work on weapon + trinkets to get up over the 496 mark.

Tacitus_

She is fucking hilarious. The Laughing Skull are awesome. Gorgrond is fucking gorgeous. I wasn't so hot on Frostfire Ridge, but goddamn Gorgrond has a better first impression.

(the frostwolves were dour and annoying and thrall seemed to keep his trap shut, though one questline bugged out so I couldn't finish the zone)

E: GORGEOUS

(watch me get disappointed once I get out of the jungle, lol)

Talents

Banned
So I just bought Warlords of Draenor and decided to buy some membership for WoW. I made my level 90 character and am now on Outland EU. However you start with next to no gold, does anyone have any tips on how to make gold. I've never really been good at it.

Tacitus_

So I just bought Warlords of Draenor and decided to buy some membership for WoW. I made my level 90 character and am now on Outland EU. However you start with next to no gold, does anyone have any tips on how to make gold. I've never really been good at it.

Get double gathering professions and start farming. Not exactly interesting, but it's a steady and generally good cashflow. Dailies bring in a reasonable amount as well.

Tamanon

Banned

Quest. Go to the Isle of Thunder and get a key to do a cache run for an easy ~250 gold minimum per week, along with filling up on Elder Charms. Then run some LFRs and sell the items.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Get double gathering professions and start farming. Not exactly interesting, but it's a steady and generally good cashflow. Dailies bring in a reasonable amount as well.

Eh, mining is. I don't know about skinning. No one should ever be an herbalist if they want to make money. It's a joke, and the only thing worth any gold(Lotus) is best farmed through Sunsong, which doesn't require herbalism.

It's honestly always been incredibly unbalanced in favor of Mining. Skinning used to not be worth anything either, but I don't know how that still is.

Tacitus_

Eh, mining is. I don't know about skinning. No one should ever be an herbalist if they want to make money. It's a joke, and the only thing worth any gold(Lotus) is best farmed through Sunsong, which doesn't require herbalism.

It's honestly always been incredibly unbalanced in favor of Mining. Skinning used to not be worth anything either, but I don't know how that still is.

True, herbing is not exactly a moneymaker compared to mining, but it's more like a nice bonus when you run into a lotus or a bush that happens to sell at more than 20g a stack.

Tamanon

Banned
Skinning is weird. It's almost worthless doing it at max level, but going back and skinning stuff for thick leather or even savage leather stacks money.

Tacitus_

Skinning is weird. It's almost worthless doing it at max level, but going back and skinning stuff for thick leather or even savage leather stacks money.

Leatherworking is a pretty good max lvl profession and holy fuck does it require loads of crap to level.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been trying to make gold off Cata greens because people swear it works with time. I haven't had a ton of luck so far, but I get so much that I'll keep at it for a while since it's decent Embersilk.

I'm not even sure WHY these greens are supposed to sell so much. People I talked to said it 's mostly people leveling who want better gear, but I'm kind of like, 'I'm not exactly having issues leveling with greens form Outlands while in Pandaria' due to Heirlooms carrying my dps. And I'd say it's for DEers, but TUJ lists these items at like anywhere from 100-3000 gold, which I have a hard time buying. It's clearly not transmoggers either. Do people twink at 75+ish? Is that the hot bracket?

Yeah I don't get the hype for Cata greens either. I DE them all myself when I happen to farm Cata stuff since Hypnotic Dust is worth at lot (~10-15g ea) since it's used it making Embersilk Bags which are the last tier of non-CD locked bag.

th3dude

How do you guys get alts leveled up so fast? I'm trying to do constant quests and dungeon finder when it pops but it feels slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom