• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Peachpies

I really need a price for what a token will go for before I know whether I like it or not.

15k = cool, I can now play WoW for free

50k = pointless, dumb and will just make gold sellers appear like a much more attractive option for people who are willing to pay irl money for gold.
the price will change based on how many are being sold

ZenaxPure

I might be done paying real money for my WoW sub depending on how much the tokens cost. 15k I would easily do, I make more than that weekly.

It would be really nice. I always let my sub lapse in those long end of expansion content droughts due to boredom, I'd happily keep it going if I could just buy the time with gold considering the only thing to really do in those time frames is amass tons of gold.

I just wonder when this will come out. My sub runs out at the end of the month and like you I was starting to think they had scraped this idea (considering how long they have gone without mentioning it) and I was ready to re-up for another 6 months but now I am not sure. If by "upcoming patch" they mean 6.1.x I might just let it expire and wait until they come out and check prices and go from there but if they mean 6.2 then I am not sure what I want to do.

I'd hope this is coming soonish, seems weird to have a fully fledged FAQ for something that is months and months away.

Dysun

I've made around 400K since the expansion launched, there's no way these things will go for 10-15K, I'd be surprised if they aren't at least 75-100K

ZenaxPure

I've made around 400K since the expansion launched, there's no way these things will go for 10-15K, I'd be surprised if they aren't at least 75-100K

Honestly I think you are in a minority. Seems to be a ton of players that are constantly poor just from not wanting to put in the effort to make gold or not being able to because of real life. If they go for 100k a pop I can't really see the demand keeping up with the supply.

M.D

I seriously doubt even 20% of the player base on most realms have the amount of gold you're talking about at this very moment so paying that much each month is ridiculous.. they want these things to sell because if they don't no one is paying real money to put them on the auction house and this is what its all about

TheYanger

75-100k...no chance. I could get enough for 6 months from a gold sale at that price. Market value is determined by the third party stuff just as much as it is in game.

Dysun

10-15K is nothing, even on dead realms. You can farm Cata 25M Heroic raids and make 6-7K on one character.

If this price range is true anyone that is not dead lazy will never pay a subscription again

idlewild_

10-15k would be way too cheap. You make that in a month just by logging on twice a day for 1m each time to send followers out on missions.

I think 35-45k is probably the sweet spot. Enough where you actually have to engage in some activity to make the gold requirement for the month, but not so much that only a small percentage of the population can afford it.

It's more restrictive than PLEX. Works more similarly to selling gold on the Diablo 3 AH when that was possible. But I guess they want more control and don't want people making fortunes off trading these, which is reasonable I guess.

If they do end up around 20k, I could play WoW indefinitely for free pretty much. Higher than that and it becomes less appealing. The most I could see myself paying for one would be 25k-30k. Any more that that and it's not really worth it at all.

Hopefully they put in a system like the game time for PLEX which lets you log into your account for ~4 hours if it's expired to be able to buy and/or apply game time. Or have some out-of-game reverse redeeming system. Cause paying via token I wouldn't necessarily want to have to pay to activate my account each time I lapsed.

10-15K is nothing, even on dead realms. You can farm Cata 25M Heroic raids and make 6-7K on one character.

If this price range is true anyone that is not dead lazy will never pay a subscription again

Doesn't really matter since it'd still be money in Blizzard's pockets. Particularly since these tokens usually cost slightly more than the regular price of a subscription.

ZenaxPure

I think you're severely underestimating the amount of casual people playing WoW who only have 1 max level character in the first place and might not even have the gear required to clear 25 man heroic cata raids. Not to mention how time consuming that is each week for those same people when they could be doing other things. Has less to do with laziness than it does people who have very busy real lives but still enjoy playing the game.

10-15k would be way too cheap. You make that in a month just by logging on twice a day for 1m each time to send followers out on missions.

I would hope they would be smart enough to compete with third party sites. On my server 20k gold is $19, so assuming this token is around $20-$25 I'd expect it to go for 20-25k gold as well. Otherwise it's not really going to draw away people already buying gold from those shady websites.

I agree that 10-15k is probably a fantasy, but, 20-25k I think seems fairly reasonable.

Then again if you make more than $12 an hour there's something to be said about spending your time outside of work doing something more valuable than grinding out your sub fees in game.

ampere

Every month of sub will be paid by someone. There are only as many tokens as there are token buyers

ZenaxPure

Updated info from mmo-champ from an interview apparently.

The tokens are coming in Patch 6.1.2, coming to the PTR soon.
Some BoE raid loot and Black Market Auction House changes may come as a result of all this.
The price isn't set yet, but it won't be less than the regular subscription price.
You can buy the token without logging in to your character if your account has lapsed.
Blizzard will set the initial price and then let supply and demand take over.

Glad to see it's 6.1.2 and not 6.2.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So I ran the trio of Hyjal Summit, Sunwell and Black Temple. Bit of a slog in places..
Black Temple isn't so bad. At least you get to be the one who kicks Illidan's ass, as opposed to someone else coming in to fight for you. Sure, the other guy who you never see again does all the jabber-jawing, but you still get to win the fight. No one has to come beg for your soul or beat someone's ass on your behalf at the last minute, nor do they perform sort of tricksy "you never saw the real body" bullshit.

Some BoE raid loot and Black Market Auction House changes may come as a result of all this.
What does that mean? They're gonna give less money in raids or what?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Been looking for TMW's Arms Warrior string, but it doesn't look like there's one that is compatible with 6.0.

Guess Arms is still not worth it then?

Black Temple isn't so bad. At least you get to be the one who kicks Illidan's ass, as opposed to someone else coming in to fight for you. Sure, the other guy who you never see again does all the jabber-jawing, but you still get to win the fight. No one has to come beg for your soul or beat someone's ass on your behalf at the last minute, nor do they perform sort of tricksy "you never saw the real body" bullshit.

What does that mean? They're gonna give less money in raids or what?

No idea what that could mean. Anything in Cata is almost completely worthless, at least on my server. 85 BOEs go for 35-75 gold, hardly worth it. I haven't tried panda land raids yet, so I don't know how well those BOEs are doing. Hell, the market for 640-665 stuff has tanked on my server. 655 gloves go for 3-5k now.

The token thing is confusing to me. Why not just sell gold through the in game store, and allow monthly subs to be purchased directly using in game gold? Why even bother with the token part? I guess the economy would get too jacked up doing it that way, but I don't see how this is really much different...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Been looking for TMW's Arms Warrior string, but it doesn't look like there's one that is compatible with 6.0.

Guess Arms is still not worth it then?
On certain cleave-heavy fights Arms can put up really strong numbers. That said, Arms tracks behind other AoE/cleave specs like WW and Enhance, and Arms took a big hit with the 6.1 Execute nerf.

ZenaxPure

The token thing is confusing to me. Why not just sell gold through the in game store, and allow monthly subs to be purchased directly using in game gold? Why even bother with the token part? I guess the economy would get too jacked up doing it that way, but I don't see how this is really much different...

I mean you answer your own question really, it could fuck up the economy. A method like that would be generating gold out of thin air to put into the economy. Yes buying sub time with gold would then take it out of the economy but there is no guarantee that the 2 would be balanced, you could have 1 person pushing gold out for every 20 people putting gold into it. The token system just uses gold that already exists in the world.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Inflation would go crazy

Hex

Banned
So with refer a friend, the person who referring gets the mount and the goods and the returning player gets ...bonus xp?

Nokterian

Made a Gnome Rogue boosted it to 90 (sue me i do not care i do not have time for 1 to 90 anymore because obligations and real life :p) it is different but fun i like it! :)

Hex

Banned
Well duh it's the best all-around class currently.

That answers my next question.
I mainly solo, so what is the best class for that these days.
I know Monks were ok when I stopped playing.
I heard alot about druids.
Always wanted a deathknight, and rogues are always fun.
Never made it past 30ish though.

ZenaxPure

PSA: Looks like they reduced the cost of the brawler's guild ring to 1900g. Makes it a pretty awesome alt gearing item as it's ilvl 630 and only requires rank 2 which is easily doable in questing greens/heirlooms.

Daniel R

If the tokens actually end up costing less than 50 K I am gonna use my 1 million of in game gold to start up one of my alternate accounts again with the sole purpose of getting another 11 chars to 100 (My main account has 11 lvll 10s at this point), spamming follower treasure hunter missions to make even more gold, so I can have both accounts paid for.

One of my secondary accounts is almost full of lvl 85s :). Won't take long to get them all to 100 with full heirlooms. Got plenty of mats to craft lvl 640 BOE's to further boost them 90-100. Also with the 20% XP boost potion it will be even faster.

JSoup

Banned
So, for someone new to shaman, elemental or enhancement?
At a cursory glance, elemental is basically another slow caster type and enhancement is another hit things with hammers type.

Daniel R

Account merging? License merging?

How do I go about getting two of my world of warcraft accounts into the same battle.net account?

They were created using different e-mails but are under the same authenticator.

What I am seeking to solve is that account number 2 (that is now inactive) gets access to items from account 1 that are BOA, i.e. Heirlooms.

Edit: I found it myself after googling on my phone. I could not find any info on my work computer since it blocks all gaming sites.

Short answer: Wow license mergings to a single battle.net account is possible and even recommended by Blizzard. A battle.net account can hold WoW 8 licenses. To merge licenses you submit a ticket to the billings department and then you have to verify that you are the owner of the licenses you want to merge. I suppose having both licenses registered under the same name and payment method (card nr) will help a lot.

TheYanger

That answers my next question.
I mainly solo, so what is the best class for that these days.
I know Monks were ok when I stopped playing.
I heard alot about druids.
Always wanted a deathknight, and rogues are always fun.
Never made it past 30ish though.

Everything is pretty good at soloing. In general the more healy tanks (monks/DKs) are the most capable of soloing the harder stuff, but we're talking like raid bosses from the last expansion designed for 25 people type shit.

You don't have to BE a tank, but the ability to swap to that spec and do something others can't is a big part of their soloability.

And the way RAF works, both players get +xp as long as you're in range of each other physically, and within 4 levels. So basically you both make a new character, you level to 15 in under an hour because you're getting so much xp (you'll be moving QUICKLY dropping quests left and right. don't do green or grey shit) and then you just start queueing dungeons and hit 85 within like 5-6 more hours of played time. You should only get any given dungeon one time and the quests from it will get you several levels. It's a joke.

Renekton

According to Wowhead, the level 680 Alchemy trinket normalizes to:
368 Intellect
253 Versatiliy
105 Spirit

Does this look correct to you?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of the alchemy trinket, do i need to wait for some random npc to show up in my Garrison to buy the recipes to make and upgrade that trinket? Haven't been lucky so far.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If the tokens actually end up costing less than 50 K I am gonna use my 1 million of in game gold to start up one of my alternate accounts again with the sole purpose of getting another 11 chars to 100 (My main account has 11 lvll 10s at this point), spamming follower treasure hunter missions to make even more gold, so I can have both accounts paid for.

One of my secondary accounts is almost full of lvl 85s :). Won't take long to get them all to 100 with full heirlooms. Got plenty of mats to craft lvl 640 BOE's to further boost them 90-100. Also with the 20% XP boost potion it will be even faster.

How are you liking the treasure hunter missions for gold? I have them on my main but none past that. All my alts are running barns, but I'd probably trade those just to have something with less gold but more easily manageable because I hate getting on my alts.

ZenaxPure

Speaking of the alchemy trinket, do i need to wait for some random npc to show up in my Garrison to buy the recipes to make and upgrade that trinket? Haven't been lucky so far.

You get a random NPC in your garrison daily, sometimes it will be one of the profession traders other times it will be someone else, only one trader spawns per day on a set cycle now. Today is the herb trader.

If they aren't in your garrison use the LFG tool to find someone who has them.

GungHo

So, for someone new to shaman, elemental or enhancement?
At a cursory glance, elemental is basically another slow caster type and enhancement is another hit things with hammers type.

Do you want to zap things with lightning or hit them with hammers? Do you want to focus on single target or AoE damage? Both require some deliberation and consideration with totems. I have always found Enhancement to be a far more binary experience than Elemental, in that either I beat the shit out of everything in sight or I get my ass handed to me with Enh whereas Ele is a much smoother experience.

That being said, that's "smoother" in comparison to other Shaman. Shaman in general have issues with sudden groups of adds or enemies that spawn on top of them. It's not like with a warrior or paladin where you almost welcome the opportunity to have another goofball join the fight, even if you're an Enhancement that is putting Fire Novas on everything. It's a good class if you're the type of person who has a plan for how to tackle this and that.

dimb

Do you want to zap things with lightning or hit them with hammers? Do you want to focus on single target or AoE damage? Both require some deliberation and consideration with totems. I have always found Enhancement to be a far more binary experience than Elemental, in that either I beat the shit out of everything in sight or I get my ass handed to me with Enh whereas Ele is a much smoother experience.

That being said, that's "smoother" in comparison to other Shaman. Shaman in general have issues with sudden groups of adds or enemies that spawn on top of them. It's not like with a warrior or paladin where you almost welcome the opportunity to have another goofball join the fight, even if you're an Enhancement that is putting Fire Novas on everything. It's a good class if you're the type of person who has a plan for how to tackle this and that.
Shaman AOE is godly, Elemental especially. If anyone has problems with groups of mobs it shouldn't be them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shaman AOE is godly, Elemental especially. If anyone has problems with groups of mobs it shouldn't be them.

Elemental AOE isn't as strong as you'd think in a lot of important fights where there's a bunch of mobs that need to die quickly. They're good for big trash like the ones before Dark Shaman but like one of the worst parts of Mythic Immerseus as Elemental Shaman was the adds because they constantly moved and died before you could get a chain lightning off. Same with Sha. Flame Nova was bad too. In WoD they buffed it so it would spread quicker but in MoP that was a delay on the spread which fucked over my AOE completely as I would FS an add, add would suddenly die, and my FS would still be on CD.

They can't really compare to burst AOE of a Boomkin or a Warrior.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You get a random NPC in your garrison daily, sometimes it will be one of the profession traders other times it will be someone else, only one trader spawns per day on a set cycle now. Today is the herb trader.

If they aren't in your garrison use the LFG tool to find someone who has them.
90% of the time its just a npc giving a quest. I think i got ore or fur traders once. Still waiting on whatever npc sell the alchemy and scribe recipes/upgrades.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
90% of the time its just a npc giving a quest. I think i got ore or fur traders once. Still waiting on whatever npc sell the alchemy and scribe recipes/upgrades.

The trader with alchemy recipes is up today. For US at least. Got the Transmute Savage Blood.

GungHo

Not groups of mobs you can readily see, but things like spawn-ins or walk-ins. If you're set up and expecting trouble, you don't have problems. But, if you're, for example, looting something and the loot spawns a giant evil tree or a bunch of smaller evil trees, and you weren't expecting trees, you're going to have your face kicked until you can throw down your totems. Same thing for bosses that summon, big monsters on patrol, etc. While that can be said for a lot of things, Shaman mechanics can be unforgiving around this. You have some oh shit buttons, but Macross Missile Massacre isn't one button away.

ZenaxPure

Yeah like I said it's a different NPC everyday. To visit all the NPCs in one single day you have to visit other people's garrisons. Today is the alchemy trader in NA so just hop into the LFG tool and find it. There are a lot of people who just turn on autoinvite (so they don't have to manually accept you) and sit afk in their garrison all day as people pass through.

dimb

Elemental AOE isn't as strong as you'd think in a lot of important fights where there's a bunch of mobs that need to die quickly.
I mean...from both what I see personally and where logs/sims are Ele is still preforming with or outpacing other AoE class even in burst situations, to the point where you see situational cleave like Flamebender being one of Ele's best fights, and they can keep up with Enhance on AoE heavy stuff like Black Furnace.
Not groups of mobs you can readily see, but things like spawn-ins or walk-ins. If you're set up and expecting trouble, you don't have problems. But, if you're, for example, looting something and the loot spawns a giant evil tree or a bunch of smaller evil trees, and you weren't expecting trees, you're going to have your face kicked until you can throw down your totems. Same thing for bosses that summon, big monsters on patrol, etc. While that can be said for a lot of things, Shaman mechanics can be unforgiving around this. You have some oh shit buttons, but Macross Missile Massacre isn't one button away.
If we're just talking about questing I feel like it's really easy for Elemental shamans to drop an Elemental totem and go to town. Even if those are on c/d it's not hard to pop a defensive and just toss out Lava Beams/Earthquakes/Chain Lightning.

Reactively Elemental Shamans have Thunderstorm, and defensive abilities with almost no cooldown timer. Shamanistic Rage is up every minute and Astral Shift is up every minute and a half, and then you have stuff like Ancestral Swiftness/Spiritwalker's Grace to position yourself without issue.
60 Savage Blood to fully upgrade the new Alch trinket...not even worth my time.
You can cough up 60 Savage Blood in your sleep.

Top Bottom