• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Mupod

Bonus rolled the 700 staff off Gruul last night, we normally raid until 11:30 and were going to stop after some hans/frans attempts but we figured we'd give him one try. Glad we did. I've heard some rumors on the internets that your bonus roll becomes more likely to give loot if you get nothing multiple times in a row - and boy was I ever on a streak of bad luck. The trick was to change to resto spec which has only the staff and a chestpiece on the loot table so I had a 50/50 shot at the staff.

I won't know what I get in my cache until I get home from work today but I don't expect much - my last few weeks were all awesome. Haste/mastery caster neck, bracers, and ring - all slots I needed badly, to the point where it was kind of eerie that I kept getting such good stuff. If I get a Kromog cloak or the Iron Maidens boots today then I'll start getting worried.

Hans and Frans seemed intimidating at first but, like oregorger, when you go in with a specific strategy it's in some ways simpler than heroic. Which makes the fact that the same fucking people get stamped every pull even more frustrating. The addon which shows your left/right positioning on the belt things between tracks was a godsend, especially since I'm a fat moonkin and can't see my feet.

StMeph

A quick search seems to suggest that the black market rate for gold is $0.40 per 1kg.

The gold price of the WoW Token falling would mean that the value of legitimate gold is currently around $0.91 per 1kg, approaching $1.00 per 1kg. Even at 30k for the token, that was $0.67 per 1kg.

Edit: re-evaluated current USD:gold ratio due to token going from 23k to 22k.

Lomax

Interestingly, this at least in the short term will actually add a lot of gold back into the WoW economy. No doubt there are plenty of people like me who have long dormant accounts sitting with lots of gold who will spend some of it just to come back in and dabble some. All of that gold was out of circulation and will now flood back in. I'm sure long term it will stabilize again, but short term a pretty massive inflation is probably going to hit everything across the board.

StMeph

It's still kind of staggering what the premium for legitimacy is.

I guess the overwhelming factor isn't how much people are willing to pay for the sub, but how much people are willing to accept in gold for $20.

As for short-term inflation, I no longer think I have any clue when it comes to predicting the behavior of the general casual masses, because I have no idea what that gold would be used toward... Gear? Mounts? Transmogs? I really have no clue whatsoever.

The whole system also highlights the issue for those sitting on mountains of gold: there really isn't anything to spend gold on. Now that gold is being put into circulation, which is interesting, but my expectation is that gold is probably eventually flowing back to the same people who have mountains of gold and spent some to buy sub time.

Yeah I'm not sure what the people buying gold are actually spending it on. Chances are it will indeed probably be flowing back to the uber-wealthy anyway - the people that deal in expensive mounts, transmog, pets.

Though I have a liquid gold stockpile of over 1mil, besides transmog I tended to shy away from high value items and had my focus on volume markets like glyphs and gems to make my gold. Net worth is probably 100-200k higher than my liquid worth due to a small transmog stockpile (plus whatever trade mats I have laying about). Account-worth (just counting the WoW account, assuming I could sell it - not that I ever would) would be significantly higher than that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Then you have a spending problem. And/or never really tried to earn gold. Unless you never have/had max level characters and professions.

Anyway, down to 23k now. Top kek.

I just mentioned in guild chat that I bought 3 tokens now that they are cheaper. Everyone was amazed someone would even have the gold to buy 1. I think there are a lot of WoW players out there that just don't have much gold.

Fjordson

I'm getting one for my horde character. It's my only horde character so basically my entire horde side wealth is a few gold :lol

I'm just too lazy to build it up myself. Starting out with 20-25k off the bat will be great. Even for basic shit like enchants, glyphs, large bags, etc.

I just mentioned in guild chat that I bought 3 tokens now that they are cheaper. Everyone was amazed someone would even have the gold to buy 1. I think there are a lot of WoW players out there that just don't have much gold.

I suppose it makes sense that the masses aren't that wealthy, yeah. It's just a bit weird to me being rich in-game myself, and knowing that at least a handful of other people in my guild that are extremely wealthy - a few I definitely know have more than me. A lot of us made pretty good bank selling H Garrosh carries, some made their money selling CM carries, others play the market like I do, etc.

VoxPop

If I have a bunch of low level missions, do I have to wait for it to expire/do them for a new set of missions to appear?

Lomax

I always found (and granted, this was WotLK and prior, but it probably still applies) that those players like me who prioritized and enjoyed making gold always had tremendous wealth, and most other players really didn't have very much at all. It didn't have much to do with how much they played or even how good they were, plenty of people I raided with were broke most of the time and plenty of others were rich. But yeah, lots of people played the game not really caring how much gold they had unless they had a specific need for it. So I'd imagine those people even now if gold is fairly easy to get just end up spending it and never accumulating it. Though I'm honestly surprised that 4 years later I'd still be considered wealthy in game, I figured inflation would eventually catch me.

Buy Price: 21,959g

Time to Sell: 2 to 12 hours

Officially sub 22k, and it appears they're taking longer to sell too. The buying rush seems to be over with excess supply now in the system. Will probably go even lower, though how low before stabilizing I'm not sure. Still, curious to see how it'll change over the weekend, if it doesn't just sink more.

StMeph

I was going to buy at least one, but at 20kish I'm not sure if I should buy several months' worth instead right now, or max out and go for 10.

Lomax

I mean, I've been an enchanting/tailoring holy priest my whole career, and it wasn't until WoD that I had over 20k :x. Before that, I was always broke. But, with these new tokens and incentive for people to actually start being "self-sufficient" in their game time, Blizzard is banking on either a lot of sellers or is okay with prices of everything going up like crazy, shutting out new players. Maybe this is the beginning of the EVE era of entry.

Well, if you want to buy into f2p paranoia, massive inflation would just in theory provide more motivation for new players to buy tokens to sell for gold, thus making Activision Blizzard more money. And honestly, if I was someone just starting out who had spent the $60-$80 needed to get the game and expansion, dropping another $20 to have a good chunk of gold would actually be a smart purchase and wouldn't add that much to the initial cost.

ZenaxPure

Yeah I'm not sure what the people buying gold are actually spending it on. Chances are it will indeed probably be flowing back to the uber-wealthy anyway - the people that deal in expensive mounts, transmog, pets.

Everything I imagine, keep in mind that the ultra poor have probably always been ultra poor so anything worth buying in previous expansions is possibly something they might be interested in. I mean the current token price can't even buy all the Dalaran mounts now and I'm sure there is someone out there who always wanted the vendor mammoth, god forbid the poor sap wanted the Grand Expedition Yak because that is now like 5 tokens. And any purchase like that is straight up just yanking gold out of the economy so that's fun.

Oh also don't forget that with the new heirloom system the price of 1 token is enough to cover a full set of gear but no weapon. Poor person who wants to get each armor type to level 100 is going to have to buy around 4 tokens, more if they want weapons.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Bonus roll 4 times this raid and all I got was a tier chest I already have and no trinkets from either Flamebender nor Iron Maidens.

FML. I'm willing to bet it's gonna take weeks before those trinkets drop.

Fjordson

So my token is up on the AH, but hasn't sold yet.

Is there a chance for it to not sell? Guessing not because it costs real money. Right...?

ZenaxPure

Is there a chance for it to not sell? Guessing not because it costs real money. Right...?

Do they have a duration like normal auctions? Because if not it will eventually sell. According to blizzard the tokens will sell in the order they were put up for the most part.

Fjordson

Do they have a duration like normal auctions? Because if not it will eventually sell. According to blizzard the tokens will sell in the order they were put up for the most part.
It had a range of time when I was putting it up, but now I can't remember what it was. It was either 2-12 hours or 2-22.

TomServo

That feeling when you wake up, open a BRF cache, and it's a BiS item for a slot that currently has some hot garbage in it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So tired of kill and fetch quests :(

How long do missions stay in your garrison log before they expire?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I bought a token for 21k. Will buy another if it dips under 20.

That feeling when you wake up, open a BRF cache, and it's a BiS item for a slot that currently has some hot garbage in it.

Congrats, friend!

I got bracers. Three caches running. These weren't the same bracers though! These were the bracers with the shitty secondary stats that are inferior to the ones I got in the other two caches.

-_-

Lashley

What would you guys recommend for Large, Medium and Small buildings for Garrison?

Still don't have the plans for salvage yard yet.

What would you guys recommend for Large, Medium and Small buildings for Garrison?

For your very first Garrison?

Large: Mill/Bunker, Barracks
Medium: Inn, whatever
Small: Primary profession, Enchanter's Study, Salvage Yard

Unless you have two professions to learn recipes for, then swap the enchanter's study for whatever your second profession is. If you don't have the plans for the Salvage Yard yet, go unlock them. Nothing else comes close to producing quite like a Salvage Yard.

Alex

I bought one at 30k, I figured they'd go up! I might be mildly annoyed if I didnt have a huge stockpile of gold and little to do with it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know how well mounts and companion pets sell on the store, so of course those same people are going to go buy tokens to guarantee them instant gold in-game.

Lashley

For your very first Garrison?

Large: Mill/Bunker, Barracks
Medium: Inn, whatever
Small: Primary profession, Enchanter's Study, Salvage Yard

Unless you have two professions to learn recipes for, then swap the enchanter's study for whatever your second profession is. If you don't have the plans for the Salvage Yard yet, go unlock them. Nothing else comes close to producing quite like a Salvage Yard.

Yes, thanks a lot! :)

Haven't chosen my Professions yet, dunno what to choose :(

Lomax

Token price bottomed out at 20,370 and has now blipped back up higher for the first time since right after release.

Lashley

(not mine)
wow_token.jpg

Blimey.

Token price bottomed out at 20,370 and has now blipped back up higher for the first time since right after release.

dk8cER5.gif

Did the math and I could sub to 2018 as well at the current price and still have an ample amount of gold left over. But it'd kind of be a waste, especially losing so much capital for any potential gold-making endeavors.

ZenaxPure

Looks like it went up again, might be balancing out finally? At least for now, honestly can't see it going back up to 30k anytime soon but who knows.

JSoup

Banned
dk8cER5.gif

Did the math and I could sub to 2018 as well at the current price and still have an ample amount of gold left over. But it'd kind of be a waste, especially losing so much capital for any potential gold-making endeavors.

Given that there are people out there who have enough gold to finance 10+ years of gameplay, I'd imagine a limit on how many tokens can be activated to an account will be instituted at some point. EVE had to do that when some guy tried to cash in all his currency for some absurdly huge amount of game time. Was rejected, or so I read, on the grounds that they couldn't see that far into the future to know if the game would even still be around at that time and they didn't want the liability.

Top Bottom