• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Looks like it went up again, might be balancing out finally? At least for now, honestly can't see it going back up to 30k anytime soon but who knows.

apparently there are 0 tokens for sale right now. back up to 21k. it'll keep rising until someone buys one and puts it in, maybe?

ZenaxPure

apparently there are 0 tokens for sale right now. back up to 21k. it'll keep rising until someone buys one and puts it in, maybe?

New ones are occasionally still getting put up. Once I saw the price start to rise I decided to buy a few more and did managed to get some, but, it took around half an hour or so of trying. Learned that it's actually possibly to lose out to someone else even after your gold is taken (it gets mailed back to you, but still, pretty weird).

But yeah, we're at the bottom of the barrel right now it seems.

davepoobond

New ones are occasionally still getting put up. Once I saw the price start to rise I decided to buy a few more and did managed to get some, but, it took around half an hour or so of trying. Learned that it's actually possibly to lose out to someone else even after your gold is taken (it gets mailed back to you, but still, pretty weird).

But yeah, we're at the bottom of the barrel right now it seems.

i actually just had that happen. so there must have been one i almost got. shucks.

Anyone in the same financial state where you have more than enough gold to get by but not enough to buy many tokens with?

Sure, about 40k on my main, about 20k on my primary alt, but that's symptomatic of being a casual player because I have a scarcity of time. I'm more likely to sell tokens for gold given I have much more USD than time for such pursuits, but personally I don't really like the incentivizations that creates in the marketplace, so I probably won't participate (the same reason I don't buy mounts with USD, even if I could afford it).

Been healing holy on my shadow priest main lately to try to get fast queues to round out my remaining non-BRF item, weapon. <3 Divine Hymn. Still no drops sadly.

Tacitus_

Whew, 5/10 in Mythic now. Once we got the first one down the rest have been falling pretty fast. Though I suspect that's about to slow down since we're now staring at Kromog and the only non end boss left is the train boss.

Anyone in the same financial state where you have more than enough gold to get by but not enough to buy many tokens with?

Yeah, I got 235k so I'll probably buy a few when they come available on EU but I doubt I'll go much below 200k.

StMeph

I doubt there are only 0 for sale. Most likely Blizzard isn't letting any on the market until the price goes back up to something they want.

While that's not impossible, it seems a bit tinfoil-y, and I'm not sure what the advantage of doing so is. There are other explanations as to why, but we won't know much until well after the fact to view these movements long-term as trends.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've got ~80k on my mage and a little over 100k on my paladin, and a bit under or over 5-8k gold on my other 6-7 lvl 90 alts. and don't even want to buy game tokens. :( Just saving gold to maybe buy expensive mounts. Is something wrong with me?

davepoobond

I doubt there are only 0 for sale. Most likely Blizzard isn't letting any on the market until the price goes back up to something they want.

Divine Hymn is amazing!

I don't think that is a very good policy from a service stand point. Also, the wowtoken info site was saying <30 min to sell

Acidote

I've got ~80k on my mage and a little over 100k on my paladin, and a bit under or over 5-8k gold on my other 6-7 lvl 90 alts. and don't even want to buy game tokens. :( Just saving gold to maybe buy expensive mounts. Is something wrong with me?

I'm on the other side. I have a lot of fancy mounts I would sell instantly if I could in exchange for game time.

davepoobond

Making sure that the gold price doesn't drop so low people buying the tokens stop thinking it's a good exchange/price for their gold.

Ah, if that's true, then I'd be wrong. I figured Blizzard was just protecting the interests of their paying customers/consumers-- the ones buying the tokens. In all honesty, why would Blizzard care about people playing the game that don't even pay a subscription fee anymore?

But, if people are already refusing to buy game tokens because the price of the gold is too low, and there's already a lack of people willing to pay $20 for 20k gold, we'll just have to wait for the price to adjust back up to a point.

Well, the automate market takes care of it. I don't think blizzard is manually doing anything. I think they are basically using the same formula/function from the diablo auction house for gold.

Wonder how high the price will have to go before people start selling tokens again. Seems like a lot of people were inspired to make gold, and less people were inspired to sell tokens. It could just be this forum/my friend circle though-- more serious players than not. (Though anecdotally my guild also has no token sellers and a lot of token buyers).

Guess Blizzard has to give us another gold sink now. Mounts, please.

*edit: On a totally more lame thought, it would be kinda cool to get enough data and actually figure out what the supply and demand curve is of the tokens.

Demand is pretty high right now to buy since everyone figures it'll just keep raising over time.

To sell, will depend what there is to actually spend gold on in the game. Chronically poor people in wow basically have never bought anything and can now be in the market for some stuff.

But there'll still be chronically poor who won't buy gold.

As far as the supply/demand curve you only really need to see the price influxes. That's basically the curve.

StMeph

I'm on the other side. I have a lot of fancy mounts I would sell instantly if I could in exchange for game time.

Nope. I represent a third faction, those torn between game time tokens and fancy mounts.

The fourth faction are those with near-limitless piles of gold and untold numbers of the mounts in question, for whom this is a trivial discussion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sure, about 40k on my main, about 20k on my primary alt

I don't get why people always list gold like this. You have 60k gold, it's not like you can't send it across characters, even if they're on different servers now it takes no time at all to move it from server to server.

davepoobond

I definitely vastly overestimated the amount of people selling tokens :x. I honestly thought there would be a LOT of them. I didn't play much Diablo, but from what I understand they were selling hard-to-get/time-consuming to farm items for real money. This is a little different... gold is easier to make. It's time consuming ish for some but not difficult for most.

I hope they don't use the same Diablo formula though, especially since it was a failure in the end.

They sold gold on the auction house, too, in a similar fashion. Eventually it became 25 cents to buy a million gold, etc. you are going in a roundabout way in wow, but it is still essentially 20 bucks = ? Gold. In diablo it was 1 mil gold (or whatever the number was) = ? Dollars. It is a lot more stable the way wow is doing it, but it is essentially an inverse of what diablo did for gold selling. Not talking about items at all.

& I mean, an aggregate supply & demand. It's too early right now to determine an accurate curve, especially because we haven't seen the other end of this problem (tokens being too expensive gold-wise).

Though, I assume the WoW team over at Blizzard has already had all of these hypotheticals and potential economic impacts drawn up. I wish there was so way to see those!

Sure, but that is probably just going to be kept secret since you can influence and/or manipulate the economy with that information since there isn't necessarily the same protections a normal financial market would have.

Tacitus_

Fancy mounts are overrated. You just need one to show off and one of those with vendors on them, the mammoth is just north of 10k.

/proud owner of an OG ZA bear

ZenaxPure

Fancy mounts are overrated. You just need one to show off and one of those with vendors on them, the mammoth is just north of 10k.

Gross, what am I some sort of plebeian? I don't even know where the transmog people are located in Draenor because I use my own transmog mount, I can't reach the transmog NPC from atop my yak and I won't bring myself down to that level to do so.

Whats the best mounts in everyones opinion?

In terms of looks and usefulness?

In terms of looks my favorite mounts might honestly be the Direhorn, they are mother fucking triceratops. I'm not even that big of a dinosaur person but triceratops are cool, especially when they appear to be made of stone.

Tacitus_

Gross, what am I some sort of plebeian? I don't even know where the transmog people are located in Draenor because I use my own transmog mount, I can't reach the transmog NPC from atop my yak and I won't bring myself down to that level to do so.

Bah, excuse me for being cheap.

I'm too cheap for vendor yak. Vendor mammoth all the way.
Though I might buy one sooner or later.

I usually ride around on one of my glorious tigers (ZG or Swift Spectral), though I would dearly like Invincible. Sometimes I rock the Iron Juggernaut too, but it can be a bit obnoxious and has collision troubles in certain areas.

As for flying mounts, I usually go for a CM phoenix or transform into Sandstone Drake.

Shahadan

Mounts are so boring. They were interesting years ago when there weren't hundreds of them. Now I couldn't care less about which one I use or could get by doing X.

The same is happening now with battle pets for me. It's a shame they were the last significant thing added to the game.

Fjordson

My favourite flying mount that I have is probably Mimiron's Head. The one I want the most that I don't have is the Astral cloud serpent.

Favourite ground mount I have is probably the cobalt direhorn from Oondasta. The one I want the most (that I'll never ever get) is the ZG tiger.

Ultratech

Whats the best mounts in everyones opinion?

In terms of looks and usefulness?

Usefulness: Vendor Mounts without a doubt. They pay for themselves after a while.

Looks: Hmm...hard to say.

I'll just list what I liked.

-Ground: Raven Lord, Blue Shado-Pan Riding Tiger, Armani War Bear, ZG Tiger, Spectral Tiger

-Flying: Grand Armored Wyvern (small profile, looks good), Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher (good DK-style mount), Armored Skyscreamer (very unique; plus it's a goddamn Pterodactyl), Firehawks, Dread Raven

I really liked using the Grand Armored Wyvern and Skyscreamer on my Hunter.
Icebound Frostbrood Vanquisher is an awesome mount (especially if you're a DK).

ZenaxPure

Just chosen Mining and Herbalism for my main. Poor choice?

Mostly just pointless. The garrison mine and herb garden can cover the general needs of most people. Ore and herbs do still sell they are just incredibly cheap, on my server most herbs and blackrock ore is ~1g per herb/ore and true iron ore is like 1g 50s per ore. Not very much gold for how much time you have to spend farming them, especially considering you can't fly anymore so it's more time consuming just in gathering.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mostly just pointless. The garrison mine and herb garden can cover the general needs of most people. Ore and herbs do still sell they are just incredibly cheap, on my server most herbs and blackrock ore is ~1g per herb/ore and true iron ore is like 1g 50s per ore. Not very much gold for how much time you have to spend farming them, especially considering you can't fly anymore so it's more time consuming just in gathering.

Hmm, just seemed handy after watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ItjvUZGIk&index=20&list=PL7W5-u3Vdf2LStW5YJJ_UyzynhKB9L2ss

Double mats etc,

might change to a creating profession like blacksmithing or alchemy

Can you get ores from garrison to level from 1? or is it just for wod recipes?

Peachpies

Hmm, just seemed handy after watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ItjvUZGIk&index=20&list=PL7W5-u3Vdf2LStW5YJJ_UyzynhKB9L2ss

Double mats etc,

might change to a creating profession like blacksmithing or alchemy

Can you get ores from garrison to level from 1? or is it just for wod recipes?
it is just the daenor ores but you can use them to level blacksmithing from 1, also having a garrison resource generating building for your first medium building is a good idea

Lashley

it is just the daenor ores but you can use them to level blacksmithing from 1, also having a garrison resource generating building for your first medium building is a good idea

Changed Mining to Inscription. Next I want Enchanting or JC.

Also, I chose Inn and Enchanters Study for my buildings. I have the mine unlocked though, is that what you mean? Im still a massive noob, sorry.

Peachpies

Changed Mining to Inscription. Next I want Enchanting or JC.

Also, I chose Inn and Enchanters Study for my buildings. I have the mine unlocked though, is that what you mean? Im still a massive noob, sorry.
there are two medium buildings, trading post and lumber mill that let you make work orders that give garrison resources, trading post takes a different crafting mat each day and the lumber mill takes lumber from trees you can chop down around draenor.

ZenaxPure

A garrison resource generating building is something like the trading post or the lumber mill. What a lot of people have forgotten by now is that early on you will have horrible garrison resource problems. The level 3 garrison costs 2000 resources which you are not likely to have by level 100 unless you don't play very much. Upgrading all your buildings to level 3 will also take a lot of resources.

They are very useful buildings in the begining but lose their usefulness as time goes on. The trading post has other uses but the lumber mill has a very short useful life.

That video was posted before the expansion even came out, I don't think that guy was very good at predicting what would happen on live servers. The thing is since crafting professions are time gated a level 3 mine and herb garden blow past the pitifully small number of herb/ore you need in the "cross over." Alchemy for example takes 10 blackrock ore per day, you get probably 100 or so a day from a level 3 garrison mine.

I have every single profession at max and run them all and 1 single herb garden covers all of my herb needs. Non-alch/inscription professions don't need that many herbs as mentioned above and a max level alchemist doesn't have much use for herbs either if we're being honest. Most of my herbs go to inscription but I still always have more than I can use at any given time.

Ore is the only time you will run into trouble, if you have an engineer, blacksmith, and JC a single mine can not produce enough ore for your daily needs, but, given that implies you have multiple characters it means you have access to more than 1 mine, so problem solved.

Lashley

Thanks for your help guys.

So a trading post would be useful? Should I get rid of my Enchanters Study since I'll need a Salvage Yard too?

ZenaxPure

Thanks for your help guys.

So a trading post would be useful? Should I get rid of my Enchanters Study since I'll need a Salvage Yard too?

Just don't worry about it for now, getting to level 100 and getting a level 3 garrison should be your main goal. Level 3 garrison gives you extra building plots.

Salvage yard isn't even that useful until you get a level 3 one which is not possible until you get a level 3 garrison.

Rapstah

The big Darkmoon race with the slow strider is the hardest thing I've ever done in WoW. Had to glitch my way up a mountain and wait until the RNG of where the enemies were and what the powerups were lined up to a good run, and then I got to the goal with maybe a second to spare.

And then the achievement item has 50 charges and is worthless. What?

Lashley

Just don't worry about it for now, getting to level 100 and getting a level 3 garrison should be your main goal. Level 3 garrison gives you extra building plots.

Salvage yard isn't even that useful until you get a level 3 one which is not possible until you get a level 3 garrison.

Ah okay, Enchanters Study has been helpful for disenchanting my soulbound outdated armor in my bags, should I use that to put a work order in or keep the dust?

Profs are Inscription and JC.

ZenaxPure

Ah okay, Enchanters Study has been helpful for disenchanting my soulbound outdated armor in my bags, should I use that to put a work order in or keep the dust?

If you don't have enchanting dust is pointless for you. Either sell it on the AH or do the work orders and sell the crystals you get from it. No idea which of the 2 is worth more, you'd have to check your AH.

Lashley

If you don't have enchanting dust is pointless for you. Either sell it on the AH or do the work orders and sell the crystals you get from it. No idea which of the 2 is worth more, you'd have to check your AH.

The dust is worth more on my server

ZenaxPure

salvage yard will be very useful for getting followers item level up once they are max level

I mean I'd say the salvage yard is the most useful building, it turns XP only follower missions into something that usually rewards 20-40g at a minimum and can obviously reward far more if RNG is on your side.

Problem is you don't start getting good stuff from it until it is level 3 which you can't even get until your garrison is level 3.

Lashley

I mainly want my garrison(s) to provide good amounts of gold as well as make my professions easier to make....more amounts of gold :p

I mainly want my garrison(s) to provide good amounts of gold as well as make my professions easier to make....more amounts of gold :p

All you need for that is the salvage yard, your profession building and your inn, and even then only long enough to have a decent stable of treasure hunter followers. 3 of those on a 200g mission is 800g.

Lashley

All you need for that is the salvage yard, your profession building and your inn, and even then only long enough to have a decent stable of treasure hunter followers. 3 of those on a 200g mission is 800g.

Oh, excellent :)

Made an enchanting building to disenchant loot but my profs are inscription and JC, should I remove and get buildings for those?

ZenaxPure

Oh, excellent :)

Made an enchanting building to disenchant loot but my profs are inscription and JC, should I remove and get buildings for those?

If you are going to actually stick with JC/inscription your small buildings should be the salvage yard and your 2 profession buildings. The way crafting professions are structured this expansion make them utterly useless if you don't have their corresponding garrison building.

The enchanting building is a nice quality of life thing, but, you can pretty easily open the LFG tool and find someone who has one in their own garrison and use theirs.

Top Bottom