• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ZenaxPure

I haven't heard of anything to that effect, no.

We talked about it in this very thread the other day, but, yeah XP values are really weird now. Until a quest turns green it is going to give fairly similar XP to a quest in a higher level zone. Green/gray stuff is going to give shit XP though, like huge shit. This is for pre Warlords stuff though, WoD questing has higher jumps between zones (though not as high as previous expansions have had).

I want Timewalking Challenge Mode sort of stuff... gimme Vanilla/BC/WotLK Challenge Mode seasons. With revamped HD versions of old school gear sets and weapons as the rewards... yum.

I think stuff like this would be cool but it would be soooo far away. If there is a next step to timewalking dungeons it would be just getting more of them into the game. Heck they still have yet to come up with a compelling reward system for them. Old items scaling to a higher ilvl is neat but unless they increased the ilvl each patch those dungeons suddenly lose their appeal outside of a novelty factor. Hate to beat old drums but something something Justice/Valor points.

I'm sure character models took a lot of time/resources, just like rebuilding Azeroth did in Cata.

Don't forget garrisons. Garrisons aren't updating old models but if we're talking about taking the art team away from new stuff like mounts and dungeons/raids/zones that is certainly a culprit you should be looking at. Still stand by my previous opinion of T2 garrison art being a fat waste of resources that could have gone somewhere else.

Hey guys, remember when Thrall killed Deathwing? And remember when he came back to Orgrimmar and helped defeat the guy he left in charge? And remember when that guy got away so we all went with Thrall back in time and met Thrall's dad and Thrall killed that guy because Thrall is kewl?

Well prepare for all the Thrall you can ThrallyThrallThrall in the next expansion, World of Warcraft: All Are Thrall.

CassSept

Hey guys, remember when Thrall killed Deathwing? And remember when he came back to Orgrimmar and helped defeat the guy he left in charge? And remember when that guy got away so we all went with Thrall back in time and met Thrall's dad and Thrall killed that guy because Thrall is kewl?

Well prepare for all the Thrall you can ThrallyThrallThrall in the next expansion, World of Warcraft: All Are Thrall.

Honestly, the less Thrall there is in the ongoing storyline the better I like WoW. He was mostly put on backburner for majority of MoP and I loved that expansions story-wise.

Nokterian

It's still my most played MMO ever..i still like the game but the more i think of it..the more i am disappointed on how this expansion is going and for what it is. MoP did great things and i had a lot of fun with it they were going in good direction but with WoD? It just went to me all wrong.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Honestly, the less Thrall there is in the ongoing storyline the better I like WoW. He was mostly put on backburner for majority of MoP and I loved that expansions story-wise.

But everyone shits on it so of course blizzard thinks the remedy is to bring thrall back

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

We barely kill anyone, some NPC always takes credit.

Maiev and Akama killed Illidan. Kalecgos and his Sunwell Girlfriend "killed" Kil'jaeden. Tirion Fordring killed the Lich King/Arthas. Thrall killed Deathwing, Thrall defeated Garrosh, Thrall killed Garrosh. I'm pretty sure whenever Gul'dan goes down that Khadgar's gonna take credit.

Shahadan

It's easy to know when we really kill someone. They always come back.

We totally killed Kael'Thas, Anub'arak, Nefarian, Onyxia and Hogger!

ZenaxPure

Anyone shitting on the MoP story didn't play MoP and just saw Kung Fu Panda.

My favorite irony of the main MoP storyline is that the Pandaren actually had little to do with it. They were mostly just used as the device to start shit between the two factions as we slowly destroyed their land with our politics.

And that all was on top of the other storylines they actually managed to string together across the entire expansion (Klaxxi old god story, Mogu/Zandalari story, Wrathion's mysterious burning legion preparation) and the entire histories of all of the new races... God it was so fantastic.

My actual main takeaway from MoP is that they could probably do something awesome story-wise with a fresh slate. I would love a new expansion on an undiscovered continent (or better yet planet) where all the lore was 100% new. As great as the MoP stuff was (and I did absolutely love it to death) they still placed it inside established lore instead of it being entirely fresh.

davepoobond

Well they stated they're gonna do new continents only from now on, so the next expansion being something other than Northrend would have to be completely new.

I guess it could be Emerald Dream, but there's plenty of other planets to go to.

So I got the bug to do gold Proving Grounds today. Took me four tries to feel exactly where I should be saving my cooldowns along with managing my focus but I got it done. Mini-accomplishment for today.

Kinda nice to see people thinking about Pandaria positively now. Towards the end there people were so done with it I heard nothing but complaining. I still like going back in there though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Anyone shitting on the MoP story didn't play MoP and just saw Kung Fu Panda.

I payed attention to the story.

It was pretty shitty, nothing of consequence came from it. Titan artifacts and world killers and world makers and dead old god whatever oh well, hey look Garrosh is evil now go get him. Don't forget about Mr. Mystery Wrathion who wants to play both sides for the greater good and he's pretty important he's giving you a lot of legendary powerful shit and oh well he's gone.

Biggest let down of ever.

ZenaxPure

Kinda nice to see people thinking about Pandaria positively now. Towards the end there people were so done with it I heard nothing but complaining. I still like going back in there though.

Loved it to death at the time as you could see in the original MoP thread where I was top poster :p but...

They dropped the ball pretty heavily at the end with no updates. I mean we've all come to expect that now but they were actually doing a good job for the first year with content updates. 4 pretty beefy patches in less than one year was awesome after coming from Cata. Made the year that followed extra depressing.

JSoup

Banned
We barely kill anyone, some NPC always takes credit.

Maiev and Akama killed Illidan. Kalecgos and his Sunwell Girlfriend "killed" Kil'jaeden. Tirion Fordring killed the Lich King/Arthas. Thrall killed Deathwing, Thrall defeated Garrosh, Thrall killed Garrosh. I'm pretty sure whenever Gul'dan goes down that Khadgar's gonna take credit.

Didn't we kill Illidan and Arthas? Running it solo, the action gets stopped in each fight when they are at %1 for story, then I have to finish them off.

eRpELnF.png

dead

Dinged 100 on my Monk. Total time played: 2 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes. Came from behind to usurp all my other 90somes as my 3rd max level character this expac.

Ridiculously starved for Garrison Resources though because unlike my other characters, she hasn't been passively building them up for months.

Purdy

Finally got my garrison to level 3. Could anyone link me with the best method for milking money from it?

Was going to follow this advice

This is my routine for all new 100s:
2x profession buildings to level 3.
Salvage yard to level 3 for salvage & upgrades.
Inn to level 3, recruit 1x treasure hunter every week, and get the gold missions going.
Barracks to level 3 for 25 followers (this can come later if you don't have the resources right now).
Bunker to level 2 for follower upgrades.
Do the Harrison Jones dailies ASAP, and get him to 675 immediately.
Use Harrison to power level treasure hunter followers as quickly as possible.
This takes a while, but you start churning out those gold missions like crazy.

Should I be sending all my dudes on missions as soon as I have them free or be banking my resources?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Add to that a war mill for flower upgrades but that is all sound advice. Is say right off the bat work on getting your followers max level. They won't really be much help until they are with gaining gold. If you don't have a ton of garrison resources you may want to alternate between treasure hunters and scavengers each week from the inn.

I would bank all your bop profession mats for the next patch. Save your gold up for felblight.

Purdy

Add to that a war mill for flower upgrades but that is all sound advice. Is say right off the bat work on getting your followers max level. They won't really be much help until they are with gaining gold. If you don't have a ton of garrison resources you may want to alternate between treasure hunters and scavengers each week from the inn.

I would bank all your bop profession mats for the next patch. Save your gold up for felblight.

I've got 200k banked from wotlk but can imagine it'll go quick upgrading several garrisons + heirlooms :(, think I'll try get 4 100s to do this with as I'm surprisingly enjoying the levelling, goes ridiculously quick.

Cheers for the advice, what are the bop profession mats going to do next patch?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I've got 200k banked from wotlk but can imagine it'll go quick upgrading several garrisons + heirlooms :(, think I'll try get 4 100s to do this with as I'm surprisingly enjoying the levelling, goes ridiculously quick.

Cheers for the advice, what are the bop profession mats going to do next patch?

You can create upgrades for crafted gear with them, so you want to save the BoP mats until 6.2 when a new crafted update comes out.

Everyone will be using them to make their existing items, and new items, higher ilevel.

StMeph

I've got 200k banked from wotlk but can imagine it'll go quick upgrading several garrisons + heirlooms

Garrisons should only take about 20-25k to get fully loaded. 15k for bare-bones essentials to make gold.

Heirlooms are more of a sink if you want to upgrade them all to go from 1-100, but that's extremely unnecessary as you can get better-than-heirloom weapons from crafting equippable at level 91.

iirate

Finally got my garrison to level 3. Could anyone link me with the best method for milking money from it?

Was going to follow this advice

Should I be sending all my dudes on missions as soon as I have them free or be banking my resources?

Rushing that many buildings to 3 is only really viable if you're taking your time leveling and thus have a lot of garrison resources saved up. Here's my personal build order:

- Upgrade your garrison to level 2.
- Build an inn and level it to 2. Do this by the next Tuesday's reset, but other buildings can take priority until then. If you need a garrison resource boost and have gold to spare, consider making a Lumber Mill and keeping it active while leveling until you need to make the Inn. Once you have your level 2 inn active, recruit a follower with the Treasure Hunter trait.
- Replace your barracks with a bunker/mill, upgrade it to level 2, and start work orders for follower gear/upgrades.
- Upgrade your mine and/or herb garden to level 2, depending on your profession needs. If you have gold and don't mind buying these reagents for a while, you can skip this.
- Build your two profession buildings, upgrade them to level 2, and assign followers to each.

after 100:
- Upgrade your garrison to level 3.
- Build a salvage yard and upgrade it to level 3.
- Build a barracks and upgrade it to level 3.
- Build a trading post or lumber mill if you need garrison resources(unless you took your time leveling, you will). If you're on a character with 2k+ resources banked at this point and are looking to craft gear, you should make a barn(and upgrade it to 3) instead.
- upgrade the rest of your garrison at your leisure.

All of the stuff with getting Harrison ASAP and using him to level everyone else still applies. I recommend the garrison xp potions while leveling - 100 resources per isn't much, and they make an already quick process much quicker. I normally rush out the questline in Frostfire/Shadowmoon for a level 2 garrison, then go to Gorgrond and do everything there, then get my building guides in Talador, Spires, and Nagrand, and finally do my salvage yard questline in Spires. If you're doing a good job of collecting treasure along the way, you'll be nearly 100 by that point.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Inscription is going to be huge again. Everyone has the trinkets. As for a secondary profession I can't really say. Most of my alts have inscription or alchemy.

Id be making savage blood transmutes but older expac transmutes still sell for more on my server.

On a side note the gamble on sealed tomes is paying off, sold one for three times what I bought it for. Up to 500k now! Crossed over 11,000 primal spirits and 1000 savage blood. I'm running out of room for all this.

ZenaxPure

Boomkin might be the most OP shit ever for Warlords questing in full heirlooms + a crafted weapon (especially if you've upgraded said weapon past level 1). Like god, me and a friend were leveling together last night and levels 92-96 only took about 10 minutes per level. You can walk into Gorgrond bonus objectives hit starfall and be done with the objective in literally ~1 minute. Combine that with picking up most of the elite monster quest turn ins and the sparring arena quest pick ups and it just adds to the insanity. I've leveled a lot of dudes through WoD content now but that was the craziest thing I've experienced so far.

Purdy

Garrisons should only take about 20-25k to get fully loaded. 15k for bare-bones essentials to make gold.

Heirlooms are more of a sink if you want to upgrade them all to go from 1-100, but that's extremely unnecessary as you can get better-than-heirloom weapons from crafting equippable at level 91.

Rushing that many buildings to 3 is only really viable if you're taking your time leveling and thus have a lot of garrison resources saved up. Here's my personal build order:

- Upgrade your garrison to level 2.
- Build an inn and level it to 2. Do this by the next Tuesday's reset, but other buildings can take priority until then. If you need a garrison resource boost and have gold to spare, consider making a Lumber Mill and keeping it active while leveling until you need to make the Inn. Once you have your level 2 inn active, recruit a follower with the Treasure Hunter trait.
- Replace your barracks with a bunker/mill, upgrade it to level 2, and start work orders for follower gear/upgrades.
- Upgrade your mine and/or herb garden to level 2, depending on your profession needs. If you have gold and don't mind buying these reagents for a while, you can skip this.
- Build your two profession buildings, upgrade them to level 2, and assign followers to each.

after 100:
- Upgrade your garrison to level 3.
- Build a salvage yard and upgrade it to level 3.
- Build a barracks and upgrade it to level 3.
- Build a trading post or lumber mill if you need garrison resources(unless you took your time leveling, you will). If you're on a character with 2k+ resources banked at this point and are looking to craft gear, you should make a barn(and upgrade it to 3) instead.
- upgrade the rest of your garrison at your leisure.

All of the stuff with getting Harrison ASAP and using him to level everyone else still applies. I recommend the garrison xp potions while leveling - 100 resources per isn't much, and they make an already quick process much quicker. I normally rush out the questline in Frostfire/Shadowmoon for a level 2 garrison, then go to Gorgrond and do everything there, then get my building guides in Talador, Spires, and Nagrand, and finally do my salvage yard questline in Spires. If you're doing a good job of collecting treasure along the way, you'll be nearly 100 by that point.

Cheers guys :)

Think I'll get my other three 90s to the point their garrisons have trade post and basic resource collect so its happening even though I'm not playing them

lazygecko

It helps a lot if you get followers with the scavenger trait. You don't need to waste your weekly inn recruit on that. Just keep leveling followers like normal and you're bound to get a few with the scavenger trait. You can use those on resource missions and then reroll their traits once you're no longer spending a lot of resources.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I can fulfill almost every treasure hunter mission with time to spare at seven treasure hunters. I think I'll be stopping at ten. I just feel that scavengers benefit you quite a good deal with the barn rush orders. That's a lot of gold you're leaving on the table.

I only send people on missions two or three times a day and I have more than enough to not have a scavenger or treasure mission expire.

Plus, despite having nearly 10k garrison resources when they hit 100, most of my alts struggled for a week or two with having enough resources to dump into the war mill and send followers out on missions.

Just some food for thought.

Robin64

So no flying ever again?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/22/8645293/world-of-warcraft-no-flying-tanaan-jungle-warlords-of-draenor-mmo-pc-blizzard

Originally, Blizzard took out flying in Warlords of Draenor as an experiment, and Hazzikostas says he would have bet "slightly better than even money at the time" that they were going to bring it back eventually. But as they played the expansion and watched others play it, they discovered that they liked the game better without flying.

"The world feels larger, feels more dangerous," he says. "There's more room for exploration, for secrets, for discovery and overall immersion in the world. At this point, we feel that outdoor gameplay in World of Warcraft is ultimately better without flying. We're not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor, and that's kind of where we're at going forward."

Hazziokostas confirms that this direction includes future expansions, though he doesn't discount the possibility of adding flight options in to specific expansion ideas or zones that would benefit from it. In general, though, he believes that exploration in Blizzard's massive world "works better and feels better in our view when you're doing it from the ground."

Dot50Cal

Banned
That's really surprising. I wonder if they will add it in for Draenor once the expansion is finished... Kind of sucks how all the flying mounts look so bad on the ground.

davepoobond

I still think they should add it after the expansion is done, but if they're doing that as a policy going forward they really have to make flying mounts worth being called "flying" and give us places where we can fly still. If a zone is like storm peaks it would work well

EmiPrime

Flying mounts should have just been an Outland thing, I respect what they did with WOD although it's slightly meaningless given I can just stay parked in my garrison all the time, queueing for things.

Robin64

Yeah, the Garrisons setup and the no-flying thing seem at odds with each other when you think about it. Sure, the questing experience was nice on the ground, but having you unlock flying at 100 wouldn't really change anything from how it is now.

(Don't kill me anyone but it'd be so cool to have Minecraft or Pokemon housing like features added into your Garrison. I want to decorate!)

And why not? FFXIV does this wonderfully.

ffxiv-chamber-epl-701.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, the Garrisons setup and the no-flying thing seem at odds with each other when you think about it. Sure, the questing experience was nice on the ground, but having you unlock flying at 100 wouldn't really change anything from how it is now.

And why not? FFXIV does this wonderfully.

ffxiv-chamber-epl-701.jpg

Because apparently WoW has a 20 person team and if it's losing something like a raid or a new quest hub or a class quest for barbie dream house? No thanks

davepoobond

Pretty sure we aren't getting garrisons next expansion, they went too far with them design-wise.

I think we will have to see something small, contained, and public like a boat you travel around on or something.

JSoup

Banned
And why not? FFXIV does this wonderfully.]

Because the WoW team thinks people don't want customization player housing despite it being something people have been asking for since day one of year one. I love when they point out that player don't want it, then claim to be watching what other MMOs are doing, when the other major MMOs out there all have it.

Fjordson

I like the no flying thing. I mean the presence of flying didn't really bother me, and being able to get around like that made for some pretty amazing zones visually (some of the revamped old world zones, Northrend, etc.) but I think WoD benefited from staying on the ground.

Robin64

At least they let us choose racial banners for our garrisons!

Though as a blood elf I pick those and the one to the right of the town hall hut clips into the guy standing there. So annoying.

ZenaxPure

What a load of crap. I fail to see how the outdoor content of Draenor can be better when there isn't any to begin with. Unless for some reason he is talking about those "treasures" all around the world. You know the ones that I got the first week of the expansion and then that was it. Most people don't care about the lack of flying in Draenor because there is nothing worth going to outside your Garrison anyhow.

That said I have no problem being stuck on the ground really, but only when the content is relevant. I think how it was handled in Mists was the perfect balance myself, have flying enabled on the leveling zones when you hit max level and then any new zones added (like Isle of Thunder, Giants, and Timeless) disable flying on those.

Also if they are hell bent on that path at least have the courtesy to turn flight points into outright teleports. There is nothing more boring in the game than sitting on a flight point for minutes at a time unable to do anything. Flight points are the literal opposite of immersive and exploration based gameplay.

Top Bottom