• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Entropia

No One Remembers
One thing that bothers me about WoD is that Draenor doesn't feel like a full planet. I always feel like we're on a continent of Draenor (i.e. Kalimdor, Northrend, or Eastern Kingdoms). It just feels like there should be a whole other part of Draenor to explore with its own dungeons, races, threats, story, etc.

Outlands I can put a pass on because the world had 'blown apart' and we were only on that part of the worlds.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
One thing that bothers me about WoD is that Draenor doesn't feel like a full planet. I always feel like we're on a continent of Draenor (i.e. Kalimdor, Northrend, or Eastern Kingdoms). It just feels like there should be a whole other part of Draenor to explore with its own dungeons, races, threats, story, etc.

Outlands I can put a pass on because the world had 'blown apart' and we were only on that part of the worlds.

M96r0NT.jpg

You can see a continent to the south, the ogre-continent apparently.

This is why I'm betting the next expac will be a new continent on Draenor. Maybe fighting the burning legion that now has a presence there or something. Maybe they decimate draenor or something ala-cataclysm, I don't know.

I just don't know where else they could stick a continent.

axw8MF1.jpg

Its fun to see how different the game is from concept to completion just by the little clues they give and trying to extrapolate from that. (Yeah why is GORgrond an orc territory? This map makes much more sense, the ogres control a place called GORgrond, and the orcs have the volcanic desert Ashrand)

Looks like originally you didn't even get there through the portal, you got there through the Chronal Spire, and Shattrath was a raid. I wonder how far into design the Shatt raid got. As of now I don't even know why Shatt is in the game, it would've been a lot better if it was actually destroyed by the Iron Horde and Auchindoun was the only thing left or something.

I've taken breaks from WoW, long ones, before but it's always been a 'WoW isn't for me right now.' Like I just needed some time off. I skipped a lot of WOTLK, all of cata, and most of MoP(Well if you count by content and not by actual months...) but this hiatus has been different because it's been me directly thinking, 'I'll wait til the next expansion. Maybe. I hope they turn it around.' Rather than just not feeling like playing. It's been the first time I've seriously looked at other MMOs as well. Beyond just trials. This hasn't been 'I need a break' and more 'I don't think they make this game for me anymore.'

I'm largely in the same boat and simply haven't enjoyed this latest expansion. The one difference is I have taken the step to try out other MMOs and plan to keep sampling what's out there. And it's dangerous! I've found that I really like what others are doing and wish a lot of things would be changed about WoW after experiencing them in other games.

The one thing that I could see bringing me back to WoW with the next expansion (since I highly doubt I'll bother returning at all until at least the next expansion is out) is that I still think combat is best in WoW compared to the two games I've switched over to: Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV. It simply feels quicker, snappier, and I generally feel more powerful with options and survivability. I still enjoy the other MMOs (and have downloaded Rift and Tera to see how I feel about those) but I have enjoyed WoW combat the most.

I think I'm ready for World of Warcraft 2.

Renekton

They basically spent too much time remaking WoD, clearing it and starting over basically from scratch it seems like. IIRC It was...Shadowmoon or gorgrond that got almost 95% scrapped like 5-6 months out from launch like Jade forest did in MoP.

Fuckers need to get their act together already, or at least stop rushing shit out the door if they can't make stuff in a timely manner. SoO was going on for too long, but the cost was not worth it if it means WoD will be even worse.
That is expecting Blizzard to not be Blizzard lol. They are the very last "when it is done" company since Carmack left Id Software. I don't see them compromising from their policy to reiterate every slice of content till worthy of release, or scrap completely.

Hazzikostas interview all-but-confirmed that they cannot satisfy year-round content consumption rate anymore. They have accepted that we will unsub, play other games, then hope we check back in later when there is enough new content in place.

The saddest thing is they probably see certain stats like "high level of engagement!" and "more frequent logins" with garrisons and other shit and take that verbatim, but just because people do something, doesn't mean it's GOOD content if it's compulsory...or if it's the only "content" there.

And I maintain that I wouldn't be playing right now if not for the token, and I'm still thinking about not playing anyway despite not having to fork over $15 each month. Could be spending the time doing other things. (Right now I'm just farming mounts and leveling alts, really.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's another thing. I can play WoW right now without paying real money. I have plenty of gold to be able to afford it.

I have not bought a single token. I have been unsubbed for basically 3(?) months now.

Savitar

It is amazing how hyped and excited people were for WoD, when it came out people were so happy. So many believed it was a return to form, that the WoW experience was back and singing it's praises. It didn't seem like until some time after people were doing raids in High Maul that the shine began to wear off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is amazing how hyped and excited people were for WoD, when it came out people were so happy. So many believed it was a return to form, that the WoW experience was back and singing it's praises. It didn't seem like until some time after people were doing raids in High Maul that the shine began to wear off.

The idea behind it is great. The leveling is great, the questing is great. Everything that matters in that first month is great. It's the end-game that is the issue. And you'd think Blizzard of all people would realize that that's the most important thing. It's like an expansion pack that was meant to be played for a month and that's it. Like it were a regular game.

Renekton

Highmaul and BRF were nicely polished, but I think the repeated grinding for stones eroded our perception of them. Damn legendary ring quest.

Savitar

The items for the ring and the fact people felt like garrisons became so much work seems to be two of the biggest issues that pushed some over yeah. Even while raiding there were people who didn't have the rings fully done as far as they can currently go. And as for garrisons, who hasn't seen people complain about not having a level three one. Yeah some people really don't have them maxed yet. And those who have alts, they sort of....imploded on doing all the garrisons until they began to cut back on mines or garden etc.

Too much for some.

Though will add, people just don't appear to have the patience they once did. Everyone is in such a rush nowadays, they complain about how long things take, how flight paths are, about trash. A lot of stuff that honestly, is part of the MMO dna. Blizzard has done a lot to cut down on a lot of the grind and stream lined things greatly but it still appears to be not enough for some.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Highmaul and BRF were nicely polished, but I think the repeated grinding for stones eroded our perception of them. Damn legendary ring quest.

Agreed, Highmaul especially felt well done. The final boss in BRF could have used some work, it felt a bit too technical and not natural enough if you get what I'm saying.

ZenaxPure

It's confused me a lot to be honest. I did not keep up with the development of WoD at all so when I came back to the game about a month before WoD came out and started reading around about what was going to be in the expansion I started to have a lot of fears, all of which ended up turning out to be true. Maybe people like to go in blind, I dunno, but all of the problems seemed really obvious if you just read expansion summaries on sites like MMOC or WoWhead.

Even going back and looking at blizzcon slides for Warlords most of their focus was on garrisons and one time events like treasures, the new shittier rare spawn system, and gearing through stuff like epic quest upgrades. There was basically no talk about what you would actually be doing at level 100 which is crazy considering that is where you spend 99.9% of your time in an expansion.

lazygecko

The saddest thing is they probably see certain stats like "high level of engagement!" and "more frequent logins" with garrisons and other shit and take that verbatim, but just because people do something, doesn't mean it's GOOD content if it's compulsory...or if it's the only "content" there.

And I maintain that I wouldn't be playing right now if not for the token, and I'm still thinking about not playing anyway despite not having to fork over $15 each month. Could be spending the time doing other things. (Right now I'm just farming mounts and leveling alts, really.)

I think the same sort of misguided logic was applied to raiding throughout the years. First they saw that hardly anyone experienced the highest tier raid content, and their solution to that was to not just make raiding more accessible but also actively herd the playerbase towards the latest raid content, without ever asking themselves if this is what people really wanted to do in the first place.

Guys should I always do all the possible garrison missions? Even low lvl ones or should I just the ones giving me money-items?
I have like 3-4 low lvl guys but get like 10 exp missions ranging from 700-1500 exp so worthless basically. But should I do them as well in order to get some higher lvl missions or it doesn't matter and game just gives me same number of lucrative and worthless missions all the time :)

lazygecko

Can you still earn Abrogator Stones from LFR even if you've cleared the raids for that week?

Guys should I always do all the possible garrison missions? Even low lvl ones or should I just the ones giving me money-items?
I have like 3-4 low lvl guys but get like 10 exp missions ranging from 700-1500 exp so worthless basically. But should I do them as well in order to get some higher lvl missions or it doesn't matter and game just gives me same number of lucrative and worthless missions all the time :)

It's always worth doing missions with no displayed rewards if you have a salvage yard because there's always chance for salvage. Especially the high-to-max level missions with exp rewards you can keep on doing even after maxing all your followers so you get a steady supply of big salvage crates.

It's always worth doing missions with no displayed rewards if you have a salvage yard because there's always chance for salvage. Especially the high-to-max level missions with exp rewards you can keep on doing even after maxing all your followers so you get a steady supply of big salvage crates.
Didn't know about salvage yard and chance to get salvage

What can I do with salvage? I thought it was just for building stuff, anything else I missed (I'm very casual player so I don't know much)

lazygecko

Salvage are packages containing random loot. Level 1 and 2 salvage yards will mostly just yield grey items that you can vendor for gold. Level 3 salvage yard gives you big crates that can also contain gear of any quality and level range, profession mats, or item level upgrades for your followers.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
When do auctions on the BMAH end? I have been checking for a tabard of flame for a long time to complete my rogues transmog. It finally appeared today, but I am unsure on the best strategy to win it. It is at "very long" right now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
To be fair I really enjoyed the first year of the expansion with the leveling and garrison stuff initially.

I think what bit them in the ass is they created a whole zone just for the leveling experience, and then have to remake it again almost entirely, so I'm sure they are wasting a lot of time with that process.

I'm not sure why they are expecting 6.2 to last another year, and I'm not completely convinced the character models took away from raids, if it did that is kind of sad that they can't do general improvements to the game while still making content at a normal speed after 10 years. Something is off with the game's planning especially when they keep touting that pie in the sky of yearly expansions, which is asinine because they can barely make a good patch cycle for the last year of the last 3 expansions.

davepoobond

Wait, they're expecting 6.2 to last another year?

They're not going to release an expansion this year, they haven't even announced it yet. Typically it comes the year after they announce it.

6.2 is already preloading so it probably comes out in the next month

And they usually release in the last part of the year, so if they did a summer release or even a winter release it would still be like 7 to 8 months at best

royalan

They're not going to release an expansion this year, they haven't even announced it yet. Typically it comes the year after they announce it.

6.2 is already preloading so it probably comes out in the next month

And they usually release in the last part of the year, so if they did a summer release or even a winter release it would still be like 7 to 8 months at best

I don't do PTR, so this is just based on what I've read, but isn't 6.2 basically just more raid content? That's the impression I'm getting.

Fuck, Blizzard really doesn't seem to give a fuck about players who don't raid. :(

CassSept

I was one of the few who didn't like it right from the reveal but even I didn't expect it to be that bad. Leveling was fantastic and gave me hope but beyond that it's a misfire.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It's confused me a lot to be honest. I did not keep up with the development of WoD at all so when I came back to the game about a month before WoD came out and started reading around about what was going to be in the expansion I started to have a lot of fears, all of which ended up turning out to be true. Maybe people like to go in blind, I dunno, but all of the problems seemed really obvious if you just read expansion summaries on sites like MMOC or WoWhead.

Even going back and looking at blizzcon slides for Warlords most of their focus was on garrisons and one time events like treasures, the new shittier rare spawn system, and gearing through stuff like epic quest upgrades. There was basically no talk about what you would actually be doing at level 100 which is crazy considering that is where you spend 99.9% of your time in an expansion.

That probably makes sense. We were all too infatuated with the Timeless Isle which was also designed like Draenor, so we imagined that but bigger.

Too bad timeless isle had reasons to do things every day at least.

I don't do PTR, so this is just based on what I've read, but isn't 6.2 basically just more raid content? That's the impression I'm getting.

Fuck, Blizzard really doesn't seem to give a fuck about players who don't raid. :(

It's not just the raid, there's a bunch of other stuff to do in Tanaan.

Whether it'll last long or be fun to do I don't know, but it's not just a raid portal or something so dramatic.

EmiPrime

Wish they'd increase the number of legendary items dropping from bosses. I still need another 400+ runes but I don't need any gear from BRF. It's a total slog, I have to force myself to do LFR when I would rather do dungeons when I have time to play.

davepoobond

That's about half of it. The other half is Tanaan as a new zone, which from what I know about it doesn't seem like its going to keep interest for as long as they are hoping. It'll be fun for 3 months maybe, but then you have another 6+ months

Robin64

Tanaan will last at least 8 weeks, I guess, as that's how long they're stretching out the new Garrison campaign for.

Next PTR patch adds the various reps to Tanaan, so I'm looking forward to checking those out and seeing if it adds some longevity.

ZenaxPure

That probably makes sense. We were all too infatuated with the Timeless Isle which was also designed like Draenor, so we imagined that but bigger.

Too bad timeless isle had reasons to do things every day at least.

To me the key thing that was missing from Draenor vs. Timeless Isle is still the whole gear thing. Timeless worked, at least for me, because I could build up an entire set of gear there. I spent an absurd amount of time on TI gearing up alts and to be honest had fun with it. Just running around finding weekly treasures, doing random events, and killing random enemies was fun enough on alts who in previous expansions I would level and let them sit there to rot until the next expansion. Draenor just didn't have that aspect to it, apexis crystals were poorly handled and near impossible to collect before 6.1.

It's why I'm actually fairly excited for Tanaan, the new apexis vendor is what should have been in from the start. I will probably end up gearing at least 3-4 alts with that stuff.

I did them...but mostly because there was nothing else to do...

Pretty much. I did it but it was really bad, entire thing was poorly handled and a sad excuse for max level story content. Only quest I legit enjoyed was the Yrel one (which I assume is alliance side only). I have 0 faith in the new garrison campaign. Would be nice to be proven wrong but I'm going in with pretty low expectations.

Even after WoD was released, I still got most of my 100 v 100 wpvp done at the timeless isle.

This. For a while it was like "Woah, a quest to do!". At least half of them were really poor though, like the Shattrath one that took literally 10 minutes to do.

I did one of the quests, it was the exact same thing as the apex dailies 'kill mobs and click on some random stuff sometimes to fill up this bar'. Never again.

If they are are doing something reputation related, they should make Laughing skull a proper faction too, with proper daily quests, hub and story instead of what looks like an afterthought. What's worse is the faction will disappear in your faction list the moment you remove the trading post in your garrison.

Robin64

Ashran, when it was really busy, was just impossible for melee. Just walls of ranged vs ranged, any melee that stepped out was dead.

Robin64

Robin64

Did some Timewalking on the PTR. Seems really fun, so I'm a bit upset that it's just one of a bunch of bonus features which are turned on just every so often. All the other bonuses do feel like bonuses, where this one feels like a feature that should just always be there.

Though some VP to go along with it would be very nice.

Did some Timewalking on the PTR. Seems really fun, so I'm a bit upset that it's just one of a bunch of bonus features which are turned on just every so often. All the other bonuses do feel like bonuses, where this one feels like a feature that should just always be there.

Though some VP to go along with it would be very nice.

What ilevel is the timewalking gear at?

And yeah, lack of any real reason to to do dungeons after the first couple days after you hit 100 is a pretty big issue.

Robin64

You know, for everything it does wrong, nothing comes to feeling as good as WoW does. I've played Tera and Guild Wars 2 and Rift and Final Fantasy XIV and a whole bunch of others, but none of those feel as solid as WoW does. Just movement around the world, MMOs tend to be floaty, but WoW gets it right. And combat in WoW feels like it has impact, which again, the others tend to not have.

You get scaled to level 70 and the gear gets scaled to 95.

Wait what? So what's the point of doing it then?

You know, for everything it does wrong, nothing comes to feeling as good as WoW does. I've played Tera and Guild Wars 2 and Rift and Final Fantasy XIV and a whole bunch of others, but none of those feel as solid as WoW does. Just movement around the world, MMOs tend to be floaty, but WoW gets it right. And combat in WoW feels like it has impact, which again, the others tend to not have.

I cannot agree more, it's one of the main reasons no other MMO after wow really stuck for me, I really do enjoy playing the game, I honestly kind of enjoy just grinding on mobs with most classes simply because of how much I enjoy the combat.

There's just something about the feel and smoothness of pressing buttons and stuff happening wow has that I don't feel from the others.

FFXIV I feel is much worse than most other MMOs in general in that regard. It gets so much right but I cannot stand that combat, the 2 second GCD is especially criminal. I'd rate GW2, Rift, WAR, Aion, SWTOR, Tera, wildstar, ESO and basically any other MMO I've played far far above it combatwise.

The gear you earn in them is all the old models and names and stuff, but it scales up to 660 at level 100. Plus doing 5 of them gets you a roll token for Hellfire.

Oh I see, 660 seems criminally low though, my DK barely stepped foot into a raid and quit like 2 months into WoD and even she only has like 1 or 2 pieces below 660. Pretty sure most people would be better geared from Garrison gear alone at this point.

And 5 runs for 1 token, also seems pretty steep.

lazygecko

Is there some guide available for followers out in the world you can earn relatively quickly without going through quest chains, like the Thunderlord orc in Frostfire or Tommok the ogre in Gorgrond?

Top Bottom