• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

Yeah, it's definitely going to be a 2 raid tier expansion. Though having Archimonde as the final boss, I dunno, something feels off there.

Purdy

Anyone have faith in Blizzard to fix what they've done wrong or expecting another 2 tier raid expansion and just milking WoW on its long downfall?

RPGCrazied

If this is really a two raid tier expac like it's looking to be...

Not sure I'll remain interested.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV ever since 6.1 dropped. Its really fun. Will check out the new stuff in 6.2 on my 100, then I'm back to XIV. I'm still subbed to WoW though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Anyone have faith in Blizzard to fix what they've done wrong or expecting another 2 tier raid expansion and just milking WoW on its long downfall?

tchClSSl.jpg

THyeOBDl.jpg

I don't have high hopes.

Probably gonna have a huge sub bump if the movie is good, and just ride that wave, claiming the game is good again.

Robin64

New Dev Watercooler on Itemization in 6.2

First, rather than treating loot chances independently for each player—sometimes yielding only one or even zero items for a group—we’ll use a system similar to Group Loot to determine how many items a boss will award based on eligible group size. As a result, groups will receive a much more predictable number of drops when they defeat a boss.

The previous Personal Loot system celebrated your own rewards, but would bury what your groupmates received in the chat log. However, the moment when your friend finally wins that long sought-after sword can be just as important to you as that moment you won your boots—and we wanted the game to help you celebrate it, too. Now when you loot an item, everyone in your group will see what you won!

...we are structuring Hellfire Citadel so that the Item Level of the loot awarded by bosses increases as players proceed deeper into the zone, culminating in Archimonde—providing both the ultimate challenge and the ultimate reward.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Are those sets (or rather, that one set for everything) real..?

it's like that on the ptr, and the patch has been put on the background downloader which usually means the only thing left for the ptr is just numbers changes, not graphical assets.

So it's like...80ish% confirmed?

The best boots for you will likely be different if you are on Normal Gorefiend than they would be if you’re on Heroic Mannoroth, which would be different than if you’re on Mythic Iron Reaver, and so on.

omfg

Peachpies

The changes to personal loot method are nice but they are making a huge mistake (again) with the item level of loot being different between bosses. They say in this article that they want people to be looking at more than just item level for upgrades and then they go and make it so the item level between items in the same raid can be even bigger than before. They also completely ignore the negative aspects of having some item be completely useless because they are from an earlier boss. It also has a big impact on the gearing process, for instance, if someone gets a weapon from an early boss they could end up being behind everyone else gear wise as they probably wouldn't get a weapon upgrade over someone else until other people get weapons so they are stuck with a lower level weapon while other people have better ones because they got it from a later boss since the first player already got a weapon upgrade even though it is not as good.

And I thought item level inflation was bad enough as it was. Now we're actually moving to different levels WITHIN A SINGLE TIER. SMH Blizzard. I don't think they understand - previously, the item drops from later in a zone were simply itemized better/had desirable sockets/etc. Maybe a higher iLvl on a final boss. But since they fucked up the loot this expac with the oversimplification of stats, they decided they needed to do this.
cBj1LTf.png

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If Blizz bends any more to the casuals, it will be GG.

Also from there:

Helll yeah.

Well wait how is this gonna work. If it always drops an amount comparable to group loot, but it's set on personal...

Wouldn't a group be able to go into heroic with like 19 people, kill a boss and then re-kill it for the 20th person and they ALWAYS get a piece of loot if it's on personal?

If that one person who isn't locked is guaranteed to get a piece, they wouldn't get a useless piece like if it were set on group loot right?

Peachpies

Well wait how is this gonna work. If it always drops an amount comparable to group loot, but it's set on personal...

Wouldn't a group be able to go into heroic with like 19 people, kill a boss and then re-kill it for the 20th person and they ALWAYS get a piece of loot if it's on personal?

If that one person who isn't locked is guaranteed to get a piece, they wouldn't get a useless piece like if it were set on group loot right?
they would have a bit more than 20% chance to get a piece of loot

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I think the way it works is that it would still roll for 20 peoples worth of loot to distribute randomly, but if an ineligible person "wins" (someone who is already saved to the boss) that piece of loot is just never seen and vanishes into the ether. If 19/20 people are ineligible, chances are pretty low the one new dude will get anything.

I'm sure it doesn't ACTUALLY work like that, but that's how I would visualize the situation.

StMeph

I'm sure it doesn't ACTUALLY work like that, but that's how I would visualize the situation.

I'm visualizing the situation as a large number of malnourished and ill-equipped people huddled around a small campfire in the broken shell of a building trying to code on typewriters and sending that code by carrier pigeon to a faraway city to be manually entered into the PTR so it can make it all the way to Live for us to use.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Well it's interesting because its a new system but its stupid I think. It's going to be terrible to plan anything out and you're going to just keep hoping on getting war forged anything.

ampere

Yeah I agree with Peach. The personal loot changes, good. Everything else, not so good. Loot is already a clusterfuck with how it's spread out and this serves to make it worse

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Have we still no pics for the new Ascendance glyph?

Wait... They're not? Are they fucking serious?

Yeah, I found that out recently too and was pretty bummed. It's such a shitty move. I mean, you put the work in, you made the models, why not upgrade warlock pets too? At least a couple of them really need the upgrade.

Blizz gonna Blizz.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean...Blizzard never upgraded old world flight paths with the new gryphon/rylak models either even though they've been around forever now. The subscription model seems like a bizarre fit for WoW at this point. The support they offer the game between expansions feels like the absolute bare minimum, and their unwillingness to provide balance tweaks, class updates, or systematic change to things like PvP leave the game feeling stagnant for very long stretches. I guess there's more bulletin points they can put on expansion packs to justify price gouging consumers though if they just push out large but infrequent updates.

Robin64

Not replacing the old flight path models with the lovely new 5.1 ones was so bizarre. Thought they might get round to it eventually, but here we still are.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Not replacing the old flight path models with the lovely new 5.1 ones was so bizarre. Thought they might get round to it eventually, but here we still are.
Seems like something that is easy in theory but the game being so old it's like a game is jenga at this point.

Changing the old gryphon model may not just be Ctrl c Ctrl v. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be fixing this stuff though.

Yeah, I found that out recently too and was pretty bummed. It's such a shitty move. I mean, you put the work in, you made the models, why not upgrade warlock pets too? At least a couple of them really need the upgrade.

Blizz gonna Blizz.

Holy fuck that is so stupid.

I was looking forward to maybe checking out the new felhunter if I resubbed, it looks so much better.

Why, I just, I just can't.

Renekton

They also completely ignore the negative aspects of having some item be completely useless because they are from an earlier boss.
Blizzard implied each subsequent boss or boss zone has clearly higher difficulty which will justify the item level increase. Hypothetically if a guild is stuck at boss A, they are confined to loot A anyways.

That's a big fresh tuning challenge which Blizz has never done before in WoW history, now they have to microtune each boss to be clearly harder than the predecessor in the same zone.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It'll probably still happen. The Warlock pets.

Need to give people a reason to resub and they're running out of those :d

The work they put into the demons for HFC make me think they're gonna be part of the next expansion.

Kinda like all the Iron Stars and shit in SoO.

Peachpies

Blizzard implied each subsequent boss or boss zone has clearly higher difficulty which will justify the item level increase. Hypothetically if a guild is stuck at boss A, they are confined to loot A anyways.

That's a big fresh tuning challenge which Blizz has never done before in WoW history, now they have to microtune each boss to be clearly harder than the predecessor in the same zone.
boss being slightly harder or easier than another one shouldn't really effect the item level of the loot and that doesn't change it from being a negative experience

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Eh they've had harder bosses with higher ilevel loot plenty before. just not AS split apart.

Was the item slot split ever as dumb as it is? Archimonde has a few weapons but not for everyone. Some people will be OP as hell if they get fulled geared.

Renekton

boss being slightly harder or easier than another one shouldn't really effect the item level of the loot and that doesn't change it from being a negative experience
Maybe Blizz saw a lot of guilds disintegrated because raiders didn't like banging their heads on BF/Maiden for similar rewards. I remember pugs bailed out like clockwork after downing Darmac or Thogar haha

Eh they've had harder bosses with higher ilevel loot plenty before. just not AS split apart.
Oops I didn't know.

Back in TBC I only remember the final boss had higher non-set item level.

Entropia

No One Remembers
On PTR because I am super bored. TBC Timewalking dungeons are up.

I get Shattered Halls. :(

EDIT: Everyone left after the first boss. :(

Like mentioned above it's really not that bad. You can visit other people's garrisons and find him and get his quest. It doesn't matter if he is in your garrison or not. It takes literally less than 1 minute to open the LFG tool type in harrison and go to someone else's garrison who has him.

The real problem is that the 6 quests he offers are just in a random order. It's been literally WEEKS since the Frostfire one appeared on north american servers (before today), it's fucking stupid.

As for Harrison himself, the value of him is for people who are setting up their garrisons for exclusively gold making. Ideally you want at least 10 treasure hunters with varied abilities (though there is nothing wrong with having more than that) which means you will be recruiting a fresh follower from the Inn for literally months. Harrison is pretty much mandatory in leveling them up.

I have three of the quests done for him do far. Hopefully I'll be done soon.

As far as leveling up followers and recruiting them, I have one from the inn for this week. Do you have a suggestion for leveling them quick?

I also built the bunker I think it was. How do I get the tokens you were talking about?

ZenaxPure

As far as leveling up followers and recruiting them, I have one from the inn for this week. Do you have a suggestion for leveling them quick?

I also built the bunker I think it was. How do I get the tokens you were talking about?

The suggestion for leveling followers quickly is getting Harrison Jones. That is his entire purpose. You are stuck leveling them very slowly until RNG allows you to obtain him. As for the bunker, the weapon upgrade tokens are from the work orders. Just a time waiting game to get those built up.

This is pathetic.

It's like they want WoW to be shit.

Part of me honest to god wonders if they just saw early on how disappointing WoD was going to be and just gave up on it. Like before it even came out. They just shit out what they had done and started working on the next expansion instead.

I mean for real, they haven't even gotten around to fixing stuff that has been broke since launch. I still do 2 apexis dailies every week to trigger garrison invasions and since I've platinum'd them all I just go for Botani as it's the easiest... Anyhow, I always do Lost Veil Anzu and like half the mobs there are evade bugged and the whole gimmick of that area (consuming corpses to transform or whatever) doesn't even work correctly. Like 90% of the mobs I kill I can never consume their body.

I don't really want to pile on blizzard or anything, I wouldn't even say I outright hate Warlords (as there are aspects of it I actually do like) but idk man, it feels like they put it out there and moved on to something else. Even 6.2 which they say is the biggest content patch ever - half the new content is old dungeons. I think Timewalking is neat and frankly I'm more excited for mythic dungeons than I am a new raid, but, c'mon blizz, get real here for a sec.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Part of me honest to god wonders if they just saw early on how disappointing WoD was going to be and just gave up on it. Like before it even came out. They just shit out what they had done and started working on the next expansion instead.

Wouldn't surprise anyone really if you think about it. The two MAIN big things of WoD(Garrisons and Ashran) the majority of the playerbase seems to hate and the whole expansion has been Blizzard trying to push them more while the playerbase pushes back. And I don't just mean the usual forum complainers.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this is probablyyyyy the worst patch cycle ive had experience with so far.

Cata was bad, but at least it stepped up with the raid content.

this... there's just nothing in general

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I took my friend to Icecrown Citadel because he had never done it and wanted to see the Lich King fight.

He just got the achievements "The Frozen Throne" and "Invincible's Reins" on the same run.
KuGsj.gif

GiciWJi.png

Receipts that I'm a nice fellow to my friends:

T1X8F4d.png

Yeah, but I don't know if at this point even an awesome burning legion expac would bring people back. They generated a ton of hype for WoD, then burned twice as much good will.

PvP gear being the same as PvE gear is some of the laziest shit I've seen come out of this dev team. And I do mean lazy. It feels like the team is being managed purely by the businessmen now, putting in the minimum effort to retain an acceptable amount of revenue. Skimp on "subsciption content" and put out store mounts and pets in the interim. I still wouldn't be playing if it wasn't for the token and being gold rich. Hell, I'm not sure if I'll re-up at the end of the month, even with gold. I did sell that BoE ring from my salvage by the way.

I took my friend to Icecrown Citadel because he had never done it and wanted to see the Lich King fight.

He just got the achievements "The Frozen Throne" and "Invincible's Reins" on the same run.
KuGsj.gif

GiciWJi.png

Receipts that I'm a nice fellow to my friends:

T1X8F4d.png
disapprove.gif
tears.gif

ZenaxPure

Wouldn't surprise anyone really if you think about it. The two MAIN big things of WoD(Garrisons and Ashran) the majority of the playerbase seems to hate and the whole expansion has been Blizzard trying to push them more while the playerbase pushes back. And I don't just mean the usual forum complainers.

Hah, I dunno. Saying blizzard has been trying to push them more implies that they have actually put some work into content after WoD launched to actually push them. Maybe a light tap rather than a push.

Also I kinda do feel like they have largely abandoned garrisons now anyway. When's the last time they mentioned tier 4 garrisons or new buildings. Remember the start of the expansion? They talked about that rather frequently. Not to mention they left most buildings to rot anyway, so many are so useless after an extended period of time. Heck in 6.2 they've actively decided to take the key feature of the barn away from it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hah, I dunno. Saying blizzard has been trying to push them more implies that they have actually put some work into content after WoD launched to actually push them. Maybe a light tap rather than a push.

Also I kinda do feel like they have largely abandoned garrisons now anyway. When's the last time they mentioned tier 4 garrisons or new buildings. Remember the start of the expansion? They talked about that rather frequently. Not to mention they left most buildings to rot anyway, so many are so useless after an extended period of time. Heck in 6.2 they've actively decided to take the key feature of the barn away from it.

They even said that garrisons wouldn't be carried over into the next expansion a few months ago. How's that pushing them?

Robin64

Man, so Blizzcon is still 6 months away. Assuming that's when they unveil the next expansion, we then have to wait however long for beta, then the same again for it going live.. Tanaan/HFC is going to be it for over a year again, isn't it?

Rarity says I have had over 25% chance for Invincible so far, nearly 33% for Onyxian Drake, nearly 30% for Flametalon of Alysrazor, and nearly 25% for Smoldering Egg of Millagazor.

SURELY I'LL GET ONE OF THIS SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

Top Bottom