• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

JSoup

Banned
FFXIV I feel is much worse than most other MMOs in general in that regard.

The one thing that really irks me about FF14 is dodging doesn't work how I think it should work. In WoW, if a boss is charging an attack with a visible AOE ring, I can dodge the attack so long as I'm out of the way before the attack itself is fully executed, right up to a second before the thing even hits (exceptions exist). FF14? Nope. When the meter is charged for the attack, if I was in the glowing path, I'm getting it. Even if the actual attack animation takes 10 seconds after charging and I'm halfway across the arena, still gonna get hit.

The one thing that really irks me about FF14 is dodging doesn't work how I think it should work. In WoW, if a boss is charging an attack with a visible AOE ring, I can dodge the attack so long as I'm out of the way before the attack itself is fully executed, right up to a second before the thing even hits (exceptions exist). FF14? Nope. When the meter is charged for the attack, if I was in the glowing path, I'm getting it. Even if the actual attack animation takes 10 seconds after charging and I'm halfway across the arena, still gonna get hit.

Yeah I always ended up moving much earlier than I would in WoW/Wildstar/GW2 simply because of the unreliability.

Also, the long animations and the positional requirements combinedwere annoying as well.

As a monk some of my attacks did more damage/insta crit when used from side/back so you keep moving back and forth, which mind you I really enjoyed and was one of the few things I liked about the combat in that game.

But do I get the bonus when I press the button? When the animation ends? in the Middle? What if I move from side to back 1/2 way through? I don't fucking know.

Also the fact that you always move made the feet sliding on ground while in an attack animation even more painfully obvious when you move so much AND the animations are so long. WoW has the sliding feet thing during some attacks as well but animations are so short you never notice it.

Also another thing, small but really bugged, when my monk does a 3 hit punch animation, why do I only get one number? Really really really hate that. I want a number for every animated hit, like most other MMOs.

But I digress this isn't the what I dislike about ARR thread. That game had a lot of great things, the fates, quests, level syncing, story, graphics, cutscenes etc.

Robin64

So they're fleshing out the rares a bit in Tanaan on the PTR.

I just killed one and it dropped a Baleful Shoulders token. You get these from the Apexis vendor for 5000 crystals each. When used, they give a 650 piece of gear. However, the upgrade kicked in and it made it 675 for me. Not bad.

Also, the Apexis vendor sells an item for 20,000 crystals which upgrades any Baleful item to 695.

Edit: Huh. Just killed a normal standard mob and got Baleful Legs. Didn't proc an upgrade this time, but that's kinda nice they drop from everything.

So they're fleshing out the rares a bit in Tanaan on the PTR.

I just killed one and it dropped a Baleful Shoulders token. You get these from the Apexis vendor for 5000 crystals each. When used, they give a 650 piece of gear. However, the upgrade kicked in and it made it 675 for me. Not bad.

Also, the Apexis vendor sells an item for 20,000 crystals which upgrades any Baleful item to 695.

Edit: Huh. Just killed a normal standard mob and got Baleful Legs. Didn't proc an upgrade this time, but that's kinda nice they drop from everything.

Are the new rares any hard? The nice thing about the MoP rares were that they could literally one shot you if you weren't paying attention, WoD rares were kind of a snoozefest.

Robin64

Are the new rares any hard? The nice thing about the MoP rares were that they could literally one shot you if you weren't paying attention, WoD rares were kind of a snoozefest.

They can one-shot you, but the abilities that do so are very telegraphed. It helps that a) lots of people tend to fight them when they appear right now and b) you get to choose a garrison ability you want for the zone. I went for Call to Arms, which is so good with rares.

ZenaxPure

On the topic of combat, yeah I agree. WoW really beats everyone else for me. Ditching the stiff rotations over the years in favor of priority based abilities where resource management and skill synergies are king is just so much more engaging than what a lot of other games offer. I tried to play some GW2 around christmas but the combat completely put me off, it worked pretty alright in PVP but in PVE it all boiled down to just hitting whatever ability wasn't on cooldown for increased damage and trying to not break auto-attack chains. Bored me to the point where I quit playing despite liking other aspects of the game.

Oh I see, 660 seems criminally low though, my DK barely stepped foot into a raid and quit like 2 months into WoD and even she only has like 1 or 2 pieces below 660. Pretty sure most people would be better geared from Garrison gear alone at this point.

And 5 runs for 1 token, also seems pretty steep.

It'll come down to RNG for a lot of players I imagine. BRF LFR is 655 with 660 tier pieces so it will just depend if people managed to get lucky with their BRF missions caches and how much effort they put into crafted gear or apexis gear. It's not the best reward system but it'll be alright for now.

Also no idea if anything has changed but when they were first put on the PTR I saw people saying they were able to use old legendaries in there since the stats were mostly the same as their normal gear, but, more importantly the procs still worked. I really want to do a timewalking dungeon on my rogue with legendary daggers + cape + ring for the hilarity of it, so I hope that is something that makes it to the live release.

Robin64

Also no idea if anything has changed but when they were first put on the PTR I saw people saying they were able to use old legendaries in there since the stats were mostly the same as their normal gear, but, more importantly the procs still worked. I really want to do a timewalking dungeon on my rogue with legendary daggers + cape + ring for the hilarity of it, so I hope that is something that makes it to the live release.

Yeah, one of the recent Blizz posts was confirming that people can use their Shadowmourne again.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, one of the recent Blizz posts was confirming that people can use their Shadowmourne again.

That actually excites me a lot. My rogue needs nothing from them gear-wise but, god, rolling through a dungeon while wearing multiple legendaries sounds like the funniest shit ever.

They can one-shot you, but the abilities that do so are very telegraphed.

That's great, basically like the MoP ones but actually worth killing.

On the topic of combat, yeah I agree. WoW really beats everyone else for me. Ditching the stiff rotations over the years in favor of priority based abilities where resource management and skill synergies are king is just so much more engaging than what a lot of other games offer. I tried to play some GW2 around christmas but the combat completely put me off, it worked pretty alright in PVP but in PVE it all boiled down to just hitting whatever ability wasn't on cooldown for increased damage and trying to not break auto-attack chains. Bored me to the point where I quit playing despite liking other aspects of the game.

One thing I really liked about GW2 combat was how some attacks/auto attacks just cleaved naturally due to their animations. I couldn't get into the rest of the game though, Is till have it installed and sometimes I just launch it, see all the diamond things, and then turn it off. Never got past level 30 on any char.

And I dunno, should be 670 at least imo, 660 is just too low to get any real participation from anyone but the most undergeared people and new 100s.

ZenaxPure

And I dunno, should be 670 at least imo, 660 is just too low to get any real participation from anyone but the most undergeared people and new 100s.

I imagine most people will do at least for the bonus roll, IIRC it doesn't count towards your weekly maximum so it is a bonus bonus roll.

Also not exactly related directly but there was a blue tweet a while back that said bonus rolls will work in mythic dungeons as well, so they will be useful if you are just going to do that and not even raid (which is probably what I will end up doing since I have friends playing again but no one wants to raid anymore).

JSoup

Banned
But I digress this isn't the what I dislike about ARR thread. That game had a lot of great things, the fates, quests, level syncing, story, graphics, cutscenes etc.

Yeah, I didn't mean to shift the topic to bitching about other games, sorry if it came off like that. I find between the three good MMOs out right now (FF14, WoW & GW2), I frequently find myself saying "you know, I like that, I wish one or both of the other two games did it like this" or "wow, that's cumbersome, which it was more like [one of other two games]."

RPGCrazied

Also, all those dragon mounts everyone has. How immersion breaking is it, to not fly them anymore going forward? Anything that has wings for that matter.

Dumb idea.

I don't see the problem with keeping it the way it was. No flying at the start of expansion and leveling experience for everyone. Then the first or 2nd content patch have it for people at max level that pays a fee.

It wasn't broke before, no reason to so call fix it.

It wasn't broke before, no reason to so call fix it.

But it was, there's a reason the isle of queldenas was the most non instanced exciting part of tbc once you hit 70.

Flying just makes the world boring, even if you do get it post max level.

Yeah, I didn't mean to shift the topic to bitching about other games, sorry if it came off like that. I find between the three good MMOs out right now (FF14, WoW & GW2), I frequently find myself saying "you know, I like that, I wish one or both of the other two games did it like this" or "wow, that's cumbersome, which it was more like [one of other two games]."

Yeah there's a lot they could learn from each other.

I'm still surprised WoW doesn't have the public quests/rifts/fates those games had, they were great.

Robin64

So Archimonde drops 3 cloth items which work for transmog.

archTransmogGear.jpg

I expect to see all locks like that at some point.

Haha.

Patch 5.2 kept me occupied for months with all the crap it had. 6.2 will last a week.
What do you feel Isle of Thunder has that Tanaan lacks?

There's no feel about it.. What a weird response.

It's crazy we still don't have a view of that ascendance glyph, hate the current ascendance, the animations just look sooooo bad.

Also WTB Stormblast zap glyph, shitty wind glaive toss is shitty.

There's no feel about it.. What a weird response.

Does it really devolve into apex dailies like that twitter guy says?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So Archimonde drops 3 cloth items which work for transmog.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2015/may/archTransmogGear.jpg[IMG]

I expect to see all locks like that at some point.

Haha.

There's no [I]feel[/I] about it.. What a weird response.[/QUOTE]

I hope the pieces arent as rare as the garrosh shoulders.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The amount of salt I am seeing thrown around on twitter, forums, etc about flying mounts is freaking nuts. People are acting really irrational about this.

Renekton

Tanaan will last at least 8 weeks, I guess, as that's how long they're stretching out the new Garrison campaign for.

Next PTR patch adds the various reps to Tanaan, so I'm looking forward to checking those out and seeing if it adds some longevity.
For raiders I'm not sure.

HFC seems larger and more difficult, which means it might take scrubs like me longer to PuG out an AotC compared to BRF (or not get it at all).

Robin64

For raiders I'm not sure.

HFC seems larger and more difficult, which means it might take scrubs like me longer to PuG out an AotC compared to BRF (or not get it at all).

Oh yeah, I purely meant the outdoor content. I'm sure the raid will be pretty good, I think they're putting the same effort into those that they always have.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
No flying is one of the only things right with WoD.

sure, but i capitalized "No Flying" for a reason. its basically their mindset in making the decision to never integrate it and how it applies to other things in the game.

my personal opinion is that they're too lazy/outside of budget to actually bother going back in and implementing it, otherwise we would be able to fly in the other remaining areas in Azeroth that don't allow flying by now. so they play it off as some integral game design decision. As if anyone ever cared what happens in an older expansion once it is old news

Robin64

To be able to fly in Quel'thalas would require an entire rebuild of Silvermoon, which would no doubt cost a raid tier. And given nobody goes there except on RP servers...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
To be able to fly in Quel'thalas would require an entire rebuild of Silvermoon, which would no doubt cost a raid tier. And given nobody goes there except on RP servers...

I think that's the general takeaway point here. They didnt design wod for flying so it'll take them "a raid tier" to implement it. Obviously at this point in the game things like that shouldn't happen, yet it does, and we aren't even getting more than 2 raid tiers for this expansion and flying wont even be implemented by the end of it.

"You want this, it'll have to cost you a raid tier" is pretty asinine. It shouldn't cost us anything more than what we are paying them.

Robin64

Well I'm not aware of any places in Draenor that go all funky when you fly over them, aside from Tanaan post-6.2. Not in the same way that Stormwind used to and Silvermoon still does, I mean. I do think that in terms of world, it has been future-proofed so that it would all work if flying were to be turned on.

Rogue xmog finally done!

Oh hey, it's Vanessa VanCleef! Well, different hair, but still. Nice look.

"You want this, it'll have to cost you a raid tier" is pretty asinine. It shouldn't cost us anything more than what we are paying them.

Their raid tier excuse has always been a pile a shit. The amount of shit they get done /w the amount of resources they have is laughably low.

Flying needs to be in the game. Not because some people like it and some don't, but because it will show blizzard gives a shit about the player base. Right now it really feels like they don't. I've never seen this kind of backlash to an expansion. It's not diablo III levels of bullshit but people sure as fuck aren't happy.

ampere

We should definitely be able to fly in outdated content at the very least.

And shit like Archaeology should be either straight up removed or changed immensely if they are not going have flying to go with it.

RPGCrazied

We should definitely be able to fly in outdated content at the very least.

And shit like Archaeology should be either straight up removed or changed immensely if they are not going have flying to go with it.

I'm not going to do Archaeology anymore without flying. Blizzard actually defended that it was better and more challenging to do it with no flying. Nodes are always on different continents, it was already time consuming, no flying mounts makes it no fun anymore.

Archeology is garbage content. With or without flying.

One of the two things I've ever botted (wanted them boa weapons to level my monk), don't regret it at all.

I think it's telling what state the game is in when class forums are completely dead, both the official EU ones and MMO champion.

Oh there were plenty, such as 40 -> 25 man raiding.

No, I don't think so. 40-25 man raiding didn't lose them subs. At the tim of the raiding change the overall state of the game was sound. They were getting more people into content, not less. This is something else entirely. The game is in a poor state and people are losing their shit because of it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
No, I don't think so. 40-25 man raiding didn't lose them subs. At the tim of the raiding change the overall state of the game was sound. They were getting more people into content, not less. This is something else entirely. The game is in a poor state and people are losing their shit because of it.

"Poor" seems to be a very subjective term.

lazygecko

Titanpanel

I was just cleaning up my install folders and removing the WTF subdirectories for old deleted alts and such cause they were still being added by the Titanpanel addon and displaying more gold than I really had. Was hoping that there would perhaps be something like that Titan module but more in-depth.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do you think they will release another "hero" class like Death Knight?

Nope. They said they hated how it turned out and have basically ripped most the 'hero' elements out of the class due to class homogenizing. Plus starting at level 1 is a more convincing way to sell boosts.

Tacitus_

I think that's the general takeaway point here. They didnt design wod for flying so it'll take them "a raid tier" to implement it. Obviously at this point in the game things like that shouldn't happen, yet it does, and we aren't even getting more than 2 raid tiers for this expansion and flying wont even be implemented by the end of it.

Sorry but you're looking at it wrong. WoD is designed for flying so for it it is purely a design decision. Silvermoon on the other hand looks like this

so they'd have to construct all the buildings again.

That said, no flying is bullshit. Flying mounts were a great max level reward.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Again, I don't mind the no-flying thing really. But that was with the assumption Blizzard would do something interesting with it.

They didn't. And they won't. So fuck it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I just lost a Gruul staff to a shaman. And I can't even really blame them, even though i think it's stupid. There's no benefit for a shaman or paladin to be using MH/OH.

If they're gonna do this thing where anyone wants to equip anything, why can't priests/druids get swords and mages/locks get maces?

It's not like those items are good for those classes any more, and loot isn't divided by type of weapon, just MH/OH/2H these days. There's literally no difference between 1h maces, axes, swords, daggers anymore. And no difference between equipping MH/OH and 2H, I fucking hate it.

Top Bottom