• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ampere

Grats on your loots dudes

I still can't get over how shit Invincible looks five years later, its that retarded horse but a reskin/colour. After finally getting mine back in the day I didn't even use it, god it sucks.

Mimiron's head on the other hand, now that is special. Although I guess that whole raid was the peak.

I still love the model for Invincible above all other mounts. The Lich King lore is great too so that empowers it for me.

Purdy

Grats on your loots dudes

I still love the model for Invincible above all other mounts. The Lich King lore is great too so that empowers it for me.

Really?

I couldn't have been more disappointed it shared the model with celestial steed which came around the same time.

That is...that is just not true. It's the exact opposite if anything.

Demo is the easiest spec to play, it's ridiculous.

Raiding in general isn't about how well you can do rotations or play your class anymore, it's the mechanics and like...timing your abilities.

Maybe youre doing it wrong and that's why your dps sucks? Demo has a lot of things to watch. Maybe saying its a bitch to play was a bit excessive, but its certainly more complicated than destro or any of the other classes Ive played (fire mage, enhance sham, undead DK, BM hunter). The fire mage and hunter are pathetically easy to play. The enhance sham is just busy/lots of abilities. Its not too hard, just mash a button when stuff is off cooldown. Im new to the DK and only made it for the crimson shadowmourne/deathcharger so Im not great with it. There is a on of abilities with the DK, but a ton seem like they are for pvp or tanking.

What addon are you using that shows your attempts?

I'm going to have to run some shit tonight I think.

Any alliance side players that can help me get a Lich king lockout setup?

Rarity. Tracks all sorts of rare mounts/pets/etc. I had to custom add an entry for my Windseeker Bindings though.

Finished my Firelands runs for the week. Got another Sulfuras (on Shaman - 3rd total). Still have yet to see a mount. Think I might add Tempest Keep back in my rotation. Ulduar I'm still avoiding till I check off something else since it's so long, though apparently there's a trick with the premade group finder to be able to setup lockouts where you clear and set it to auto-invite, then log on your alt and go without having to deal with a third party.

I'll start my ICC runs later tonight or tomorrow, Onyxia on the weekend or Monday. Maybe some luck there, but I fear I used up all mine for the week.

Rarity. Tracks all sorts of rare mounts/pets/etc. I had to custom add an entry for my Windseeker Bindings though.

Finished my Firelands runs for the week. Got another Sulfuras (on Shaman - 3rd total). Still have yet to see a mount. Think I might add Tempest Keep back in my rotation. Ulduar I'm still avoiding till I check off something else since it's so long, though apparently there's a trick with the premade group finder to be able to setup lockouts where you clear and set it to auto-invite, then log on your alt and go without having to deal with a third party.

I'll start my ICC runs later tonight or tomorrow, Onyxia on the weekend or Monday. Maybe some luck there, but I fear I used up all mine for the week.

My lock is 100% out of luck. My last 8 bonus rolls have been gold. In my brf pug this week, no lock tokens dropped, only the other 2. I did manage to the mount from 4 winds, but that was the one I wanted least.

Robin64

So I ran Molten Core, to see what I might get. I totally forgot which crafting mats are needed in the event of legendary stuff, so I picked them all up.

9tOf6Nn.png

Holy shit you guys, look at all those different ones. Vanilla was really a clusterfuck of crafting mats. And yeah, that's an Eye of Sulfurus. :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Vanilla was a lot of fun because it was a clusterfuck of crafting mats and rep tokens. The game lost the charm when they made a lot of it obsolete in cata.

Robin64

Just realised the Eye of Sulfuras is the hard part to get! I got lucky, it seems.

Just learnt the plan for Sulfuron Hammer from Lokhtos Darkbargainer, now I need to get myself learning the Dark Iron Bar recipe. Think this might be my first old-skool Legendary.

ampere

Really?

I couldn't have been more disappointed it shared the model with celestial steed which came around the same time.

You mean skeleton, I mean model. I think

Celestial Steed should have been an Algalon rare drop, because that mount looks awesome it's just too common to get the respect it could have

Purdy

Celestial Steed should have been an Algalon rare drop, because that mount looks awesome it's just too common to get the respect it could have

Agreed it should've been Algalon mount but also think they should've made the wings much better, they look awful on both it and Invincible imo, what puts me off most, normal horses look better :(

The mount you got from TotC HC with no raid deaths was nicer imo

It doesn't matter what it dropped from, it and invincibles stubby ass legs will always make them look silly.

Star pony looks awesome in shadowform though and I do use it on my priest, not as awesome as the ghost wind rider/gryphon though, shadow form makes it a totally invincible mount.

ampere

Agreed it should've been Algalon mount but also think they should've made the wings much better, they look awful on both it and Invincible imo, what puts me off most, normal horses look better :(

It doesn't matter what it dropped from, it and invincibles stubby ass legs will always make them look silly.

Star pony looks awesome in shadowform though and I do use it on my priest, not as awesome as the ghost wind rider/gryphon though, shadow form makes it a totally invincible mount.

Yea it looks a bit cartoony, guess I don't mind since WoW's art style is cartoony most of the time anyway.

TheYanger

If my warpony flew I wouldn't use any other mount. Love that thing. Invincible looks better than the normal horses to me though. Not sure I get the issue.

shiba5

Purely anecdotally, I too know a number of people who returned for that "real Warcraft feel."

They are going to be disappointed. There is nothing in the latest expansion that reminds me of vanilla except lack of flying. I played from launch day up until Mists came out and then re-subbed last month to check out the new stuff. I was shocked how utterly alien and isolated the game feels now. With the latest "no flying ever" announcement, I unsubbed. It's not the game I remember.

TheYanger

They are going to be disappointed. There is nothing in the latest expansion that reminds me of vanilla except lack of flying. I played from launch day up until Mists came out and then re-subbed last month to check out the new stuff. I was shocked how utterly alien and isolated the game feels now. With the latest "no flying ever" announcement, I unsubbed. It's not the game I remember.

Why is flying particularly important to you? It's absolutely crazy to me that people feel that way about a mechanic that amounted to hitting spacebar until you were high enoguh and then auto-flying towards your destination. The antithesis of gameplay.

Peachpies

Why is flying particularly important to you? It's absolutely crazy to me that people feel that way about a mechanic that amounted to hitting spacebar until you were high enoguh and then auto-flying towards your destination. The antithesis of gameplay.
Is right-clicking a flightmaster, selecting the closest destination, going afk while flight path happens, clicking on aviana's feather and auto flying towards your destination, and then garrison hearthing back better gameplay.

Removing flying didn't make gameplay better in any way, and in many cases, makes doing other activities more frustrating or annoying to complete.

shiba5

As a disabled person, I liked flying. I can barely walk in the real world and WoW is an RPG. It was escapism for me and one of my favorite things to do. I never auto flew towards anything - that's what FPs on rails are for.
After all the great content built around flying - Storm Peaks, Icecrown, Netherwing Ledge, etc... It's ridiculous that they say it's limiting and a bad idea - after 8 years of having it in the game. Their excuse of, "You can bypass content" is also easily debunked by the fact that they sell a way to bypass 90 levels of content. They should also remove epics, heirlooms with XP boosts, stealth and all the other myriad ways that facilitate bypassing content.
Twelve million people at peak seemed to really enjoy a game that you say has a terrible mechanic. WoW really took off when BC hit - and flying was a huge feature that set WoW apart from all the other MMOs.
Anyway, lack of flying was only one of the problems I had with WoD. I was holding out hope that flying would get turned on eventually giving me at least something fun to do.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Maybe youre doing it wrong and that's why your dps sucks? Demo has a lot of things to watch. Maybe saying its a bitch to play was a bit excessive, but its certainly more complicated than destro or any of the other classes Ive played (fire mage, enhance sham, undead DK, BM hunter). The fire mage and hunter are pathetically easy to play. The enhance sham is just busy/lots of abilities. Its not too hard, just mash a button when stuff is off cooldown. Im new to the DK and only made it for the crimson shadowmourne/deathcharger so Im not great with it. There is a on of abilities with the DK, but a ton seem like they are for pvp or tanking.

I didn't say my dps sucks, I do like 50k on darmac and operator, but a geared demo will do like 70k.

I do more single target with afflic though, until I get the 4 set. It's still a clunky dumb spec and I hope afflic is the way to go in 6.2.

ZenaxPure

Is right-clicking a flightmaster, selecting the closest destination, going afk while flight path happens, clicking on aviana's feather and auto flying towards your destination, and then garrison hearthing back better gameplay.

Removing flying didn't make gameplay better in any way, and in many cases, makes doing other activities more frustrating or annoying to complete.

Pretty much. People have this weird idea that ground mounts replaced flying mounts in WoD. That's not really what happened at all, flight paths have replaced flying mounts, and flight paths suck shit. The few times I leave my garrison to go and do something in Draenor itself (which nowadays is mostly just triggering my weekly botani invasion) I spend more time on a flight path than I do on my ground mount.

The logic just doesn't make any sense. If they actually wanted people on the ground they'd remove all forms of flying, not just the one you had manual control over.

shiba5

Pretty much. People have this weird idea that ground mounts replaced flying mounts in WoD. That's not really what happened at all, flight paths have replaced flying mounts, and flight paths suck shit. The few times I leave my garrison to go and do something in Draenor itself (which nowadays is mostly just triggering my weekly botani invasion) I spend more time on a flight path than I do on my ground mount.

The logic just doesn't make any sense. If they actually wanted people on the ground they'd remove all forms of flying, not just the one you had manual control over.

Yep, pretty much.
BTW, if you haven't seen these photos from the original PTR using a druid flight bug, Draenor by air looks amazing - much better than staring at a bunch of tree trunks.

http://imgur.com/a/HEEEs

Ultratech

Well this finally happened today:

Now comes the annoying/expensive part.

Congrats!

Now have fun getting all the materials (mostly Arcane Crystals needed for Arcanite Bars...lots of Bars).

Just realised the Eye of Sulfuras is the hard part to get! I got lucky, it seems.

Just learnt the plan for Sulfuron Hammer from Lokhtos Darkbargainer, now I need to get myself learning the Dark Iron Bar recipe. Think this might be my first old-skool Legendary.

Now have fun mining/buying Arcane Crystals, Blood of the Mountain, and hoping Sulfuron Ingots drop.

Fuck flying, bring back Have Group, Will Travel
Why reason did they give for removing that one anyway. Main difference I can tell with it is that it's just more time consuming/annoying to summon people in a raid.

Same here. I miss having that. :(

As for the reason...
Tom Chilton said:
The Have Group, Will Travel was popular because it is one more thing that shrinks the world and allows players to avoid being out in the world. We are trying to put more of an emphasis on players going out into the world to do stuff, so that is one of the ones that we are going to replace with something else

JSoup

Banned
Why reason did they give for removing that one anyway. Main difference I can tell with it is that it's just more time consuming/annoying to summon people in a raid.

They wanted to get people away from standing around in cities crowing for groups then waiting again for a direct port and to go see the world for themselves.

davepoobond

Lets not forget that flight master has a tax associated with it that slowly drains the economy of gold as well, while flying with your own mount is free

shiba5

Originally Posted by Tom Chilton

"The Have Group, Will Travel was popular because it is one more thing that shrinks the world and allows players to avoid being out in the world. We are trying to put more of an emphasis on players going out into the world to do stuff, so that is one of the ones that we are going to replace with something else."

OMG and garrisons, Facebook spreadsheet games, and LFD/LFR don't?
No wonder I don't recognize the game anymore.

ZenaxPure

Lets not forget that flight master has a tax associated with it that slowly drains the economy of gold as well, while flying with your own mount is free

Hmm? There is typically a one time cost before you can fly your flying mounts on a new continent. For most people that probably drains more gold. Well at least personally, I know I won't spend 5k gold on flight paths over the course of WoD's life which is what the MoP flying cost iirc.

RPGCrazied

Fuck flying, bring back Have Group, Will Travel

No flying makes the game super boring for me at max level. Sure its fun when leveling up and see the story. But after I just want to fly and take in the sights, like I have been doing since BC. No reason to take it out. Don't want to fly? Don't fly, you aren't being forced to.

davepoobond

Hmm? There is typically a one time cost before you can fly your flying mounts on a new continent. For most people that probably drains more gold. Well at least personally, I know I won't spend 5k gold on flight paths over the course of WoD's life which is what the MoP flying cost iirc.

i already spend that money anyway on mounts, so its just more im putting into flight paths i wouldn't normally.

No flying makes the game super boring for me at max level. Sure its fun when leveling up and see the story. But after I just want to fly and take in the sights, like I have been doing since BC. No reason to take it out. Don't want to fly? Don't fly, you aren't being forced to.

Easy to say that. Kills world PVP.

shiba5

Easy to say that. Kills world PVP.

Battlegrounds and dishonorable kills killed WPvP. The day Alterac Valley opened, WPvP died. Oh sure, you'd still get the occasional battle around Tarren Mill/Southshore, but nothing like the old days of 24 hour brawling where the skeletons would pile up and eventually crash Eastern Kingdoms.

You know how much WPvP I've seen in Draenor with its lack of flying? Zilch.
I hardly ever see anyone, period. I see more people when I go back to Pandaland where there IS flying.

ETA one more comment about WPvP: I leveled up another alt recently and I did see quite a bit of WPvP in at least one place - Hellfire Peninsula. Where there's flying.

So how easy is LK go solo on a lock or a rogue? Just killed him with my paladin. Gonna beat him to death with my warrior and DK later this week.

ampere

It's honestly hard to tell the impact that no flying has on making people go "out in the world" with Garrisons being a thing. There need to be strong incentives to go out and do stuff and low incentives to stay in a boring instanced hub.

Aviana's Feather is also a weird thing. It's like a custom flight path on a CD, but you don't really need to go out much for most activities it's sufficient.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/603376335873024000

The pet Imp, Felguard, Wrathguard, and Voidlord should be using the new high-res models in an upcoming PTR build.

Stop toying with my heart!

https://twitter.com/CM_Lore/status/601525761363816448
If that's the case, I think we'd rather focus on fixing the modern game.

I'd just like to point out this...gaffe here. I don't really want to crucify him for what could be something misspoken but..

He says fixing the modern game. What's wrong with the modern game blizzard? I thought WoD was the biggest bestest expansion yet, and 6.2 is the best one so far? Why does the game need to be fixed if we all spent 50 dollars on it?

Renekton

I'd just like to point out this...gaffe here. I don't really want to crucify him for what could be something misspoken but..

He says fixing the modern game. What's wrong with the modern game blizzard? I thought WoD was the biggest bestest expansion yet, and 6.2 is the best one so far? Why does the game need to be fixed if we all spent 50 dollars on it?
hmm not sure what you mean, they already said they are unhappy with several things and working to fix them.

Robin64

Now have fun mining/buying Arcane Crystals, Blood of the Mountain, and hoping Sulfuron Ingots drop.

Just looked this up.. oh shit, only one boss drops them, and at a 30% drop rate? Well this is gonna suck. I mean, luckily I have a few characters I can drag in there, but still..

ZenaxPure

Just looked this up.. oh shit, only one boss drops them, and at a 30% drop rate? Well this is gonna suck. I mean, luckily I have a few characters I can drag in there, but still..

They are BOE though, so you can just go that route. On my server they got like 100g per ingot, dirt cheap.

Robin64

What's amusing is people are trying to sell Blood of the Mountain for over 700g. That's silly, I can just farm that by resetting before killing any bosses.

ZenaxPure

What's amusing is people are trying to sell Blood of the Mountain for over 700g. That's silly, I can just farm that by resetting before killing any bosses.

I think it has a fairly low drop rate iirc. I remember it being my least favorite part to get when I was crafting mine.

Top Bottom